|I have this little breakfast table (pictured on the right of the room) that I would like to place outside. It would be completely covered by covered porch. It is all rattan, except for the wicker backs of the chairs, which I recently replaced. |
I am sure I would need to spray it with something to protect it and recover the seats in a sunbrella fabric.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
|I know vintage rattan can. |
my sister has a set on a covered screened in porch at her beach house. She bought it (used) over 20 years ago. The rattan parts are fine, she replaces the cushions when necessary, usually after a hurricane or tropical storm floods her porch.
|It depends on your climate and how covered it is. Sun and rain are hard on upholstery. You need outdoor foam for the cushioned seats, as well as outdoor fabric. The bottom of the chairs must not be wood, so the foam can dry out. Is the tabletop wood? Wood is problematic, with swelling, rotting and loss of finish. The top would have to be glass or aluminum. On the other hand, if it is REALLY covered where it is not touched by rain or sun, it may be okay. Think of porches and screen rooms with rattan and wicker, and yes, even wood. It's such a cute set, I hope you can use it where you want to.|
|Thanks Maddie and Viola! |
It is probably a bit older. I bought it 8 years ago from CL.
It gets super hot here in Texas and not a lot of rain. The top of the table is wood and the bottoms of the chairs are just the cushion. I will have to try the suggestions and see if I can use it. When we move to our new house, I will have no place for it, except outside. Guess we will see.
Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here