Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What size/shape mirror? powder

Posted by robotropolis (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 14:46

Hi all! I've asked for help with this powder room before. I'm super slow.

Anyway, now I have my beautiful new PR which needs a mirror and a new paint color. It occurred to me I need the mirror before I decide on the paint color. So...have a mirror recommendation?

I bought this round IKEA job up there for now and I was thinking I could go nautical, spray paint the frame gloss white and do a rope captain's mirror thing with it. Or...oval? The mirror there is 24" wide. The vanity is 18" wide and dark cherry color. The medicine cabinet is 24x37". The walls can be any color.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 15:15

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What size/shape mirror? powder

I like the round mirror with the round sink but that's just me.

I bet you could find some fun nautical accents as art to bring in rather than do something to the mirror.

It's hard to tell from the photo what color the mirror is.

o

I don't see nautical at all in there as the bathroom is very contemporary. I'd do either a tall diamond shape or oval shape mirror, or a rectangle with a nice frame like this one. This frame has the diamonds you've got in your floor. It's 40" tall, which is very good for the space above your sink. You have a lot of geometrics going on in that bathroom, and I think you have to complete that with the mirror.

this mirror is from Horchow, though, and it's very expensive.

o

The mirror there has a narrow brushed stainless rim.

Tibbrix, I like that expensive mirror :)

Just so you know I'm not TOO slow, here's the before:

So you can see we've come a long way.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 15:14

o

The cabinet seems to overwhelm the tiny vanity. Maybe a mirror is a similar size would help even it out?

o

I agree the cabinet is big. Its saving graces are a) practical (and needed) b) shallow c) low profile/clean look.

The vanity's saving graces are a) fit where the old pedestal sink went b) 70% off at Rona c) 100% ceramic top, which is a look I really like. I believe a 24" vanity wouldn't have worked with the toilet, IIRC.

Here is a 24x36" oval mirror

I could do that maybe with a little shelf below?

This post was edited by robotropolis on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 16:14

o

I'm thinking long narrow oval mirror that comes below the cabinet almost to behind the vanity faucet. Somehow the vanity has to appear taller and so you'll have to trick your eye into thinking it's taller than it really is. Just my opinion.

or, probably too late, but rehang the cabinet lower.

This post was edited by blfenton on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 16:17

o

That's a great idea, re: the shelf. I glass shelf would look very nice in there, and also come in handy as there is very little room on that sink to put anything.

o

You've done a lovely job! I really like the round mirror there. I think an oval is going to add one more strong shape in a grouping of 4 items, none of them the same (well, maybe technically the toilet has some oval to it). I like the round repeating the round of the sink.

The rectangle Tibbrix posted repeats the rectangle of the cabinet but I'm afraid something too large above the sink is going to make the room too top heavy, with that small sink/vanity.

o

I would love to lower the cabinet however it's against code in my area to put outlets in cabinets so I'm stuck with the outlet there. Shoulda lowered the outlet when my contractor was in...

Let me try something....be back with a photo.

o

Just to be contrary and point out the obvious - the toilet is oval. An oval mirror will balance out the oval of the toilet and at least you'll have two of the same shapes in a strong balanced format.

What about a shelf below the cabinet?

I didn'i notice the plug before. Putting plugs in cabinets is against code here as well.

o

Rectangular, heavy frame (just to give idea of shape):

o

Weird idea, maybe a bunch of mirrors? Turns out I don't have a lot of round things in my house.

o

Here's my idea in visual form, shown on the far right, for comparison to the last two ideas you've shared robotropolis.
A tall thin (no more than 18" wide) dark, narrow framed mirror over the vanity with a long glass shelf spanning from the left side of the vanity to the right side of the cabinet. This should keep it from looking like two over two objects...the mirror and vanity and the toilet and cabinet. I'd also paint the cabinet the shade of, or a shade lighter than the wall color, so it doesn't stand out so much.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 0:13

o

The round one doesn't bore me. The others do. I always think of ovals as feminine and traditional.

o

And here's a comparison of the narrow dark thin framed rectangle mirror and a frameless narrow oval mirror.

o

Juatgotabeme, thanks for doing that. Loving the idea of one long shelf. That is genius!!

I like this photo shop idea. If I have time this morning I'll ps some different ideas.

o

Juatgotabeme, thanks for doing that. Loving the idea of one long shelf. That is genius!!

I like this photo shop idea. If I have time this morning I'll ps some different ideas.

o

Justgotabeme, wow. That long shelf makes the room; makes all the difference. Agree with painting the cabinet same as wall or one shade lighter as well; and the narrow rectangular mirror with the trim frame is great. Really hit the nail on the head, IMO.

Only thing, I think the bottom of the mirror should not be flush with the bottom of the cabinet; that the mirror should be raised a bit.

o

i like the thin framed rectangular mirror with long shelf!

o

Bigger rectangle or oval?

o

Definitely not the big rectangle. Either the large oval, or the narrow rectangle that Justgotabeme photoshopped in.

o

Just think how "fun" this will be when it comes to paint color..he he.

o

What do you have in there for lighting?

o

You're welcome robotropolis.
To my eye the bigger mirrors overwhelm the vanity as did the cabinet before I "painted" it.
Thanks Tibbrix.
I guessed at the height of the mirror according to R's photos with her reflection. It could be completely different in real life.
If you look at the original photo R posted above, you'll see there's a ceiling fixture. I cropped it off because it was a pain to get the wall color to look real.

o

Is your cabinet from Ikea? What about the same cabinet, only with mirrored doors, mounted right next to the white cabinet with no gap in between? Then you wouldn't have 4 separate elements ....

o

I like the rectangular/squarish mirrors best. I like the long shelf also but please raise it up a little....looks hard to get your hand on the faucet to turn it on. Have to lift the faucet handle to turn it on so may hit the glass shelf...maybe it just looks close to me.

o

Definitely keep the cat.... LOL

I prefer the narrow rectangular mirror to the oval.

Donna

o

Grandmaof3. It's just a virtual drawing. In real life one would make sure the shelf was placed high enough to allow for proper use of the faucet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here