Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deltabreeze

color brainstorm

deltabreeze
14 years ago

I will repaint our 15x15 foot master bedroom. The pine entertainment center is gone and medium toned wood floors (that match the rest of the house) are being put down as I type. The roomÂs sleigh bed and off-white shutters and trim will stay. The room gets steady, ample light.

The roomÂs new color should work with the yellow walls that run through much of the house and the wood floors (see pic of LR for the yellow and floors).

The color also should work with the houseÂs exterior blue-green siding (visible from the bedroom).

I donÂt want more yellow. We already have two red rooms.

My inclination is to do a lighter version of the exteriorÂs blue green or mocha. The master bathÂs walls are mocha and the tiles are a soft swirl of off white, beige, and pink. You can see the house's exterior color through the window of the DR.

What do you suggest, oh wise ones?

Comments (9)

• barb5
    14 years ago

Even tho I am not a blue person, I have fallen in love with BM Palladian Blue, based on the pics I have seen on this forum. Reference the Windham Cream thread to see some of the Palladium Blue pics.

• marthaelena
    14 years ago

If you want to stay in the "blue" tones, I suggest Sherwin Williams "breezy"
    It goes nice with your exterior and with the yellowish paint of the rest of the house. Also with the white windows and the color of your bed.

If you want to stay away from blue, a nice color that I have seen in houses with your color scheme is Sherwin Williams Koi Pond (is a green color)

PD
    I would not say I am a "wise" one :)
    - but most of the time I select the colors at my place of work.

Good luck.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Marthaelena's blue, which I guess is Sherwin Williams "Breezy" is absolutely gorgeous, in my opinion. I love how it contrasts with the dark wood tones and white trim in the rooms she posted. Wish I'd seen it earlier, when I was on my blue search for my bathroom, sigh. I may have to redo what I've already done. I think it would look lovely with your dark floors and sleigh bed.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Deltabreeze, what color is your living and dining room. I'm always looking for nice yellows and those rooms have always attracted me.

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh sure, the color (matched by computer) is BUTTER -- by restoration hardware. It is a very simple yellow. Not very sophisticated, but happy and light.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I have a blue and a teal bedroom, and I just have to say I am not in love with blue as a bedroom wall color. I love the look of the room Marthaelena posted. It's just somehow LIVING with the blue that is less than perfect. Blue is sort of a "blue" mood color, what can I say. I had never noticed it until I did up my blue room. That said, if it was accented with tons of warm colors like yellow, wood tones and beige, might be better. But even then . . . I have done all that in my rooms, and if I had to do it again, I would go with the mochas like you said, or neutral green, something soft and greyish as a green, like a sage. Or a buttercream color. Then accent with blue.

Now this may not be an issue with some people, and like I said, I LOVE the color blue. It seems to be less of a problem with blue carpet than walls. My mom's house is blue with peach accents. Peach or even better maybe terra cotta might look good in there.

Ignore me if you just love blue walls, this is just food for thought!

Now blue bathrooms, that's a whole other story!

• User
    14 years ago

Deltabreeze you have a beautiful home. I like the idea of the color close to the exterior of your home or one of the blues ME (below) suggested. Your hubby would still get to keep blue, just a milder shade of it.

MarthaElena, those are both beautiful rooms you posted. I especially love the second one with the dark woods and the soft blue walls.

• vavavoom
    14 years ago

What about Gray? I just did my dining room in BM Chelsea Gray. i love it. And i love yellow and gray together!

• deltabreeze
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I like the idea of a greenish neutral (maybe a green-grey or EK's ashen green or lichen). What I worry about, however, is clashing with the outside siding (which we really are fond of). The siding is green-grey with a lot of blue in it.

Oh crud, color obsessions have begun!!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!