Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front Door Paint Color!

Posted by AGing (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 15:05

Hello,
I just purchased this home last year and love it! What I don't love, however, is the exterior trim paint color. There is so much red/brown going on here! Unfortunately repainting all the windows and trim wont be in the budget for a few years.

In the mean time, I would like to paint the front door a different color, but I am stuck on what color will work with such strong red/brown going on everywhere.

I considered doing a dark blue, there are small tiles over the first floor windows that all have blue in them. Would this be too much bold color? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front Door Paint Color!

I'd actually strip it and stain it and seal it with a high-gloss polyurethane. Then, when you get around to it, paint the trim black, which always looks great with brick.

That house is awesome! Congrats!

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 15:27

o

Like tibbrix idea for door a lot. But I'd choose a tan- cream from the brick for the trim. Great looking house!

o

Is your brick mortar gray? What color is the (what appears to be) Greek key? What color is the roof? I know I am full of questions.

I am not sure you want a stained door, but it would be pretty. They are VERY HIGH maintenance. Mine HAS to be redone every 2 years, needs to be redone annually and mine is not totally exposed. Mine is recessed and has an overhang roofline protecting it from the elements and faces west; therefore, it does not get a lot of sunlight or rain for those reasons.

Before you paint it, put a green boxwood wreath on the door to see if that helps cool it off in the summer heat before painting another color.

I do like gray with these houses and creamy beiges. It's a GORGEOUS curb appeal home.

o

Such a pretty house!

Fair warning, I'm in my purple period. Aubergine would be fabulous. You could also go with a teal or a bright yellow, or a cranberry.

o

If you strip and stain, definitely use a marine-grade polyurethane.

o

I think that shades of blues and greens would look great, but I caution you against going too light. On this house a light-colored door is going to be very "Look at MEEEEE!!!!", which only works if you really want the door to be the star (which you might, but that wasn't the impression I got from your post).

I tried a few colors with your pic and liked:

Grays: BM Stonybrook, Brewster Gray, and Sage Gray

Blues: BM Thousand Oceans, Alfresco, Providence Blue and Hamilton Blue

Greens: BM Forest Green, Peale Green, Tarrytown Green, Greenwich Village, Largo Teal (probably the most saturated of the colors that I liked).

o

What a pretty house!! When I first saw it, a blue door came into my vision. Thousand Oceans would look awesome, I think!

o

I hope someone will photoshop some colors for you. This is a great blue with brick...

I love this, too, since you're leaving the trim color as it is....

This is a nice darker blue with brick, but not sure how it will look with the trim you have:

if you have some lighter greens in your landscape, this might be nice:

I can't find a door this color...but I'm not talking about the wood, but the green in the siding. I think it would be my favorite for your house and trim color with all the greens in the garden. A bit darker and more saturated than the green above:

o

I was thinking navy blue when I saw the pic. Lovely home! My friend has a similar colored brick home and she did her shutters/trim in BM Hale Navy. Looks beautiful.

Not sure how it would look just on the door without doing the trim though. Maybe you can try bright and cheery like Annie suggested (teal or bright yellow), and then do navy when you do your trim too.

Good luck!

o

I like the idea of a slate blue trim and door or a gray that reads blue-ish.

Your house is beautiful. You have so many options.

o

I just bought SW Naval to paint the door on muted brick colonial. You should too! :)

o

What a charming, lovely home. I would use navy for the door. When it comes time to do the trim I would probably go with crisp white to contrast with the dark brick.

o

love your house!
i would go with a very dark green (maybe so dark that it's almost black) rather than a navy because of the red trim... don't think i would care for the blue and red mix.
a stained door would look great and you might want to try if you're facing north, tho you don't really have any overhang protection--- the very best of stained finishes won't hold up to south or west exposure....

o

Outstanding house AG! I would do black as it seems that most other colors get lost in the trendiness.
The color that is on the trim and door now are to much the same.
Let any color come from furnishings on that cool front porch?
If you really want to spend some $ have someone wrap your trim in copper and the front door too and let it patina.
Then that color would be appropriate for that house.
Lucky you for that great house.
I'd love to peak inside or see a floorplan!

o

SW black swan

o

SW Fenland

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 10:54

o

SW hunt club

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 10:34

o

SW Indigo

o

SW burgundy

o

Unfortunately sw doesn't carry the aubergine I'm looking for...the closest is concord grape

o

Agree with missymoo re: copper. That would be gorgeous!

