Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sara101101

Do you all follow decoration rules?

Sara_in_philly
12 years ago

The long side of my living room has a 88" wide wall sandwiched between 2 windows, a 85" sofa is placed against that wall. From all I read about decoration rules, that 85" sofa requires a wall deco at least 2/3 of the sofa width, which is 57" in my case.

I am having a very hard time to find a right-sized wall hanging for that wall.

Recently I bought 2 vertical museum art poster and hoping to group them together and fill that wall. Unfortunately the grouping at most can occupy 48" wide of the wall, it's still not wide enough if one follows the rule of 2/3 (of sofa).

My husband is convinced that people just discard that rule because it's too hard to find a (or a couple of) wall deco that big.

As for me, I don't know what to think. I am still in shock by the cost estimate of framing a poster (nicely): 10 time or more of the poster cost! I know it's going to be expensive, just didn't know it's that expensive.

85" sofa is a standard size, what do you all do with wall deco for a sofa that size? Do you all follow the rule of 2/3?

Please tell me what you think.

By the way, since that's the main wall of the living room, I am reluctant to go the route of grouping many small decos to fill the space.

Comments (24)

• User
    12 years ago

there are some "rules of thumb" I like to follow, only because they really do make a room more appeasing to the eye and but then there's other "rules of thumb" I don't care anything about. That said, I also believe there is always a way to work around something to get it right. In your situation, I would look for a few to several art pieces to hang instead and make a grouping. I like using groups in odd numbers (as a rule of thumb) because it does offer a nice balance.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    12 years ago

Never heard of the "2/3 of sofa" rule... so I never followed it!

And I personally would not like just two things on a wall that large...

• djsaw
    12 years ago

I don't follow the rules either except for the odd # groupings. If you just want 1 piece of art on the wall then play around with some masking or painters tape and see what the smallest size is that you could live with and what the largest is then search for art with in those parameters. My preference would be a grouping of art instead of just 1 piece. Trust your gut and go with what you both love.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I do follow a 2/3 rule in many design decisions as far as relative distances of objects or proportions as that seems to yield a most pleasing result. I also follow the odd number of objects groupings in many cases as well. However, that object (in your case deco) does not need to be a single object, but as you mentioned could be a grouping of objects that roughly meet that criteria. However, I would not just consider the length of the sofa when deciding what to place above, but how any WTs to either side factor into the picture (as it does have an impact on the overall scheme).

That said, art is very personal and you should put art in your home because it speaks to you, not because of any design rule or color scheme. To create more of an impact, framing and mating of the art can also be used. Or the art could have two identical items to either side. This could be a pair of sconces, wall vases, or set of decorative plates.

So, while there are no fast and set rules of design that I follow, I do strive for balance in my decorating and to use items that make my heart sing.

• work_in_progress_08
    12 years ago

Don't follow most rules:) How about a pic of the sofa/space? You may get some great ideas!

• wwwonderwhiskers
    12 years ago

Gee, where do you'all find these "Rules"? I would at least be interested to review.....

I would imagine that something like that would look appealing. And I would also imagine that it doesn't have to be a single item, but that it could be a grouping or mass - and that mass could take up 2/3 - does that make sense?

Just my thoughts as a Liberal-Arts-Gone-Geek GW'er....

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I think the general rule of 1/3--2/3 which applies to other decorating proportions as well is a good "rule of thumb" but I don't think it needs to be followed that strictly. Its a general idea of what often works well, but it doesn't always have to be the case. I've seen pieces 20% the width of the sofa and 100% the width of the sofa work great too, it depends on the piece.

If the pieces work well over the sofa and you like them use your instincts rather than trying to adhere to a rule.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

I'm very much a rule follower in life, but when it comes to creativity in our home, all rules are out the door. I much prefer following the "rules were meant to be broken" sort of style. Though I do seem to follow some of the rules it's not because I knew them and followed them it's more because I just did them naturally and they worked later finding out it was a "rule".
    That being said, do what you think will look the best in your home and as Val said, make your heart sing. Before you spend the money on framing why not post some photos of you home and the art. If they are straight on some of us could make virtuals for you to see for yourself what might work best for you.

• Sara_in_philly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all for your replies!

Boy, follow the 2/3 rule is hard enough, now I have to consider the odd number grouping rule:-(. But it does make sense when you think about it.

For those of you questioning the 2/3 rule, you can just google "the right size art for a sofa/wall",you will find it. I didn't make up the rule, really :-)

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I've never bought art because I needed to fill a wall. Over time I'd end up either buying something I just had to have, or was given gifts of prints, stitchings, etc.

I had a long wall too, and I started with one medium/large picture above the sofa. A few years later the wall was filled with all sorts of prints and such, which ended up extending beyond the sofa on each side. I loved it!

