Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonaliagrawal_gw

Please help with my open floor plan color scheme!

sonaliagrawal
13 years ago

So I have been struggling with nailing down the paint color scheme for my open floor plan area of kitchen/living/family/corridor/foyer. It is all painted SW toasted almont now, which is like a light light beigey cream. There is a lot of light in these rooms in the daytime, nice and bright! The corridor is fairly dark in terms of light. I love color and dont mind having some bold colors. I do have a blue-gray in my master bed and am thinking of baby turtle (green) for my guest bed.

The color scheme in my mind for this area is like a dark chocolate brown walls in the living area, a golden tan in the corridors and foyer, and the kitchen TBD. I could then purple and orange accents all over here.

Please tell me what you see going on in these rooms. I am so so stumped, I need help!

Here are some pictures...

Entry to the house:

The foyer i.e. the other side of the above brown door:

Family room part of the open area:

(The end wall opens to a wooden patio. The couch needs to stay, but the rug can optionally move to another room. The TV cant go on top of the mantle as it is going to be too high. The paintings above the mantle can be repurposed to elsewhere.)

Couch up close...

Dining room part:

(Rug can optionally be repurposed to another room)

Kitchen:

Corridors:

Bonus picture of the king of the house:

Comments (4)

• sonaliagrawal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Also, here are the decorative sheers that will go on both sides of the family/dining room windows. These will be non functional, and they are purely for softening the walls of the room up. I do have solar shades installed on the extra, which protect from the UV. The room has a great view, and does not need any privacy as nobody can look into this room.

• oopsie913
    13 years ago

I GOT SO LOST IN looking at your wonderful house and the view!! Are you near the water maybe, and up high?. I couldnt tell what i saw out there. Gorgeous! Anyway. I think you've nailed it on the brown for the dining area, especially with the lighter floors. The entry door? I also like that deep brown against the brick but you COULD do a deep purple/violet or eggplant there but with the gold in the side light...hmmm.
    Do I see a burgundy swatch on the kitchen wall? That might look nice. As far as the prints on mantel. I see something more abstract with some color and rounded or wispy shapes to contrast all the straight lines I see, and keep the prints propped in various sizes, 3 of them since you have '2 of' of other things there. Maybe you should build a built in lower bookcase/console unit that would match the trim and put the TV on that where the tv is now. I dont think it should be any higher than the top of the inside of the firebox so your TV would still stay at an eye level. Thats all i have for you right now. Good luck.

• sonaliagrawal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@Oopsie: We are up on a mountain. We see the residential areas on the lower hills, and the bay, and the hills beyond the bay. It is quite beautiful.

I fear that a dark brown in living room (SW jute brown is the swatch up there in the pictures) and a deep red in the kitchen (BM aura caliente is the swatch in the pics) might be too much and too dark... thoughts? Also I am not getting to paint the kitchen cabs white anytime soon, so I need something that will make the cabinets not look so dull.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Lovely home. I think you may be right about the red and brown, but then, I am not a fan of that combo at all. I know a lot of the decorating shows use those together, but I just dislike it. Are you a fan of green? That might look nice with both your countertops and cabinets and would also work when/if you paint the cabinets.