Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

how much purple on my front door?

kam76
9 years ago

my house is painted Sherwin Williams svelte sage. The trim is Sherwin Williams muslin. I am going to paint the door Sherwin Williams expressive plum- paint chip in this picture. I am just wondering if I should paint the transom and the side lights in expressive plum or the trim color. What do you guys think?

Comments (30)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd do just the door in the plum and the rest in the Muslin. Best to start with just the door anyway, and then, if you decide it doesn't look right, you can always do the rest. But it's harder to do it other way around.

• teacats
    9 years ago

A vote to do the whole door, windows and transom -- and add a large black iron door knocker -- just below the door window .....

• Olychick
    9 years ago

What great colors!

I would do it like this:

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Love your color choices and the door style! Just start with the door and see what that looks like.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

ooh, i like Olychick's.

• kam76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Olychick do you live in Olympia, WA? I do.
    Tibbrix, I have to say BM vintage charm was a close runner up for the door color. I think you were the one that liked that color....

I love the pic of green door with the shutters. Unfortunately, I do not have any shutters and the purple door will be the only purple on the house...so I am not sure if that makes a difference. I should have been more clear, a painter is doing this not me and while he is very good painter at a good price he does not like changes mid stream. I am thinking if I have him to just the front door I could always do the sidelights myself. It is just hard to know.

My photoshop skills suck but here is just front door....

• kam76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and here is with sidelights in expressive plum too.

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

It would be easier to help if you took a long shot of the house, though I'm pretty sure I like it with the sidelights painted too.

• kam76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a bigger pic of the house. Not the best but what I have on my phone.
    I could try to get a different shot tomorrow if it would help.

• kam76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a bigger pic of the house. Not the best but what I have on my phone.
    I could try to get a different shot tomorrow if it would help.

{{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

What a beautiful home Kam. Thanks for sharing.
    I do still think painting both the door and the sidelights is the way to go. Once you move in adding some purple flowers throughout the landscape will look very pretty too.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Hi! I'm in Oly also! (I know that Olychick lives here.) I'm curious about your painter. DH started painting our house two summers ago and isn't done. He says he's going to work on it and finish this summer, but I have major doubts so I've decided to get a couple quotes to finish the painting. I'd really like to get it done this summer. Would you mind sharing your painter's info? My email is attached to my profile if you'd rather not share it here.

I agree with painting the door and sidelights. That's a great color!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

That house is SO cool! Love it. I hope you'll post finished pics. What a beautiful-looking spot you have.

Yes, I'm the Vintage Charm and Van Courtland blue hound (and chocolate brown!).

I love the rusticity of the dusty purple, but it's also interesting, IMO, because it's a bit different without being absurd or neighbor-cringing.

This morning I'm back to liking just the door being painted! Do just the door, live with it for a while and see if it feels like it needs help, and if so, paint the side window trim. Again, easier to add than to subtract paint!

I think you should also attach a brass kick plate to the door.

• theclose
    9 years ago

I like door/transom/sidelights in purple. It is going to be beautiful!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

You are going to have a lovely home and the "burple" will be gawgjeus with the house color.

I think you can paint it and see it all done in white and neutral (save the purple door) and then decide if you want to spread the purple love to the sidelights and transom or let the door stand alone.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I thought painting just the door made it look too small. But I like the door Tibbrix posted. I'm trying to figure out why it looks good in that photo but not so much on your door, and it could be that the trim around that door is very wide. It gives more framing to the side lights and makes them feel part of the trim. Your side lights can't stand up to the plum door with the narrower trim and makes them feel insignificant. So in your case I'd paint the side lights to match the door.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love that Muslin color next to the plum. It's a tough choice. I'm glad I don't have to make it! Lol.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i think either way might look nice, and would approach it like patricia43 suggested and see if just the door purple looks like enough or too small...
    if you do paint the sidelights and transom too, i would paint the trim purple too... i don't care for the white/trim colored pieces separating the sidelights from the door- it obviosly is a matter of individual tastes because you do see some doors with the trim pieces separating the door and transom painted the different trim color, but i prefer it all one color-especially with darker colors!! then have the molding around door/sidelights painted the trim color.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

breezygirl, I'm sending you the painters I used last, too. I really liked the job they did. Fast, good bid, really thorough and careful with the landscape, etc. They wanted me to be happy and I was.

• kam76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sent breezygirl- let me know if you didn't get it.

• kam76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Decided to go whole hog. Need to get the door handle back on.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

It looks magnificent.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

Love it. Going whole hog was the right decision.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Amazing. Your color choices and combo are perfect! Sooo nice, esp. since purple can be a little scary!

• theclose
    9 years ago

Looks great! So pretty and love that you did sidelights and transom in purple as well. Enjoy!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    9 years ago

I so wouldn't have painted it whole hog. And I would've been TOTALLY wrong. Fantastic!!! Great choice. I need to learn to be bolder. Good for you.

• valmooreinphx
    9 years ago

Beautiful! That color is so pretty, I might have to use it somewhere :)

• Olychick
    9 years ago

Kam76, your photoshopping really nailed it. It looks fabulous!!!

This post was edited by olychick on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 9:05

• rockybird
    9 years ago

Looks great! Cant wait to see pics of the house finished!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Looks wonderful!!! And because you went "whole hog" -- the whole door area looks more cohesive and therefore larger to the viewer's eye! :)

Well done -- and great color choice!!! :)