|Someone posted on the IKEA thread that the old Billy doors wouldn't fit the new ones. |
They are changing the Billy! It will now be deeper, in order to accommodate items other than books. :(
Part of the Billy appeal for me is that it is narrow. Fits in so nicely into spaces and makes it look more like a built-in.
I always meant to buy extensions for mine. Kept putting it off. And now, out of stock locally, out of stock online. Very disappointed!
|The Billy bookcase? It's a classic, how could they discontinue it? Too bad.|
|Shocking story, Anele, so I had to run find out more. :) |
It's very unfortunate that the doors will no longer fit, but otherwise it looks like it's all improvements.
Shelves will be deeper. The Economist has a silly story saying this proves books are on their way out, that people don't buy them for books anymore, but when did they always, or even usually? Fact is, the shelves are currently reportedly 10.5" deep, and books have been getting larger for a long time. Too many of my books are deeper than that.
Shelves will be stronger -- and that alone should indicate they still expect people to purchase them to hold books. Photographs tastefully interspersed among some tzotskies from Tuesday Morning don't need more strength.
Being written about in The Economist does show what an icon this old friend is, though.
Some things a more sensible article pointed out: "So why is IKEA changing the Billy? And how? The furniture giant says it isnâ€™t messing with the classic Billy look but is making a few upgrades to improve the quality of its you-bolt-it bookcase line. Here is what Ikea is adding to the Billy starting in August 2014:
You know, Anele, other changes might not be retro-fittable, but the depth at least could still be sliced down to whatever's needed.
|Ugh! I agree Anele! I like the fact that they were shallow. I still use my bookcases for books. |
I was also sad when they redesigned the Expedit line this Spring.
Hmmmm.......come to think of it - they redesigned the Expedit line to save the forest and now they're using more forest to expand the Billy. I want both back in original form!
This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 8:28
|Ded, not discontinuing, but "updating." |
Rosie, yes, I read the same article before I posted! Most are positives, except I just do not like that added depth. Like you, I have some books that won't fit (esp my kids' books; many are oversized), but I just put them elsewhere or tuck them into the bottom shelf so they are not quite so noticeable.
So, I will suppose I will have to see just how deep these are. The bookcases I have that are deeper look so clunky, though. Dislike!
TheFoxes, I didn't know they messed with Expedit, too! And yeah, sounds like they are taking leftover forest and giving it to Billy! I guess he is the preferred child. :)
Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here