Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_wisconsin

Mixing Leather Colors on Upholstery in the same Room

jan_in_wisconsin
10 years ago

What are some helpful guidelines for mixing furniture leather colors in the same room?

Presently, I have a coffee brown (quite dark) ottoman, and DH wants a leather recliner. Is it possible to mix in a deep reddish brown leather for the recliner?

I will link below to the recliner by Lane.

Or, is it really best to go for a lighter leather to contrast with the dark? The other furniture will be a creamy color, with some rusty red accent pillows.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lane Recliner

Comments (9)

• cliff_and_joann
    10 years ago

I have a leather sofa in reddish brown, a completely
    different color leather chair in the brown family, and a creamy white leather chair and ottomen in the same room, they look nice...in my opinion anyhow.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

I have the exact situation that Joann is describing, and I like it. I think my rug helps tie the pieces together. If I can find a pic later, I'll come back and post it.

• brachl
    10 years ago

I have 2 chairs, a sofa, and an ottoman in burgundy leather in our family room and they live happily with two taupe leather chairs with ottomans - everyone wants to sit there (and not in our living room) so i think it works -as with the other posters' rooms, what ties it together is our rug

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

Jan, this is an OLD picture, but at least you get to see the chair and the sofa in two different leathers. The rug colors don't show well in this pic, but I do feel they are the link between the two.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Nice recliner, love that it swivels. I think it will work just fine the way you describe it. Dark with another tone of dark rather than light would be my choice. The reddish brown would work fine.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joann, that's great to hear. What shade of brown is the chair?

My3dogs, your room is absolutely beautiful! I love it and your style. I have carpet in a neutral light golden shade. The picture really helps me visualize.

Yayagal, I prefer darker leather over light. The store designer didn't think the reddish brown would work well with dark brown unless the dark brown also had reddish tones.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

This sounds bad, but I have a leather navy love seat along with a dark brown leather recliner and a brown fabric recliner in my living room. With light carpeting and walls, and glass end tables, I think it looks fine.

• sandyandbailey
    7 months ago

Can someone help me? I have a nail head brown leather loveseat and a matching brown chair and ottoman and couch. All beautuful dark brown nail head. My problem is I need to replace my couch. The cushions are not transferrable and the two end ones are worn out. We have had the couch for 16 yrs. And the chair but it doesn't get as much use. I would like to get rust color in my living room to cooridnate with my fireplace trim. But would a rust color leather couch coordinate with the dark brown chair and loveseat? Any suggestion would be appreciated. I have a small cockapoo so I need anyfurniture pet friendly.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH