Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnycottage_gw

Need help choosing window treatment fabric

SunnyCottage
9 years ago

As I've recently posted, I'm in the process of changing the look and feel of my kitchen and adjoining breakfast room. The kitchen is finished, and is shown in the photo below, at the very end of this post. I'll post a pic of the breakfast room as well in the post right below this one - although it's not a recent pic, and it should be noted that all red trim (including door and windows) is being painted Indian White, as in the breakfast room. The chandelier shades are no longer plaid as shown in the pic, but have been replaced by cream-colored silk shades.

I want to maintain a vintage/cottage look - but I find I'm drawn to fabrics that I might not have previously considered. Just to be clear - I'm now only looking at what to do with the two windows in the breakfast room (not the door - I'm just going to leave it with a simple lace tier). The Waverly Norfolk Rose valances shown in the photo below have been removed, and I've currently got some green and white gingham valances that I'm using -- I can afford for them to be temporary, as they cost next-to-nothing. I've found an Etsy seller who makes faux Roman blinds - they're basically valances with a Roman blind look - and that's what I want. I love, love, love the look of Romans, but have no need to be able to lower/raise an actual blind for privacy, so the faux version will work perfectly for me. WIll you please help me figure out which (if any of these) fabrics might work for the Romans?

First of all, here's a sample of the faux shades. I also like this simple look - off-white fabric with grosgrain trim:

And here are some of the fabric selections that caught my eye:

#1:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#5:

#6:

#7:

#8:

#9:

#10:

(Sorry - I know that's a lot to wade through! And maybe none of these fabrics are right. I don't have a lot of confidence when it comes to choosing.)

This post was edited by SunnyCottage on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 16:45

Comments (24)

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

One of the breakfast room windows.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another view. I just realized I don't have the photos on my phone that I intended to post, but I hope these will at least give an idea of the windows I'm looking to use the Romans on.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Something along the lines of #5 may seem totally strange - but I must say it reminds me a lot of the wallpaper that I removed from the kitchen that was original to the house (1940). Maybe that's why I'm so drawn to it!
    :-)

• peony4
    9 years ago

Sunny, I did not comment on your other post, but I think you did a stand-up job on the painting and redesign of your kitchen! It looks great.

In terms of these fabrics, if you want to maintain a vintage feel, then some of these do *not* read vintage. #2, 3, 5 and 7, in particular, are too modern.

#1, 4 and 6 are too pedestrian, if you will, for your beautiful space.

The last three would be contenders for me, but I'd keep looking. Relax and have fun with this process, though... the hard work is behind you.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much! I appreciate your advice -- this is exactly the kind of help I need! I really like #5 a lot, but don't want to use something that's completely off-kilter with the vibe I'm going for. I do like the last 3 fabric choices though - especially the ticking stripe. I guess I just feel overwhelmed when I start looking at fabric. There must be thousands to choose from!

• peony4
    9 years ago

Sunny, if you're drawn to #5, then perhaps look for more authentic patterns. For example, a google image search using the terms "vintage fabric patterns" yielded many of the geo-floral types of patterns that were used in the 1940s and 1950s.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm not feeling any of those....of them, #10 is best. But maybe it's because I view a roman as a more clean-lined modern look whereas your room still feels very cottage/vintage to me...

I'm almost thinking that to keep it vintage, you may want to go with 2 fabrics on the roman shades instead of just one...mixing patterns.

Or maybe go with a relaxed roman to give it a less stiff and formal feel.
    {{gwi:1759597}}

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks - I'm looking online at vintage fabrics, and there is certainly a lot out there! I think I've got a split personality, in that I want a vintage vibe, but don't mind a slightly modern twist at this point! If that even makes any sense! I've got elements in the space that aren't exactly vintage -- the black wrought iron chandelier in the breakfast room, for instance.

Interesting thought to go with two fabrics. I love the style of the first shade that Annie posted! Because this won't actually be a working shade though - and actually more of a valance - well, I suppose I could still have it made in a more relaxed style. I don't want it to cover as much of the window as in Annie's second photo though (also a lovely shade!).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Or maybe something more like this or with a tie.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are pretty, Annie. The fabric design is not terribly different from the Waverly Norfolk Rose valances I just took down ... I think I've just grown a little tired of them, and am wanting a new look. Although there's something about the photo you shared that's a lot sweeter than my old Waverly valances were. These blinds have a much lighter and airy feel than what I had.

I see things that I like - but then when I envision them in the space, I fear that it's going to look too sweet - almost like something that belongs in a child's room or nursery. That's how the green gingham valances are currently hitting me (but for less than $15 for the pair, big deal).

You know what I really, really like? The simplicity of a vintage mangle cloth ...

• User
    9 years ago

Something like this perhaps?

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really like that! I would prefer the ground of the fabric to be more white(ish) than brown, but yes - that's the direction I was initially thinking of going in, before I started considering the Roman blind look.

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hadn't really considered black and white, but ... would something like this still convey vintage without being too "twee" about it?

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree with Annie to look into a relaxed Roman shade.

Or this? Too fussy?

• voila
    9 years ago

Here is a link to someone selling vintage mangle cloth. I like the idea, but you can't find large enough pieces. They say new, unused. Remember Mtredux was looking for the same idea for her sink skirt and ended up having it made out of Sunbrella with banding added. Put a call out to Mtredux.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage mangle cloth

• voila
    9 years ago

This is a cute vintage-looking fabric. It looks like a forties print to me. I don't know if the colors work, though it does come in other colors. You could also look for vintage tablecloths.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

Several of those fabrics have neat patterns. Unfortunately, not much of the pattern will show with the initial style of valance you were showing. 2,3,4,5 all may be too big of a design to be appreciated with a small area of fabric.

The kitchen looks great, what a big change. Take your time finishing it off.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

Several of those fabrics have neat patterns. Unfortunately, not much of the pattern will show with the initial style of valance you were showing. 2,3,4,5 all may be too big of a design to be appreciated with a small area of fabric.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for all of the thoughts and inspiration photos! You've really got my wheels turning this morning! I took a photo of the breakfast room this morning to better show the location of the windows I want to accent. They are currently wearing the green gingham valances. Please pardon the mess - have just started painting in this room and it's going to be in a bit of disarray until I'm done!

Voila - Where did you find the 40s-looking floral fabric? That is really cute!

• SunnyCottage
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I might try hanging the gingham valances that I currently have inside the window frames on tension rods (to give them a slightly fuller appearance), and tying them up with grosgrain ribbon, as in this pic ...

• voila
    9 years ago

That cute fabric is from Clarke & Clarke. The problem with the new vintage look fabric is that it is such a large print. Seems like everything is "Go big or go home" these days, like the new wallpaper designs. Looking at the new pictures of your windows, I don't really think valances is the way to go. It seems to make them top heavy. I love the look of the curtain on the lower half of the window. After you paint your door and trim see what you think of your new breakfast room. Less is sometimes more, YKWIM?

Here is a link that might be useful: Clarke & Clarke

• voila
    9 years ago

It is fun to look through Clarke & Clarke, though. No affiliation. It is a British company but connected to Duralee, so not that hard to find. This print is smaller in scale and still looks vintage to me. Do your lower café curtains need to be replaced? You could also use banded linen for café curtains. Can't wait to see what you do. Love your house!