However, don't agree with painting the door black. Normally I would, because I love black and brick (being from Boston, I guess!) together. However, that door has so much blank space, windows are so small, that I think it would look like a black hole and rather dreary.

I'm still for sanding and staining it in high gloss, then putting a shiny brass (or copper!) kick plate, knocker and handle on it, and painting the trim either black or doing the copper thing missymoo suggested.

That house has wonderful architectural and masonry detail, and you don't need the door to detract from it.

o

SW Rockwood dark red

o

SW storm cloud

o

And a step on the wild side, sw lemon twist.

I'm doing these with SW color visualizer and so can you if you want to play with more colors....it's free on line.

o

Benjamin Moore Tarrytown Green

o

BM Thousand Oceans

o

BM Largo Teal

o

You didn't say what color the blue is, that is in the tile over the windows. Light, dark, medium, what? I would go with a color that matches what is already there. Especially if it will give you the stand out look that you want. The keys over the windows appear to be a beige color, which I think would really lighten up the color scheme when you do the window frames. The dark color there now makes the windows look so small as they blend in with the brick. Can you photo the blue in the window tiles? It would be a big help, instead of us trying to imagine what it is. Wonderful home!

o

Wow, so many great responses! I will do my best to address all the questions and comments.

I would love to strip and stain it, but my husband tells me it's not in good enough shape for that. (The door is 85 years old after all!) I will reconfirm that though, as a stained door would be beautiful.

The mortar is actually quite yellow in color, not the gray I'm used to seeing. The roof is brown, and yes the front of the house faces South and it gets a lot of sun.

As pointed out by a few of you, the door color could easily become overwhelming, which at this point I don't think I want. There are so many elements to the front, I don't want to take away from everything else.

Missymoo12 I will have to post some pictures of the inside for you, it is amazing! A builder owned it for 20+ years and did some incredible work inside. (After owning it for one year I am still in shock that I get to call it mine!)

Thank you for all the photo shopped images, they are really helping me visualize it! I originally was thinking navy blue, or even darker than navy. I do have to say the thousand oceans posted by cawaps really appeals to me at first glance, I will have to think on that one. The greens do look nice, for some reason I am resisting the green but I might need to allow myself to explore that option after all.

carol, I will take a picture of the tiles over the windows when I get home. They have medium and darker blues in them.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, it's really helping me think this through!

o

As promised, here is the picture of the tiles.

o

Here is the other tile

o

Man, that house is just thoroughly a gem.

I'd really keep the trim and door neutral - black, stain, brown…

Might be cool to, as some point, find more tiles in the same genre as those, keeping them understated, maybe even cement colored like your steps, and put the in on the risers of the front steps.

o

Thank you very much Tibbrix.

I'm leaning more and more towards either a plain brown or an earthy green as I look at pictures.

I love the idea of tiles on the risers! So many options with the house.

If I did brown I could paint the wood railing the same color too (something else I've been struggling to decide.) The porch banister was added about 20 years ago so it would meet code for sale. I am trying to convince my husband we should just take it down altogether but he isn't 100% on board with that idea yet.

o

I love beautiful brick work like you have there. It seems to be a lost art. And those tiles, they are great. I really liked the darker color on the second photo. But, like you say, it may be too overwhelming. How about adding it to the frame work of the door windows? You could also do a double color scheme on all the windows, like the key color and a thin line of the blue. Same with the handrail, add the blue to the edges only, in addition to the key color, beige. Have you ever seen the painted ladies in San Francisco? Spectacular. It would lighten up the look so much and add a little punch. The idea of tile on the risers is a great idea too. Another opportunity. It's a wonderful home, I'd love to see the inside where the builder enhanced it. I'm happy for you.

