Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best material for a foyer rug?

Posted by tammyw (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 15:08

We live in S. California, so we don't get a ton of weather. The worst we'd get is a little rain in the winter.

Just wondering what materials would be best for this rug? We will be needing something 5 x 8. Any suggestions for materials that are okay to get a little wet and can be spot cleaned.

Just for clarification, this is for INSIDE our house, just inside the front door.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best material for a foyer rug?

Anything made of polypropylene-- it's a godsend when you have pets for easy cleanup.

This post was edited by chijim on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 15:42

o

Make it a multi colored rug and it will show dirt less. I love polypropylene rugs.

o

Wool oriental?

o

Second nsm wool oriental.

o

Third wool oriental. One of mine is in a back hallway. It's an ancient machine-tied Couristan. It spent two years at DS's college apartment , and when it returned home I washed it on the patio with the hose and dish soap. I may have dried it in the sun! No fading. Poly is great but not as nice as wool for an entry, imo.

o

Wool is the best rug material, IMO and experience.

o

the poly/indoor-outdoor rugs are great for informal entrances, mudrooms, garage…but for a front hall foyer, I'd go with a wool persian if I could afford it.

o

Wool is a work horse and it wears like iron. You will find many beautiful wool rugs that will work in your entry..

o

I love wool as much as the next guy, but it's is $$ to send out and have cleaned.
Also, some people don't have a space or wherewithal to wash outside and let properly dry.

Another thing, they have an odor when wet.

o

We have flatweave Soumaks inside the front and back doors. We go out the front a LOT with our dogs. They are great! You cannot kill these rugs! Mine are by Kalaty, but I have other Soumaks in the house from other companies. The cats can't kill them either. They don't absorb, everything seems to sit on top. Dirt vacuums right up. I will never have any other type of rug as long as we have pets.

o

Would the foyer not look better without the rug? Know some call for them, some not necessarily and no rug can make a foyer seem more spacious, especially when youve nice flooring to show off.

o

i love polypropylene too! super durable, look great and i don't cringe when i watch people wipe their feet on it!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here