Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Patio is Done (pics)!! and PS Request :o)

jan_in_wisconsin
15 years ago

Our patio install is done, and we're very happy with how things turned out. Thanks so much to everyone who helped with the paver and wall choices. I am posting some pictures below (posting lots because I'm not sure which are most important).

The patio has two sections, one which we thought could be used for a circular seating area with a center fire pit (furthest from patio doors). The other, we would like for lounge chairs of some sort (closer to patio doors).

We're thinking of some from the Grand Tuscany collection by Hanamint. I'll post the link at the bottom of this post. Do you think those would work in black perhaps, with a brightly colored cushion? What about the lounge chairs, would they also need to be from that collection, or could wood ones coordinate too?

The biggest problem we have now is what to do with the rest of the back yard, which is on a sloping hill. We're thinking of lots of plantings with mulch, including trees, perhaps on two tiers to break up the slope. Could anyone please, please consider Photoshopping some visual for me of the back yard landscape? I would appreciate it a whole lot. There is a flat area at the bottom of the hill, which will be used for grass and a pop up pool for the kids. As my screen name implies, I live in rural (northern) Wisconsin, so evergreens could work well incorporated too.

I know I need some lower level planters on the patio as well. I think I got carried away with higher flowerings because I wanted to add visual height to break up the horizontal-ness of the back of the house.

Thanks, and what do you all think? Any suggestions whatsoever are appreciated.

Jan

View of patio from sidewalk:

View from corner next to sidewalk:

View from center outside of patio:

View of landing and steps:

View from opposite patio entry way:

View from far side of patio:

View of sidewalk leading up to patio:

View of back yard from patio:

View of house from back yard:

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanamint Tuscany Collection

Comments (37)

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just want to say it's gorgeous! Enjoy

Joann

• User
    15 years ago

That really turned how well. Enjoy.

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Wow! It looks wonderful. I hope you have nice weather to enjoy it!

• blackeyedpeas
    15 years ago

Oh my word, that turned out fabulous! I would love to help with some suggestions but I don't have any right now, I just want to go look at your pictures again :o)

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

That looks like it should be in a magazine; it is so pretty! I like the idea of wrought iron too; it would look good against your light colors.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

It looks wonderful! I love all that open space and how the trees form a natural boundary. What a wonderful place for the kids to play. Do check if you are supposed to seal them, though, as they don't look sealed.

As for landscaping, I'd suggest you check out some books from the library to give you some ideas what you can to do with your space. Think of it like decorating the interior and different areas may have different functions--pool, garden, vergetable bed, shade garden, dining area, quiet retreat spot... If you haven't yet read any of my3dogs recent thread on her home make sure to check it out as she has posted some lovely spots of her garden and has a lot of open space as you do.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

I love stone, it looks good!

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!! Absolutely an eye catcher for sure!

• queenofmycastle0221
    15 years ago

I am going to go cry now! I am having just a concrete patio poured soon and I would so love to have yours instead.

Beautiful!

Alicia

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Wow, it is beautiful.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the kind responses. We're glad it turned out so well, as we struggled with the way we wanted it for quite some time.

valinsv, I will definitely check out my3dogs' thread. You're right that the patio hasn't been sealed yet, and I guess it can't be sealed until next spring. When we get it done, we'll probably go with the dry looking sealer so the color will remain the same. We're at a loss for the remainder of the back yard. It seems overwhelming, and I can't wait to discover more ideas.

Alicia, please don't cry. We built the house last year, and we were to have a concrete pad too. Then we decided to wait a year, save our money, and get a paver patio instead. It was quite a sandy mess for the past year, but it was worth the wait.

Thanks again, and any suggestions as to plantings, furnishings, arranging, or Photoshopping ideas are all welcome.

Jan

• work_in_progress_08
    15 years ago

Jan - Your new patio is beautiful. I am sure you will get many years of enjoyment and now have an outdoor entertaining area which is great.

I have a question tho, my monitor reads that your top step slopes on either side downward. Did you do this so that water does not "pool" on the top step? It may just be my computer or an optical illusion from the angle at which the pictures were taken?

We did our front entrace/steps/walkway with pavers late last summer. I love the look.

Enjoy!

• rucnmom
    15 years ago

I'll join you camarodreamer. Our patio is being installed next week - L-shaped with pavers, no seating wall. I think I like the curvy shape....

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

What a beautiful patio. I think the table and chairs would look perfect. I'm not one to help with landscaping. I think ours turned out just right, but only once we gave up planning and just bought what we liked. Not sure how it all came together though. So just relax. It will be easy if you just let it happen.

• citymomof3
    15 years ago

OMG~ it's just beautiful! I can totally see a nice firepit in the center with big comfy chairs around it!!! Take your time on the landscaping. That part is def. overwhelming.

