Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
my3dogsii

Do you know what this antique chair style is called?

My3dogs ME zone 5A
11 years ago

Except for lacking the 'mouton' legs and feet, it's very similar to some 'os de mouton' chairs I've seen online. I know I've seen this style before, but I can't recall what it's called. Its dimensions are - Depth is 25"; it's 25" wide along front of chair; seat is 18" from floor.

It's a bit reminiscent of this one posted at Cote de Texas recently, to the right of the fireplace.

Comments (18)

• Betsy418
    11 years ago

Is it Louis XIV armchair? I don't know antiques but my grandmother had a similar one and I believe that's what she called it.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Betsy! After I posted, I kept Googling and did find some various Louis style from XIII - XVIII. I hope some others chime in, but this may be as close as we get.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Repost this over on the Antiques forum. Someone there will know!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, cyn; I just did!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Oh good! I will keep checking to see what you find out!

BTW, I do like the chair! Forgot to say that.

• Betsy418
    11 years ago

You're welcome. I, too, forgot to say I love the chair--very nice lines. --Betsy

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

I have always known this style as Antique Flemish Chair. I did a google search and yap a lot of these came up.
    Love the chair! Is that your next project?
    Someone is in need of a chair studio!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Mary Ruth, I agree re style, but had to lol at the "chair studio"! Every time you post a pic of yet again another great chair find, 3 dogs, i groan in envy, and in admiration at the finished product you create. Lately, I have also wondered where the heck you're putting them all!! :>)
    Marti

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    11 years ago

Meant to say I do love the chair( I love ALL your chairs!) and can see it in natural or a light
    Linen....gorgeous!

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! I don't dare call my mother to tell her that I have found yet another one, and I NEED TO STOP! I truly have NO place for them, but the challenge and learning experience with each one is just what I love. And, just maybe, I'll learn something that can bring me a few dollars when I retire, although so far, I'd hate to give up any of my 'babies'. When I start tripping over them, it'll be easier to let go. :-)

On the Antique form, I got 'Jacobean Revival', and I did find an image that is very close. Now that Mary Ruth has weighed in, I see another Antique Flemish chair (link below) that is also very much like it. This one that, gulp, yes, I am buying for $45, is oak. Bargain? What do you all think?

The CL seller bought it to re-do, but has never gotten around to it. She is even including the fabric that she bought to re-do, which I have not seen, but she describes as 'nice, a rich looking tapestry fabric.' A friend who is in Northern Maine until Thursday AM is picking up this chair for me in our state capitol Thursday AM and bringing it to me, as he goes right through Augusta on his trip back south. HAPPY DANCE!

Here is a link that might be useful: Antique Flemish Chair

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

What a great learning experience too! I usually research the style so I know more about it, like all the interesting reading on the materials used, what the legs are called and how made. This way, you can specialize in one style or a few if you so choose, and you can spot the level of value with just a glance at a photo. Also in pricing what you will eventually sell.
    I like the Flemish because it relieves the lines of the Jacobean, William and Mary and the real heavy clunky 'church-like' heavily carved pieces of the English periods before it. The scroll leg is my favorite, which is how I ended up with loving the Empire style for my home.

I can't wait to see how you do this chair! Did you notice that some of the chairs of this style are done with nailheads as well?

Your eye for fabric is already such a PLUS for you!

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I don't know what they are called - but I remember my GM having old chairs scattered around the house that were similar to yours. She loved to line chairs around the wall - wherever she could squeeze one in. I would sure love to have one of them. Looked like she was ready to have a meeting.

The one thing I noticed about the chair you are inquiring about is the arms are not sloped like the Cote de Texas pic and the last one you posted. I like yours much better :).

I am imagining a future business/cottage industry for you! How does "ThreeDogDesign" or "3DogDesign" sound for a catchy name?? And your master piece, your first-upholstery job with the dog fabric can be your logo or "signature piece". I can just see it now , sitting in a little shop window under a catchy sign!

Don't you just love it when someone plans your retirement??

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

LOL too bad 'Three Dog Night' is already taken!

Once you know the root of a design, then you can see over the years that people adapt the furniture design to fit the era it is released. So, if like now, modern is hot, then they take only the leg, or stretcher idea of the chair for the new design. So, we have modern with a respectful integration of the old masters. Architecture does it all the time with columns etc. Furniture made closer to our time is more of adaptations of a style. There are companies that make 'reproductions' of styles, and those are more for those who want the true style in their homes with a more museum or more authentic feel to the home.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Tuesday - I have planned that already, so don't you worry! I love to create so much, that I know I will as long as I can.

I used to joke that my 'shop name' would be 'Dog Bottom Decor', as my previous generation of Brittanys had homing devices when I used to lay fabric on the floor of my sewing room/office to cut out. In a flash, they would appear from wherever they had been and lie down on the fabric. I now use my kitchen island as a cutting table.

Great info, MR! I know this chair that I am buying is old, but does that mean late 1800s to early 1900s - Don't know.

I have started the fabric portion of the 'bird chair', but won't do much as I have to go out to do yard work. It's slightly less humid than the past few days. Here's a preview, but I am using the original antique hammered finish nail heads and have to straighten most of them as I place them. They are not pounded in all the way at the bottom, so they look a bit 'off' in the picture.

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

OMG, that looks so good! I love hot it is coming out! You have been busy on cleaning the wood too! You are really moving on this! I feel like such a slouch for having my chairs just sitting there! LOL

I have to rest my arms from sanding the table yesterday. The vibration can still be felt in my arms and hands, shouldn't be doing it, but I love the work, makes me feel so good while doing it!

DH is working on the pantry off the kitchen and he got to the stage of putting the sheetrock on it, so now he is installing the new light at the ceiling. Then, I will have to prime and paint that small room, so I am saving some arm movements for that work.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I hear you loud and clear, Mary Ruth, My hands are a bit numb at times, and my right shoulder is so bad that even pain pills don't help at night. As Mum says, 'I am abusing my body', but I can't do something half way. YOU are smart to save yourself for painting. I don't know if I could do that in he heat, but you probably have AC - a rarity in Maine!

I stood between a floor fan and the work table to do the fabric and nails on the back of the chair as heat and humidity completely saps me.

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

Yes I we run A/C constantly now in the summer, but most of spring and fall have windows open. We did use the heat for about two weeks this past winter

• mary_ruth
    11 years ago

I just noticed that in the Cote de Texas photo, the ceiling was striped! LOVE that! I saved the photo for my inspirational file!