Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me pick a light for my dining room?

Posted by cottonpenny (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 15:34

Attached new photos of my grandmother's dining set that I will be getting (these pics are taken in her house - she is not a hoarder, just in the process of moving). My dining room has a large south facing window. The floor will be natural cherry and the walls are BM Chelsea Gray with BM Simply White wainscotting and crown molding. I don't have anything else picked for the room. Eventually I would like a rug and to reupholster the chairs.

I think I want black cause my foyer light is black. I like a modern feel, but I'm not really into crystal or sparkle. I put a few I liked but I'm open to suggestions! Thanks!

Here's an in process photo of the room. The walls look less dark in person. It's about 15'x15'.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Here's the furniture:

Foyer light:

I liked this from West Elm but maybe too modern?

Liked this at Ballard but is bronze colored, not black, and maybe too rustic, since the table is more tailored?

I also like this Pottery Barn one. Can't tell the color but might be black.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me pick a light for my dining room?

Love that paint color! Out of the ones you've chosen, I like the last one (the Pottery Barn one) the best. The first one is a bit too rustic for the traditional furniture and while I like the West Elm one, it doesn't seem to match the style of the room.

o

Of what you posted, I prefer the Pottery Barn one. I was attracted to your last image because it has some sparkle that would look nice against your dark walls, but something seems not quite right in the overall design of the fixture.

o

Cotton Penney, While I like your choices, I'm not sure I like any of those options with the furniture. What I do like, a lot, is the furniture! I remember you posting about taking it or not, and I think it's gorgeous...lucky you!

I even like the upholstery, though I understand you want to change it. It's very good-looking and easy enough to live with for a while until you get exactly what you have in mind. What beautiful colors!

Sorry I can't help more with the lighting, but you'll get tons of feedback that will point you in the right direction, I am sure.

(The little peek you gave us of your house tells me it is looking beautiful too, btw.)

o

pipdog and mjlb - thanks!

stinky-gardner - thans for the compliments! I'm hoping someone chimes in with some suggestions cause I keep picking fixtures then putting them next to the pics of the furniture and not liking the combo.

Like this one I love too, but still too modern I think?

o

How about something like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Portfolio 4-Light Breton Mills Distressed Black Chandelier

o

I don't think you must go with black simply because your foyer light is black. Don't know how you feel about silvery tones, but I think this is nice-looking. It's a modern twist on traditional.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shades of Light fixture

o

Hubbardton forge simply sweep?

Or too simple?

o

Too much bling (see below)? Or how about this:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Chrome-and-Black-6-light-Crystal-Chandelier/4127714/product.html

Here is a link that might be useful: chandelier

o

You seem to be favoring a candelabra type of chandelier?

I wonder if the reason you aren't liking them is because the black is to stark with the furniture. I agree with stinky that it doesn't have to be black just because foyer is.

So many lights to choose from. Sometimes too many options is not a good thing! =)

o

I too think that black is too harsh with the furniture and natural cherry floors. Black may work in your foyer because of other colours or accessories in the foyer that you haven't carried through into here.

People often wonder about mixing metals - remember that the unifying factor is that they are metals and so yes the type can be mixed.

I'd like to see a ORB and maybe look at something that picks up the geometric corner shaping in the cabinet doors. I'm not saying to go that way but look at it as an option inside of something curved or swooping. Look at it just for comparison purposes.

o

I too think that black is too harsh with the furniture and natural cherry floors. Black may work in your foyer because of other colours or accessories in the foyer that you haven't carried through into here.

People often wonder about mixing metals - remember that the unifying factor is that they are metals and so yes the type can be mixed.

I'd like to see a ORB and maybe look at something that picks up the geometric corner shaping in the cabinet doors. I'm not saying to go that way but look at it as an option inside of something curved or swooping. Look at it just for comparison purposes.

o

Blf said what I've been thinking..."something that picks up the geometric corner shaping in the cabinet doors." I think that would be ideal...some sharp geometric lines that echo that motif.

I like the idea of ORB or brushed nickel for the *foyer* light actually. Black, even in there, seems too harsh. I personally see something silvery (though with a muted finish) in the dining room for a little "bling" since you want to keep shapes simple and clean (I agree that's a good idea.)

