Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

An Inappropriate Attachment

bbstx
9 years ago

I have fallen in love - hard! My house is very traditional and I'm totally in love with the BluDot Strut Console in Watermelon, no less!

[Modern Coffee Tables[(https://www.houzz.com/products/modern-coffee-tables-prbr1-br~t_532~s_2105) by Sacramento Lighting Lumens

It is the perfect size for my dining room. It is 60" long x 11.5" deep x 30" high.

Can I make this work or should I find a more suitable object for my affection? Can we grow old together or is this just a passing infatuation?

Here is my dining room. The console would go on the unseen wall to the far left in the photograph.

Comments (75)

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I agree with all those who say to get it. It's not a life investment for goodness sake.

And, when you tire of it, give it away.
    But, for now and maybe many months from now, it will make you smile every time you walk past it.

Do you really care if "it goes" with the rest of your house?
    Will the decorating police come knocking on your door if you purchase this item?

• TheRedHouse
    9 years ago

There's no rush, right? It'll still be available in a few weeks? Wait a bit and if you still love it, buy it!

There are a couple of photos of the table on Houzz (not the watermelon color though) you can check out for styling ideas. Maybe you can swap out the art over your fireplace with the dining room art to compliment the color of the table. Add another couple bits of watermelon color to the room and enjoy. Be careful though, I think that table is some kind of seductive gateway decor...

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I suspect all of you who tell me he won't fit in at Thanksgiving dinner with the family are accurate. I don't really think he'll do anything outrageous, but they'll look at him and think "NOKD."

Before I accept his offer to go steady, I'll think on it a bit more.

Regardless, I haven't had this much fun since the 7th grade, scoping out the bad boy with the tattoos and no future, but, man!, did he have dreamy eyes. And swagger!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I think your table has a name. Gor-DON, as in the Sprint Framily ad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gor-Don is the one on the right.

• catkin
    9 years ago

Yes!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

If it is cheap enough, go for the fling and when you are over it, use it outside for a summer bar.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

He may be a Gor-DON, but in my eyes, he's not that far out there.

I can handle his running through the house shouting post-modernist poetry in obscure languages, but he's not suitable for outdoors, so his cigar smoking will have to cease tout suite.

Thanks to a lovely chat person at AllModern, a color swatch is on its way. I want to see what 3 architects in Minneapolis think Watermelon looks like.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

No one ever said on their deathbed "I had too many flings". Find something else watermelon to tie it in, and then get it.

But for heavens' sake use protection.

Edited:
    On your floors. Use protection when you move furniture across your floors.

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Sun, Nov 16, 14 at 20:07

• blfenton
    9 years ago

Ok, you have to bring that bad boy, I mean it, home because I really want to see how he, shoot, I mean it, fits into your home life.

• katrina_ellen
    9 years ago

I sometimes get a yearning for something totally different, but then I realize that in the long run it would not be a good idea. You know that when decorating, when you make a change like that it doesn't stop at the table. Just be prepared to make other changes to fit it in.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

I have to shate a quote I saw on a plaque last week at the garden center:

"Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time!"

Go for it.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

So get it already!! lol it's obvious you want it. What's *need* got to do with it ?!?!

• sameboat
    9 years ago

I actually think it's just what your dining room needs! It's unexpected and very cool.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm saving myself for the swatch. I discovered that All+Modern (or is it AllModern+) sells it with a 30 day return policy and free shipping. Interesting, the "free shipping" is for the carrier to bring it to my drive-way then I have to unload it from the truck. At 31 pounds, he certainly isn't a fatso! So, if the swatch isn't ghastly, neon-y, omg-y, I'll order it.

Is 30 days sufficient time for lust to run its course? Will I know how I truly feel in such a short time? Will my friends drop by just to see the new resident -- and to laugh at the inappropriateness?

Stay tuned....

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Mmmmmm.

Just an FYI-I left the All-American, khakis and polo shirts guy at the altar in favor of the long haired, tattooed bad boy 25 years ago and we're still together.

I suspect this scrumptious watermelon fella might just be the one who works out for you. Not all bad boys will break your heart. They might cause tongues to wag, but it's your knees that will get weak..

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here are some really weak photoshopping attempts. I couldn't get a really good photo out the dining room pic so I also did your living room with the melon table, just to get an idea of it in your space. Hope it helps a little!

• amykath
    9 years ago

Sorry this is not better.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

Oh, there she goes. Down the slippery slope. Next thing you know, she'll have a skull tattoo and a pierced navel.

Here is some artwork to hang over your new table:

Really, just kidding. The table is completely bewitching. Ask him if he has a brother.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Y'all are cracking me up! Aktillery, I appreciate your photoshopping the table in. If anything, it made me even more infatuated.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

If you can be flexible about size you may want to check out the Slim tables in Colors at Room and Board. A cheaper date than BluDot, easier to break up with.

