Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chedanemi_gw

LIving Room Furniture Layout

chedanemi
9 years ago

I really need help. This living room is such an odd shape! The area by the fireplace will be the main seating area since the TV is on the wall next to the FP. The problem area is the 33' long wall with the three large windows on it.

In the upper right corner, I drew a few too many steps. Right where the work "stairs" is, is actually a hallway to the kitchen. So, walking from the kitchen along the 33' wall goes to the sunroom. There is room for furniture along that wall without interrupting the natural flow from kitchen to sunroom, but I just don't know what to put there!

I'd be happy to elaborate on the floorplan or post some pictures.

Comments (7)

• rosie
    9 years ago

Chedanemi, I don't have a good layout for you, but the first thing I would do if it were mine would be to cut loose from any notion that a main seating group should focus on the fireplace. Just to see what happens. For one, the TV gets to move around.

In any case, in modern homes furniture never needs to huddle around a source of heat, and fireplaces don't have to have a sofa facing them to be attractive features. Once the fireplace becomes simply an attractive element in a cozy corner (reading corner with club chair and ottoman?), but not necessarily the beginning and end of your layout, your "odd" shaped space seems to offer all kinds of interesting possibilities. The FP'd also be far more attractive if you COULD place the TV elsewhere.

I also really dislike the very common notion (because it is so relentlessly common these days and ruins many possibilities) that a room is complete with just one conversation group and nowhere for people to relax who want to chat about something other than football. Or that furniture groupings should "float." Why? Is everyone expecting a flood?

Your long wall, for instance, might hold a smallish secondary group. Pulling an occasional chair up to this would make that happen.

You could perhaps find place for a desk or small table near a window to tend household affairs at while you look out the window or a pair of friends to chat across over drinks. Or?

• chedanemi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much for your ideas. I, too, thought perhaps a secondary seating area along the wall, but I had no real ideas. Your pictures give me some starting points.

I really appreciate your input!

Cheryl

• teacats
    9 years ago

Perhaps use the wall area between the windows along the long wall to create a bookshelf that would "fill in" that area ..... consider adding closed cabinets under the windows themselves -- and maybe add a light above each window (or between each window?)

Or create the wall of shelves with a window seat (and storage!) below each window .....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pinterest -- shelves around windows

• chedanemi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the shelving/bench idea. That could work; maybe in conjunction with the previous suggestion for seating area.

More suggestions are welcome!

• chedanemi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the shelving/bench idea. That could work; maybe in conjunction with the previous suggestion for seating area.

More suggestions are welcome!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would think about adding bookcases between the windows and making the area a "library" space with maybe a table and couple of chairs like a games table and then a couple of separate club chairs with reading lamps and a small table with each....an ottoman for a foot rest if there's room.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I think the area by the stairs is calling for 2 or three comfy, cozy chairs, for reading or sharing a cup of tea with friends.

And I love the idea of bookcases between the windows.