Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just washed my Silhouette blinds: how I saved $700.

Posted by dgmarie (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 16:36

Can you tell I'm proud? I wanted to share:

I have a bunch of Hunter Douglas Silhouette mini blinds and boy were they dirty. Dusty and little bugs inside of them. So I called a Hunter Douglas authorized cleaning service. He wanted SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS to clean 15 blinds. I was like OH OKAY and my husband wondered aloud how much NEW ones would cost. So I said what the heck, let's clean them ourselves. I got out the mini Bissel carpet cleaner (the kind with suction hose and two tanks and on-board heater) and just wet them and vaccumed out the water. We took them down and layed them on some thick towels in the kitchen to clean them. You should have seen the dirty water; it was BLACK. I mean, these were white blinds and they looked dusty but apparently they were filthy. And then since they are 100% polyester they dried in minutes and voila. Clean blinds. No water stains or marks or anything. I think I could have taken them outside in the sun and srpayed off the dust with the garden hose and it would have worked, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just washed my Silhouette blinds: how I saved $700.

Great idea! It's so gratifying to clean something and then see the waste water really dirty. You know you're really making a difference. I just cleaned the carpet in our motorhome (a once a year job) and wow, was the water black! It will get dirty again, but at least I know for now, it's a LOT cleaner.

o

LOVE it! Saving your post for future reference.

Go out tonight and celebrate :)

o

Heck, it would be worth buying the carpet cleaner just to do this! I've never had the courage to do anything but vacuum my Silhouettes. Thanks so much for posting this!

Did you use anything besides water to clean them?

o

I used the carpet cleaning solution that comes with the Bissel Little Green Machine. And turned the water heater on. I also ran the bottom end under the facet to get the dirt out that collects there. If you have these you know what I mean, the bottom plastic piece. I did not wet the roller mechanism or the top housing. Just the blinds.

Just to point out mine is the one that plugs in and so the vaccum part has lots of oomph. It's not the battery kind.

o

Good for you. I don't own anything I can't wash myself.

o

Here's a photo!
Photobucket

o

How do you wash the cords?

o

Do you think this would work on Hunter Douglas Duette shades? They're probably not the same material as the Silhouettes which look to be more fabric-like in nature from dhmarie's photo. I have a Green Machine that only gets used when the dogs...never mind, TMI. ;-)

o

If the cords are dirty (mine weren't) and you are handy, you can take them off and add new ones. Or try to wet vac them as I did here.

Silhouettes are 100% polyester.

o

Thank you! Saving this post and printing it... This forum is wonderful with members like you who share valuable information.

o

Always wanted the Silhouette blinds but never tried because of the cleaning chore. What would happen if they were washed in a bath tub? Are they easy to snap on and off the window? Wish everything could just go in the dishwasher,lol, I much prefer gardening!

o

I would not recommend soaking them in the tub. The method I used was exactly what the professional was going use, spray and vaccum out, minus his special fluids. I used carpet solution since it is no suds and no rinse.

To get them off the window you remove the entire bracket with a screw driver into a slot.

I would recommend anyone who does this tries on a window that isn't noticeable as it may not work on your blinds or your fabric. I wouldn't want anyone to ruin them as they are expensive to replace.

o

I can't thank you enough for this tip!!! I have Silhouettes for four years and -- I was a smoker... so my silhouettes had yellowed and I was stressing after calling the pros and getting an estimate for about $750.00. I read your tip, ran out and bout the Bissell Little Green and have been cleaning my Silhouettes all day! INCREDIBLE! They are bright white again! I'm shocked!!
I bought the new Little Green that has the turbo brush and have been using that. 3 out of 4 are done and hung and they look beautiful! I took a break before finishing the last one and had to logon to this site just to send you a HUGE THANK YOU! I am sooooooooooo Happy!

