Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiedawnpam_gw

OT: Color and Moods, Depression

prairiedawnpam
13 years ago

The colors on the wheel that you are drawn to may indicate your happiness. Do you prefer grey or yellow today?

...Pam

Here is a link that might be useful: livescience.com

Comments (3)

• jan_in_wisconsin
    13 years ago

Pam,

Great link! While I do suffer from some anxiety, I love yellow, as it is mood-lifting for me. In fact, most of my house is painted from some shade in the yellow/gold/tan family. Thanks for sharing.

Jan

• calirose
    13 years ago

As an artist I am drawn to color, love colors of all shades!

But, I live in a white house by choice (white walls). It feels so clean and I can change accessories at whim. All the living areas (kitchen, dining etc) are painted in a low sheen bath type enamel. All other rooms are painted in a satin.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

"Colors are often used as metaphors for moods, but no one had systematically researched color associations."

I would argue that statement. Color's timeline starting in the 1930's is heavily dotted with clinical psychologists, researchers and color experts who have indeed systematically reaserched - and documented - color associations. Louis Cheskin, Heinrich Frieling (certain works later modified by Inge and Gerd Schilling), Faber Birren, Rudolph Mahnke, Frank Mahnke, and I've probably left a few off the list...

Not to mention (for corn's sake!) Max Lüscher. From Wiki: "He is known for inventing the Lüscher color test, a tool for measuring the person's psychophysical state based on his or her color preferences. Besides research, teaching and practicing psychotherapy in Basel, Lüscher worked for international companies, amongst other things giving color advice.

His book "The Lüscher Test" has been translated into more than 30 languages." So language is no excuse for not being aware of this color research.

I mean doesn't Max's "psychophysical state" mean the same as their "metaphors for moods". From Luscher - "Therefore the patientÂs choice of color shows the state of their psychosomatic and emotional status and how they feel about themselves."

The 'no one has systematically researched color association' business made it hard for me to take that new color wheel thing very seriously.

However, I did go on to take a look at it. I do agree with the information and their associations - for the most part. Not because this is new and innovative information -- it's far from it -- I do appreciate how they have interpreted color associations and how they have managed to communicate that point of view via graphics and words.

Their experiments, graphic developed, and intended application in the medical field is very interesting. I feel how they want to apply it is totally plausible.