Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Check out this place - NY, mid-century/asian influence

Posted by sochi (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 14:02

This place is intriguing and clearly no expense has been spared (see link). I first saw the wet room (below - I love it) on the remodelista site and then searched for the rest of the house. I was surprised by what I found. 8,000 sq foot townhouse over 8 floors. At first I didn't understand how it all managed to hang together. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: interesting & beautiful townhouse

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Check out this place - NY, mid-century/asian influence

I love the term 'episodic' that was used to describe this house.

o

Thank you for posting! I love that living room, really intriguing palette.

The wetroom with moss ... well, I thought i was the queen of impractical, LOL

o

Inspirational and intriguing. There are many things I love, but in no particular order, the use of nature as art, strong black and white, geometry, texture and reflective surfaces. The pink and warm gold/brass in the living room remind me of Cameron Diaz's stunning apartment that was in Elle Decor some months ago.

o

We have a black cat that would match the house perfectly.

o

Haha - pets should always match decor! ;)

o

Wow, very interesting! 8 floors?!? That Zen viewing garden and the minimalist wet room are epic. The style of the kitchen feels somewhat disconnected from those rooms, though...

o

"Rees Roberts and Harris traveled to Asia, where the homeowners lived at the time, to study their clients’ lifestyle and tastes. "

<---Oh for this to be me someday. The client, not the architect.

8000 square feet and the kitchen manages to look like a Manhattan apartment kitchen. A beautiful kitchen, but still.

I would kill for that Zen viewing garden.

o

Once you get to a certain size, the necessity of a high level of consistency goes out the window.

o

So small though! I mean, for 8000sqft. Not for a regular Manhattan place.

o

It was the lack of consistency amongst the various rooms that struck me. That moss wet room seems so incongruent with the rest of the adjoining 'Draper" bathroom. As do other rooms. Oh well. It is hard to imagine 8,000 sq feet, or 8 floors for that matter. I suspect there must be an elevator somewhere.

o

I kind of like it ...let's see, what could I do with eight floors...

B1 Hammam-ish pool/sauna subbasement
B2 Downton Abbey style servants' quarters and catering kitchen
M1 Venetian palazzo public reception floor
M2 Parisian friends' reception rooms
M3 Wabi sabi private family rooms and family kitchen
M4 Eclectic family bedroom floor (to their taste)
M5 Scandi master suite and sitting rooms
M6 Industrial office, sky gym, and outdoor pool floor. Of course this is where I'd place my outdoor zen garden shower experience.

Yes, I did daydream about this for 20 minutes instead of coding survey responses to meet a midnight deadline.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 23:04

o

How does one clean a moss floor?

o

Good question Annie. Maybe it cleans itself??

Great plan robotropolis! The sky gym sounds great.

o

Thank you for posting, sochi, great pics (wish there were more). Also have to say, that is no mere wet room, it's more like a *deluge room* with the stream of H20 they show in the pic. And, sorry, but what is a Draper bathroom?

Also like your plan, robotropolis, sounds inspired.

sandyponder

o

Dorothy Draper was an interior designer from the 1920s through the midcentury period. She worked in a style that was traditional in form but used color and pattern in broad graphic strokes that were not traditional. Two of her more famous commercial projects are the Greenbriar and the Carlyle hotels She loved large patterned, graphic, vinyl floors.

o

Thank you, palimpsest, I was not familiar with Dorothy Draper or her work. I will Google those projects with interest, as I'm thinking of painting a pattern on the hardwood floor in our EIK this fall, and maybe I'll get some ideas.

sandyponder

o

Love the outdoor space but nothing else except the excellent windows really move me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here