Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchennovice44

Chandelier: (pics) too busy? Or could PB Bellora work?

kitchennovice44
12 years ago

I've been debating this for 2 months now...really need objective advice from GWers. Could the Bellora chandelier work in my dining space or will it look too busy?

Links to PB Bellora and my dining room are below, since I don't think I'm allowed to post PB's copyrighted photos:

1. Pottery Barn's Bellora chandelier:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/bellora-chandelier/popup/more-views.html

2. My dining room pic:

http://photobucket.com/kitchennovicediningroom

My home is small, w/an open DR/LR layout. I've been trying to visually separate dining area by giving it a more formal, romantic, fine-dining feel...warm and inviting. Rest of home is transitional: black leather furnishings, warm reds, burnished orange, creamy beige area rugs and accents.)

I know a simpler, streamlined fixture is probably better, but this gal's heart longs for some SPARKLE! I just love Bellora's modern glass balls that play to glass/lucite table, w/dark base that matches rest of house. Yet I'm worried that all that curved iron is too busy for room.

If you hate the art, rug, table, etc, it's not that I don't appreciate your opinions, but those are staying. :) Would love help re: what chandy you feel could pull it together, before I order something I love online...only to end up hating in my space!:)

Table 42" wide.

Room size: roughly 11 x 8� with 9-ft vaulted ceiling.

Bellora is small: roughly 20" wide, 22" high

Comments (25)

• makeithome
    12 years ago

For others, here's your dining room:

Personally, I think your room could pull it off. However, you might also be able to find some SPARKLE in a fixture that works better with the overall transitional feel of your home.
    Pics of the adjoining rooms may help us get a better feel for what might work best.

However, remember that this is your home, and if that bellora fixture is going to make you smile every day... do what you love.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

I love your room. I also love that PB chandelier and think it would look pretty. The new light will change the look entirely and maybe that is what you want. However, I think you have a very cool sort-of-deco feel with the light you have now and the table and chairs (clean, geometric), so as far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong either way! Maybe someone could photoshop it into your picture.

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

I love that chandelier from PB.
    I think it would work well in your DR.
    The sparkle I think would be really interesting especially with that mirror there.

• User
    12 years ago

The Bellora chandelier fits what you want: "more formal, romantic, fine-dining feel.." While it is feminine, I agree it's a slightly modern approach to a traditional chandlier (with the round globes.)

However, I don't think it feels modern enough to fit everything else you have going on. Are you changing anything else in that room to make it more formal or is it all staying? (Like, you aren't adding drapes?)

The Bellora chandelier is on the small side. You might want something slightly larger. I am including a pic of it in my office, which is small... maybe 10' x 10'.

{{!gwi}}

Maybe someone with Photoshop can add that chandelier to your room....

• kitchennovice44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

makeithome: thanks for posting pic. I agree w/"do what makes you smile"...that Ballora makes me smile every time I see it online. Alas..I also learned the hard way that quite a few choices I loved were probably better off admired in magazines and in others' homes than purchased for mine! For some reason I'm having such a tough time envisioning this piece and how well,(to lolauren's point,)will it play with my other elements? Nothing worse than that "uh oh" feeling once it's hung. So everyone's opinions - even if they conflict, are still great perspective.

Cyn: thanks for the room compliment...really appreciate it. Funny that you like the current fixture: if everyone voted "no way" on Ballora, I was debating staying with it. We bought it 18 yrs ago. Nothing wrong with it really. Just have this desire for something that shimmers a bit.

Lyban: thanks for your vote - never had a mirror there until this year: exactly why I started looking for a diff fixture.

LoLauren: don't think I'll be adding drapes..if room was larger, would love to. But at 11 x 8, thought it might be more restful,less claustrophobic to keep window space understated/clean.

Thanks again, everyone. Appreciate the input.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Okay, 18 years, huh? Then I say, go for the Ballora! You can always return it if you decide it won't work (just thinking size). It will be lovely!

Disclaimer: I am one who tends to buy on impulse and then regret sometimes. Mostly, though, if it "makes your heart sing" as is often said here, you won't regret it. And on that note, a little encouragement...

Here is a link that might be useful: my theme song-ha

• patiencenotmyvirtue
    12 years ago

I have never seen a chandy that made my heart sing... until now. That Bellora is playing my song. Dang it! I have no advice about the Bellora in your room, I'm too busy trying to figure out how it would look in my room! Good luck!!! Post pics if you decide to get it. Would love to see how it looks!

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

That chandy is gorgeous! Go for it! :)

• htnspz
    12 years ago

It's not working for me. It's too small and is a different style than your dining room. This is a tough one, though because while you consider your room transitional, I find it much more on the contemporary side.

You're sort of on the right track because if you want your living room to be romantic, you want some curvy lines.

I think you should continue looking.

• User
    12 years ago

I'm still hoping someone can photoshop for you.

I know what you mean about the drapes in a small room.... especially with all those windows.

I hope my comment above doesn't discourage you if you really like that chandelier. I saw it in a model home years ago and fell in love on the spot. It didn't fit in my last house, but it was the first item I bought for this one! It really is beautiful.