Btw, what area of Wis are you in??? We've got family in Fitchburg and every time we visit it makes me want to move. I LOVE Wisconsin!!!

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

work in progress - I think it's an illusion with the shadows in the picture, as the steps are not slanted on either side of the door. However, the whole patio is slanted slightly toward the back yard, for drainage reasons.

justgotabeme - Yes, that's sort of how our landscaping has come together in the past. We've put in the things we love, slowly, and somehow it ends up great. This is a bigger area than we've worked with before though. We're getting some landscapers' opinions as well.

Citymom - we live north of Green Bay in a rural area. Cheese head all the way. BTW, I want Brett Favre to come back SO badly!!!

• fnmroberts
    15 years ago

It's stunning. Any patio furniture would be proud to have you relax there. I like the one you linked however personally I don't want to have to deal with cushions. How large is the patio and how many might you entertain. A teak set would look good and some of them have self-storing leaves so they can be enlarged when necessary.

As to landscaping, some of the wisest $$$'s we spent was to have a professional design created. They will recommend plants, spacing and placement and you can DIY over time. I believe ours cost about $350 but that was several years ago. In the mean time, just plant grass. Your patio does not need plantings to be enjoyed.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

frnroberts, I understand about the cushions, and I love teak, however, I'm not crazy about how it looks when it's weathered, not to mention the harsh elements (hail, wind, rain, heat, etc.) that are the hallmark of Wisconsin's weather. I also think I'd like the cushions for their color and texture, however, you're right about them being a pain to put away, etc.

We don't entertain often. The patio will be more for us to enjoy, but we do invite both sets of our parents over quite a bit, as well as my sister's family. So, typically, there might be eight adults and a few kids. One of the reasons we chose the walls for the patio was to have plenty of extra seating space, if needed. My oldest will be graduating in a few years, and it would be nice to have the back yard done for that.

We've tossed around the idea of having a professional landscape design done for the back yard, and the more I think about it, the better the idea seems. Your design price was very reasonable. I'll do some checking around.

Thanks,

Jan

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

It's fantastic--just stunning!

I used to live in Baraboo. :)

• marisany
    15 years ago

I love your patio, and I think the Hanamint furniture will look great. I like cushions. I would not mix wood and metal, but would buy everything from the same collection.

I know nothing about landscaping, but there is a landscaping forum where you might get some suggestions.

• parma42
    15 years ago

Hi Jan, I see that everything has turned out beautifully in the back! What a nice patio. Love the walls.

Yeah, Farve...talk to the management about that as he wants to come back.

What I did in the back of our last house is create berms, some oval and some kidney shaped. Seeing as it's the North Country, I'd like to see a birch or two in one of them. If you do plant birch, they are shallow rooted so make sure to plant whatever flowers you'd like at the same time. They don't like their roots disturbed after they've been in for a while.

I also like the looks of ornamental grasses out back and they are maintenance free. Just cut them down in spring and you're good to go. Have a group of three in the back of a berm with a bird bath, feeder and lower flowers in front.

If you're so inclined, and want a bigger berm in back, what I've done is hide a few tomato plants there. They taste so much better than store bought.

If you'd like a list of perennials that I've had luck with up there, just shoot me an email and I'd be glad to help.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Organic- I didn't know you used to live in Baraboo! Small world!

marisany - You've confirmed what I figured - that it's best to stick with the same type of finish, i.e. iron or wood, etc. The lounge chairs through Hanamint are quite long, so I wasn't sure if they'd fit well in the space. Hmmmm . . . back to the drawing board. A store not too far away has some in stock, so I might get measurements there and come back to see if it would work after all. I just love the dark metal look for contrast.

Parma - Berms are really nice, and we definitely want plantings, especially trees and perennials versus 100% lawn in the back yard. We had to get the patio installed first because the trucks that come in for that would have torn up a lawn. Now that the hardscaping is done, we can work on the rest. It will have to be done in phases due to time and financial constraints, but it's going to be fun to plant things. I love everything leafy and flowery. The only drawback for the time being is that we essentially live on a giant sand hill, which the kids love, but is also very messy. Sand ends up everywhere. We do have some birch in the yard already, and we really like them. We could definitely go for more. River birch have very interesting peely bark. I will take you up on the e-mail and shoot you one soon.

Thanks!