Thank you so much again for sharing this! (PS-Love the Bissell Little Green, too!!!)

o

I don't have Silhouette blinds, but am impressed at the money you've saved by doing this. Why not do everyone a favor and post this in the cleaning tips forum, too? I'm sure that there will be A LOT of happy homeowner's with these blinds that would like to know this and would appreciate saving that much money!

Heidi

o

I may have to try this. I have Silhouttes that are 13 yrs. old and have never cleaned them. The weird thing is, they really don't look dirty. I had Graber crystal pleated shades and ended up replacing them after trying to clean them in the bathtub. They still didn't look clean afterwards. I have a Little Green machine that I use to clean up cat barf. It works fabulously. Just a heads up for people with barfing cats. LOL.

o

Yeah!!! I'm so glad this worked for you. Mine did not look that bad, really they looked white, but the dust/dirt I got out of them was BLACK like coal. Amazing. I love my little green machine with turbo brush (and heater). Soooo much more suction than the battery version.

o
I think the photo link got broken.

Photobucket

o

Mine did look pretty bad -- really, I was getting upset. I love Silhouettes and they were so yellowed/dirty that I was ready to replace but with something different that was "cleanable." That would have taken forever and a lot of money because this is a focal point -- large bay window in my living room. The Silhouettes were costly enough and I was really stressing. I can not get over how beautifully bright white they are again! They look new! What a home run!

o

Oh, I have to add that I had to have my contractor come over to show me how to remove and put back the blinds... (just had my kitchen re-done, so my contractor has been in and out for weeks.) Anyway, I am not handy at all, so I called him first after trying on my own without success. He got them out in two seconds and -- ok I admit -- it took me about five attempts with him coaching, but I finally got it and it's very easy after all.
Thankfully, I have a wonderful contractor who fully knows I can't even hang a picture without destroying a wall. He was more than happy to help and he's stopping by tomorrow to see how they came out. I called to tell him how gorgeous they look and he's amazed too and really wants to see this!

o

Dgmarie, how did you get the silhouettes to open and lie flat as shown in your picture? I am going to have to make sure I keep this because I have one silhouette and one luminette blind that will at some point require cleaning.

Thanks for the great tip.

o

When you open them all the way (while hanging up) you can get them to close flat. I took them off in that position. It can be done while off the wall but someone will have to hold the top of them while you pull the cords to flatten them out. Then I put them on top a thick beach towel and did one side and then the other. I did not use the turbo brush. I did use LOTS of spray mixture/water.

Again, I would recommend seriously you test in a small spot because I would not want anyone to wreck their blinds. They are not cheap. Mine were just the plain polyester kind, not fabric or linen or anything fancy. I did not wet the housing mechanism because it might rust. And I was gentle with it. Only vaccuming in one direction (side to side).

o

Can you tell us exactly which Bissell model you have? I looked online and there are so many different models. Also, do you have an idea of what you paid for yours?
I have a Bissell carpet steam cleaner, not the one with the on board heating element, just the basic model. I think I paid around $100 for it but regularly see it for around $75. It's one of the best investments I have ever made. It does a surprisingly good job on the rugs. My friends borrow it frequently and they are shocked at how much dirt it sucks out of their dirty rugs. The water sucked out of the carpets and rugs looks like yoo-hoo!
One more thing, Bissell makes a powder product called Bissell Booster that you add into the water when you add the carpet cleaner to the tank. It really works and greatly improves the cleaning ability of the unit. It's very hard to find, but I have purchased some online. It's around $10 for the small plastic jar, but it lasts a very long time since you only use a small amount at a time.

o

I'm not sure the exact model, but it is pictured above. I think it is this one:

I bought it at Walmart for like $80.