• rexroat
    12 years ago

Hi-
    If you go that route, you may want to consider this Overstock version...
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Iron-and-Crystal-5-light-Chandelier/3285774/product.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock's version of Bellora

• kitchennovice44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for words of encouragement, Cyn! It's so gorgeous, AnnieCat, isn't it...diff from anything I've seen. No discouragement, LoLoren...I'm hesitant for the same reasons you mentioned: love the fixture...may not love it in the room. Htnspz: great feedback. As makeithome suggested, I added pics of my LR art, couch, rug, entry foyer: do you still feel my style is 100% contemporary vs transitional? Do these pics change or confirm anyone's original opinion either way? (There's sort of a Mad Men/Rat Pack meets contemporary thing going on in my world - especially with a few elements you can't see...an 8 x 10 B&W framed Rat Pack at the Sands photo, lush red painted martini glass and 2 european wine glasses on decorative shelving not shown in pics. (That's what I mean by "transitional.") Do you think my original art deco-style light still fits in better than the Ballora would?

Rex...thanks for O version: that's probably the one I'll end up with if I order.

Thanks again everyone: I can't tell you how appreciative I am of your time and opinions...my husband has no thoughts on it either way and is sick of me debating this!

{{!gwi}}

• User
    12 years ago

I really like the look of the Bellora, but I agree with you it doesnt feel right for your room. I think it is too small and too busy looking against your windows. I think you should look for something more solid looking.

• User
    12 years ago

I can see chandeliers that are more geometric/contemporary in your space.... The piece that is throwing me off, personally, is the table. It seems a bit hard to complement as it is all glass and heavily one style (contemporary? shrug.)

Something like this one could work....

Laura Ashley HSST8869 8 Light State Street Chandelier Light Fixture

It's hard to suggest chandeliers since our taste is all so different and there are so many...

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

How about this one:

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

• kitchennovice44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

loloren: that Laura Ashley is nice. Have to figure out if proportion will work...26" width may be a bit big for 8 x 11 room. But maybe I'll see if Overstock has a copycat version, just in case!:)

Nosoccermom: I looked at that same chandy! It has the crystal sparkle I long for. But with a chrome base, would it clash, since no chrome anywhere else? Everything in DR/LR is gold. If finish were anything else, would probably have grabbed it. Still might consider.

It's that DARN table! ARRGH! I really like it, but it was bought when I had much more modern decor. Finding a romantic, sparkling fixture I love that won't fight it is turning into a tough task. But I can't afford to get another table right now...and spent a lot on this one.

It's really helping to see the room through others' eyes.

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

How about this:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Crystal-Empire-6-light-Chandelier/6000045/product.html?rcmndsrc=2
    or this below? They are more modern but still sexy.

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

• jerseygirl_1
    12 years ago

I love that table. I think you need a chandelier with a cloth shade like the first one nosoccermom. It would soften to room up. The others are too hard looking.

• kitchennovice44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Jerseygirl! I like the black shade chandy nosoccermom suggested too, (although nowhere near as much as that darn Ballora!) If I could make shiny chrome work w/all the soft gold in the room, I'd order it in a flash. But there are no silver/cool tones anywhere to complement and the shade is very transparent...will definitely show a lot of chrome.

(By the way: interesting fixture: actually not cloth shade at all. Those are skinny black strings. (People sure seem to adore this model! 300 reviews, mostly glowing.)

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

There are some chandeliers on Overstock that combine bronze and chrome and crystals. I wish I knew how to photoshop.

• kitchennovice44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

PB designer suggested The Halton Chandelier after seeing my room photo: she felt it might fit better. A bit bigger than Ballora and considered more modern. (Doesn't seem that much more modern to me, but what do I know?) 22.5" wide, 25" high.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/halton-italian-chandelier/?pkey=cchandeliers

Still like the black drum-style shade w/crystals nosoccermom suggested from O, but chrome just won't work in my world. :(

• Lyban zone 4
    12 years ago

Hard to see in your photos but what is the metal in the base of your table.
    I am trying to figure out why you say the chrome won't work.
    The existing chandy will be gone and the mirror seems to be the only gold that I can see. Maybe you could put some silver on that.

• kitchennovice44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lyban: table base is all clear lucite...no metal at all. It's hard to tell from pic, but mirror has tremendous gold detail...tiny circles throughout border - all in gold, double gold frame. Area rug and art are all warm colors - with a lot of gold in both. Verticals are warm, lighter honey wood. Just not seeing anything that would complement cool silver of chrome....but I'm no design expert either. Hence my post! :)

• nosoccermom
    12 years ago

Hi,
    how about this chandelier? It has the gold that you were looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: crystal chandelier

• kitchennovice44
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nosoccermom: so nice of you to check back w/more ideas! These are pretty, but your orig suggestion from Overstock is still the one I keep going back to as my fave and will probably buy: that 6-light black shade/chrome chandy that over 300 buyers rave about. Will have to make the chrome work somehow - maybe I'll add an accessory or two in chrome somewhere nearby? I adore the Ballora, but this has the crystals I wanted with a cool transparent black drum shade that probably will work better w/overall look, windows, etc, as you and others suggested. Good eye...THANK YOU again!

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Chrome-and-Black-6-light-Crystal-Chandelier/4127714/product.html