Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know of a color very close to Powell Buff with no und

Posted by sis2two (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 16:50

I have been looking at countless paint chips trying to find a neutral color very close to Powell Buff by Bm that doesn't have green undertones. I have it in my kitchen and I love it there. It looks like dried wheat. In my foyer and hallways the sample looks greenish. If anyone knows of some suggestions please let me know. And Monroe Bisque goes even greener. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know of a color very close to Powell Buff with no

Cocoa Sand, Palm Desert Tan. It could be your lighting because Monroe Bisque did not look green in my house. Perhaps my lighting or window, facing direction of room might have been different.

o

We live in a wooded area with trees all around us so I'm sure that doesn't help.

o

I really like the affinity colors...maybe af-320 flawless?

Of course, I'm doing this by lamplight now...not the greatest.

o

BM Carrington Beige HC-93

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Carrington Beige HC-93

o

I think I may have found a color! Papaya by Benjamin Moore. I bought a pint sample and painted a large poster board which has now dried and it looks good. Doesn't appear to have any visible undertones so far. Thank you Annie and Teacats for your suggestions. The flawless went a little peachy and the carrington beige a little green. I'm sure being in a wooded setting is not helping matters.

o

Turns out Papaya was too light so I am back looking at paint colors for foyer and a bedroom. I just want a pretty beige that has no undertones and will look good in our home which sits iin the woods. I am so frustrated.

o

BM Lady Finger; Cornice Tan; Coastal Fog; Bracken Cream;Timson Sand

o

Sis, take a look at BM Shaker Beige.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaker Beige

o

Tibbrix- went to BM store and picked up two of the samples you suggested, Cornice Tan and Bracken Cream. The samples are so tiny and they don't have the bigger ones yet at my BM store so it's hard to tell. What are your thoughts on the Cornice Tan as to how it compares to Powell Buff? Because I think I want to go somewhat lighter. Lady Finger went a little muddy in my space, much like the PB did.

hollykay- Shaker Beige was one of the first ones I tried, but it didn't work. It seems the tried and true neutrals don't work in my space darn it!

o

If you open the BM page with the big square of Powell Buff in one window, then open another window and put the square of Bracken Cream right next to it. Bracken cream is much lighter and reflects a lot more light, i.e.: LRV is 73.52, while Powell Buff's LRV is 60.08.

Next, push your laptop screen away from you, and see how each color intensifies. That gives you and idea as to what the undertones are.

I did them next to the Powell Buff. It actually looks like the Cornice Tan is identical to Powell Buff, so scratch that color.

Bracken Cream and Cornice Tan are both from the Williamsburg Collection, which is new, and the stores don't have the samples in the larger cans yet. However, they can mix the color for you in a pint.

Your problem may simply be that yellows/creams/beiges don't do well in low and artificial light. Are you set on a beige? You don't have any pics of the hallway, do you?

o

sherwin williams antique white

o

Thanks Tibbrix! The color that I have in the foyer and upstairs landing is by Porter Paints called Sand Beige and looks very much like Sepia Tan by Benjamin Moore. It is a very orangey, peachy beige and I just hate it. I definitely want something neutral because I have lots of colors in rooms off of my foyer. Some of those are Ellen Kennon's Berry Red and Edgewood green. The kitchen can also be seen from the foyer which is Powell Buff. Our family room is Hampshire Gray by BM which is an olive green. I can try to take a picture maybe tomorrow and get my dh to help me post it. I'm not good at that.

o

pics would be so helpful. And it might amaze you what would turn out to be a neutral color in your foyer!

o

Did some large foam boards with Frappe today. Initially was thinking it would be too light, but then realized that it appears very light compared to the awful color I have now. I believe it is going to be the best choice out of all the other ones I've tried and it doesn't seem to have any screaming undertones. Hoping it will be a nice transition from my darker rooms! Thank you all for your help.

o

I have this one in my LR and dr and do not see any unertones

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here