Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vavavoom_gw

Quality of Bassett Furniture?

vavavoom
14 years ago

Does anyone know anything about Bassett Furniture Quality? Was in there today and say some seemingly nice pieces for a decent prices.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (112)

• jhouse
    3 years ago

Thank you! Bassett was almost $1000 more than a similar one at PB, so I was curious if the quality was better! This is helpful!

• cmseano
    3 years ago

We have had a Bassett became sectional for 6 years! We have the performance fabric in a silver grey. Its in our family room with heavy traffic. I am very good about rotating the back pillows and they have held up really well. There were one or two stains. I used something called FOLEX from amazon and it takes a spot out immediately. (we saw the Bassett guy use it when called in on our extra coverage. We love this sectional. When kids friends sleep over they say its So COMFY.

Finally, I just had it professionally cleaned and it looks beautiful. Like new. We are currently purchasing another Bassett sectional for a different location. Hope this helps

• Tamara H
    3 years ago

(Added to above comment) We have the performance basket weave fabric. Beware.

• cmseano
    3 years ago

Tamara, did you have a problem with the performance fabric? Can I ask what happened?

• jhouse
    3 years ago

Thanks, Tamara. That is the exact fabric the salesperson recommended for durability! I think I’ll keep looking—so disappointing because they have a line where you can customize arms, legs, etc and it *seemed* like the perfect find!

• Runnermom
    3 years ago

We are considering ordering from Bassett and I came across this thread. In particular, we are considering the Beckham sectional and the Provisions Dining table and chairs in the Homestead finish. Based on this thread, I’m inclined to avoid the basketweave fabric and upgrade to a performance chenille. (FWIW, I have read similar pilling complaints about weave-based fabrics at Crate & Barrel.). We absolutely loved Bassett’s memory foam cushions and thought they were the most comfy cushions of all the sofas we have looked at. The cushion that can be placed on the wooden dining chairs was also quite comfy and we plan to use the sunbrella fabric for those, which we are told is nearly indestructible and has no absorption of stains. Curious if anyone has had experiences with any of these particular choices?

• itsbellmade
    3 years ago

Well we just paid $4k for the Ellery sofa in Veneto Walnut. At this point I don’t know who to trust bc I’ve found bad reviews for darn near every brand I’ve considered. I’m hopeful. Now a little worried, but still hopeful.

• 2tilly
    3 years ago

Our two Bassett sofa’s were out of the house in under three years. The upholstery had multiple tears in seams with gentle use and the pills were terrible causing the fabric to feel rough. Pills were not covered under their extended warranty...we were very dissatisfied and moved on.

• rogly
    3 years ago

I’ve had nothing but great experiences with numerous Bassett items, sofas chairs etc. I’d be wary of looking for reviews as my experience is people love to complain but fail to praise.

• Tamara H
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I love to rave when purchases are great. Our Bassett purchase is one of the worst we’ve ever made. Like a few posts up, our couch is three years old and has multiple tears along the seams and the fabric is completely pilled - it’s unbelievable really. The warranty covered none of it. The seat cushions are solid but the back pillows become completely mishapen with a year (those were replaced under warranty but it happened again less than a year later). It'ss very hard to find reviews when companies don’t post any. I think this thread is eye opening. Its all just information for people to take into consideration.

• lindad1121
    3 years ago

Maybe the quality was better years back because we have had our leather Bassett sofa and chair for over 15 years and it is still in great shape. I was shopping for a leather sectional and almost settled on one at Bassett but decided on a Bernhardt sectional instead, mostly because I liked the style better.

