Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with fabric selection

Posted by wigardenerwannabe (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 12 at 16:09

I am having this wicker rocker from Craigslist repaired and new cushions made for it. I'm keeping it in my family room since it is so comfortable. Here is a photo of the room. room view
And this is of the rocker:
wicker rocker
And these are some contenders:
#1 (on back)and #2 (on seat): 2
#3 (on back) and #4 (on seat): 1
and #5 3

I have blue's in the room in artwork and afghan. The gold in #3 matches the gold in the pillows. Any thoughts on these, or are they all wrong? I like #1 and the blues tie into the room, but there is no gold in it and I'm not sure if that makes a difference or if I can just pull more blues into the room somehow. Thoughts or any other ideas?
Thanks in advance.
wig

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with fabric selection

I like #3 & #4. I think the others look too tropical.

o

Of these, 3 is best, but I don't like any of them...your room looks more rustic and I don't see a rustic choice here.

o

What would you consider a rustic choice?

o

Whatever you choose, I think your chair needs a much thicker seat cushion - to the tune of 3 or 4 inches. Of the tropical ones, I like #1. For something other than that, a fat stripe might be nice.

o

Yes, I plan to add some thickness. I'm just feeling a bit lost. I spent some time earlier googling images of upholstered wicker chairs to try to get some ideas, but didn't really get anywhere. I think that the tropical ones aren't quite right for the room, I just liked the designs bringing some brightness in. If anyone has ideas I'm open. I don't think that any of the ones I posted really work. Blah!

o

I too would like a stripe, although not so wide as to be an awning stripe--- that is also summery and beachy--- but perhaps a fabric with lots of stripes in varying widths, incorporating all the colors of tan, white, peach, blue and gold.

o
Rustic

Regarding Annie's post, I think that a very large gingham check (squares about 2"x2") in a tan and white, or a gold and white, or blue and white, would be a familiar and rustic pattern with an updated look.

o

If you want blues and golds, you could do a plaid

a stripe

a check

or a small print

Something that goes with the wood beams and the stone wall....

All the swatches are from calico corners only because their website is easy to use. These are just to give you an idea of what styles of fabrics I think might work in your space.

o

I don't care for checks or plaid. Any thoughts on any of these?
4. P1010321

5. P1010322

6. P1010323
Although this does look dark, it looks ok in the room as the rest of the room is light. I'm almost tempted to paint the chair the slate blue in this fabric.

Ok, so am I any closer?

o

I love #5 I think it brings energy to the room and works well off the yellow tones plus it flatters the chair. You have a very comfy looking room.

o

of the last 3, #4 is the best, IMO...and all 3 are better than the 1st 3 choices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here