Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgps

Squirrels in octagonal polyester pants: the sequel

rgps
9 years ago

Got lots of great opinions and advice on my fireplace wall reconstruction and octagonal windows so I'm putting it all together and DH drew out my current thinking. First a few items of info.

The back wall is only 6 feet high due to roofline
The ceilings are white and walls SW Navajo white
That huge thing on the right sided wall is a pantry made of alder
The window seats will house the firewood and misc junk.
There will be bookcases in the window seats-placement in limbo for now
The floors are natural white oak
I am making the tiles this winter for around the fireplace. Going for greenish arts and crafts look. I have some wonderful matte green glazes and some of the tiles will be carved. Can't wait to start but have to get back down to the studio in the desert when the pipes freeze here.

Please give suggestions on how to improve this design.
If someone could tell me how to link my original post with all my pictures I would be most grateful, or should I just repost a couple on this thread. I'm all scared because I don't know proper GW etiquette . What would Emily Post say if I erred. I've read her cover to cover and she just doesn't have all the answers.

Does it look too much like a face?

Comments (26)

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

I may be missing something with this idea, but what about putting the pantry on the wall where you are planning the floor to ceiling bookcase and then have bookcases on either side of the stove? Combustibility may be an issue with anything that is close by.

Here is your first thread: "Death to the squirrel freeway"

And second: "Which is worse..octagonal windows or polyester pants"

For your reference, here is some info on how to do the fancy stuff here: "How to insert links, photos, change text, etc"

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Atho. Thanks for posting the links
    Your idea is a good one but I have already got the alder bookcase all designed AND the lumber cut so turning back would break my heart. I designed this piece so of course I think it is perfection itself but I may be fooling myself. I am a potter and collector of pots made by friends so want to display them along with our hundreds of books. It may look too busy but I made one similar in college and have been lusting after another one. There was a bidding war in the dorm over who would inherit it when I left. But maybe is too groovy 1972 for 2014 .

The blue painters tape out line is too too chic don't you think. This bookcase is going on the dining room wall, I think that's where you suggested putting the pantry cabinet, no?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I don't think the window seats add a whole lot to the installation. I think much taller windows without the bulky window seats would look much better. Especially since the custom bookcase will be visually impinging into the space. It crowds things too much visually to cut off the space at the knees with the window seats.

Or, maybe it's just those side panels flanking the stove. They are kinda claustrophobic inducing.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Looks like a wonderful plan -- here's a link to some pins of Arts & Crafts tiles on Pinterest ..... just for inspiration or discussion .... LOVE the idea for handmade green tiles!! :)

There is a green tile on there ...... with a squirrel!!! :) Just teasing! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- Arts & Crafts tiles

• athomeinvagw
    9 years ago

You could remove the pantry, center the stove on the wall, and have closed cabinets on either side that are up to the window height. The total storage area may not be that different.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd reverse it: have the wood and misc. holders up high and the windows low so that you can take advantage of the view. Like this, only imagine the windows are at floor level.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Live wire oak. You are correct in that taller window would look better but the roof and eaves preclude having them go higher. Or do you mean just ditching the seats and having the windows be longer top to bottom? Also I can ditch the idea of any bookshelves in the window seat since I will have plenty of bookcase in the dining room if it seems too claustrophic. If I don't do window seats where should I put the wood?

Atho-I like your idea. I'll put that in my pipe and smoke it for a bit.

You guys are awesome

Teacats-I have those pins memorized! Love them.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix what a concept . Never crossed my mind to put storage on top. I'll have DH draw up some of these good ideas everyone is coming up with and see what happens. I love GW. Glad I finally got up the nerve after 12 years lurking to post questions.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

And, get windows that you can crank out from the bottom, and then you can store more wood under the eave outside and under those windows, and you can just open the windows, grab a couple of logs, haul 'em in, close the window, and get on with your nice, warm, wintry night in the cabin with dad's funny chandelier!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Wait, I am confused. The back wall is only six feet? Do you mean just the section from the top of the window seats in the the drawing to the ceiling or from the floor to the ceiling there?

Oh, and btw, I really love the titles of your threads!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

cyn, they have a sloped ceiling/roof there, and the slope extends further beyond the wall, outside. There is an amazing view on that side of the house, but due to the slope in the roof there, the view can't be seen from typical windows in that wall, hence my suggestions of putting windows at floor level and storage above them.

rgps is bummed, though, that there is no view of a Walmart there. I'm sure if Walmart has its way, there will be one day.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Teacats, if the green squirrel tiles depicts them wearing octagonal, polyester pants rgps just has to use them!

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In honor of all of you I will be making a tile of a squirrel with octagonal pants. Life is too short to not be silly. Will post a design soon so stay tuned. If you know what Batchelder tiles are you know where I'm going with this. Ever since I got married in my grandmas 1911 wedding dress I have been stuck in that Edwardian aesthetic.

Yeah the distance from ceiling to floor going to have to be 6 feet but 3 feet out it will jump to 8 feet.

No matter what size the window are they will be awning style but with screens so probably can't use the great idea tibbrix suggested.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Take a look at inglenooks...given your location and the proposed set up, it might be the perfect application.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Holy moly Annie that first picture would be my dream. The search is over. Now just have to see if Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will fund it.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Who needs a stupid pantry anyway

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Rgps, You are so much fun. I about died laughing at this latest title. I can't wait to see your tiles.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I love the pictures above!

I found two photos with a lowered ceiling over a focal point. Here's one..

[Contemporary Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2103) by San Francisco Architects & Building Designers SB Architects

Here's the other.

[Beach Style Family Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/beach-style-family-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_720~s_2110) by Other Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers Kitchen Choreography

I think looking at the first one, I do like the clean lines of the windows without seats surrounding the fireplace, although they do have a little clean lined storage.

I also like that the windows echo the size/height/placement of the windows on the side wall. Not sure if that's possible for you but might make the room look pulled together?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

rpgs, an octoganal, polyester PANTry!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Well, if you only have six feet floor to ceiling there, I would make the entire wall glass, but I am guessing I missed a lot of info since others seem much more familiar with your project than I, so maybe that wouldn't work! :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

rgps, you do know it's an inspiration, not meant to be a literal translation, yes? By turning the seating sideways, you may be able to create a nook around the woodstove without putting up the "barrier" walls as in your sketch which will block the heat thrown by the woodstove.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Rgps, I love Annie's idea about putting the seating sideways! Solves all the issues... (a) you can still use the area under the seats for storage (b) you can put in larger windows (c) people sitting in the seats can either look at the fire or out the windows.

Remember, it doesn't HAVE to be symmetrical.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

They probably have to have the barrier for safety reasons. You can't have flammable material within a certain distance of wood stoves.

• rgps
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm baacccckkkk.

So here's the deal so far.

DH is on the roof tearing out chimney and getting haunta virus from all the pack rat and squirrel poop and nests. (Not to worry, he has a super duper respirator on).

The windows are ordered so no great ideas on how to improve that part of the plan guys.

The bookcase looking thing on the right is a pantry WITH doors on it.

The right window seat looks a little huge but we want to put a twin mattress there for more sleeping options should my wayward children ever decide to make us grandparents.

Whatdaya think.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think it's fantastic!

Should you ever have the pitter patter of little feet around your joint, though, you might want to put some kind of barrier, maybe a wrought iron fence, between the wood stove and the mattress. Also make sure the mattress itself isn't close enough to the stove to combust should it get as hot as wood stoves get!

• three3apples
    9 years ago

I'm on the inglenook bandwagon. Do it!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living