Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I chose the beautiful or the practical?

Posted by musicteacher (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 16:51

Some of you here made me aware of the Kolher Whitehaven sink. I confess that I am longing for it even though it is out of my budget and I already bought a practical stainless steel sink. I really like, among other things, that the drain is set on the side, meaning I could maybe put a trash can under my sink, that it puts the sink closer to me standing at the counter, and last but not least - so pretty!.
The white is beautiful, but I would like to hear from people who really use their sink. Is it hard to keep up? Pot marks an such? I remember as a kid scrubbing our white sink with comet until the bottom of the sink felt like sandpaper. I know there is a warranty, but I'm sure it would not pay for the expense of having it removed and re-installed. I'm hoping you will either convince me that it is so wonderful that it is worth the extra expense, will last for ever, and $900 spread over 10 years is nothing compared to the joy it will bring ......... or tell me that it is a real pain and I will be glad I chose something more practical. What say ye? (thank you)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I chose the beautiful or the practical?

if you were shopping for a wife or husband.. what would your answer be????

myself.. i dumped the high maintenance.. read that: expensive girlfriends.. long before i got married ... lol

since its apparently budget is an issue... as it would be for me... tell me.. or yourself... what handy things you can buy for your dream kitchen with the 800 dollars saved ... like a pretty nice .. new stove ... etc ....

i have used the depreciation logic many a time ...

in the alternative.. live your dream.. you only live once ....

good luck

ken

ps: let me put it this way.. from a stay at home dad ... for the 8 minutes a day i spend washing dishes to put in the dishwasher.. i could get a heck of a lot of other things i spend more than 8 minutes in front of .... unless you are willing to move the couch into the kitchen.. so you can spend hours gazing at it longingly ...yeah... yeah... i spend time prepping food next to it.. but i am focused on not chopping off my finger tips with the butcher knife.. not fondling the sink ....

pps: thought you might appreciate a whimsical attitude.. and a guy version of the decision process ...

o

You are too funny Ken, and I appreciate your insight.

o

And where does it stop? There will always be really pretty and expensive things that you admire if you look for them. The part that struck me is that you already purchased your new sink and you must like it or you would not have bought it. Since you asked, I would recommend you close that door and move on. There are plenty of places you can put $800 in a new kitchen to make your life easier- or if you're lucky enough to just be able to save it, do so and pat yourself on the back and smile. When your kitchen is complete, so many aspects will make you happy that you will never miss what you never had.

o

I married a guy like Ken - we still do 'pretty things' for the sake of pretty but when it comes down to something like a kitchen sink, I want a workhorse that I never have to baby. Stainless for me. And we use a similar depreciation logic. In fact, my husband is still spending the $$ he saved by tuck pointing the chimney himself....... close to 15 years ago! ;-)

o

I am more confused that Ken is over here...might be the recent posts over to the right. They have taken me to some strange new lands lately.

o

I have the Whitehaven farm sink in white and I love it! My sink gets used a lot. More than my dishwasher, more than my cooktop. It is extremely easy to clean. I do have the stainless steel grid which keeps my sink from getting scratched and it serves the dual purpose of allowing my hand washed dishes to air dry in the sink without being seen. I don't know your budget but I can tell you that the Whitehaven is even more practical than it is beautiful. It is absolutely the most favorite element in my kitchen and I almost didn't do it. I am so very glad that I did.

FWIW, I have a stainless steel sink in my other home and I hate it, It scratches easily, it is always water spotted, and it never sparkles.

o

Wise people here. My husband would love you guys! : )

o

I'm about a 180 from Ken I guess. When we redid our kitchen, we put in an IKEA domsjo sink, which fortunately wasn't expensive. It's a big, beefy white ceramic sink. We got the two bowl version, because each side is so big, but they have a single as well. After it was in, I remember very distinctly thinking, "Gosh,WHY don't we spend more time thinking about sink purchases?!?" I spend a LOT of time at my sink! This sink is such a pleasure to use, and so easy to keep clean that's it's one of my favorite parts of the kitchen. I'm not trying to talk you into the IKEA sink, just sharing that in fact, I think sink love is pretty important.

o

I'd stay with the stainless steel sink and spend the money elsewhere. It's a sink, a workplace. Stainless can take a beating and is so easy to maintain.

o

I love the side drain too!