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Green Pro Heat

o

You amaze me. :)

I would have been certain I would destroy them. Good job!

o

I bought the same one pictured above and it is Model # 1425 - Bissell Little Green - Proheat Turbobrush. I bought it at Target for about $80.00.

o

Any feedback, now almost a year later, on how they are holding up after cleaning? I mentioned this to a Hunter Douglas sales rep recently (actually sent her the thread) and she went bonkers. I'd love to hear that they held up fine.

o

I washed my silhouette blinds last week and also saved a lot of money. I tied them up on my clothes line hosed them down with water and had a bucket of tide and water. I soaped them down with a misro cloth both sides with the blinds closed rinsed them with the hose and let them air dry. Wow they were diry! I was very proud of myself and saved a ton of money. Now they look as good as the day I got them.

o

I have pictures how can I post them?

o

I got a quote for $1000 to clean my blinds and then went searching for other alternatives and saw your post about The Bissel Little Green Machine to clean them, so I bought the little thing for $70 and gave it a shot. The blinds that were on the North and West facing walls cleaned up just fine with this process. The one on the East wall was just black with mold at the bottom where it never gets light. After a few runs with the Bissel I thought "this is going to take forever", so I put it in the tub with a solution of Oxyclean… 2 hours later it is far from perfect but – wow, so much better than it was! So for those that were wondering what would happen if you wash them in the tub… from my experience – they just get clean! ( don’t put the top with the roller bit in the water)

o

Hey how funny this post shows up on the first page of a google search for cleaning these blinds so many years later. I wanted to add they still look fantastic and have since washed other sets of these blinds in my home with the same results. As always YMMV, and these were originally 1998 blinds, 100% polyester. Good luck and happy cleaning.

o

Getting ready for graduation Open House and noticed that my Silhouettes were streaked and stained by rain getting in the window. I just knew I would have to get them replaced. I logged on and read this post and put three scoops of Oxyclean in my jacuzzi tub (no, I did not turn on the jets:) and filled with warm water. As I was putting the blinds in the water the stains started to disappear! I let them soak for a minute, rinsed and hung them back up and they look great! Thanks for the tip...saved me a bunch of money....mine were also the original's I purchased in 1998. I really love them...

o

Just had whole house renovated with modern look. Really like the look of Silhouette blinds, but just had a quote done and they are really pricey! Just read the cleaning tips and is it really that easy? I am not very DIY! I'm scared to spend all that money and regret it later. Need reassurance.....

o

While some of your information is helpful, its disappointing that you've removed the information posted in recent years that reveal a few things lacking in your posts. If Silhouette owners follow your directions with the room darkening Silhouettes they will ruin them. Mishandling them in terms of cleaners or temperatures also will damage them, so while one may save money cleaning their own - it is not always the "cheapest" choice as new ones cost $$$.
Perhaps you'll not delete this post as you've done others in the past (including posts by those who ruined their Silhouettes attempting to cleaning them themselves) so others will see there are reasons professional cleaning is recommended by Hunter Douglas. Just as in other things - like carpet cleaning etc, you can clean them yourself, however the outcomes while "cheaper" may not be the same. For example, the little cleaning machine works, just like a the "Rug Doctor" works for cleaning carpet. However, while some may be thrilled with the outcome, there are others who understand why the "Rug Doctor" machines aren't putting any reputable professional carpet cleaners out of business.
Having cleaned literally hundreds of Silhouettes, I'm familiar with the product. I could show pictures of Silhouettes ruined by "blind cleaners" who didn't really know what they were doing - not to mention home owners - that are used as illustrations in the classes we teach on cleaning Silhouettes for professionally minded blind cleaners.

o

Just read this thread. Although it's a year later, Problindcleaner, why do you say threads were deleted? I've been using The Home forum for a very long time and find the info extremely informative.

o

I'm not sure who posted this here today, but it came just in time, my Silhouette blinds need to be cleaned,I have the green machine and am going to try..... got an estimate that was 550 for theses and the lucettes..... trying this sounds great!

o

I'm not sure who posted this here today, but it came just in time, my Silhouette blinds need to be cleaned,I have the green machine and am going to try..... got an estimate that was 550 for theses and the lucettes..... trying this sounds great!

o

Wonder how the original blinds are holding up 4 1/2 years later. Cleaned again? Is the OP still out there to report back?

