Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lace curtain struggle

Posted by panforcooking (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 14:37

Hi all! i have been looking for some very plain lace curtains(thinking point d'esprit) to go under my lined yellow and blue curtains.

problem is, im trying to find lace like what my mother in law has, ive been reading and searching for months, and can not find anything like it! she bought them at least 20 years ago and cant remember where theyre from, and the tags are too worn to read!

im including a few pictures and hope you can see how this is different from what ive been finding, the embroidery is so simple, and the lace itself very....i dont know how to explain it! plain?
ive gotten a couple samples of cotton stuff(embroidered) and its just not the same, each hole is sort of like a web, not what im after. the curtains MIL has are practically transparent in day time but still offer privacy from the outside/far away and especially at night.

if you have any insight on where i can find something like this, but without flowers, please let me know!(she does have one extra panel in another room that is very similar and from penny's but all they offer is a floral print, my curtains have a very busy floral print so im looking for something very plain to go with!) thanks for any insight!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lace curtain struggle

this is up close, hope the pic quality does them justice, hoping you can see how open the lace is!

o

Try Etsy store Hatched in France. She has similar items and will also do custom orders. I have three pairs of curtains I got from her and have been completely happy with them.

The type you show is often referred to as French filet lace and is crocheted. That may help in your search.

Here is a link that might be useful: French filet lace

This post was edited by cyn427 on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 14:53

o

this is one set of the windows i want the lace for, 36" panels so i dont have to fuss with the dang radiators haha! also dont mind the strange looking bird cage, got it foe $.25 and haven't decided what to do with it yet lol!

o

Try searching using the term "net curtains." I did a Google image search on that term and got lots of hits for places in the UK.

o

thanks! i actually happened to follow them on twitter recently, haven't come across anything that stood out to me..perhaps im not browsing correctly lol!!

o

thanks! i actually happened to follow them on twitter recently, haven't come across anything that stood out to me..perhaps im not browsing correctly lol!!

o

ive been trying net curtains as well, haven't found anything that really hit me. :(

o

Country Curtains has a Point d'Esprit panel that I think has the openness that you want. However, it does not have the embroidery that your MIL's panel does.

Here is a link that might be useful: Point d'Esprit panel

o

but now im sort of wondering, maybe the way they photograph is throwing me off? what im looking for is in no way shiny and i actually wouldn't call them sheer. the net curtains ive been finding are like a voile but up close are lace...this is not that at all... maybe i can get a picture of hers during the day time soon.. i suppose im hoping for somebody to come along and know exactly what im talking about! MIL searched for years to find what she wanted, so im maybe being overly cautious? i feel like theres not a huge market for lace nowadays though and well i dont think it was huge 20 years ago either!

o

i actually have gotten a sample of that from country curtains, a bit to big and stiff :( i love their bee embroidered stuff, and it would be cute with their flowers but its a bit too gauzy for me :(

o

That fabric is embroidered tulle. Try searching on that.

Edited to add an example/link.

Here is a link that might be useful: White tulle lace embroidered

This post was edited by 1929Spanish on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 17:39

o

Thank you! That makes sense, i wouldnt have guessed by lookin at it, it has a nice soft draping look of cotton, and when i think tulle i think stiff tutus haha!

o

Maybe look at scrim or bobbinette if you want just the unembroidered material.

o

Thank you!

o

:/ still havent fou anything! Currently lookig through a magazing from '95 hoping to come across something. Haha!

o

If you look at the close ups of these panels they are similar to what you have pictured but with no embroidery.

Here is a link that might be useful: ikea

o

Those IKEA curtains linked above are very soft and not shiny at all.

Here's a close up of the IKEA ones with the flowers, just to show you the netting.

o

They remind me of panels from the Rue de France catalog, which sadly is no longer in business. However, you can still occasionally find their curtains on Ebay and Esty. I have come across similar panels at a website called Olde Worlde Lace, but I've not ordered anything from there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Olde Worlde Lace

This post was edited by sweet-tea on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 17:32

o

I will look further into the ikea ones, thanks you two! I had chrcked ikea but only online and didnt see a close-up, the nearest store is 45" away (and in canada) so trips are few and far between!

I will look into rue de france for info a well thank you! I have checke out old world as well striking out of course ::

o

Those IKEA curtains are super cheap (3.99 for two), so definitely not old world lace. Actually, if you zoom in on the one's lucille posted, you'll see that the netting is actually different from the flowery ones.

Also, see more images below.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA Lill lace curtains

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here