Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Swedish country kitchen ideas

lavender_lass
11 years ago

Years ago, I remember reading a book with a description of a swedish country kitchen. I think it might have been a Trixie Beldon book...but she was visiting a neighbor and the kitchen sounded so charming!

There was a little wood stove in the corner, with a chair or two, big window over the sink, a kitchen table in the middle of the space...and it was all blue and white with pine floors. I wish I could remember more details, but I honestly have to say, it's stuck with me more than any other 'book kitchen' I've read since (and I read a lot).

My question is...does anyone have pictures of kitchens like this one...or better yet, does anyone recognize is, so I can go read the book again? LOL Seriously, I'm trying to come up with ideas and I would appreciate any photos or links, you might have. Thanks in advance :)

Comments (17)

• bbstx
    11 years ago

Lots of pix on Google

Here is a link that might be useful: Swedish Country Kitchen

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bbstx- Thank you, but I was looking for something a little closer to my description. I tried an image search, but didn't come up with much...especially with the corner wood stove.

Also, the kitchen is 10' in the area where I'd like to have the table, so I'm thinking maybe a banquette/bench on one side. It would be against the wall, not a window...but I'd like it to be flexible enough to move the bench, when I want to expand the table and bring in more chairs.

• biochem101
    11 years ago

Vintage Swedish corner wood stoves are awesome!

But where would you get one?

I'll bet they cost a mint even in Sweden these days.
    Having one shipped over here would be cool though.

This is one in a Swedish kitchen.

I like the tiled ones best.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful...thank you for the pictures! I thnk you're right though, about them being too expensive. Maybe a wood stove (cute Jotul?) with tile backsplash?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Those are beautiful.
    Do you know about the Tulikivi stoves from Finland? Very efficient, and designed for heat and, if you like, also baking.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooh, baking sounds nice! I'm looking for something small that can easily fit in the corner and not take up too much room...and space for a kettle would be perfect :)

• biochem101
    11 years ago

Not sure Swedish corner stoves are for baking.

I have looked into that myself, a working wood stove.
    But I don't want the giant Amish kind for real.

The best one is the Vermont Bun Baker.

I'm actually thinking about putting it in the den fireplace.

Some day...

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont Wood Stoves

• sochi
    11 years ago

Now you're talking my language LL, I love Swedish country. I can't point you to that picture, but I bet you'd love "Lars Bolander's Scandinavian Design" by Heather Smith MacIsaac. Only a small section on kitchens, but the book mixes Gustavian, with Swedish country and some Scandi modern. Super cool, one of my favourite design books.

Good luck with your search.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We looked at tulikivi and kakelugns for our new house as we wanted a wood stove and liked the efficiency of the large masonry heaters. But we didn't go with them once we found out, esp with tulikivi, how large a foundation you need to support the thing if it's not on a 1st floor. I was talking to a neighbor recently who bought the house from old neighbor who had a russian stove installed. They now have this huge stove that takes up a lot of space that they can't use because somewhere inside the maze of channels the masonry has cracked and is no longer safe. Fixing it will require $$$$ so instead it just sits.

Instead we went with a jotul and are very happy with it.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Annie, what a lovely room!
    May I ask where you keep your wood box?
    And does your stove let you load from the side as well as the front?

• Susan
    11 years ago

a few years ago i was obsessed with the corner fireplace in the cinderella movie from 1960s with leslie ann warren.
    i've lost the file with the picture and unless i rent the movie again i don't know how to find it.
    i don't know why i link cinderella and swedish in my head, but i do, so maybe you'd like it too.
    anyway it's a multi level brick corner fireplace, not woodstove, but the design is very doable with a wood stove also. (and what i was planning on).

and i love your bench idea, make it white washed and upholstered with a blue and white check, or maybe red and white.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Oh, God, here we go. We're in a LL thread and you had to mention Cinderella?

Everybody duck.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Thanks Bronwynsmom...glad you like the room.

We have a wood basket next to the stove. The rest of the wood is stored in the garage and we fetch it by the armload as needed. But this stove is very efficient so we don't need to fetch wood very often.

Yes the stove loads from the front and the side. I love being able to watch the fire through the glass doors...we couldn't do that with the old woodstove at the old house...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Is this cinderella's fireplace you like? Look at time stamp 2:09

Here is a link that might be useful: Cinderella

• Susan
    11 years ago

annie you rock! how did you do that? i don't care, i'm just glad you did.
    thankyou!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Seek, and ye shall find....

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Biochem- Thanks for the link...neat stove!

Sochi- I'll see if I can find a copy of that book...thank you for the recommendation.

Annie- Jotul is such a great choice. And way to find the Cinderella fireplace!

Marcolo- LOL! Whatever do you mean??? Actually, I prefer Snow White...see link :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link