o

Such a pretty house! A dark emerald green door would look amazing.

o

I would not take the banister down. 1) it sounds like it's code; 2) if you ever have small children there, you'll be taking a big risk. Usual railings are required on porches with drops of 16 inches or something like that.

o

Ah, then my favorite exterior green, put up here a few months ago by another poster (sorry, can't recall who). Such a great, natural brown/green: BM Mountain Moss

o

The blue tiles are lovely...I would suggest you consider a blue to coordinate with it on the front door too, though the deep hunter green is a classic.

o

Have to dissent from Annie here. Best way to bring out the tiles is to downplay the door. That door has so much area to be painted, that any saturated color is going to draw the eye to it and away from the tiles and other incredible details of that house.

Your house has such a woodsy feel to it, 'Hansel & Gretel', gnomes running around…I'd keep it as close to natural as possible (hence staining or the moss green).

o

I'm looking at primarily greens now, this evening I'm going to walk across the street to the hardware store and pick up some paint chips and maybe even a sample or two.

I like the mountain moss tibbrix! It's a nice compromise between brown and green, definitely a contender.

o

Blue to coordinate with the tiles. I feel that adding some of these other random colors will start to divide, rather than conquer your color resolution.

o

Gorgeous house!!! :)

Just love the name of this tone of paint -- Summer Nights! :)

Would LOVE to see this blue in high-gloss on the front door (plus a large black wrought-iron knocker) -- along with some blue flowers in the black planters on the front steps and along the front edge of the garden ....and maybe paint a couple of high-back Adirondack chairs in the same blue ....

Of course -- I adore high-gloss black doors (got one here!)

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Summer Nights #777

o

Just an update for anyone who helped with this dilemma of mine, the door is completely stripped and ready for paint (old paint was bubbled.) Of course it has rained for 3 days straight. As soon as it is done I will be sure to share a picture of the finished product. :)

o

You are an awful tease! Hurry! Love your beautiful exterior. Nothing like it in my neck of the woods. Lucky you !
Soooo: blue, green, red, tan,stained???????

o

Put up a pic of it stripped, before painting!

o

Dark blue or maybe dark teal. I sure wouldn't want to strip that door. I also think some contrast would look neat with all that brown and red.

o

Such a neat and beautiful house! I can't wait to see what you choose, but I think the darker blue or blue-gray would be beautiful and bring out the colors in the tiles. Love the 'burlap and denim' above.

o

Tibbrix here is the door all stripped and sanded ready to go. Sorry the picture is somewhat blurry, I didn't notice until I already uploaded it to my computer.

It's stormy and raining yet again today, I'm hoping it will let up soon so I can get this eyesore painted and looking good again!

o

It's such a nice door. Such a shame it can't be stained. Bummah (Boston for Bummer).

o

Looking forward to seeing the door finished and I really hope that you post more pics, outside and in!

o

Oh how I love your home. Since I can't have Olana Castle on the Hudson can I have yours? No matter what you paint the door it will be stunning. Hoping for a greenish however since you asked. But then I think everything should be green.

o

Here is an in progress, since I am so antsy to share and you all so kindly can't wait to see. :)

I am honestly on the fence about it as of now. We ran out of daylight and couldn't get to the trim around the door so I'm hoping once that is done I will find myself loving it like I had hoped.

o

The door looks wonderful in the twilight. Such a magical looking home!

o

Perfect. When can I move in.

o

That looks great. I love your home. Would love to see pictures of the inside!

o

Great choice, wonderful home!

o

It's a really nice blue. That house is so awesome. Hopefully you need help with the inside so we can see inside pics!

o

I think that blue looks great.
I cannot wait to see it in the sun shine also maybe I missed it but did you share what state or city you are in.
Lovely lovely home

o

That is absolute perfection! I loved the greens but that color looks like it was custom made for your beautiful home. I can't wait for a peek inside!

o

Perfect!

o

LOVE it! Great choice. It's amazing what a difference it makes. What color is it?

o

That looks so good! The color really livens up the house but I can understand your hesitation, each time I have repainted a front door it has taken some time to adjust to the new color. I hope you post some closer shots once the trim is painted.

o

That is just the right choice. Can't wait to see it finished!

o

lyban here it is in the sunshine. It looks like today will be another nice day so we should be able to get the second coat and trim painted this evening!