I wonder how the blinds are cleaned professionally. Those rug cleaners from the supermarket that use water do wreck the carpet over time!

o

Snookums2 - After researching on-line, and according to HD, the silhouettes need a professional injection/extraction cleaning service. Hunter Douglas 800 number can recommend a service in your area.
Ilene- 84 - Good luck. I read somewhere to use distilled water when spot cleaning so you may want to consider it. I would definitely test it, but it seems like it worked for the others :).

o

I'm interested if anyone who cleaned their blinds is around.... wondering if they held up or if they did any damage to the blind. I know what HD recommends, and now I'm thinking of having them cleaned professionally.

o

I'm not the original poster. But a year ago I did use my Little Green Clean Machine (old style, no heat, etc) on my daughter's older Duette blinds that had some icky staining on them when they bought the house. I had to be real aggressive on two of them. Came out great, still holding up fine.

I didn't soak them. Just machine-sprayed lightly with solution, then suctioned up. Did that over and over where the stains were, and maybe just once or twice on the rest of the blind that was not stained. Suctioned them as dry as possible as I went. Compressed them overnight to make sure the folds were good.

I found it easier to remove the pleated fabric from the headrail and bottom rail before I cleaned them, but I'm sure it would be fine not to remove them.

I have also ironed the pleats when for some reason they were all wonky and crappy looking and she was thinking she'd need to replace. Again, no problem. Just time-consumming.

o

They are just polyester, it is easy to clean and many have done it successfully. Polyester doesn't easily shrink or become damaged by simply dunking in a tub and rinsing or using a carpet cleaner.

BTW a pro extraction service just does the same thing as the Little Green but with more power. That power might be needed for carpets with pile, but a thin sheet of polyester? Nope.

I'm sure "problindscleaner" doesn't like word spreading that his or her services may not be necessary!

(I don't own this type of blinds, BTW so I have never cleaned them at all but I sure would not pay several hundred dollars for a blind cleaning service!)

o

Thank you dgmarie and everyone else for your help! I did as suggested, used Little Green Machine to clean my Silhouette blinds in my LR/Dr as stated they came out looking great, the water turned black. I left them on the window since with extraction method I was told they don't remove the blinds. To clean the cords I wound up using diluted bleach on a clean rag, the cords look as clean as the blinds.

Then I did same to Hunter Douglas Luminettes, I poured cleaning solution into a spray bottle, worked each panel individually from top to bottom first closed, extracted from back too, and then open. Several hours later I have clean window treatments, my least expensive estimate for these 3 shades was 875.....I am very happy and proud!

o

Good for you---you saved a bundle! The older I get, the more I realize you can do so much yourself rather than throwing money at it. And good thing, since we are both retired now and have more time than money.

For other readers, I wanted to mention that in my earlier post I said I have ironed the pleats also. I should have mentioned that the wonkiness of the pleats had nothing to do with the cleaning of them. I should have said that these were some other cellular blinds at her house that had a different problem due to being extended for a long, long time in the hot sun before they bought the house. And then there was a major ceiling leak. My point was that they were salvageable by ironing.

o

I went to sears to look at the little green machine and was wondering how it works because the attachment looks to big to fit inside the silhouette. Is there another attachment i need to purchase or do you just suction out the water without going inside the silhouette.

o

This is brilliant! Thank you! The previous owners put what I think are Hunter Douglas blinds that sure look a lot like the pictures of the Sillhouettes or maybe Nantuckets. They are dirty and I've been wondering what I can possibly do to clean them. I have a Bissel Little Green Machine too... unfortunately it's also used to umm resolve dog incidents. But I've been thinking about buying a new one (this is my 2nd) since the spray head isn't working correctly anymore.

