Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sas95_gw

Suggestions for bedroom paint color?

sas95
9 years ago

I haven't been thrilled with the yellow color in my bedroom since I painted it, but in the interest of not wanting to immediately repaint, I have lived with it. At this point I can justify (to myself) repainting. I had originally wanted a soft creamy color, but... I especially don't like how the cherry furniture looks against the wall.

I was hoping for suggestions on a new color direction that would play nicely with the existing furniture and rug. My initial thoughts are maybe a warm tan or sand color? Or something else?

I'm open to anything but gray. I don't like gray walls at all. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments (49)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Benjamin Moore Guilford Green or Soft Fern. Either would look great with that gorgeous rug and the furniture, but also make the room pop a little.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Soft Fern

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

BM Guilford Green

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

This should be easy. Your furniture looks perfect with the rug you have selected. Just match the beige color that is the background for the border of your rug.

• chispa
    9 years ago

BM Grant Beige will work well with your colors. I have it throughout most of my house.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Yes, Holly-kay. I think the green would make that rug really shine and would compliment her furniture. I think she needs more wood trim to make beige work, i.e.: crown moulding, trim around the door way, etc.

and actually, whether green, beige or periwinkle, adding wood trim would add a lot to the room, IMO.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Thu, Jul 10, 14 at 16:42

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will definitely check all of those possibilities out. I had never considered green, but will look now. Those colors are soft and pretty, Tibbrix.

As for beige, I'll look at Grant Beige as Chispa suggested, and take Beverly's suggestion of looking at beiges pulled from my rug. Truth be told, I'm a little scared of beige. The previous owners of our house had the whole place painted band-aid beige, so I'm always terrified of getting that back!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Grant Beige is supposed to have green undertones, so that would work with cherry. I am interested in it to replace Georgian Green in my LR, on the Guilford Green strip, which reads olive in my room while Guilford Green read minty when I tested it. It sounds like you want a neutral, so I'd check out Grant Beige.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Yes, Grant Beige is a very nice neutral, with greenish undertones. I have some similar colors to OP and the GB looks great with them. I had first painted my house in a yellow/beige and it just wasn't quite right. It also turned sickly green at night. The GB looks great at all times.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I have Guilford Green in my bedroom. It looks nothing like the sample. It's a deeper green with yellow undertone.

I would go with a beige. Some of the popular ones. Shaker Beige, Kilm Beige, Macadamia. Manchester Tan ?

• FSachs
    9 years ago

I like the idea of Grant Beige or some other beige color. Somehow I'm not seeing green.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think a very light gray with a touch of blue would be pretty with both the cherry and the orange rug. Does the rug have some blue in it? I'm not a gray girl either and have mostly warmer tones, but I painted my guest bath BM Silver Mist last year. It is more blue than gray and is a very soft, pretty color. My vanity is dark stained cherry and the granite is cream with bits of taupe and blue/green/gray. I didn't want to go full-out gray because the room is windowless and not tiled, so I felt it needed some color on the walls. Silver Mist was as close as I could get to gray without losing the blue. Actually, I could have gone grayer but had sampled too many paints at that point! You could possibly go a little lighter or grayer depending on your lighting.

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May Flowers, there is no blue in the rug. The other colors in the rug run more into the olive green/khaki area. Even so, I'm not sure that a blue shade would look right in the house because there is absolutely no blue anywhere else in the house. My home is almost all greens, yellows and earth tones. And the adjoining bathroom has beiges and greens. So if I went in the gray direction but wanted some color, I'm thinking that a green/gray could work better.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Oh, the bathroom...no, blue wouldn't work.

I tried to find a neutral beige to paint my hallway that adjoins the Georgian Green and found that they either looked fleshy or muddy putty. Gave up and used SW Antique White, which can read yellow in bright light.

• akl_vdb
    9 years ago

Do you have any blue in the rug to pick up? I have this colour in my bedroom, and love it.

Sorry, disregard my post, I see you don't want blue.
    BM night train.

