Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to color for this pretty cabinet ?

Posted by lilyfinch (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 16:31

I found this gem at the habitat for humanity re-store. I've never seen one like it but I love it !! Any info would be appriciated!
Unfortunately it is so beat up with Knicks and chunks missing . So it has to be refinished. I'm not sure if I want to do reg paint or chalk paint. Here is the wall it will be on and I'm planning on some kind of bowl for keys or perhaps a house plant . I love it and it reminds me of the armoire in beauty and the beast ! :)
Fwiw, lots of white trim and shelves here. I love white but I feel like it deserves something better. What do y'all think ?

photo 78456687-FB6C-4C3E-8A18-1307640BAE09_zpsozvfjioi.jpg

photo 8FC47138-7135-4EAF-895C-9719A6B061F1_zpsrc3g5f6b.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to color for this pretty cabinet ?

Okay, that really is a sweet piece! I paint all my accents black and nice because hides nicks very well but not suspecting would work with your light colors.

Really thing depends on rest of room its in but I dont think white would be a compromise - I think all the detailing would look lovely understated done as white on white detailing.

o

Oh what a darling find. I know you say no white but with your blue wall I think white would look great .

My favorite color for painted furniture is a soft aqua but I don't think that would work with your walls. Maybe a pale, creamy, buttery yellow?

o

Had to come back and take another peek- if I only had the patience to check out those places. Posting to second white but buttery yellow as mentioned does sound like a great accent too!

o

Black would look nice against that blue wall and the white trim and stairs. How about black with silver leaf on the detail?

o

First I must apologize for my posting title ! Oh my did my words get away from me there ! :)

When I first purchased it I thought of Aqua holly Kay ! And I think it could be fun against the blue wall . I love white furniture so by no means would I rule it out . It's just a lot of white around already.
The buttery yellow could work but I don't have anything else yellow around . Maybe antique white ? Black I'm afraid will suck the life out of this lively piece. I know it's weird ( but maybe not ! ) but I feel like it's meant to be light. Also do you think the detail will be lost on it in black ?
My only neutral thought was a putty color . There is a valspar color called "London coach " I really like and thought it may work .
Any thoughts on the chalk paint ? Yay or nay ?

Thanks for looking at my pics !! I really think it's the cutest cabinet.

o

I'm with Trib, I think black with silver leaf would look great. It is a really great cabinet, but I think a light color would make it look too much like a bedroom piece to be used in the entry.

o

Because of the ornate design on that piece, I'm seeing silver leaf somewhere on it. Maybe paint the body in silver leaf and the detail white, or vice versa?

o

Semi- or high-gloss black, silver leaf on the detail, and a mirror cut to fit the top.

o

I'm not liking the black w/sliver.
Maybe not aqua but another shade of blue w/gold rub n buff.

o

Voila! This would be beautiful next to that blue and white. Prefer silver leaf to gold with the cool of the blue walls and white of the trim.

o

What about something like this with the trim done in a cream-ish color?

o

Lily, Your pretty cabinet could be a perfect candidate for chalk paint. It would save you a lot of work. I can picture a creamier white than the trim with darker wax to enhance the details. That combination may allow your cabinet to keep it's personality, yet freshened up. Valspar London Coach appears purple gray. While it is a pretty color, it may be too muddy for your crisp walls. Add your accent color by using something pretty on top, such as a mosaic or Murano glass bowl. Good luck! I just love projects like this.

o

Gray w/silver leaf? Please, no black. It's a very pretty piece and deserves to be given a bit of presence, and IMO, better light than dark.

Here's the idea.......

Here is a link that might be useful: gray/silver

o

oooh, patty_cakes's gray with the silver leaf is gorgeous. That gets my vote. Although, it looks like it's an ivory with gray antiquing glaze.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 21:27

o

Whew ! Lots of great ideas here, only one cabinet !!
For boys too , that pic is exactly what my dining room will look like when I do the walls! I'm going with judges paneling tho. So what a great pic ! And the cabinet will be facing the dining room.
Tribix your ideas are great too ! Our bedroom has a lot of black and charcoal with blue so I get where you are going ! I think we can eliminate black tho , as I just don't have black furniture out here. If it was in bedroom that would be perfect .
And viola , you may be right about the London coach. Ever had a color you just really wanted to use , no matter how wrong ? Lol

I guess no matter what it can always be repainted ! What about the pic that forboystoo posted ? Should I go darker blue with cream / gold details ? What about a super close to navy but not quite navy ?

o

You don't have to leaf at all.
Start by painting with chalk and just damp rag off where you may.
One note of caution : If you plan on chalking the top look into a glass top.
Looks to be a drop zone there !

YES~ It's just paint !!!

o

Tib, in the search I put in gray furniture w/silver leaf. Could be the difference in monitors.

o

patty, you can see the glazing in the photo. I think it's gorgeous, like wedding colors, elegant.

And perfect for a front hall, Imo.

o

If you like the one from patty_cakes the paint used was posted here.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://paintinmyhair.blogspot.com/2012/03/little-bling.html

o

I totally agree with patty_cakes; that combination of paint and trim is gorgeous. However, I'd like to know what else you plan for that wall? The pretty little cabinet is lost there. Looks like an orphan.

o

Spray paint it with Rustoleum Metallic Gold. I've been spray painting lots of furniture lately (a whole dining room set!) and it works great. The finish is wonderful. I am putting Polycrylic on my dining room set because it gets heavy use but on pieces that are just accents I don't and they hold up well.

But yeah, I definitely vote to paint it metallic gold.

o

I love the grey with silver leaf and I would definitely use chalk paint. My DD makes her own using paint and plaster of paris. Chalk painting is very forgiving and so much easier than regular paint.

I agree with Tomato that you need something else on the wall with that darling piece. I would move it down to cover the outlet and add a lovely lamp to it. Maybe you can use a tall plant or other tall décor item to the left of it so it doesn't look so lonely!

Please post back when it's finished because I can't wait to see the finished project!

o

forboystoo, so cool you found that site!

Those colors of patty_cakes's for that cab are SUCH winners. Perfect for that blue wall with the white trim…

o

navy blue with gold/brass

o

Nosoccer just took the words out my mouth...lol. I was just about to go out on a limb myself and suggest navy. After that I like white or cream...no black..too harsh against your pale walls. Can't wait to see what you decide! Post pics when you're done.

o

I like it as is! Many would spend a lot of $$ on trying to get the "knicks and chunks missing" look.

But if you do paint it, I think it lends itself to something like this:

o

I like louislinis' idea also, but it has to be the *right* gold, not a garish, bright gold. Here's a tutorial on Martha Stewart's Gold.

Oooooooooh, like peony's idea also!

Here is a link that might be useful: MS paint

o

I like the second pic (navy) that nosoccermom posted. That would be lovely!!

o

This is a picture of the Rustoleum Universal line Pure Gold. This is a lamp that I painted but I've also used it on wood furniture. I love using spray paint because it is super easy, fast and the finish is really nice. Spray paint is oil based so the finish is much more durable than latex.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here