• Neciebugs
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Reading the negative reviews is disappointing, however, I do realize more dissatisfied customers will complain over satisfied customers raving. I for one, am currently sitting on a 12 year old sectional that survived 3 dogs, 2 cats, 3 kids through teen years, a infant grandson, puppy, kitten... 4 professional washings.. The frame is SOLID! The upholstery is starting to fray on a few seams at the cushions, but it is the damned most comfortable sofa I have ever owned. Yes, it looks tired... because it is. It's been through a move... and like I said above... a growing family. Now that my children are adults, and the puppies are well mannered dogs, and the cat doesn't scratch... etc... I priced out reupholstering the sectional... which was near as expensive as buying a new one. So, I just decided, I am almost 50. I am buying the last living room set I will ever buy (knock on wood). I had the best buying experience. I can't wait for the new sectional to be delivered. The one I am sitting on will be passed down to my daughter and grandson, so tired, yes, it has years of life left! My bedroom set is HGTV by Basset and I love it, but I do have issues with the drawer units on 2 drawers and have tried to figure out how to repair, but cant. We have come up with a work around so, no biggie... one day... However, it is a solid gorgeous set, that we got on clearance, for a steal. I have a sofa in the loft by Bassett and it it stunning. I also have 2 pedestal side tables by Bassett hand turned, and they are solid and just tie everything together... I have no complaints. You get what you pay for. While researching replacements for my current sectional, I went to several stores, and the build quality just is not there. Personally, I would rather pay a bit more for American made. I am a teacher and my other half is unemployed because of the pandemic... so it's not like I have a ton of money lying around. I was very grateful for the service when I went in last week to design my set, and the ease of adding my Veteran discount... plus stellar financing. My next purchase will be counter chairs for my kitchen island... Bassett is a great line, traditional/transitional not too trendy, comfortable, and completely customizable. Made in the USA too! So, no complaints here (other than the 2 drawers).

• Scott Hoffer
    3 years ago

We purchased 2 Bassett sofas roughly 2 years ago. Let me tell you, I feel absolutely cheated on these things.

- 2 seat cushions had stitching come out (which they sent new covers for).

-Both couches have sewn on back cushions and they continuously slump and 1 had stitching come undone. Customer support told me purchase stuffing and "fill the back cushions up." They also told me to keep my kids and animals off the back of the couch. When I told them we have neither, I was told, "Well SOMETHING is getting up on the back cushions to make them slump/tear"

-These couches creak like crazy. Was hoping that after they broke in they would quiet down but it is still just as bad.

I have never written a review for anything in my life except for this one. That's how much I hate these couches.

• Tamara H
    3 years ago

The upholstery guy that came to look at ours last month said he sees so much poor quality Bassett furniture as of late. Said it used to be good but has declined in the past five years - as has customer service.

• Joan
    3 years ago

The Beckham from Bassett has been a disaster! I finally got to the point where I could afford to buy from Bassett and purchased this sectional, expecting exceptional quality. I am now reluctant to puchase anything from them going forward. I called and complain about how horrible the fabric is fuzzing up and wearing out. They offered to send me a hand held lint remover, which literally was an insult. This piece of furniture is in a room that guest relax in and I am embarrased by how it looks. I will have to replace soon and will continue to tell my associates and friends to not be fooled by the beautiful color coordinated displays. Check out all reviews before purchasing anything.

• Karen
    3 years ago

Our new Bassett sofa is a disaster! Within a few months of delivery, one seat cushion sank (it was actually lower than the other 2 cushions when it was delivered.) Anyone sitting there is tipped toward the armrest at a 20° angle! The fabric is already pilling severely. No kids or pets, just 2 adults at our residence. I am 6 weeks into the run around by customer service. I have rejected proposed solutions to replace the cushion (no guarantee on dye lot match) and replace the metal frame by disassembling the sofa in our home. We have already had one of their “tech” guys come to our home and loudly accuse us of being “angry and having buyer’s remorse.” I reported him for trying to bully me. No matter how long they stall, I won’t go away. We thought we were buying the best furniture available, but it is actually lower quality than the chain furniture stores. I can’t afford to throw money down the drain. I intend to get a full refund. I suspect this sofa was made in another country, not in the USA as they promote.