This post was edited by aklvdb on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 13:41

• Fluffeebiskits1
    9 years ago

SW sand beach or Accessible beige

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Squire Hill Buff by BM would be a great color that would blend the apricot/beige colors of your rug, look nice with your wood and give you some depth in the wall color.

Blond Wood by BM is another very nice color that I think would give your room a little uumph and do well, as far as I can see.

I do not see any green in your room but I know it must be there, but sometimes my monitor colors are not realistic so if your rug actually has a lot of green, I apologize for not seeing but still think this is a good color even with the green.

This post was edited by patricia43 on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 14:42

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for all of the input. I brought home scads of the color strips today including everyone's suggestions, and so far, Grant Beige and Soft Fern seem to be the top 2 contenders. I'm going to get actual paint samples of each tomorrow so I can try them in the room. I really appreciate the advice.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I went to colorjive.com, uploaded one of your photos, and painted the room a Ben Moore Green (they don't have soft fern on the samples, but none are exact and any green on that realm will look the same. I painted it in BM 501 and 502. The green on your walls is really gorgeous, IMO.

I can't seem to find one comparable to Grant Beige. wish I could copy and paste the pic with the green walls, though.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Another I would definitely try is BM November Rain, a VERY subtle, soft, gray green.

• Oakley
    9 years ago

Below is a picture I downloaded from Joss & Main. I'm in love with it! Not sure how the cream will look against your furniture though.

I'm so glad white and cream walls are coming back in style.

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm thinking that the Soft Fern is a strong possibility, but the Grant Beige will look to muddy/blah in the room. It provides no contrast at all with my night stand. Thoughts? Slight tweaks or different direction entirely?

This post was edited by sas95 on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 15:06

• valmooreinphx
    9 years ago

I love the soft fern!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Well, I completely see green with that rug and the cherry furniture, and as I said, I did your room on colorjive with a green, and it was beautiful. The grant beige is a very nice color, but I think it will be blah. I think that, with neutral colors like that, you need trim and crown moulding to really make them work.

JMO, of course.

Do try a sample of the November Rain as well.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Btw, the green with the cherry furniture and that rug evoke autumn, which is why I think it's a great combination!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

"I'm thinking that the Soft Fern is a strong possibility, but the Grant Beige will look to muddy/blah in the room. It provides no contrast at all with my night stand. Thoughts? Slight tweaks or different direction entirely?"

I agree with you. I think many posters are thinking about a deep, dark cherry wood. There are many colors of cherry, and yours is a lighter softer color. It is beautiful. I have a cherry dresser (my Grandma's) and a cherry table (her kitchen table) that are that color (although age has darkened them somewhat) and I think you will need a bit richer color. I think all greens go with woods. I love greens with rich woods and I also love the color of blond wood but that might be too close tot he color of your cherry.

https://www.google.com/search?q=different+colors+of+cherry+wood&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=v5DBU8WfHMnNsQT57oG4Bg&ved=0CFIQ7Ak&biw=1164&bih=578

Twilight gold by BM is another pretty color.

I do like the whitish cream colors with it also but the colors will give you more depth and deeper colors bring out the rich colors of good wood.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Having lived in a green LR/DR for the past 7 or 8 years, I'd want just a hint of green in a bedroom. Too much green and you feel like you're in a frog pond, as a family member so aptly put it. Soft Fern looks like an herbal green, so that should work with the rug colors, but I would look at the next lighter color on the strip. Also look for a barely-there olive green (yellow undertone).

I'd like this olive color with your rug and cherry, though I'd go lighter.

[Craftsman Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/craftsman-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2116) by San Jose Architects & Building Designers Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Colors with some depth, i.e.: the soft fern, are so great in bedrooms at night, when you're reading. They create a nest-like feel. But in the morning, waking up to that soft green I think would be perfect and a great way to "greet the day" as green is such a living color.

People tend to be leery of bolder colors, understandably so (and the soft fern isn't even that bold!), but if you get it right, the payoff is HUGE. I'd say, just don't pick the color you feel "safer" with. Try to figure out which one you truly like the best and will make you feel the way you want to feel in your bedroom the most.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Hard to say, since I'm not into green walls.