You may just have a preference for the black finish, and if that's what you really want, you should go for it.

Just thoughts & opinions, fwiw!

o

I keep reading this thread title as "Help me pick a fight for my dining room?"

And every time, I think, sure! I'm always up for a good decorating fight!"

Sorry, carry on...

o

Perhaps a dash of silver of sparkle?

Here is a link that might be useful: bellacor -- silver chandelier

o
RE: 2 Help me pick a light for my dining room?

Perhaps this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: bellacor.com -- black no sparkle modern

o

I know as I've been looking for a dining room light fixture, in addition to the finish, the most challenging thing is also to find the right size. Here's what a designer recently told me were the 3 things to consider when choosing the size:

1) Add the 2 room sides together to get an approximation of the size diameter to look for.

2) The height of the room will affect the size, with a higher ceiling allowing for a greater diameter .

3) The size of your table should be considered. He said the light should be about 1 ft in from the edge of the table to avoid hitting your head as you get up; however, if the table is narrow, and the fixture needs to be larger because of the room size, then the light can be raised a bit higher than the usual position.

Hope this helps! Some lovely fixtures suggested here--just make sure the size works.

o

Since a few of your choices leaned modern, what about something like this? It comes in both a bronze (which I like) or a silver finish, as well as a larger size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pencil chandelier

o

You have so much dark stuff going on I definitely think you need some sparkle and something that can give you lots of light. Here are some choices from shades of Light:
http://www.shadesoflight.com/square-wire-lattice-geo-semi-flush_pendant-4-lt.html
http://www.shadesoflight.com/dripping-crystal-shade-chandelier-medium-2-colors.html
http://www.shadesoflight.com/modern-murano-style-glass-chandelier.html
http://www.shadesoflight.com/modern-glam-shaded-crystal-chandelier-5-light-2-finishes.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Crystal shade chandelier

o

another option

Here is a link that might be useful: Murano glass chandelier

o

Option #3

Here is a link that might be useful: Crystal shade chandelier #2

o

Option #4

Here is a link that might be useful: Geo lattice shade chandelier

o

I really like the Pottery Barn fixture because it picks up the dentil molding in your buffet, goes with the traditional style of your furniture but with a modern flair, and adds a bit of unexpected sparkle. Having said all that, it really bugs me that the candlecovers are so short -- barely taller than the lightbulps.

So I guess that's no help!

o

Your furniture is French so I think you need a pretty traditional French style chandelier or a slightly updated version of one. Look at Nicolette on this page for shape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Currey and Co

o

Really, palimpset? Ugh :-(

o

That's what the correct shape is, not necessarily the finish or beading.

o

Yuck.

What about the Ballard one above that's sort of the same shape?

o

How are you reupholstering the chairs? You may be able to go a bit modern, but that furniture is so traditional that I don't think anything I've seen so far does it any favors--they either look too glitzy, or cheap compared to the furniture. On their own they are fine, and on it's own the furniture is fine, but not really together. You may want to do something really plain like a large white drum shade and leave at that.

o

I like the Murano one that awhsum posted. Its traditional and the glass gives it a modern flare.

o

I don't know yet - I may let my son get a little older before I do that since the fabric is in very good shape for 43 year old fabric. And I think I'd like something light colored maybe?

A white drum shade strikes me as really modern, no? I thought a plainish chandelier would sort of disappear.

The furniture is very traditional but I want the room to be as modern as possible with that furniture, I guess.

o

I like these from the Currey site:

I also like palimpsest's pick. ;)

o

Terriks - I like that first one. But it's kind of pricey and it's only 26" long...I think I need longer for my 9' ceiling.

o

This one from Lamps Plus is nice.
White Four Light 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier

Photobucket

o

How about something like this.... traditional and yet modern graceful lines...

though this one may be too small...

o

Decisions, decisions! You've certainly been presented with an array of options, CP! Good luck choosing! (Again, your furniture is amazing. I could stare at that china cabinet for hours. I'd be no help unpacking boxes at your house..."Stinky, move! Stop staring at my china cabinet and put some stuff away...now!" Hee, hee.

o

Something like this? Scroll down to the picture with the traditional blue chairs. Very much like Awshum's first picture. It combines a traditional chandelier with a modern drum shade.

o

Stinky - you're so sweet! I really like the hutch too. I'm less crazy about the chairs cause they are so so traditional. But I can see the hutch looking sort of modern with some more contemporary dishes and less cluttered inside (sorry, grammie!)

