Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White trim suggestioms!

Posted by nostalgicfarm (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 15:29

Its time to pick trim color!
I painted my living/dining/kitchen a medium-dark grey. (Is is reading a bit blue, but the trim is a bit red now, and there isn't carpet/flooring/furniture in yet)
Bedrooms will be a grey-purple, SW Peppercorn, and a grey-blue.
Ceilings are SW Snowbound.
I want all baseboard/crown/doors the same white.
SW or BM colors
Also, should I stick with semi-gloss or go a Satin? Walls are Eggshell.

Carpet goes in next Tues, so gotta get a decision made and get everything painted soon!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White trim suggestioms!

BM White Dove goes with everything and is the painter's choice for trim around these parts.

o

I am not familiar with Snowbound but it sounds like white:) Shouldn't the crown match the ceiling color? And if the crown is Snowbound wouldn't it follow that the baseboard and window trim would be as well?

My trim is all satin but I must admit that when I see a glossy trim it appeals to me. And I have White Dove throughout. It is a very nice white.

Lots happening, have fun!

o

Semi-gloss is a good choice for trim. Another BM White Dove fan here!

o

Justretired- I don't think trim has to match ceiling. My mom tints her ceiling wilth some of the wall color. The ceilings were rough so I wanted a brighter white.
2 White Dove Fans...wow. is it a bright stark white?
Thanks everyone!

o

I like semi-gloss for trim.

White Dove is a very soft, mellow white, not stark at all.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 20:23

o

BM Simply White in semi-gloss for doors, crown and trim.

I'm also slowly getting all the ceilings repainted to BM Simply White in flat.

o

Our trim is SW Snowbound. Walls are SW White Flour. Architect picked the colors, they all look "white" to me. Good luck!

o

As we enter the house into the living room you can see thru to the family room. Our color choices were BM Silken Blue CSP 670 for the north facing LR and Coventry Gray HC 169 for the south FR. The trim is Mayonnaise OC-85 in Impervo paint. I love the creamy white of the trim.

Mreen

o

Tibbrix-Thank you for the followup. I am scared of a trim color being too white, but want wall colors to pop, so trying to find that perfect match. I will have to get a sample of the dove white, and maybe one more to see what I like.
Chispa-Thanks, I will look at simply white also. It may be too start for me...I had dark wood trim in my last home!
Oaktown- thanks! Our ceilings were really bad, so I choose snowbound to really brighten the space up. In the ceiling paint it is pretty bright white. :)
Mreen-I think I looked at mayonnaise and liked it. Glad to know it is an option against grey walls ;)

o

I did not mean to say that you could not use a white trim with a tinted ceiling. I thought Snowbound was white and was trying to picture 2 different whites next to each other where the ceiling meets the crown. I had this problem with my kitchen cabinets and ceiling being different whites and it has been a problem for me.

Snowbound looks to have a gray cast to it so I am sure White Dove or whatever you chose will look nice. Love your color selections.

JR

o

If you are concerned about brightness I highly recommend the Benjamin Moore website to check out LRV for that color - light reflecting value.
It is a number 1 to 100 from white to black.

It has been invaluable to me since I discovered it. Puts everything in perspective.

Especially if your main colors are medium or rich. Too much contast is at risk.

o

I have charcoal walls in my living room with dove trim. It pops but does not look too stark. I can post a picture if you like, just let me know.

o

yes, check the LRV on each color. That tells you how much light is reflected. the higher the number, the more light is reflected (i.e.: brighter).

White Dove = 84.59

Mayonnaise = 89.99

Simply White = 90.89

SW Snowbound = 83

So, BM Simply White would be the most stark; SW Snowbound the least.

o

I have charcoal walls in my living room with dove trim. It pops but does not look too stark. I can post a picture if you like, just let me know.

o

We used BM Chantilly Lace trim throughout our house last year. Our dining room is Coventry Gray. Love the Chantilly. I wanted white, not too stark but not yellowy either. I was talked out of Simply White due to yellowness. I found this pic on google that compares White Dove, Simply White and Chantilly. I am also attaching a pic of my dining room so you can see Coventry with Chantilly. Good luck! I feel that there is an over focus on the "perfect white". Most people wouldn't be able to tell one white from the other once put on the trim!

photo bm-top-3-whites_zpsa68f4c4b.jpg

photo P8152964_zpsd0314391.jpg

o

I was so flummoxed by undertones and warm and cool and transitions and blah, blah, blah that I did all my trim with sherwin williams white base in semi gloss.

It looks good and helps me to KISS (keep it simple stupid) :)

o

White Dove, semi-gloss - all woodwork:

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 9:45

o

Oh, and as for satin, semi-gloss, etc., I did high gloss and love it. Alternatively, I would do semi-gloss.

o

Thank you everyone!
I calledy BM store and they mixed me up a gallon of white dove in Satin....seems like the best place to start!
Hoping I like it, cause I'm about done painting! :)

o

No yellow in my Simply white. When you look at the 2 photos above you can't tell the difference! They just look like nice bright whites (but not stark).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here