How about BM Coastal Fog

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Another color, and direction, would be blue, namely BM Nantucket Fog. I have it in a bedroom, which has very orange=y pine floors, and it has a lot of yellow in it. In fact, Benjamin Moore pairs it with the colors you have in your room, namely the rug and furniture. And blue bedrooms are divine. Both of the queen bedrooms in my house are blue, and I'll tell youâ¦the first choice of guests is always the BR with the Nantucket Fog - but I've got white furniture in there, so it's a different effect than your room would have. See link

Here is a link that might be useful: Nantucket Fog

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 8:27

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm definitely not leery of color, especially green. My kitchen has green cabinets as well as green walls. I just want something that works this time.

Blue, on the other hand, is a color that I do not like in decor. It's pretty, but not for me.

This post was edited by sas95 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 8:54

• Gracie
    9 years ago

An interior designer once told me to use the middle colors on a paint strip, so that's what I did when we painted most of our house. I've got a lilac guest room, olive green LR/DR, and had a blue violet bathroom. When we remodeled the kitchen, I repainted the green in the hallway to SW Antique White, and then I realized I was tired of the saturation of color in my home. I think deeper colors look good when the wall space is broken up by windows, doorways, white molding, furniture, etc., but my rooms have a solid wall or two, so it was too much color. That's why I say be careful of going too dark. It doesn't appear you have a lot to break up the color in your bedroom.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, sorry, I thnk you even said you don't like blue. Sorry.

• valmooreinphx
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, I love your advice about not picking "safe" colors. I have been doing that for my new house - until I found a color that I LOVED and that made me more brave. sas95, I'd second trying the November Rain sample too.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I am a fan of Soft Fern. I recommended it for a friend who has cherry furniture in her bedroom, and it looks great. I also have it in my basement "playroom" which has my old cherry kitchen cabinets built in, and it looks good there, too.

I'd also recommend something along the lines of Paris Rain if it's not too gray for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paris Rain

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that when you try it against your yellow, you may not get the right impression of what the whole room would look like in that color.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Soft Fern looks blue compared to Coastal Fog that nosoccermom posted. Do you think a blue undertone is good with the rug? The green in the rug looks khaki to me. Post a close-up of the rug if you haven't decided yet.

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Soft Fern vs. November Rain. Plus a closeup of the green in the rug. Yesterday was sunny and the Soft Fern was reading green. Today is overcast and it's reading muddier to me.

This post was edited by sas95 on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 16:03

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I like the soft fern.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Try a sample of the Guilford green. It's LRV value is very close to the soft fern, but it has more yellow in it while the soft fern has more gray, so the yellow will make it warm like your rug, and not as "muddy" as the soft fern, which is the gray in that color causing that.

And perspective! It's only paint and can always be redone.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Guilford Green story

Here is a link that might be useful: Guilford Green story

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I have decided on the Soft Fern. I have been looking at it at various times of the day and it has grown on me. And it's true, it is only paint!

Thanks everyone for your help. Next paint project is my living room, which, I'm afraid, I am also stuck on. Will start a separate thread on that.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Please post a pic of the finished room!

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I definitely will.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Hey, no fair! I just spent an hour looking through the green paints! :P

I came across BM Harbour Town 493, which they show on their website paired with a coral color. I found only one pic. It's the paint above the chair rail. It is a green but looks a little gold here. Note the orange candles.

Also Dune Grass 492 was used on Young House Love, so I got a link with some pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dune Grass

This post was edited by may_flowers on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 10:27

• sas95
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, May Flowers, the Harbour Town is really pretty. I might just have to try that one before committing...

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I was trying to find more pics and came across on YHL where they recommended Harbour Town as a soft khaki green. They also mentioned Springview Green in the same room, which I had picked out as a possibility for my guest bedroom. So now I see that Springview Green is the lightest on the strip. It is a much brighter green than shown in this pic. But no wonder I liked Harbour Town and Dune Grass. Dune Grass is one of the top five favorite greens on the BM website.

I think too much green and your room could read pumpkin patch with the orange rug.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 11:18