• Lori Byington
    2 years ago

I purchased a leather sectional from Bassett furniture in 2019, by 2021 it was ripping at the seams! I contacted Bassett but was informed that there was "nothing we can do" due to the fact that there is only a 1 year warranty on fabric and leather! I explained that the sectional was less than 2 years old and this was should not be expected to happen due to normal wear and tear of their product. They asked me to send pictures of the damage but then never got back to me. When I finally called the customer service line I was given the same robotic response regarding the one year warranty....why did they even make me go through the trouble of emailing the photos??? They never had any intention of rectifying the problem. This company has terrible customer service and their products are very poor quality. They definitely do not back up their claims of exceptional quality and craftmanship that they proclaim on their website. Furniture is very expensive, craftmanship and quality are poor and not worth the price. I now have to replace a $8000.00 sectional with less than 2.5 years use! This is just unacceptable!

• PRO
    Frogtown Creek
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Our two Allure bench seat BASSETT sofas arrived at a vacation home about 2 months ago. The chemical smell coming from them is overpowering! i researched the problem and they call this “off gassing.” Can’t quite determine if it is unhealthy but feel it can’t be good. I have contacted the local furniture store where I purchased them. They sent out a representative. I am putting everything in writing for a paper trail. So far very unhappy!

PS I purchased the 3 year warranty - thank goodnes!

• Runnermom
    2 years ago

@Frogtown Creek sorry to hear this happened! We just received the first of our two Bassett sofa deliveries and everything is perfect. I also got the warranty just in case....

• PRO
    Frogtown Creek
    2 years ago

@Runnermom did you get the performance fabric? Wondering if that might be the difference. I’m really frustrate! TY

• Robert Krugman
    2 years ago

We have a three year old leather sofa and loveseat, Within several months the color started to peel off and I guess "the original" color started to show through. We had a warranty and they initially replaced all of the seat covers. Fast forward another 9 months and it started happening again. Neither Bassett or the warranty company would do anything about it. So now we are in a position where we have to replace a three year old sofa that cost over $8k. I would never recommend this company to anyone looking to purchase furniture. Very nice up front but do not stand behind their products. A quick update: after a number of inquiries Bassett agreed to refund us half of the costs of the couch. While I am still upset with the quality of the leather, I am pleased that after a series of back and forth's they are doing something to make things right.

• Robin H
    2 years ago

I had a VERY positive experience buying a couch from Bassett. My salesperson was helpful and the couch was delivered on time with nice quality upholstery & pillows that have stood up to 5+ year of wear. I'm writing this review 5 years after purchasing the couch because it developed a loud squeak toward the top of the backrest. I contacted Bassett customer service and they arranged to send out an independent repair person at their expense. The first guy couldn't do the repair so they sent out a second repair person who successfully fixed the squeaking noise after taking the couch apart. Both repair people commented on the high quality wooden frame and general composition of the couch and that you don't typically get when buying an inexpensive couch from a store like Bob's discount furniture or Raymour & Flanigan. I will definitely return to Bassett next time I'm in need of new upholstered furniture.

• HU-2252726
    2 years ago

It would help if those who had pilling would also indicate what material was used on their furniture. Was it woven, textured or what???

Thanks

• Runnermom
    2 years ago

@Frogtown Creek I did select a performamce chenille fabric in a cream color. I am uploading a photo of the exact color.

We could not be happier with our sofa and dining room set from Bassett. We likewise used a performance fabric on the dining room chairs; there, I opted for the highest performing fabric called sunbrella.

My daughter dropped a raspberry on it and I could not get over how it wiped clean!

There were tiny imperfections at delivery and Bassett promptly sent someone out to fix. I have been so impressed with the quality, comfort, and customer service. I highly recommend upgrading to a performance fabric and getting a warranty so you don’t have to worry. If you don’t use the warranty, you get the money back in the form of a gift card so you really don’t have much to lose.

I am also including pictures of my sofa and dining room set. I previously posted a photo of the sectional we bought in the same fabric. Hope this helps!

• Tom Elgin
    2 years ago

We looked at their Magnificent Motion 3-seat sofa the other day. It had the power seat and headrest. Nice design, but nothing real special. Just a nice clean look. We had been looking for a while and really liked this one and were ready to buy. But, reality came crashing down. I thought it would be around $2500. My wife thought it would be around $3000. We were floored when we were quoted a price of $4200!!! We had selected what was very close to a microfiber for the material. Still shaking my head about this. I could never justify paying that much for a sofa. They're WAY overpriced. Plus, other stores were quoting $100 for delivery on their sofas. Not Basset. $200! No thanks all around.