o

twins99---you just clean them from the front of the fabric and basically, all the dirt comes out that way with the suction you get with the Little Green. You don't have to get the machine head into the spaces.

pricklypear---I had the same problem with the nozzle but it started working after I soaked the spray head in vinegar overnite. I think it's that tiny pinhole on the nozzle that gets clogged.

o

Try to start from the top and work down the water and dirt does drip a little. I tried it in a hidden spot toward the middle at first, which made the whole process messier for me. I noticed a small area on the bottom most row in the middle of my largest blind (covers 3 windows) where it looks as though some dirt is on the inner part of the blind, I plan on going over it with the little green machine and hope that it comes off (only noticeable when shade is closed). But other than that they look as clean as they were when new!

o

Try to start from the top and work down the water and dirt does drip a little. I tried it in a hidden spot toward the middle at first, which made the whole process messier for me. I noticed a small area on the bottom most row in the middle of my largest blind (covers 3 windows) where it looks as though some dirt is on the inner part of the blind, I plan on going over it with the little green machine and hope that it comes off (only noticeable when shade is closed). But other than that they look as clean as they were when new!

o

I have a carpet cleaning machine, but when my Silhouettes need cleaning I will try my Ladybug steam cleaner, while they are still hanging.

Just a guess at this point in time, but I suspect it would work.

It has removed extensive mildew from a polyestercarpet next to the shower with no problem, and made it look like new.

o

Got a $1532 estimate for cleaning blinds of a remodeled home. Bought a $25 inflatable swimming pool, filled it with water, mild detergent and rinsed. They are clean as new. It took me 3 hours with some help from my better half. 30 blinds , 452 sq ft, some as wide as 6 ft.

Now, a professional blind cleaner may still show me why my output is marginally sub-optimal (which I still doubt), but for my needs and budget, I think it worked out best. Friends have already commented on how good the shades look.

Professional cleaners do not and cannot guarantee better than DIY results. Read their fine prints.

o

I would like someone to send me pictures of their Silhouette blinds before and after they have been cleaned with A Bissel Little Green Machine. I don't own one, but would like to buy one . I would like to see the finished product first, before purchasing.

Thankyou

o

I would like someone to send me pictures of their Silhouette blinds before and after they have been cleaned with A Bissel Little Green Machine. I don't own one, but would like to buy one . I would like to see the finished product first, before purchasing.

Thankyou

o

Thankyou

o

I cleaned mine with the attachment to my carpet cleaner. I hosed them down first, and used the carpet cleaner accessory for furniture(the one that just sprays and sucks, no spinning action) and it worked great. They look brand new. I've had mine for 20 years and only ever vacuumed them. I did both sides and the water was black! It was worth the time. I will post before and after pictures.

o

Hi all I also have 10 HD Silhoutte blinds that needed cleaning. I did buy the machine and started cleaning the first blind. I must say it does clean very well however, it is a mess and time consuming. My wife and I decided to do it the easy way and if it didn't work I was willing to give up and buy new blinds. We filled the tub with water about a third of the way and added Oxyclean (generous amount) and simply soaked the blinds for a few minutes each and rinsed them out. Let the blinds drain out in the tub afterwards. I could not believe my eyes when we put the blinds up. They were like new again. I cannot believe how much HD dealers charge for cleaning these blinds. it only cost me the price of a box of Oxyclean and 1 hour of my time.

o

Hi all, to those of you who have used Oxiclean or other oxygen bleach on these -- how much did you use? Jackb said "a generous amount" but I'm wondering how much that is. I've got mildew spots on the bottom third of my Silhouettes. I've been soaking them for 2 hours in about 1/3 of a tub with 5 scoops of oxy bleach powder with some gentle rubbing every so often. So far I'm not getting any spots going away.

I tried the Little Green first, with them hanging, but had no success, so now I'm trying the soaking, but maybe I'm not using enough oxy?