Jan

• no_green_thumb
    15 years ago

Hi, Jan,
    I am late to this party, but just had to tell you how beautifully your patio turned out. Remember a few months ago we communicated on this forum as I was struggling not only with choices, but with my $18,000 estimate for a small patio. Well, of course, we spent way more money than we had planned, but ours turned out well. The person we found did exactly what we wanted == and exactly what he said he was going to do. He was just able to plant the grass last Thursday because of all of our rain. I have been working like a maniac doing the landscaping. I dug stone paths, one to the fern garden, one to the bbq grill. Once he planted the grass, everything I needed for my projects needed to be carried through my kitchen, as we can't walk in the back. I haven't even looked at this forum in weeks(I am sure I missed a lot). Today I finally finished most of my planting --- and the temperature has dropped to less than 70 and a cold wind is blowing from WI :):) I hope to get a chance to post pics soon.
    My patio is not nearly as grand as yours. I love your walls, what great areas for extra seating. As far as your furniture - I haven't gotten new yet, that's a project for next year, but I currently have dark green and I love the contrast with the stone. Mine is similar to yours. I think yours is Brussels Unilok if I remember. I cannot remember what brand mine is. My next furniture will be dark as well.
    As for the plantings, consider some more containers on the patio, but group them. I have pots on my steps, on the one side, three pots. I was able to locate stone pots that look like they were made from the same stone as the pavers.
    I did have a landscape design done. Although I didn't go with that guy, it did give me some ideas for plantings. In my case, I don't think it was worth the money spent, but I did like seeing a plan. That may be a good choice for you, even just for the ideas. Keep in mind that most of the people who do the design also want your business to install the plantings. Landscape is such a "work in progress". It never really gets done IMO -- just evolves. Have fun and congrats on such a beautiful patio. Enjoy!!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

You've done a beautiful job with your patio : ) That's quite an expanse of land. I, too, picture lots of trees and naturalistic landscaping, as you mentioned. Separate areas, or garden rooms, can break it up if you'd like something like that. You could even work in some fruits and vegetables.

My dad was not a professional landscaper but loved his home, trees, shrubs and working in the yard. He would sit outside and dream and envision. Over time, he created an original landscape for the property, beautiful and unlike any of the others in the neighborhood. That's what I love about the old properties. He's gone now, so it's not the same, but it is in my mind and heart when I'm there. With some research, a joy of the gardening adventure (with its trials and errors), and some consultations with experts on your ideas where needed or for problem solving, one can develop something beautiful, personal, and unique. It will be filled with love, hard work, and pride and have a very special quality and meaning over the years, for everyone in the family.

I would start by looking at pictures, looks, and plants and combinations you see that you love. You should do this even when fully relying on a designer for a plan.

I've always thought P. Allen Smith does beautiful work and he's very informative generally. Someone here posted a fabulous link to an architect's site, maybe it was Allison's architect's site. If I find the link, I'll post it, but don't recall the name. There are some gorgeous books out there also, showing lots of different landscape styles.

It *is something to take one's time on. And buying plants that are not quite so young is a good idea as, unfortunately, it can take a lifetime for things to fill out and mature.

• no_green_thumb
    15 years ago

Oh, Squirrel, you said it so much better than I ever could have. Personally, I just think that landscaping evolves as I said above. I never want to be "done" -- although right now my knees and back want me to be --
    Jan has such a beautiful expanse of land. Somehow I see that as the main focal point. I can see just sitting on her patio, just enjoying the view. For that reason, personally I would not "over-landscape".
    But I can see maybe a walkway from the patio to a separate garden area(s). I am glad I did not have someone come in and just plant. That would have been way too easy!! - but also, I would have been getting what they wanted me to have and maybe not what I wanted.
    You have one beautiful piece of property, Jan. Beautiful views!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I was glad to see you post that, GreenThumb, as I was sitting on my post : )

One of my favorite books is linked. Apparently, he's got another as part of a series (recommended in the book reviews), which covers native plant gardening. That one is called "The Natural Habitat Garden." Another one hits the cart!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ken Druse - 'The Natural Garden'

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I would recommend you pay to have a landscape company come out and do a drawing for you. It might cost several hundred dollars, but then you can decide whether to have them do the work, and then they generally deduct the drawing fee from the job, or you can do it on your own as you have time and funds.

My initial thoughts would be to do some large beds around the stone walls and all the way down to steeper slope to the house. I'd do a combo of shrubs and perennials. But again, a design sketch would really get your ideas going.

As far as the yard area, I picture two large trees - maple or oak that would break up the large yard and give you some shade. I recently planted a Redbud tree in my yard, and it's so beautiful in the spring.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey, no green thumb! I have been thinking of you and your patio. I'm so glad you found someone who really listened to what you wanted. Now, you can enjoy the planting and evolution of your outdoor area! :o)
    I hope you'll post pictures when you can. I totally agree that I never want to be "done" planting things, as you said. The expanse of land is for sure our focal point, and I don't want to overdo it or obstruct the view to the back yard.