• Runnermom
    2 years ago

You should wait for the 30% off sales that they run. It won’t eliminate the delivery fee but will make a significant dent in the price.

• tamy mcwilliams
    2 years ago

Seems to me that anyone here posting a positive review has either just received their item or is being paid by Bassett. Everyone else reading this blog has to be overwhelmed by the negative reviews. I'm now 5 years in and the stuffing on the back cushions is failing and the fabric is still pilling. I can't count the number of times I have shaved the piles off and continue to wish I'd made a different choice. $5,000 for a piece of junk is not what I expected. and has made spending another $5,000 for a replacement daunting........

BTW: We did upgrade to a performance fabric ( read the fine print in your warranty - it does not cover pilling or normal wear and tear- whatever that means - read my initial post)

• Tom Elgin
    2 years ago

Runnermon, thanks for that info, but that will still leave it at $3000. Still too much to pay (especially when given the reviews I've read). This furniture is supposed to be made in Newton, NC. It's nonsense they charge so much when people have such serious issues with quality. Think we're going to see what it would cost to reupholster our existing couch (which we've had for 14 years! It has some slight issues now, but at least it lasted!).

• Christie Ke
    2 years ago

I would highly discourage anyone from purchasing from Bassett. This is my second time purchasing from them. The first time I purchased the Beckham sofa was in 2017. After over a year of service, it still looks awful (pilling, staining, deflated cushions). I have no idea why I decided to give Bassett a second chance when ordering my dining table, chairs, and stools. I have had them for 24 hours, and the upholstery on the chairs is flimsy. I can feel the wood from the chair because there is no cushion, in place of foam there is what seems to be some type of cellophane or crunching material. At this point, I can only assume that Bassett knowingly, either negligently or with malice, sells faulty, unsafe, and defective products to consumers in order to benefit their bottom line. I am currently seeking a full refund for my defective chairs which feel like I purchased at Walmart. However, Basset is neglecting to stand behind the quality of their products by offering a refund which furthers my point that Bassett as a company may be crooked and perhaps takes advantage of consumers.

• jcallahan
    2 years ago

I just tossed a 10x14 rug purchased from Bassett only 2 years ago. It was not cheap and I hesitated at first but was talked into it. Worst quality I have ever seen and I hav redecorated a lot! When I called them on it after only 6 months they were uninterested in assisting. Only to say that someone could come look at it for a fee of $200.

I will never buy a thing from them again.

• L thomas
    2 years ago

Bassett is entry-level furniture with entry-level quality. I know folks are going to say $3,000 is a lot of money for a sofa!!!! And - thats true. Just like is it true that $25,000 is a lot of money for a Chevrolet. But it's still a Chevrolet and not an $80,000 Mercedes. Same is true of furniture. $3,000 is an entry-level sofa - to get Century or Hickory Chair quality - you'll spend 3x that.

That all being said - I have a coffee table from Bassett that I like very much. The veneers are done surprisingly well. I've had it for about three years, and holding up fine. But - it's a coffee table. It doesn't get sat on. I would be skeptical of upholstered pieces from them.

• lori green
    2 years ago

We bought a beautiful dining table and chairs from Bassett in Nov 2019. It’s just the two of us so it is hardly used. It is the cheapest piece of crap I have ever owned. It has the thinnest veneer on it and already has small gouges in the top that are white underneath the grey finish. The finish just rubs off the backs of the chairs from moving them, revealing white underneath. The top has a ton of really fine hairlike scratches all over it. We have some vinyl weaved placemats that I could never see scratching a normal table, but I think might be the culprit on this horrid finish. We wasted 5K on this POS and I am really angry. Just total trash.

• HU-857145467
    2 years ago

I thought we bought real wood until we had a piece of the stain/paint peel off. Basset used MARINE BOARD. Keep it in mind before buying from them.

• PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    2 years ago

There is various brands available in furniture market which are good but when we talk about Bassett Furniture that has brilliant quality and beautiful design with modern style and just provide affordable prices that are perfect for your budget.