Any reccos? Thanks!

o

Sorry for the late respons Teusdayschiled
I have used quite alot of oxyclean. my blinds didn't have mildew spots but they did pick up alot of dust for over 8 years. my house was rented and the tenant did nothing to maintain a clean house. when i started cleaning the blinds the water was turning dark gray. I did the process few times and each time adding few scoops of oxyclean. i used a large pan to rinse off each blind while holding it open. this did the trick and my blinds are as new. I hope you were able to clean yours.

Regards,

Jackb115

o

I recently bought a home that had Hunter Douglas Silhouette shades in the kitchen. They were about 6 years old and had never been cleaned. As I wasn't the one who paid the high prices for them, I had nothing to lose. I took them down, put them in the bathtub (head rail and all) and soaked them in laundry detergent and bleach. I rinsed them and let them dry on towels for a couple of hours. They were like new and I rehung them. Don't know what all the commotion is about. They work beautifully.

o

I recently bought a home that had Hunter Douglas Silhouette shades in the kitchen. They were about 6 years old and had never been cleaned. As I wasn't the one who paid the high prices for them, I had nothing to lose. I took them down, put them in the bathtub (head rail and all) and soaked them in laundry detergent and bleach. I rinsed them and let them dry on towels for a couple of hours. They were like new and I rehung them. Don't know what all the commotion is about. They work beautifully.

o

Never use bleach on sihouettes

o

I'm an interior designer and installed Silhouettes throughout my home 20 years ago. They've been professionally cleaned several times. The last time, it was disappointing - several hundred dollars for a very poor job and wouldn't return calls to rectify. This autumn I decided to attempt cleaning them myself and made the decision to clean (perhaps risk) the smallest blind as a test run. This is the process I used for the 1st and subsequent blinds:

1 - Filled the walk-in shower with warm water (about 2") & Oxyclean according to directions
2 - Soaked blinds for 5-10 minutes, used a soft bristled manicure brush to gently run it left to right, then right to left to help loosen dirt and insect remains. In a few places, the brush wouldn't dislodge the nastier stuff. I taped 2 wooden bbq skewers together for length (pointy sides at taped joint) and used the flat side to gently dislodge) by scraping the remains between the sheer fabrics that had stuck.
3 - Used handheld shower (gentle spray) to rinse, top to bottom
4 - Hung over shower curtain rod that was placed in the center of shower; tilted top and bottom rails from hi to lo until water stopped pouring out (make sure curtain rod is firmly in place. If you don't have a horizontal tile lip to place the rod above for > stability, consider another way to get as much water out as possible to lessen the weight prior to hanging on rod)
5 - Let air dry with the help of a small fan for about 30-60 minutes depending on size
6 - Hung back in place overnight unrolled; on the 2nd day, I rolled completely up thinking that could help eliminate any puckering for about 12 hours. I allowed the 1st blind to hang for a month to test this out)

Worked like a charm! Seriously, had I known it was this easy, I would have saved myself BIG bucks over the years.

If using a shower curtain rod, place in the center of the tub (or purchase a new one for a fraction of the cost of sending out to clean).

Burt, I agree with greywings. Could the others that fall apart be knock-offs and not be as well made as Hunter-Douglas? In my personal situation, it was easy and they look great without any puckering. I will still be calling a professional cleaner for 2 that are over 60" wide because they won't fit in the walk-in shower, but am still thinking of a way to do myself!

After the test run, I was able to clean 3 in a couple hours (2 were French patio door coverings that are nearly 6' tall).

The key is handling the blinds "GENTLY" and not soaking which could (surmissing here) could loosen adhesive on the veins - also the reason to use a fan to dry quickly. Nothing in full force to alleviate any stretching that could result in puckering.

Hunter Douglas' disclaimer recommends using the services of a professional blind cleaner who cleans ultrasonically or injection/extraction. Because this worked for me, I cannot say this will work for anyone else's blinds. If you have any doubts, I highly recommend a professional cleaner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here