Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellababe_gw

MBR: tray ceiling pics?

bellababe
13 years ago

We're painting our master bedroom sherwood tan by BM (coffee/latte color). My decorator recommended painting the tray ceiling the same color, but I'm afraid it will look too dark. I was thinking more of a cream color just for the ceiling, not for the tray. Has anyone done something like this? What are your thoughts in general about painting a tray ceiling? Thanks!

Comments (14)

• User
    13 years ago

This is the tray ceiling in our dining room, the colors are better irl not sure why it looks a bit on the pink side but anyway, I would have gone darker if I had to it again. I think the dining room and bedroom can take the darker ceiling as you want to make these rooms cozy.
    {{!gwi}}

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

There's nothing more luxurious and relaxing than a warm color on your ceiling. I'd say your decorator is onto something, but I would not be afraid to go darker!
    I would put the wall color on the ceiling and then a darker version of that color on the tray.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

My Master bedroom ceiling is the same as the walls. I like the look very much.
    Pre room make-over

My dining room ceiling is also the same color as the walls, but I think the ceiling is too dark. Which I had painted it a lighter color.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

That should have read "Wish I had." In fact, I wish I had used a light version of the BM Decatur Buff that is used in the adjacent rooms, and Master.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

If it were my house, I would paint the tray ceiling at least as dark as the walls, maybe even darker.

I did a faux tray ceiling and painted the perimeter a beautiful chestnut color.

• paintergirl94
    13 years ago

I am very passionate about colors on ceilings, it should be treated as the fifth wall, and there are no rules. Graywings, love your creativity. Newhomebuilder, your MB is right on the money...would be a completely different room with white ceilings. The color makes the trim pop and adds depth and warmth to your room. Love it!!
    Here are a couple other ceilings (unfortunately, not my house)

Don't be afraid of color on your ceilings!!

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

With the height and depth of your ceiling,the wall color will not seem as dark once it's up there. I'm all over painting ceilings. My vote is Yes.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

graywings - Love what you have done to the ceiling, and those curtains are wonderful looking! Would it be possible to post a close-up of your ceiling detail?

• ctlane
    13 years ago

Graywings, is the chestnut color only on the ceiling? I see a shadow above the crown that looks like another molding painted chestnut as well?? I would also like to see a close-up of your ceiling detail if you have time.

• User
    13 years ago

Sorry for the hijack, but graywings, what material is your drapery. It hangs very nicely. Also what type header does it have. I am looking for drapery and your style would fit my DR.

• paint_chips
    13 years ago

Newhomebuilder, I love your colors. That is such a warm cozy green.

Graywings, did you do your ceiling treatment yourself? If so, how did you do that curved molding at the corner? It looks great!

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Thanks for the kind words about the drapes and ceiling detail. I worked with a wonderful interior designer from Annapolis who has great contacts and resources. The drapes were custom made using fabrics she had access to - fairly inexpensive, not silk, probably polyester, with inter-lining and lining and made at a local sewing room she had access to.

The interior designer supplied the ceiling molding and the installers. It was her idea to add the curves at the corners to mirror the columns. The ceiling molding is a manufactured product. I used to know the source, but don't have it now. I don't think I have any close-ups of the molding.

I did the painting - Ellen Kennon Buttercream on the walls and ceiling and EK Chestnut on the perimeter. The Chestnut looks even better in real life - it has a wonderful glow. It is only on the ceiling; I don't know what that dark patch in the photo is about.

• nhb22
    13 years ago

After closer look (with magnifying your photo) the discoloration is a shadow from your rods. Same in the dining room.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

I just realized the color on the ceiling perimeter is EK Bronze, not EK Chestnut. I have Chestnut in another room.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH