Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julies_kitchen

Are there rug rules?

julies_kitchen
13 years ago

Hello Everyone!

We just moved into a new (to us) house and I have tons of decorating projects. I've been lurking here forever and I'm so excited to post here for advice! My first question is regarding rugs. Are there rules about how big of a rug you need for a space? I have 2 specific spots. Our entryway is the first. Here are a few photos:

How much space would I want an entry rug to take up? Also, the rug I really liked was too tall for my door to go over, so would it look weird if I just had the rug start after the door clears? That would be about the end of the entry rug as it is.

The next space is our basement/playroom:

What size rug would work best here? I've seen it where the rug is "anchored" under the couch, and others where it isn't. And if I needed to "anchor" it here, would I put it under both sides of the sectional? One last thing--I saw a big oval braided rug on CL that I really liked. Could I get away with an oval shaped rug that was so large it would definitely go under the sectional, or do you really need to see the edges of an oval rug? Here's a photo of that:

If the rug doesn't work there, I may just use it for the big play/fireplace area that's behind the couch.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Julie

Comments (6)

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

Rugs do several things, and so here are the things to think about.
    They add color and pattern, of course. Keep in mind that the floor and ceiling are the largest surfaces in a room, and so how they are managed has a lot of impact.
    They protect floors from the grit and wear of feet and shoes (and Big Wheels...)
    They define spaces, particularly when a large room has more than one functional area.
    They provide cushioning and warmth and sound absorption under foot.
    They give the cats something to sharpen their claws on.
    (Oh, wait, that's my house...)
    They catch loose dust, and keep it there until you vacuum it up.

When you are placing a rug on the whole floor, the rule of thumb is, at least one foot off the wall all around. Bookcases and chests and tables do best when the rug stops right at their front feet, so that tells you something about how big the rug can be. If you have to put front feet on the rug, put wedges on the back feet to level the piece of furniture...that goes for sofas, too. A rug that goes only part way under a sofa looks all right when the back of the sofa is against the wall, but not so much when it's out in the room.

Rugs under tables and chairs should be big enough that you can pull the chairs back to sit in them without pulling them off the rug.

You also want the rug either all the way in or all the way out of any circulation space through the room or between spaces in the room...so that when you walk naturally through the space, you aren't walking with one foot on and one foot off the rug.

And you don't want the corner of the rug to land somewhere in the middle of a doorway, unless it is far enough ahead of you when you walk in that you can turn and walk around it...30 inches is pretty much minimum there.

The point of all those guidelines is both visual harmony and safety.

And my rule is, even if you buy an inexpensive rug, buy a really good pad for it. It adds life to the rug and luxury underfoot.

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Also, the rug I really liked was too tall for my door to go over, so would it look weird if I just had the rug start after the door clears? That would be about the end of the entry rug as it is.

The purpose of the entry rug is to step on as you enter the house. It would look strange having the rug that far away from the door.

• toriwilson
    13 years ago

Hi, I'm gonna choose unique style of rugs at home since for me it looks so elegant and great. I can recommend to you also to use unique persian area rugs to add beauty of your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: persian area rugs

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

toriwilson, since you just registered today, I'm sure we all want to know if you have read the rules about advertising???
    And perhaps what your first language might be???
    And if you know what SPAM is???

• julies_kitchen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brownynsmom, clever post--too funny!

OK, so let me start with the foyer. If rugs are too tall to fit under the door, and it looks weird to have the rug start after the door clears, what would you suggest for rugs there? There are lots of pine needles where we live and although there's a mat outside the front door, stuff just gets tracked in everywhere on the wood floor. I'm hoping a rug will help "catch" the dirt/needles before they go everywhere...

Any ideas? I think I'm just overwhelmed with the move and just don't know what to do...

Thanks,

Julie

• bronwynsmom
    13 years ago

In our entry hall, which is in the city, where there's all sorts of street dirt underfoot, I used Flor tiles to make a simple pattern in the colors of our living room oriental rug. They are very thin, so that the front door clears them easily. Because they are modular, you can make a rug to wrap around an area like your L-shaped entry, if you like.
    I chose a pattern and style made for higher traffic areas. I chose "House Pet," with the body of the rug in "Irish Setter" and a border I made from half-tiles (I cut them myself) in "Painted Turtle." I'd show you, but my camera is on the fritz.
    From the collection of shoes and tennis balls in your new house, I am guessing that you have an active family with a lot of coming and going, and because they are so easy to take care of, and you can replace a single section if something awful happens, I like them for that sort of spot.

Here's a link to their site...the page for the high traffic products. (I have no connection with them except as a customer.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Flor high-traffic rug tiles

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!