For $408, i ordered from Lowes a white Blanco 440195, based on the loyal fans of it here. Can be drop in or undermount, and its made in several colors . Says its 80% granite

http://www.lowes.com/pd_40255-10882-440195-4_0__?productId=3259336&Ntt=440195+blanco&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3D440195%2Bblanco&facetInfo=

Maybe that would be a $$ compromise, you can search for reviews of it in the forum.

Mainly consider regret. Ive an additional stainless prep sink Im returning - too small and not happy with the stainless afterall

o

I love the dissention here. Other facts: we are keeping our old oak cabinets but painting them white (cathedral arches and all) because they are good quality, sturdy and fit our needs. AND my hubby helped me decide on the countertops. He never wants to be a part of the shopping until he sees me totally unable to decide and frustrated. After looking at Corian, granite and quartz, which he thought were all equally nice, he saw the soapstone and LOVED it - and believe it or not it was our cheapest option. I am at peace now. So:
Victorian faucet, soapstone, white cabinets, stainless sink? I wish this were someone else's kitchen. I would have all the answers then! : )

o

I had a white sink for 15 years,....never again. A pain to keep clean. I always was using bleach to get out stains. When we remodeled I got stainless and love it...no stains, no bleach, no babying.

o

I have an Kohler enameled cast iron sink, the Cape Dory undercount. I love my sink! It's been in for 7 years, and still looks brand new. I had a Franke stainless sink in my last house and it always showed water spots. The cast iron always looks clean. I use Bon Ami to clean it and there isn't a scratch on it. I think cast iron sinks stain when they are scratched, but if you clean it with something that doesn't doesn't scratch, that's not a worry. And I don't baby my sink at all.

o

We painted our cathedral arch oak cabinets too!
 photo CopyofDSCF0047.jpg
 photo CopyofDSCF0056.jpg

o

Bestyears: I love it! Your counters look really pretty with the metals in your kitchen too.

o

That Whitehaven would look beautiful with your soapstone. I have a Kohler white cast iron sink (different model) & I love the cast iron.

o

That's a lot of money to me for a sink so I'd save it and go with stainless. Have to admit though I never realized scratching a ss sink or watermarks was a biggie until GW. I look at it as functional and somehow that just never bothered me. I like to make sure mine's clean and that's about it.

Beautiful kitchens! Bestyears - what color are your walls?

o

shee -the walls are Coastal Fog, a Ben Moore color.

o

I love my white Kohler sink! One side is so deep and wide it can hold a dishwasher full.

Stains are easy. Use Soft Scrub with chlorox...the chlorox is very important, and for a quick clean, use a Magic Eraser.

The right kitchen sink makes a kitchen. I'll never go back to stainless.

o

if $900 was really a stretch for me, i would go with the stainless...
i have found that ZUD is the absolute best cleanser for getting things like metal marks off cast iron sinks- someone gave me that tip 15 yrs ago and i still haven't found a better cleanser!!

o

I've had a white single bowl Kohler cast iron sink for 20+ years and still love it. I wash pretty much all my pans and pots in it (never had a sink grid). It still looks great. Every now and scrub the pot marks off and let water and bleach sit in it for a few minutes.

BTW, I think it was pretty cheap at the time (builder upgrade instead of a double bowl SS). I'll never have a SS sink because the water spots bug me.

o

Only you know what a stretch that $900 is. If you can manage it, I would spend the money. But, I'm the kind of person who won't be ripping out my kitchen in 10 years, either. I will live with my renovations until the space looks really beat up before I spend the time and money to start over.

o

Musicteacher, I think Victorian faucet, soapstone, white painted cabinets, and an enameled sink. It doesn't have to be the Whitehaven though the side drain really does make under sink access easier. An enameled sink, IMO, goes better with the other elements you chose. WTBS, if you decide to stay with your ss sink you will quickly forget about the enameled sink and if your budget truly doesn't allow for it I wouldn't do it.