Personally I like the idea of this table if you are willing to put more contemporary pieces in the mix.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

BBstx, I LOVE the table and would definitely get it for,your dining room....you NEED something in there to shake it up a bit! If you can find a funky fabric that includes the watermelon color and those in the painting that will hang above it, I would use it for small lumbar pillows on your dining chairs.

The lines of the table are marvelous!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

I will be that alter ego who eggs you on to get this piece.

Find the right pieces of artwork, perhaps a piece of sculpture (at least two items), find something brazen, something watermelon and, buy it before it is gone.

It will be a conversation piece and that little something that adds an element of surprise to your otherwise beautiful and as alter ego says, mundane room. Make it speak, make it sparkle, make it slurpy, sumptuous watermelon.

https://www.etsy.com/market/watermelon_paintings

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I totally see that table working, especially if - as suggested by others - you repeat the colour elsewhere within the sightline(s). I think every room needs something that is unexpected, or clashes, to feel alive. Avoid a traditional approach to dressing the table up - no pairs of vases, plants, etc. I think a big plant placed asymmetrically would work.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

I know I posted some silly "artwork" but seriously... a great print would provide some brilliant color-companionship.

I looked for the dog print, which was originally sold through Anthropologie, but is no longer available.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

McClarke, someone has to help to lead us not into temptation. You rock! UR2Funny.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 13:52

• chispa
    9 years ago

If you search on houzz.com the terms "mixing modern and traditional furniture" you get endless examples. When you look, you will realize that there are no rules! Some of it looks hideous/crazy to me and some of it looks great ... it just depends on your personal taste.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a neighbor/good friend who is an artist and has promised me something for my new house. Maybe I'll ask her to include the watermelon color in what she does for me.

pal, thanks for the R&B recommendation. I like their Colors collection. Unfortunately, they do not have a piece as narrow (or is he just shallow?). The custom parsons table could be made in nearly the same dimension, but then it would cost as much as the Strut.

mc, how disappointing that the dog picture is no longer available. I don't know that it would have worked for me, but I thought it was interesting.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions of how to make Mr. Izzy Wright fit into the family smoothly.

Waiting for the swatches....

• Sweetpea5000
    9 years ago

mclarke,
    Thought you might like to know that your "silly artwork" is actually from the creative mind of Keith Haring, a popular NY artist of the 80s. As an openly gay man who died of AIDS, illness, death and dying became a big part of his later work. But earlier pieces were much like this one, almost playful in their exuberance, and have brought smiles to millions of fans all over the globe; they now sell in the 6 figure range; his sculptures go for $1,000,000+. I'd give my eye teeth to have one of his pieces!

And bbstx, I love that color! I have a friend who is an art dealer and she's always said that every room should have something in it that is unexpected and/or makes people smile. I try to do that and I really like it - it DOES make me smile!

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

I like it, and don't even think you need to bring in the colour elsewhere. I've read a lot of articles in design mags lately about a statement piece, left to stand on its own without repeating the colour elsewhere. It only works once. You can't have 3 accent pieces because then it looks like a garage sale. But given all the brown you've got. I tink it would stand out nicely.

I also think the colour on its own is very traditional, which works with the rest of the decor. If you were to upholster traditional dining chair seats in that, nobody would be shocked. But I also think that while your general style is traditional, you do have a modern streak that you need to let out here and there.

Do it!!

• amykath
    9 years ago

You obviously love it. I say get it! I think it can fit in with your other pieces.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The swatches came!!!! I put the soup can in the picture for reference. Sometimes the "watermelon" looks like it has a tinge of orange and other times it seems to have a bit of pink. I think he's a Chameleon stealing his way into my eyes (a nod to Sir Elton)

The cream and slate are nice -- the guys your mom would pick for you. But they can't hold a candle to "watermelon."

I'm sitting where I have a clear view of his side of the dining room. I 'm dreaming of him sitting there during Thanksgiving dinner, winking at me with wry humor. I'm a goner!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

edited to add pictures

This post was edited by bbstx on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 20:24

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Yay! I am so glad. You did yourself right when you said, "I'm saving myself for the swatch," LOL. You waited-- he's the one.

Gosh, I can think of a horribly (but funny) inappropriate comment right now, but I will keep it to myself.

• caminnc
    9 years ago

Do you have room for this one just under 10 ft. It would be handsome along a bank of windows. Consignment store find for $795. I love it in the right room.

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anele, I'll bet it is funny as can be.

Cam, that is a gorgeous piece of furniture but way too large for my house.