Squirrel, your dad sounds like he was a wonderful, creative person. I think that creativity is so important with outdoor areas, just as it is indoors. It's amazing how much is added to a property visually with plantings and color in the form of flowers and trees. I'm going to check out the link you posted. Thanks so much! While we'll value insight from a professional, we definitely want to have some input. It's not going to happen overnight, that's for sure. Maybe it's too much to Photo Shop too, but a visual would be very helpful.

Carol, thanks for your thoughts. I would love a colorful tree, as the Redbud you mentioned. It's interesting you mentioned maple and oak trees. We have a 140-year-old maple and a 150-year-old oak in the front yard. I love them SO much. We had to cut down a clump of box elder trees to place the house, which may not have been a great loss, as I understand they are not great trees, but now the back yard has a large clearing, compared to our tree-filled front yard. I want to keep the clearing for the most part, but add some trees around the perimeter, and both maple and oak are native here. I guess we have to stay at least 25 feet away from the patio with large trees, and that's okay. We do get shade on the patio most of the afternoon from the house itself.

Do you all think that the cushions for the patio furniture must be the same color, or can I mix and match with patterns and solids, etc?

Thanks again, all,

Jan

• no_green_thumb
    15 years ago

Thanks, Squirrel. I will look that book up. I am all about natural looking landscapes. I never did like the shrubs that are all lined up in a row trimmed and sculpted. That is not how nature is ---JMO.
    Jan, I can almost see a walkway coming down off the side of the patio, which if I am looking correctly would be on the right facing the back of the house. Then you could plant loads of perennials there. I see the back more open, perhaps with some trees, maybe a grouping or area at the bottom of the hill.
    I made mine out of some of the flagstone left from my former patio.
    I will try to post pics soon. I thought I would have some time tomorrow, but will be at Cleveland Clinic. My niece is having severe headaches and eye problems. They still cannot figure out what is going on, but I think are getting closer. I think she will be admitted. Since my sister is a single parent, I will be there with her, so as soon as I can, I will take some pictures. We even have a few blades of grass coming in. That is very exciting after looking at piles of dirt for so very long. Mine is not nearly as grand as yours, but my yard is so much smaller. We are very happy with how it turned out --- now if I could only find time to sit out there (with some alcohol) and relax.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's another beautiful book. The title alone is inspirational : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens in the Spirit of Place

• marisany
    15 years ago

Jan, I think that mixing fabrics for cushions would be fine. And if you need more shade, you could get one of those huge cantilevered umbrellas.

squirrel, the cover of that book is lovely! What are those white shrubs/trees?

no-green-thumb, I hope everything is all right with your niece. I'm sure you are a great support for your sister.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

no-green-thumb - Yes, we were planning on having a walkway in exactly that location. There needs to be a way off the patio and down deep into the back yard. I would love to see your flagstone, as we really like the look of it. Hope your niece finds good hands in the medical community.

Squirrel - Thank you! I love learning new things. It will be a great read.

Marisany - I love those big free standing umbrellas with the large weighted bases. We do get a LOT of wind, and a normal umbrella table would be across the road with the first storm - LOL. The patio doors are off of the dining room area, which is a brick red color. Do you think it's smart to use similar colors (like reds, golds, and blacks), to those I have indoors on the patio? I really like burnt orange, but nothing inside is really quite that color, although we have a lot of warm colors in the house. Decisions, decisions . . . but I love the process so much! :o)

Jan

• marisany
    15 years ago

I should say that I am not an expert - just free with my opinions! I see no reason why you should have to coordinate with your indoor colors. Why not go with burnt orange on the patio? I see from your flowers that you are going with "hot" colors - I think this will look great with the patio, the house, and the dark metal furniture.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Jan, definitely keep your view from the inside in mind (and even frame your views). Inside-outside decorating : )

Marisany (I want to see how that turned out with your red toile quilt : ) Those look like Cherry Blossoms. One of my favorites are the large, picturesque Weeping Cherry trees (although they don't do so well around here, we have some). They look like Weeping Willows (another favorite) but flower in the Spring. Seems hard to find photos of more than just the blossoms:

Weeping Cherry .... Cherry Blossom Trees .... Cherry Blossom Trees

No more chocolate for me! (after this lot is gone, that is : )

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Whoops, sorry Marisany : )

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

This was the site, a more cultured or tailored look, for around the house. Lots of beautiful things to look at, anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack Arnold

• marisany
    15 years ago

squirrel, I can't believe you remembered that thread! It took forever for the furniture to come; the headboard was defective, and I had to wait for another one. When I finally had it all together, the thread had disappeared! I will post a photo soon; I love the red toile with the furniture, and I am so grateful to you for suggesting it in the first place, and for all the photoshopping! I don't have a throw at this point, or curtains - am in the middle of a bathroom renovation and working on the LR and sunroom.