• lori green
    2 years ago

@ Bergen Furniture.....nope......they quality of my table is trash. I had a Richardson Brothers solid oak table for 28 years I just gave to mu daughter and doesn't have one ding on it. Bassett has gone cheap like a lot of them have. I know quality furniture and have had it for years. That's why I went with Bassett. I was completely shocked at how bad the quality was. I was expecting the Bassett quality....just isn't there anymore.

• candy hunnicutt
    2 years ago

I purchased a whole house ful of furniture from various venders 17 years ago. The furniture pieces that have held up are the pices i bought from Bassett. i had never bought quality furnitute before and was skeptical of the higher prices, but you get what you pay for. The two large rugs and the two living room chairs that are used constantly still look new. im sure Bassett has had to start selling a cheaper, lower quality line of furniture to stay competative. i would be careful in purchasing those lines. if you buy the higher end, quality lines, the furniture will last and be worth the investment n the long run.

• Susan Alexander
    2 years ago

So many comments saying spend your money elsewhere. Ok. Where? I've searched and searched and it seems there are negative reviews for all furniture brands. I can't seem to find any consistent positive reviews for American made furniture.

• HU-529633720
    2 years ago

Okay. like someone else said, I rarely waste my time on writing reviews. Most of the time I am A. Either able to overlook minor nuances that come with furniture purchases, or B. Not severely disappointed because I didn’t pay out much in the first place, and lastly I just don’t experience letdowns that prompt me to write a review…But…. This purchase has been different. The Beckham sofa was comfortable for two weeks, after that the deterioration began rapidly. The cushions sank, I mean everything you read about this sofa is true. To their credit someone came and replaced the cushions, but honestly, it’s the frame that obviously is defective; it still sinks in. I mean 2 weeks????? I paid $2800 since it was a good sale so although I am bitter I am not out of as much as some people. But still, I just as well could have bought from another mainstream furniture company, and not have been so brand-fixated. And my furniture would have at least had a longer life. My sisters leather match $1700 sectional has held up better than this couch and it’s older. Embarrassing! Guests avoid sitting on the couch because it’s so uncomfortable.

• HU-529633720
    last year

Update: Bassett Customer Service was initially unhelpful, and I was told the one year warranty is up and I am on my own. However, they proactively followed up with me after I called to check the dimensions of the cushions (thought I could buy time by purchasing upgraded replacement cushions elsewhere). They were surprised with the resolution I was given and were genuinely interested in making me happy with the purchase. They have been helpful in rectifying the issue. Although the sofa hasn't held up the way my previous Bassett purchases, I have accepted there were a lot of challenges over the last few years within the furniture industry and I am just going to get what I can out of the product and move on. I appreciate the customer service I have received.

• jaspartacus
    last year
    last modified: last year

I will add my voice to the chorus for stay away from Bassett furniture. It is total junk. I bought a Rowan Oak round dining table (the ones you can custsomize). It is part of their BenchMade line which is supposed to be higher quality. When it came, the base had a huge crack down the middle like it was about to split in 2. Fortunately the delivery person made me aware of it of I might not have noticed until it actually broke. They replaced it but it had me not using the table for months so I didn't notice that the underneath of the table top was very jagged and rough at the edges in several places. The table is rarely used since it is just my husband and myself and we usualy sit at the counter to eat- but now the top is literally starting to bubble up in a few places and break off in jagged pieces. You can tell that it is not a solid top as advertised at all but a very thin veneer. This table was several thousand dollars and I am shocked at how poor the quality is.

• Audrey Doremus
    last year

I have had a bad experience with Bassett. 2 recliners with pilling fabric. Missing shelves from our Boatman cabinet. Cancelled tables I couldn't use (read the return policy) no returns! Restock and you get 80% of the price you paid! They had never been delivered. We still haven't received our refund. That was 6 weeks ago. NEVER AGAIN!

• Imma S
    last year

@lori green can you tell me which type of wood is your dining table? we just purchaed an oak table from Bassett, still waiting for it to be delivered. Now Im very concerned after reading all the reviews!

