Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

15 hours to pick a front door color!

newenglandsara2
11 years ago

Hi there, I would love some help with our front door color! The house color is Benjamin Moore's Mount Saint Anne (a blue-ish/gray-ish/green-ish), and the time is Decorator White. We don't want black, gray, red or purple for the door, but we do want something cheery and a bit artsy (since I am a crafter.) Do you think one or more of these greens/yellows work better than the others? Or other color suggestions? (We are not fans of the bottom right color or of the top two on the right...)

Thank you in advance!

Sara

Comments (47)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

I like the yellow on the center stile in the bottom row. Second would be one of the two greens on the left (top and bottom). Nice colors!

• busybee3
    11 years ago

my favorite is the yellow in the center. i would probably try different yellows and forget about the greens.

but, if you want green, my favorite is the green on the top left.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

I agree with Chibimimi - my fav is the center yellow. Or, since you're a crafter, go across the color wheel and get a complimenting orange tone!

Inside my house, I have Ben Moore 'Wythe Blue' in a hall and upper landing. A bedroom off that hall in BM 'Ansonia Peach' - a historic color. As I go up the stairs and see those colors near each other - they are just beautiful! Not that I am suggesting that color, but blue and orange tones look great together.

• User
    11 years ago

in order of preference

1. top left green
    2. bottom green center
    3. yellow center
    4. bottom left green

Have fun

• User
    11 years ago

I like the top left green, followed by the bottom left green.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Of those colors, top left green. I second the idea of an orange-ish door. Coral? Maybe a shade of tangerine? It's such a hot color right now. Pantone's color of the year and all, and I think it could compliment the pretty house color. It would be cheery, artsy, and fun!

• suero
    11 years ago

Definitely the yellow.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Green! Though I really like the paler fresh greens on the left, I'm wondering whether they'd seem too bright on a larger scale. I'd paint a large swatch of each color you're considering on a piece of cardboard or a large piece of art paper or whatever you have around, and tape them up to get a better idea. I'm guessing I would end up choosing the darker leaf green at the bottom. The colors of your house and trim are gorgeous.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    11 years ago

How about a deep golden yellow? Or, as has been suggested - a deep, bright orange would look great too. I know you don't want red, but I also think a bright red would look great, i.e. BM Heritage Red.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

I like the yellow or the green to the left of the yellow. I probably like the green better. I think an orange would be nice but a darker orange. like a burnt orange. That could just be because I have those colors in my house though :)

In this pic from a long time ago you can see the orange of the DR against the family room walls of blue.....

• wearybuilder
    11 years ago

yellow feels warm, homey, fun, and seems right to me for some reason! LOL

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

The only color that would work is the first green. All the rest of 'em are 'off' in one way or another.

• wearybuilder
    11 years ago

yellow feels warm, homey, fun, and seems right to me for some reason! LOL

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

If I had to pick one of your colors, I'd pick the yellow. But I think a coral would look cool. Or red, but I know you don't want red.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I am not sure of any of these. How about a many shades deeper version of the Mt St Anne?

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you SO much for the wonderful input! It is most appreciated. I know in my mind that an orange or red would look good, but it's just not "me." We are leaning towards the upper left green ("Dill Pickle"), but I am worried that it will be too bright. I also love the idea of yellow. The feedback from the neighbors is that this particular yellow is too bright for the house. Any other suggestions of great front door yellows are welcome. The painters won't be here until 10 am, so I might have time to sneak out for another sample or two. :-)

Thank you again!

• 30something
    11 years ago

Mind if I post a rather messy photoshopped version of a couple of your colors?

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

30something, I don't mind at all...would love any alternate ideas too. Thank you so much!

• 30something
    11 years ago

I don't know if this will help or not, but here's a messy PhotoShop try. I left the little swatch of color on the door and tried to match it. I think is actually a little brighter than yours, sorry. This is the top left green.

• 30something
    11 years ago

And here's the yellow.

• 30something
    11 years ago

Hmm, the green one didn't post...trying again.

• 30something
    11 years ago

I think I like the green best.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Wonderful virtuals! :)

Another vote for the yellow!

With a bright green half-basket of white flowers in the center of the door.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Yellow

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Did you already rule out a dark rusty orange?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Rich, golden yellow. (Since you don't want brick red!)

Or would you consider a rich caramel?
    Or even navy blue?

Take a look at the two on the left, of these four.

I think your door color would look best if it's more saturated than most of the ones you are looking at.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I vote the yellow in the picture posted by bronwynsmom. I like the yellow you sampled, too, but it might be too pastel for the house.

• User
    11 years ago

voting for Pickles

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I am SO appreciative of the thoughtful responses! Some of them arrived after the door was already painted, but I still read all of them carefully. Here is the photo of the doors in Glidden's "Vintage Yellow." (The side door will have a screen on it soon.)

The verdict? I like the general concept of yellow, and I think this comes close to the "right" yellow. However, I feel as if it might be just a bit too saturated: a bit too much like "egg yolk" (as my six year old neighbor says.) :-)

I have thought about just getting used to it. Another idea is to inquire ab out how much it would cost to do one additional coat of paint in a slightly tweaked yellow. A final thought is to change gears and to consider a darker shade of blue-green, a silvery gray or a berry (deep pink-ish red.) I am not sure we have the funds to re-paint!

I welcome thoughts about how it turned out. Don't be afraid to give your honest opinion! :-)

Thanks so much,
    Sara

• lilsophie
    11 years ago

I like it. I think the yellow looks great.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Perfect.
    The saturation is just right for an exterior door, and looks warm and welcoming. I wouldn't tweak. Time to brush your hands and move on to the next thing...

Good job, you!

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I like it, I could hang there! I also like the red orange one posted above. Maybe some flowers in that color.

• thrills
    11 years ago

"Maybe some flowers in that color."

I agree. I immediately thought of yellow roses beneath your windows.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I like it! I assume it's the same yellow you had swatched on the door? If so, it reads deeper and more saturated than I thought it would. Job well done! :)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Beautiful. Wonderful. Perfect!

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Though I was in the "green!" camp, I think the yellow looks great.

The difference between your photos from the other day and today convinces me that it's a mistake to rely on photos, and especially photos on-line, when making color decision.! In the earlier photos your siding looked more turquoise/grey to me; now, much more blue. Regardless, the outcome is lovely.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Leave it as is - it's the perfect yellow.

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I like it. I wouldn't mess with it.

OTOH, there is a homeowner in our town who changes her front door color at least once a year. I even think it might be seasonally. Changes the surrounding decor, too, like wreaths on the door, planters, etc. I don't get it. Anyway, if you're unsure about the color and want to explore other options, you could be like her and try them all out by the end of the year. Ha!

• loribee
    11 years ago

I LOVE it. Add a matching wreath and call it a day. :)

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Ooh, I love the yellow roses idea. Nicely chosen!

• suero
    11 years ago

Yes!

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

I love it!

• mary_lu_gw
    11 years ago

Lovely! As mentioned add flowers or pots to bring in the color a few other places.
    No tweaking needed.

• karoloke
    11 years ago

Love it!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Agree with love it!!!! Keep it- I love the colors!

• amykath
    11 years ago

One word PERFECTION!

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I am SO touched by the positive feedback on our yellow front door! I shared the comments with my husband, and he was blown away. Wow, Garden Web is truly awesome. :-) Thank you, thank you!

Sara