Nosoccermom - I do like those type of lights with the drum shade and the chandelier. I think Beekeeperswife had one similar in her old house. It seems to work in that photo in your link. I worry it's trendy, but maybe if I found one I didn't have to spend a lot of money on, I could just buy it and plan on replacing it if I get sick of it.

That's usually what I do when I can't make up my mind is buy something trendy and cheap, then replace later. Sorry, palimpset...

Now question on sizes - the room is 15'x15'...so the rule is that the light should be ~30" wide. But the table is only 46" wide, and I read another rule that there should be 12" of distance between the edge of the table and the edge of the light. So that would mean only a 22" light? Should I aim somewhere in between?

o

hi cottonpenny, he is my two cents worth:

1) i love the color palette you have selected the dark gray with white will look great with the rich wood table and hutch. i agree with you that you could modernize the chairs (helping to limit the overload of wood) - perhaps a coat of white paint and some new upholstery in a strip or damask that uses a gray and/or white along with your accent color (will you go yellow or blue?)
2) to help tie the modern color palette with the more traditional furniture pieces, i like the simple drum pendant chandelier options that people have been suggesting. using a simple textured fabric (in white) will be a sophisticated solution. just make sure it has a diffuser to stop glare.
3) on the "rules" for sizing i attach a link to a post on this issue (i get asked this a lot), but based on your numbers above the 46" table can take a 34" diameter fixture (the rule is table width less 12" total). remember this is just a starting point and as they say in pirates of the caribbean more of a "guideline"! i actually like bigger (for impact) but i would start there since here i think the fixture is more part of your overall cool scheme than the one wow moment.

hope that helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: dining room lighting tips

o

Overstock has good prices on their lamps, e.g.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Chrome-and-Cream-6-light-Crystal-Chandelier/4127713/product.html
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Crystal-Chrome-3-light-Chandelier/4268146/product.html

o

I found a bunch on Overstock that might work, and at very good prices!

This is a nice mix of rustic and bling:

I like the classic simplicity of this one:

This one is pretty spendy, but I thought would be nice over a rectuangular table:

o

What do you guys think of this one? It's only 26" wide so maybe a little small...but it's $199, which at that price I can use it til I really find something I love to spend $$ on.

o

Well, it doesn't seem like YOU, based on what you've shown us and told us. You said you didn't want bling or crystals, and it has oodles of both. It seems too frou frou for you, imo...unless you really do like it, and have had a change of heart since the thread started about your style.

I think there are two ways you can go about choosing a chandelier. Echo the style of the dining room or contrast with it dramatically. You seem to want clean lines and "modern." I think that could work, if you make it intentional.

You mentioned you have simple china and what's going to going on in the cabinet will not look frilly. I think that's important too. When you set your table, the frilly fixture will seem out of place.

I'd hate to see you get something dripping with crystals that looks ultra-feminine, when what you want is simple (But elegant) and crisp and modern. Sorry if I rained on your parade.

o

This one kind of repeats the squared off mouldings on the furniture. You may not like it all...that's cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: From Lowes

o

This one has the shape you liked in one of the earlier choices, but doesn't take itself too seriously. It could be a charming look combining the traditional shape with the capiz shell.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard's Alessandra fixture

o

Cotton penny, of all those lights pictured here I think the simple, cool black one from Pottery Barn is your best choice. It is unusual, interesting, and doesn't look like it came from a hardware store. Also, I think the shape gives some relief and counterpoint to all the angularity of the detail on the furniture. It also incorporates a bit of the dentil molding look and has that great touch of luxe.

I like your granny's furniture and can't wait to see it all in the room. Understand completely about wanting to wait until your child is older before you reupholster, but remember that you can use scotch guard. And in our house I think our boys were tidier at the table when they were tots!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here