Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amck2

Stressless Recliners - Can We Discuss

amck2
9 years ago

Years ago we stayed in an upscale condo that had one. I hadn't heard of the brand and thought it looked ugly and dated. DH raved about how comfortable it was.

Fast forward to now when our main floor will be reconfigured due to a kitchen remodel. I'm not sure this style can work in our transitional/traditional home. Do any of you own one and do you think they are worth the cost?

Would love to know your impressions and/or experience with this line.

Comments (32)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I'm not a fan of the Stressless look. I've seen modern looking recliners (incl LaZBoy) that I really like. I think recliners with integrated footrests are the most wonderful things and I would like to have some.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We're thinking of replacing a sofa/rocker/chair & ottoman with 2 comfortable chairs and tea height table. This is for the area adjacent to our kitchen and off the LR in our open plan main floor.

We want chairs we'll actually want to sit in to relax, chat, read or watch TV. DH is done with furniture that only looks nice but isn't comfortable. Must be my age, but I'm inclined to agree. But I do care about appearance, which is why I'm posting for guidance.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Several years ago I sat in one and I too thought they were very comfortable. I have not been in one since but when I look at them now I notice the seat slants back and I (actually my back) prefers more of a bench seat. I understand your concern for appearance but if it is still comfortable I would go with function.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

peacamp, thanks for providing the link. I am intrigued as this brand is new to me. Can you tell me which style you have?

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

I want to buy this type for my DH, but we don't have funds or space. :-P

Here is a link that might be useful: zero G

• Patty C
    9 years ago

I have the Verona 295 in Trend/Sand, which is a very soft, buttery leather. Almost 3 years and 3 cats later both chairs still look perfect. It looks just like the one on the IMG website.

Here is a link that might be useful: IMG Verona

• evenshade
    9 years ago

I like the idea of these chairs, but why are they so pricey.....proprietary design?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I bought an H & M power recliner last year and it is a very traditional look. I also have two older BY recliners (not power models) that look like a regular wing chairs. All three of them are very comfy. You don't have to go modern or contemporary to get an extremely comfortable recliner.

This pic is of my BY recliners.

• Patty C
    9 years ago

I have no idea, but we also priced lazy boy recliners with the same features (leather, power, etc) and if I recall correctly, the lazy boy came out to be about the same or slightly more.

You can reduce the price significantly by going without the power option, and choosing a less expensive fabric.

I'd see if you can find a local furniture store that carries them so you can try them out and see the fabric samples.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

This is a pic of the H & M chair. I think the Stressless looks very comfortable but you do have options if your not sure the style works for you.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

DH has a Stressless. He bought it for his office without asking me. It is his chair and he sits in it almost every day. I admit it is very comfortable, has nice leather, and has held up very nicely. Looks brand new after 5 years or so, not that he is hard on it. They actually come in sizes, so you want to make sure you get one with the right frame size for your body size.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

If I didn't prefer a double recliner, we like to snuggle, I'd go for a pair of these in a heartbeat.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

My husband has one also. It is leather and not as modern looking as the one above. It is in in our sunroom, which we use more like a den - daily. He loves to sit (and sleep) in it and finds it very comfy. I like it fine but I am really to short for it. I am not a recliner person and like the ottoman our stressless has rather than at att'd foot rest.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

We love our leather recliners, we got ours at the La-Z-Boy store. Two recliners and matching reclining sofa. Extremely comfortable. We also have two leather Barcalounger recliners, well built too but not quite as comfortable as the La-Z-Boy. We had two La-Z-Boy recliners we gave to my husband's parents years ago as a gift and they are still in use today.

I would really like to replace the ones in our RV with the Stressless type. They have to be a smaller size chair for in there.
    We decided some time ago that at this point in our lives comfortable is number one priority.

We did have some recliners and reclining sectional by Lane, I would never buy that brand again, everything had problems from the delivery date. Terrible quality. Really sub par.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Just, I love the chair you posted!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Tina, I don't know what size your DH bought, but there are (or used to be) 3 sizes in the Stressless. My DH bought the mid-size which is the most popular. There is a smaller size for more petite folks that you might prefer if you are looking for one for yourself. You should go to the store and try it. The third is an oversize.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Thanks out! I'm not looking for one for myself. I've already claimed the loveseat in that room as my spot! LOL

• Patty C
    9 years ago

I absolutely love the orange leather chair!

Also remembered that my sister bought the Easton recliner at Arhaus and she loves it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Easton recliner

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Holly-Kay & Peacamp, I had no clue there were such stylish two piece recliners out there until I did a quick search for Stressless. It has a bit of a MCM feel to it, is the reason I love it so much. I even love the color! Of course I'd choose a more down to earth color if I were to purchase any, but gosh, it's pretty!