I always had a double sink and thought that I wanted a double again so I almost passed on the Whitehaven. DD has a single sink and loves it so she encouraged me to go with the Whitehaven because of the function. She was right, a beautiful sink but totally functional.

One concern though is that the enameled sinks are really heavy so you need to make sure that your cabinets will support it. The fact that they are oak makes me think they are very sturdy.

The Whitehaven on this site is less than $800.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whitehaven

o

I am not sure why there are only 2 choices here.

IMHO, if you put in the stainless, it will forever be the "sink you didn't love". OTOH it seems as though the cost is a real concern, which would make the Whitehaven less enjoyable if you feel foolish about the cost.

The best solution is a sink that has some of what you love about the Whitehaven but costs far less. Then, the slef dialogue won't be "darn i wish i had the white sink" or "boy I shouldnt have spent that much", but instead "gosh I was so smart to compromise a little on this lovely sink".

o

I just replaced my double-basin SS sink with a HUGE single basin SS. What I noticed when I was shopping for the single-basin sink (I bought a cheapo - LOVE it! Room to work!) is that sinks now are all squared off. I was able to find a sink in the size of the opening (33" x 22") with corners at the bottom that were curved rather than 90-degree angles, but it was not easy. The curved corners make cleaning the sink much easier, and that was a requirement of mine. Now that it is in, when I'm cleaning it, I am so glad I got the curved corners.

The other thing is, I would suggest not getting anything deeper than 8 -9 inches. Otherwise, it becomes back-breaking to wash dishes as you have to lean so far in to get stuff. I increased the depth from 7.5 - 9 and love it. IT's perfect.

o

If I could afford it I would get the Whitehaven. I think the stainless will look a bit more contemporary and the white sink against the counters would be beautiful.

o

I love the Whitehaven, but I just couldn't swing it. It was "easier" in the sense that I wasn't sure the white would work with my pale grey quartz and was contemplating one of the specialized colors -- which are well north of $1k. I have no regrets - there are so many places to splurge in the kitchen, especially as you get closer to done. I was spending so much money on hardware and tile etc etc that it was a relief to pick a sink that didn't fill me with panic over the price. My single bowl stainless Krauss is just awesome and cost me 1/3 of the Whitehaven in sea salt.

BTW if I had soapstone counters and really wanted to splurge, I might be tempted to get a farmhouse sink in soapstone! Or, if I wanted to be frugal, I'd probably opt for a Silgranit sink in anthracite to blend in with the counters. Either of those seem like great alternatives to consider if you're stuck between the Whitehaven and stainless.

o

its so funny to hear the varying opinions. Perhaps the quality has gotten better? I don't know what it is but my Whitehaven is a thousand times easier to maintain than any stainless sink I have had.

I also have the grates on the bottom, but I still abuse the sink and do not have any markings on it. It's such a breeze to clean and for me was well worth the $$$

o

Unfortunately I'm all about beauty over practical, but in reality, will choose practical if there's a LOT of money involved. When I built 6 years ago, I longed for a hammered coper range hood! Did I get it? NO! I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on one item when I knew there were so many other things I could have for the price of one. It's tough!

o

I also have a Cape Dory undermount sink, white and as has been noted--it's absolutely no problem to keep clean. I think technology has evolved a LONG way from back in the day.

My advice is to go with the beautiful option, as long as it is as functional as the cheaper alternative. After all, a kitchen is one area of your home that you are actively using literally every single day, more than once, over a long long long time span.

Assuming you can afford it, I can't imagine why you would even question the wisdom of creating a space that's as pleasing, as useful and as well designed as you can possibly make it! I absolutely would not put in a cheap sink if there is something nicer that you love and can afford. Actually, delete the 'would not' and change that to 'did not' :).

Good luck with your decision,
Ann

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here