Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Does anyone know of a color very close to Powell Buff with no und

sis2two
9 years ago

I have been looking at countless paint chips trying to find a neutral color very close to Powell Buff by Bm that doesn't have green undertones. I have it in my kitchen and I love it there. It looks like dried wheat. In my foyer and hallways the sample looks greenish. If anyone knows of some suggestions please let me know. And Monroe Bisque goes even greener. Thank you.

Comments (18)

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Cocoa Sand, Palm Desert Tan. It could be your lighting because Monroe Bisque did not look green in my house. Perhaps my lighting or window, facing direction of room might have been different.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We live in a wooded area with trees all around us so I'm sure that doesn't help.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I really like the affinity colors...maybe af-320 flawless?

Of course, I'm doing this by lamplight now...not the greatest.

• teacats
    9 years ago

BM Carrington Beige HC-93

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Carrington Beige HC-93

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Turns out Papaya was too light so I am back looking at paint colors for foyer and a bedroom. I just want a pretty beige that has no undertones and will look good in our home which sits iin the woods. I am so frustrated.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Lady Finger; Cornice Tan; Coastal Fog; Bracken Cream;Timson Sand

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Sis, take a look at BM Shaker Beige.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaker Beige

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix- went to BM store and picked up two of the samples you suggested, Cornice Tan and Bracken Cream. The samples are so tiny and they don't have the bigger ones yet at my BM store so it's hard to tell. What are your thoughts on the Cornice Tan as to how it compares to Powell Buff? Because I think I want to go somewhat lighter. Lady Finger went a little muddy in my space, much like the PB did.

hollykay- Shaker Beige was one of the first ones I tried, but it didn't work. It seems the tried and true neutrals don't work in my space darn it!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you open the BM page with the big square of Powell Buff in one window, then open another window and put the square of Bracken Cream right next to it. Bracken cream is much lighter and reflects a lot more light, i.e.: LRV is 73.52, while Powell Buff's LRV is 60.08.

Next, push your laptop screen away from you, and see how each color intensifies. That gives you and idea as to what the undertones are.

I did them next to the Powell Buff. It actually looks like the Cornice Tan is identical to Powell Buff, so scratch that color.

Bracken Cream and Cornice Tan are both from the Williamsburg Collection, which is new, and the stores don't have the samples in the larger cans yet. However, they can mix the color for you in a pint.

Your problem may simply be that yellows/creams/beiges don't do well in low and artificial light. Are you set on a beige? You don't have any pics of the hallway, do you?

• zippity1
    9 years ago

sherwin williams antique white

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix! The color that I have in the foyer and upstairs landing is by Porter Paints called Sand Beige and looks very much like Sepia Tan by Benjamin Moore. It is a very orangey, peachy beige and I just hate it. I definitely want something neutral because I have lots of colors in rooms off of my foyer. Some of those are Ellen Kennon's Berry Red and Edgewood green. The kitchen can also be seen from the foyer which is Powell Buff. Our family room is Hampshire Gray by BM which is an olive green. I can try to take a picture maybe tomorrow and get my dh to help me post it. I'm not good at that.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

pics would be so helpful. And it might amaze you what would turn out to be a neutral color in your foyer!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Did some large foam boards with Frappe today. Initially was thinking it would be too light, but then realized that it appears very light compared to the awful color I have now. I believe it is going to be the best choice out of all the other ones I've tried and it doesn't seem to have any screaming undertones. Hoping it will be a nice transition from my darker rooms! Thank you all for your help.

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

I have this one in my LR and dr and do not see any unertones

Here is a link that might be useful: Look here

• User
    9 years ago

Hemp Seed may be a good option. It's really difficult though to tell without pictures. Hopefully you found a good option!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Maybe if you don't find a BM color, try Behr Toasted Wheat. I love that color and there are no green undertones although some of the pictures o Houzz look to have such but in situ, no green undertones.

• User
    9 years ago

Old thread brought up by (now deleted) spam.