This post was edited by justgotabme on Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 13:18

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

I love the Hancock and Moore chairs and sofas and was all ready to go except that I need two reclining chairs for my great room. Each chair was going to be $2678 plus tax and delivery so somewhere in the $5400 range for two which was a bit out of my comfort zone. Too bad because I loved the reclining chair and ended up with a couple of less expensive ones with hideous fabric that I am having removed and then reupholstered. But even with doing that it fell well below the cost of two H&M recliners. I'm sure you get what you pay for but sometimes you don't need the very best for the application it's being used for. Except for the awful fabric on the ones I ended up with the style is quite comparable to the HM chair. I got them on closeout probably because of the hideous fabric. They look a lot like the chair pictured above in holly-kay's photo but not nearly the quality ~which btw that chair is fabulous.

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

I've had a Stressless Ambasador for almost ten years. It has been very comfortable and still looks very good. I wouldn't like to be without this chair. Part of the reason they are expensive is they are price controlled by the company.

• amck2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the posts and photos. The closest Stressless retailer is nearly an hour away, but I'm going to plan a trip to test drive. I'll probably do this without DH. If he sits in one and it's heaven, it will be hard to talk him into anything else, lol.

Same retailer also carries BY recliners, so I'll try those, too. I really like holly-kay's H & M chair with the nailhead trim.

My DS & DIL have lived in Denmark for several years where people are crazy for chairs and pay very hefty sums for them - they get passed from generation to generation. That's probably what has changed my outlook on the importance of a good, comfortable chair. I'm willing to pay for quality construction, but not for just a brand name.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    9 years ago

DH is on his second Stressless. He spends many hours in it (I think it responsible for his 30lb weight gain).

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Amck, I agree! I have heard nothing but rave reviews on Stressless and I love a great MCM style. It definitely is a pass down through the generations quality. I am so excited to see your lovely chair/chairs in place so please post pics when they are in place.

Just, I love that beautiful tangerine color also. I think it makes the chair incredibly gorgeous! I am a sucker for orange. I don't know why because it used to be a color I hated.

Gr8day. The H & M was more than I thought I would ever pay for furniture. When we went to the Keeping Room it was for DH to try out a different H & M sofa. He wasn't impressed. Then he saw the Teton sofa and fell in love. He usually doesn't care a whit about furniture so I caved. I wasn't really looking for a recliner but fell in love with the one I made the mistake of sitting in so we ordered it. I also made the mistake of sitting in another chair while we were there and couldn't get it out of my mind. Several months later I contacted Duane again and asked if he still had that chair, when he said yes I arranged to have it delivered.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Holly-Kay, actually the orange could now go in our Gentleman's Parlor if we had room for it. I made a couple changes in accessories adding some orange. I'm loving it!

• PRO
    carol almond photography
    4 years ago

I live in a modern townhouse in uptown and own two stressless recliners. The best buy we have ever made. So comfortable and recline in any position so you can sit up to use your computer.

• Laura Gillanders
    3 years ago

I just purchased an IMG Nordic with Ottoman. Similar style to the Stressless. The salesperson tried to warn me that the IMG didn't have enough padding to be comfortable for long periods of time. I sat in both the Stressless and IMG in the store for a long time but it didn't feel like the Stressless was worth $1100.00 more. Now I'm in this IMG and my back hurts and my head is throbbing from a chemical smell. I'm really thinking I screwed up.

• shuffles_gw
    3 years ago

Our Stressless has been very comfortable. The problem is the leather on the arms began to come apart after 13 years. It turns out the leather is very thin. For the price paid I would have expected better quality. We have a leather sofa from Hickory, NC that is almost 30 years old and looks like almost new. It was made with quality, thick leather.

• Frank McGuire
    3 years ago

Why do you pay attention to leather only? Sometimes fleece is better. This model, for example

• Laura Gillanders
    3 years ago

I agree with you Frank, other fabrics can be more comfortable. The store that carries all the IMG and Stressless recliners that I shop at only carry and stock leather for some reason. I'm sure fabric could be special ordered but they said all special orders would be many many months. I didn't update my initial comment but I ended up exchanging the IMG for the Stressless Admiral in Paloma Light Gray and I really like it. It's very comfortable and has no offensive odour.

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

"Frank McGuire" is a frequent spammer. Please flag his spam. You can find other examples of his spam and flag those, too.

https://www.houzz.com/activities/user/webuser_872178507/comments