Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Round or Rectangle table for 7' x 8' kitchen space?

Posted by SparklingWater (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 15:28

Driving myself batty with this one trying to outfit son's OLD apartment kitchen, and just know there's a simpler answer out there. So, turning to you all.

Luckily, there is a 7'x 8' clear floor space for a kitchen table separate from the cooking/cab area. That's great. It's going to be used for both eating and some heavy night studying. I can't upload a photo, sorry.

Imagine this 7'x8' rectangular space, viewing away from adjacent cooking area. On the far wall, there is a standard open doorframe that abuts the left wall, then 2' of wall, then same size doored closet. This 8' wall therefore affects table selection by entry into room on left side and the swing of the closet door on the right side. However, there is also a second similar doored closet in this space, on the right wall just before a refrigerator.

Will you give me some thoughts on what might work here? Limit it to 36" round (seats 4), go up 41" round (Ikea Docksta pedestal due to black and white old tile?l), or, for studying spreadability, go rectangle? Chairs should be sturdy, but not too big and clumsy:perhaps 2, with 2 other fold ups or table height stools?

Thanks much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Round or Rectangle table for 7' x 8' kitchen space?

From watching my son's studying over holiday breaks, I'd go with rectangle. It's much easier to line things up just right. I think a rectangle is also more versatile than a round table.

o
RE: Round or Rectangle table for 7' x 8' kitchen space?

oakleyok, that's my thought too. He can spread out more than on a round table (small one at that). Circular is more space saving though.

His bedroom/living room is 10' x 8' with NO closet. Ha! He may want a desk in there but with bed and maybe tv/playstation chair that 80sf gets used up fast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here