• woodell
    last year

All of these comments have a common thread on lack of quality. Most of my wood pieces are 30-40 years old. Some have been recovered 2-3 times to stay with current trends. Other pieces purchased from high end neighbor estate and relocation sales, Solid wood pieces are only affordable to many people today in the second hand market. Suggest checking out on line auctions near where you live. I recently bought a 20+ year old Bassett dining set, recovered the chairs myself and it’s absolutely beautiful. Well built and great quality with sliding rails and locks for table extensions. Think about recycle and repurpose pieces and stay away from all the “luxury vinyl” that may separate, crack and chip. Estate sales are not like your great grandparents musty old stuff. Many retirees in upscale communities have wonderful furniture pieces and accessories they sell when downsizing. Fabric reupholstery gives a modern look to old pieces. Embrace the hun!

• woodell
    last year

Embrace the “hunt”!

• tamy mcwilliams
    last year

I do not know the type of wood on our table. Since my post the finnish on the edges on the chairs are wearing off.

• Lorie Cardoni
    9 months ago

I purchased a leather sectional in January 2021 and paid $10,397 after the 30% off promotion. The construction is really solid and the leather is quality, but the stitching on the corners of the cushions is really poor. Two of three pieces in the first few months were picked up and sent back to Bassett to have the stitching redone in the corners. Thank God we got the furniture protection from Guardsman because we have had to come out and restitch five more cushions that just come unstitched at the seams. I just would not expect these quality issues from a piece of furniture that is that pricey after 30% off. I don't think we will be purchasing from Bassett again.

• HU-452015266
    8 months ago

We purchased a sectional from Bassett in March of 2022. It was a custom order, and it came in July- we expected the delay, so not a big deal. The wood frame cracked within 2 weeks of delivery. Eventually they replaced it. We received the new couch in late November of 2022. Last night, the wood cracked again. It's July 2023, not even 8 months from delivery. No, we aren't huge people. I've never had issues with a frame on any type of furniture. Our last sectional had 15 teenagers on it every Friday and Saturday night with no issues. Last night? Just 2 people, winding down the day, hardly moving. I do love the Revolution fabric.

• Jacob R
    7 months ago

To start, I am in Interior Design with 15+ of dealing with furniture as low quality as Ashley to some of the higher end pieces in the world. I have owned several Bassett Pieces thoughout the years and they have held up fantastic! Unlike some of the comments on here I'd like to state that rougher you and your family is on furniture the shorter the life span. It seems like common sense, but I've seen it all. Bassett has 3 quality levels: Entry (2-5 years), Medium (4-8 years) and highest (8-15+). so if you're looking to cheap out, don't expect a lifelong sofa. I also cannot stress this enough, ALL FABRICS PILL, with the exception of the ugly microfiber(P.S. probably one of the worst materials to put on your sofa, btw). However, Bassett is very clear about the materials that go into making their fabrics. So either do research on material (cotton, linen, polyester, olefin, etc) or ask your sales person, I am sure they'd be happy to show you the contents of the fabric.

Lastly, remember that most people on these theads usually are unhappy about something. so you're only seeing the negatives, because most happy customers do not leave reviews.

I am leaving this honest review because I too have had a framing issue with one of my sofas, however I understand that some accidents may happen during transporting, and the furniture is HAND MADE people, no one is perfect 100% of the time. Are you?

Please make a smart purchase, and take a deep look into your family and how they treat furniture before deciding what quality you want .

• Jacob R
    2 months ago

https://www.stylemeetscomfort.ca/learning-center/fabric-pilling-causes?hs_amp=true

Please Read! Fabric pilling is 100% normal and happens with all fabrics! it does not meant its bad quality.

• HU-66433358
    2 months ago

We purchased a Bassett sofa a few years ago. I will NEVER make that mistake again. After only a few months,the fabric seams frayed. The company rep came to my home and told me there was nothing they would do… We were offered a 20% discount to purchase new cushion covers. We purchased new cushion covers that were ordered by the company rep…and when they arrived were too large. when we contacted the company they offered to sell us new cushions! we offered we would not throw anymore good money after bad. I get angry every time I think about the customer service. Buyer BEWARE

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA