Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
metromom_gw

After pics - painted paneling

metromom
14 years ago

The votes were pretty evenly split when I asked (a long time ago) for opinions about painting my paneled family room, so I don't expect that everyone is going to love the results - but I think it's always nice to see how something turns out regardless of which side you were on, so here you go:

before:

after:

Comments (42)

• megsy
    14 years ago

I love it! Well done!

I actually love painted paneling.

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

While I love the warm, cozy feel of the "before" (and would have been a no vote), that's obviously not the look you wanted. That being said, the painted room looks great.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I remember that paneled room! but not that it was yours. I, too, think the before had lots of potential, but what you've done is indeed awesome! You really do such excellent things with your home. When I see pics, it doesn't seem like one of the older 60s houses at all.

Beautiful job!!

(Amazing how much darker your sofa looks now, isn't it.)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Though I love, love, love wood, there was just a little too much. Even for me. I would have painted only the paneling itself and darkened the rest of the wood, but I have to admit it looks beautiful!

• awm03
    14 years ago

What a lovely room you've created! It's wonderful.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

It looks great! Very light and open.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

I missed the original voting thread. Had the wood paneling been installed in a MCM home I would have voted "No". In this case it was just a lot of wood paneling in an average home. You did the right thing. The new look with the painted paneling is awesome.

• peaches12345
    14 years ago

Love it!

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Did you darken the floor? It doesn't look like the same wood tone.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

It looks beautiful. I think I might have painted the wall behind the television the same blue as you used for the backs of the bookcases.

• bestyears
    14 years ago

It's lovely! But most importantly, how do YOU like it?

• metromom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bestyears - I'm very happy with how it turned out. The room is so much lighter now that it's a totally different place. People keep asking me if we got new furniture or a new rug or a new this or a new that - it's all the same stuff, just looks different against a lighter backdrop (and Squirrel, no, we didn't change the floor - it just looks different now)

• teacats
    14 years ago

Gorgeous!!! Wonderful transformation -- light and elegant!

As you can tell -- I LOVE painted wood and panelling!

Jan

• mclarke
    14 years ago

It looks fabulous! You did exactly the right thing!!!

• User
    14 years ago

OMG! What a transformation! The wood was pretty, but I love the new look! Very well done!

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Very nice. Nice job on arranging the bookcases. And I like the touches of blue that pull your eye around the room. Well done!

• bonnieann925
    14 years ago

Amazing what a coat of paint and some new "goodies" will do. I LOVE it! What is the color? Great job!

• Sheeisback_GW
    14 years ago

What a difference! Very nice!

• whenicit
    14 years ago

Can I ask how you did this? I'd like to paint the paneling and bookcases in my parents family room (for them, with their blessing of course). Do you have to sand or clean the paneling with special product first?

Yours looks fantastic and professionally done. Great job.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Nice job! I didn't see the thread the first time around either, but I am almost always in favor of painting paneling. I love the pale blue inside the shelves.

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

I love it!

• jlsch
    14 years ago

Wonderful! What color did you use?

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Your room looks fabulous, I happen to like painted paneling.

• metromom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For those who asked about color - the paneling is painting BM Ballet White, but I have to warn you that there is something strange about this room that makes colors appear totally different here than they do in any other lighting in the world. The blue in the bookcases is a "custom blend" - didn't want to buy paint so I mixed a green and a blue that I had on hand until I liked it.

For the person looking for instructions - I went to the paint forum here and followed very specific instructions from a professional painter named Michael (user name Brushworks) - cleaned with dirtex, sanded, primed (hand to use a brush to get primer into the grooves) and then rolled the paint. We used a paint called Cabinet Coat on the built-ins and I can't say enough good things about it - it dries to a hard, smooth, almost factory-like finish with no brush strokes or roller marks (again, we followed Michael's instructions to the letter. I'm not normally a detail person but I didn't want to screw this one up!)

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I think it looks fabulous! Makes the whole room seem so fresh and new! Congratulations on a great job and on being so couragous. :)

• walkin_yesindeed
    14 years ago

I had voted for painting it, and this is why! it's gorgeous, so light and peaceful. And most importantly, *you* like it. Congratulations!

• yayagal
    14 years ago

Just beautiful, you made the right choice.

• susan209
    14 years ago

WOW, It looks wonderful and cozy, love the rug on the floor also, ties it all together. What a lovely room. I have dark paneling that I so want painted in my family room at the edge of my kitchen. I would use the cream that is in my wall paper so it would match without adding a new color. The room could use the light color as it is so dark. It's just finding a painter and it's plenty of prep work that I am unable to do.
    Yours looks just great.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Very pretty, though I admit I really like your before as well! You have a really lovely and cozy space! That's always my goal . . .cozy!

Justgotabme: My jaw is officially on the floor. Too much wood for you? You are encouraging painting wood? Is this someone posing as you?

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

It's beautiful and actually looks more warm to me than the before picture, which seemed to date the room. Your furniture and flooring look completely different.

• Pieonear
    14 years ago

Amazing! I love it.

• snickysnacker
    14 years ago

I love what you have done! Looks so pretty.

• Robbi D.
    14 years ago

Beautiful job! From someone that has also painted their paneling, I know how much hard work and effort you put into it. I love the custom blue mix in the back of your cabinets! Very comfortable and cozy room.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

It's wonderful. i am a big fan of painted paneling. Unless you have English limed oak or pecky cypress or chestnut or bookmatched walnut veneer...something with real architectural or historical significance, or exceptional wood... there's no reason not to, if you like it.
    Your room looks elegant and comfortable and fresh. Really lovely. And it sounds like you did a first rate job. Isn't Michael a fabulous, generous resource!

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I remember this room! It looks fantastic! I've always been a fan of painted paneling and you have done a superb job!

• angelcub
    14 years ago

Wow! Love the transformation. I would have been one to tell you to paint it. Way too much wood before. Now it's fresh and inviting, says come sit awhile. I like the way you painted the back of the bookcases a different color and picked it up in the pillows. 5 stars! : )

Diana

• gsciencechick
    14 years ago

Looks good! I recently did our kitchen walls (now must do cabinets), and one thing I could add is that it takes a lot of time to do the grooves and extra paint.

Our walls were already painted over the wood, so I just had to lighten them from a dirty cream color to white.

• elizgonz
    14 years ago

Metromom, ALL of your house projects have been fabulous transformations. I admire your taste, as well as your courage. I have a similar room with a brick fp and built-ins on either side. I think you have inspired me to paint it myself. I think. Maybe.

• whenicit
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice on how you learned to paint it -- I will go to the paint forum if I decide to be brave.

ElizGonz - I'll do it if you do it!!!

• loribee
    14 years ago

Your room looks so fresh and lovely...great job!

• elle3
    14 years ago

All that wood made your house dated and dark--now it's fresh and airy and just beautiful! Our family room was quite similiar, although we had a huge wall of brick around the fireplace instead of built-ins. We took down most of the brick and the dark wood paneling and never looked back. In fact, we started a trend in our neighborhood since many of the family rooms had the same overpowering wood.
    Your room looks fabulous!

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Love it!! Great job - you have made some wonderful transformations to your home ( I am thinking about the front of your home!!)

Smiles:)