Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbarstow_gw

H E L P -- pink bathroom tile

mbarstow
12 years ago

When we remodeled our kitchen, I couldn't have done it without this forum. I hope I can get some feedback again on my latest project.

We have a fairly large, pale pink tiled master bathroom. Having just remodeled our kitchen, I can't face another remodel job now. I want to change the vanity, & take out the custom-made linen closet (from the mid-50's) There is a shower stall-no tub. The floor is tiled in a bluish grey with pink inserts. I don't like the pink, but I am thinking of just working with it. I've used cranberry towels and bath mats and it works really well with the pink tile.

Here's my delima . . . I am replacing the linen closet with a 78'' tall x 21'' wide cabinet, and a 36'' vanity. We are also adding a wall cabinet above the toilet which is set back in an alcove. This cabinet will be 36'' wide x 30'' tall x 6'' deep. I have two questions:

1. What do you think of having these cabinets finished with a cranberry stain or paint?

1. What color granite should I then select for the vanity? Above the tile, I am using a very subtle wallpaper with shades of rose/pink, almost like a toile in style.

Comments (16)

• avadoone
    12 years ago

There is a website devoted to pink bathrooms. They are mostly in a retro style tile but you may see some things that you like. Either way it's kind of fun to look at.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/savethepinkbathrooms/

I really like the way black vanities look with the pink, with chrome.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I think cranberry would look kind of wonderful, actually (I'm filing that idea away for my pinky tan bathroom). A black granite might be pretty nice. You don't want anything too busy, although you can't really go wrong with a honed white marble (Carrara or statuary or something with gray veins).

So...not sure about the counter but cranberry yeah!

• polly929
    12 years ago

I would embrace the pink. But I would not go with cranberry. I'd go with either black or white. I came across this bathroom. I have a very similar bathroom with the 1950s tile, only mine the tile is gray. My curtains are black and white toile. With a white and chrome sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Bathroom

• mjsee
    12 years ago

EMBRACE THE PINK! If it's high-quality and in good shape...just tell everyone you decided to go green and keep a perfectly useable space that had a lot of personality. And do check out the "Save the Pink Bathrooms" blog. It's a lot of fun.

• mbarstow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input. I have seen the "Save the Pink Bathroom" blog. I just wonder if cranberry wood pieces would add some punch that might take my attention away from the pink tile. The walls, floor and shower stall tile is all in great condition, so I can't justify dropping thousands of dollars to satisfy my 2011 taste.
    Hubby is willing to remodel, but we are the only ones who use this bath, and I can't face the mess (or the expense) for the next 3 months or more.

• purrus
    12 years ago

I wish I had a pink vintage bathroom! My vintage bath is white, but has flower tiles in the shower stall that are uglier than sin. I saw one pink bathroom with really classy black/white accents--that's my favorite. I think you have no choice but to embrace it unless you completely start over.

And I know whaty ou mean about getting renovation burnout!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

Have you thought about a charcoal gray? And gray towels? Maybe a pink ceiling too?

Embrace the pink, don't try to hide it whatever you do, it just makes it stand out more.

In my old house I had the Harvest yellow/gold tiles in the batrhoom. I ended up going with lots of sunflower colors, it just made it seem like the tile was on purpose. Kinda.

You can always buy grout colorant to refresh the tile's grout, maybe even make that a gray too?

keep us posted.

• sergeantcuff
    12 years ago

I wish I had some cool old tile. I really like the look of pink tile with white fixtures and black toile. I am not sure about the cranberry - it would "match" but I personally prefer contrast (like dark wood or painted wood- white? grey?)

I was so fatigued after my kitchen reno I haven't accomplished anything since. My bathrooms need serious attention but I just don't find bathrooms very interesting (especially budget ones as mine will be)

• les917
    12 years ago

I would go a medium to deep shade of grey for the cabinetry. A Carrera marble countertop, which would pick up the grey tones, but not limit you in the future when you decide you want to rid yourself of the pink.

• mbarstow
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boy, now I'm really getting confused. The grey sounds so interesting, especially since I saw a wallpaper that had a pen & ink design of Gibson Girl's heads (almost life-size) in greys and black with a touch of cranberry/red for their lipstick. Black and grey towels would fit in nicely. I've got to Google pink and grey bathrooms and see what I can find.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

The mistake people make is trying to "tone down" the pink. All that does is make pink the overwhelming feature. Brightly tiled bathrooms were originally designed to work with equally strong complementary colors and sometimes very complex color schemes. Check out the '50s bathrooms below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gallery of '50s baths

• breenthumb
    12 years ago

Mine is pink tiled half way up, ST&T are still pink and the wallpaper above is grey background with a soft airy print. I use grey, or burgundy towels, but my favorite at the moment is the kind of mauve ones. All of them pick up colors in the paper.

The paper you're thinking about sounds interesting too--more today. Mine's been up a long time. But as far as the cabinets, I'd stay neutral and save the punch for towels and accessories. So much easier to freshen up the look.

• breenthumb
    12 years ago

Marcolo, I was typing while you posted. Wonderful pics. I'm suddenly thankful for my pink bathroom because it is only pink. And the blue one is only blue. Thank goodness they didn't get creative and mix them. LOL:

• summerblue
    12 years ago

Well, my bathroom is pink tiles with blue trim around. A blue tub, sink and toilet! The floor is pink and blue squares! The sink is in an ugly black, marble looking cabinet. I need to paint the walls. I was thinking a very pale blue, very pale. I would love to remodel but have to wait.

• elitefurniture123
    12 years ago

If it's going to be very pale blue might as well use grey. Grey goes very well with pink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aico Furniture

• donnawb
    12 years ago

I had a pink bathroom in the early 80's but the bathroom was from the 50's and I used gray. Every one that went in there loved it.