Sister came by today. I had not previously mentioned my inappropriate attachment to her. But today I spilled the beans -- swatches and pictures. She likes him!! He'll have at least one kind soul watching over him at family dinners.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

You have to get hitched. Absolutely!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hitched?!?! That is so permanent. Can't we just have a fling for a couple of years?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Absolutely, bbstx!

• blfenton
    9 years ago

This thread has infused this table with so much personality I think it will be hard to split up. But fling away! LOL.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Gorgeous color. Love it. Buy it.

• mjlb
    9 years ago

Okay, I missed have the comments because I had to roll down to the bottom to comment on mclarke's post -- that was hilarious! I really enjoyed it -- thanks!

• bbstx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I need this watermelon for my watermelon table by Wyatt Waters, a wonderful watercolorist.

• smalloldhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I'm shamelessly bumping this up in hopes for getting feedback from @bbstx on the Strut table - specifically, durability? I'm looking at getting one of the Strut coffee tables for a room that will see a lot of legos and un-coastered drinks. Some of the reviews mentioned scratching - I wondered if you have any sense of how sturdy the top is? The table is one of the few that is the right size/color/price, but if it's going to be a scratched up mess from every single lego, then I'll probably pass. Thanks so much for any real-life feedback!

• prettybluehouse
    9 years ago

I'd like to know too. I'm considering the console for my dining room- in watermelon of course. bbstx, did you ever get this bad boy? If so, how has it worked out for you?

• msrose
    9 years ago

I didn't know the old posts from GW would still be on here. That's great!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

He arrived. As I predicted, most of the family and friends are too polite to ask what he is doing here. But he gets lots of sideways glances. Are they thinking "OMG, how did she snag something that good looking?" or are they thinking "OMG, did she bring him home after a late night and now he won't leave?"

I'm still looking for a fabulous piece of art to put over it. Something with just a touch of watermelon in it. It will happen. I'm in no hurry.

small, the console is very sturdy, even though I put it together myself. I think the fact that they send a special microfiber cloth for dusting answers your question about scratching. It is VERY shiny - almost glass like. I have put felt pads on everything that sits on it. I have told my housekeeper to be especially careful when dusting it. I think it would be a scratched up within the first week if your children are going to play on it.

Have you looked at Room and Board, like Pal suggested to me above? One of these might work for you or one of the By the Inch tables plus you get to choose the material your top is made of. I don't believe children preclude nice furniture, but I think we have to be realistic about expectations for little ones. If it is going in an area where they are free to play, then the Strut may not be your best bet.

Blue, I think it is perfect in a dining room. I would not, however, use it as a buffet without a plan for protecting it from scratches. Plus, it is very narrow, only the width of a dinner plate - so, narrower than a platter. But I wanted something very narrow. Have you called Blu Dot to get swatches? The watermelon might be redder than you think. I got swatches of watermelon, slate, and cream. The watermelon sang to me (I think it used Pharrel Williams voice and kept repeating the word "happy.")

• smalloldhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks so much @bbstx! I'm glad he's settled into your home and really appreciate your good advice. I figured he was too good to be true for me! My big challenge is that I need a relatively narrow table to go between 2 dark velvety sofas. The table will sit on a Persian rug that's mostly cream & light colors, so I don't want something too dark - but bright white won't work either. I'll probably post a new thread once the sofas arrive on Friday.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

small, have you looked at the slim cocktail table at Room & Board ? It comes in an array of colors and can be had in a 36 long x 12 wide x 16 high version?

• prettybluehouse
    9 years ago

Thanks bbstx! I did get the watermelon and the navy samples. I was holding the watermelon chip, asking my husband if he liked it when I noticed that it was the exact color of his shirt. I guess he does like that color. I like it too- happy is a good word for it. Thanks for the info on the finish and scratching. I'll have to give that some thought.

• smalloldhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks @bbstx - I did look on line but it might be worth a trip to the R&B near my office to see if the taupe is a possibility. I'll know for sure once the sofas are here, but I'm aiming for 20-22" width, which has been a big factor narrowing my options.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

While you are at R&B, check out their "By the Inch" offerings. Colors are pretty limited, but you can get precisely the size you want.

My experience with Blu Dot is that they are very nice and helpful. Give them a call and see if the Strut can be made in a matte finish. Or tell them the size you need and see what they have to offer.

I bought my Strut from All+Modern. They were very nice too. I can't remember exactly why I went with A+M, either their return policy or their shipping price. Check out their website and see if they have anything to suit. Here's a 22" wide coffee table at All+Modern. If you can push it to 26" wide, check out this one. Good luck to you! (One of these days I'm going to learn how to post pictures.)