As far as "rules," I'm with others, odd number of groupings, unless it's a large picture wall, and one rule I use is to always hang the first picture at eye level, give or take a few inches in height.

Other than that, I'm not one to follow rules, which is why my living room is slowly but surely becoming "layered." lol

I'd love to see a picture of your room!

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

I wouldn't spend money on a large artwork just because it fits the size dictated by this type of guideline. You should buy art that you love, and the suggestion to make a gallery-style grouping of pieces is a good one.
    An alternative to expensive framing is to find a fabric in a graphic print or design that you like, and use it to cover a large artist's canvas. Or, you can buy stretchers and make your own frame to fasten the fabric to, making either one large or two or three smaller panels. It's a cheap way to add color and pattern. A search for fabric wall decorations should turn up some instructions and pictures to use as a guide.

That said, I think the 2/3 rule is meant to result in pleasing proportions, but I use my eye to tell me whether something looks right or not. Many people use too small artwork that is hung much to high on the wall, and for them, this sort of guideline is probably helpful.

• stolenidentity
    12 years ago

Rules are for folks who can't imagine, or decide, or have no ideas. I never follow them, they change faster than they are published. Who makes these ever changing rules anyhow?

I think you should put something that you LOVE in that space and enjoy it!

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Decorating rules are simplified versions of decorating principles such as scale, proportion, balance, and color harmony. Some people understand and can put these principles to work instinctively.

Those of us born without the decorating gene can save a lot of time and money in avoiding mistakes by understanding the rules and why they apply.

Think about the times you have walked into someone's house and have seen a postage stamp size picture above a sofa and hanging near the ceiling. Getting the right size picture above the sofa and getting it placed on the wall at the right height is an excellent example of using "the rules" to help you.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Graywings, I agree with you- "Decorating rules are simplified versions of principles such as scale, proportion, balance and color harmony". Very well said.

The rules don't have to be followed at all, or followed rigidly (of course). They're not just made up by cranky experts demanding that you do what they say.

The rules are meant to help you!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I meant to include "Some people understand and can put these principles to work instinctively" when I was quoting Graywings.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

If you are having a difficult time finding a large format piece that you like, consider doing a wallpaper mural instead. You could cover the entire wall with a depiction of a bunch of grapes and a wine glass, or a scenic view of a mountain or a copy of a fine art piece. Or you could have the mural done in a more traditional print size and frame around it on the wall with picture frame molding. I've hung an old window (with a curtain rod and curtains mounted as well) on a wall over a mural so it looked like a window into Fairyland or a view of the beach. Lots of options exist for creativity.

I'll tell my secret fave place to find custom murals, but you'll hate me because you'll spend hours looking at options. Americanblinds. com has a custom mural application that lets you choose images from the thousands at Fotolia. Or you can choose from stock graphics and customize the color. Or you can upload your own images if you want a large size portrait of the family cat etc. It's frankly so addictive that I hesitate to pull anyone else into the vortex!

Here is a link that might be useful: Create your own mural or wallpaper

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

There is a lot to be said for the rules of math in design. Such as the Golden ratio:

So yes there are rules regarding balance and proportion as other gw's have noted. Rules with some wiggle in them though.

I spent waaay to long reading a wiki article about it. This little tidbit was fascinating...

....concluded that the golden ratio underlies the clock cycle of brain waves.

Maybe this response should go under ttodd's geek thread:)

Here is a link that might be useful: It's Golden!

• susieq07
    12 years ago

What Rules? LOL Do what you like! Who lives there?

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

Well, Susieq, maybe you are one of those who instinctively understand scale, proportion, balance, and color harmony.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I can't follow rules at all, I didn't know for years there were rules but instinct has been fine for me although I love reading the rules, which I frequently see disregarded particularly in the high end mags.

Now, involving math, eek! Nothing like a's and b's to take the joy out of accessory placement.

I think that the rules were created for those without a natural talent in decorating (spacial planning, visualization, color, etc.). That might offend someone, but it's the same in art: those who want the step by step approach opposed to those who just do it (and do it well).
    Like anything, really. Mozart vs. Salieri.

• lazy_gardens
    12 years ago

Rules?

Design has RULES? And what's the penalty for breaking them?

• graywings123
    12 years ago

Possibly a house lacking scale, proportion, balance and color harmony.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I find people who claim there are *no rules -- dogmatic.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

What deedee99 said.... As soon as I read about your sofa and art dimensions, I thought of the golden ratio. Two-thirds gives you that ratio, more or less. Hence, the "rule." But you can have one piece of art, two pieces, three....one piece and two sconces, one piece and two whatevers. The idea is to place a thing or things of roughly the "right" dimensions. When your dimensions result in a golden ratio, things seem aesthetically pleasing. palimpsest's point about art of other dimensions working -- if your furniture + art combo gives you a golden ratio it should, in theory, always work, whereas breaking the rule may or may not work.