Tibbrix I do have several indoor projects I want to post on here for help, thought I would wait a bit so i am not posting one after another asking for help. :)

I think the color is starting to grow on me, it's Tempe Star by Sherwin Williams. Thanks for the kind words everyone!

o

Wow. It looks completely different in the sunlight, more like a teal.

o

It does, the color was much darker on the swatch. I was surprised by how much lighter it looks in person.

o

I was struggling so much with picking a color to paint it that hubby said I can have a few attempts at it. (Isn't he great?!) so if I decide to, we can abort this color and make another attempt.

o

If you're torn, why don't you pick, say, three colors, get samples, paint it, and live with each color for three days each, and take pics so you can put them next to each other and compare.

So odd about the color; usually they're darker once painted than lighter.

o

I actually considered taking the can of paint back and having them add a bit more tint just to darken it up a hair without costing me another can of paint. I will have to talk to hubby and see what he thinks of the idea. He says he likes the door color so we shall see.

o

It's a very pretty blue. Not a large area to paint, though, so just suggesting that, if you're torn or unsure, it really wouldn't take much in the way of $ or labor to try out different colors.

If you do, take pics of each, put them up here, and hold a vote!

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Aug 7, 14 at 11:52

o

Yes, it is a pretty color and a good choice, but I agree that adding black would harmonize a bit better. Nonetheless, it is beautiful. Let Hubby be the decider for a while and if you choose, add some black. After he sees what you do, he will like that as well. They generally do.

o

Love your choice of color! Beautiful house, so much charm.

o

Love it! Have you thought about painting the plaque that your house numbers are on? I don't know if it's possible to take off the numbers to do it easily. What do you think? It would really make the house numbers more visible.

o

Alright folks, another change happened today. The hubby came home and said he didn't like the color we had, so we went and got Naval by Sherwin Williams. It is gorgeous! It was really dark by the time we got a picture so it's not the best photo, but tomorrow when the sun is shining I will get a nice picture of the final product.

Outside-I have actually been looking at house numbers to replace the one we have currently, I'm not a fan of the plaque that is there. We are also planning on repainting the mailbox black again and we have to finish removing old caulk from an awning we pulled down from above the door. :)

o

Love it!!! Liked the first one too but really love the Naval. Perfect!

o

The other was great; this is perfect. I am pleased that you are pleased as well. I think you and hubby did a very good job of paint and color choice.

o

Really great. And at night, and esp. when it snows (does it snow where you are?), with a glow coming from the two little windows and the light above next to the brick, it's going to look positively quaint, like something out of a story book.

o

Even better idea about the house numbers, AG. Yes, to the new color! Liked the first one a lot, but you achieved perfection with the second. Glad you and DH are on the same page with all this.

o

Hey, is there a light behind the window to the left of the fron door? If you wired that to light up with the outdoor light and/or the foyer light, that would be amazing at night.

o

Looks great, it goes with the character of your handsome home.

o

That looks great too! Not that you asked for an opinion on the trim, but if it were my house I would paint the trim around the door the same red as the rest of the trim.

o

Ta Da! It got it's second coat today. It just needs some time to cure and we will put the hardware back on.

Thank you so much everyone for your input and suggestions for this, it was so helpful!

Tibbrix the little window is actually in a closet next to the door so I suppose it wouldn't be hard to add a light!

o

Add a light! Add a light! It would be one of those little things that makes a big difference! Electrician should be able to wire it so that it goes on when you turn the outdoor light on.

Man, that house is just the coolest.

o

Tibbrix, I've been meaning to post this for you for awhile now. I know you love a beautiful stained door, so here is the inside of my front door. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here