Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
buffet lampshade help, pls

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 16:26

I have made him mine! That handsome boy over there, the one with the watermelon hair is winging his way to my home (for those of you who think I've lost it see this thread).

photo buffetlamp_zps242eced7.jpg

I have a pair of these lamps (they are not crooked - the photographer can't seem to hold the phone straight) that I'd like to use. I like them but I can't seem to ever get the shade right. The candlestick base is like old worn silver set on a black base. The "candle" is off-white. The black base is 6" in diameter. They are 31" tall to the top of the harp.

Please suggest shades for these lamps: color, material, and size. I'm stumped. "Buffet" shades seem too small. A regular lampshade is too large. Is there a formula for choosing the correct size lamp shade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: buffet lampshade help, pls

I have a pair that's similar and they came with opaque black paper shades. I think similar shades would work on yours.

Later when I wanted a change I added the trim and finials.

photo 018-Copy.jpg

This post was edited by chijim on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 17:44

o

Get the black shades (if you can in paper) and paint the insides watermelon pink. They will glow. You know he is not going to want you to sleep and you might be unable to sleep whilst thinking of this new, sudden love, but don't allow him to keep you awake into the wee hours of the morning. Just enjoy him, keep him awake with the lamps with the black shades and watermelon interiors.
C'est une telle affair.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 17:46

o

HA! Patricia!

Chijim, what is the diameter of your lamp shade at the lower edge? the upper edge? And what is the slope?

o

bbstx, are these buffet lamps? If so, the last time I was in Tuesday Morning (if you have one), they had some very cute ones, some in champagne and some in black. The black ones were lined in soft gold color. You could get fabric paint and make them hot pink, doncha think.

o

Find some skinny buffet lamp shades like these and I would find a contrast color to add some fun and pop to your new table.

o

you might want to try taking off the harp and finding a buffet shade 'harp' that sits on the bulb--- will make the shade alittle more in proportion to the lamp... they even sell some buffet shades with a piece that sits right on the bulb-- like a chandelier shade would--- you would have to change out your bulb to a wide base candle bulb-- that could help the proportion too!

o

Take the lamp to a lampshade store and try them on. It's the only way to get a shade that is truly in proportion. They also have different harps and extension pieces so you can raise or lower the shade til it's right.

o

Good ideas, all. From the photos posted by chijim and by sasafras, it appears that the lower diameter of the shade is greater than the diameter of the lamp base. Is that accurate?

Would a drum shade be at odds with the formality of these lamps?

AD, I may have to make the trek to a shade store. That is probably the best place to find something that will work. My choices for shade stores are an hour and a half one direction or two and a half hours the other direction. I live in a tiny town some distance from larger cities. I love living here, but it does have its inconveniences.

o

what sasafras posted looks great

o

Chijim, what is the diameter of your lamp shade at the lower edge? the upper edge? And what is the slope?

Top is 6" and it flares out to 8" on bottom

Total length of shade top to bottom is 6.5"s

Just wanted to note, my shades sit on the harp...they're not clip-on

o

Thanks, chijim.

While the lamps posted by sasafras are fun looking, I already have a pair of lamps that I'm looking for shades for. I'm not ready to give up yet and buy a new pair of lamps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here