Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

Check out this place - NY, mid-century/asian influence

sochi
9 years ago

This place is intriguing and clearly no expense has been spared (see link). I first saw the wet room (below - I love it) on the remodelista site and then searched for the rest of the house. I was surprised by what I found. 8,000 sq foot townhouse over 8 floors. At first I didn't understand how it all managed to hang together. What do you think?

Here is a link that might be useful: interesting & beautiful townhouse

Comments (17)

• blfenton
    9 years ago

I love the term 'episodic' that was used to describe this house.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting! I love that living room, really intriguing palette.

The wetroom with moss ... well, I thought i was the queen of impractical, LOL

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

Inspirational and intriguing. There are many things I love, but in no particular order, the use of nature as art, strong black and white, geometry, texture and reflective surfaces. The pink and warm gold/brass in the living room remind me of Cameron Diaz's stunning apartment that was in Elle Decor some months ago.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

We have a black cat that would match the house perfectly.

• MarinaGal
    9 years ago

Haha - pets should always match decor! ;)

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

Wow, very interesting! 8 floors?!? That Zen viewing garden and the minimalist wet room are epic. The style of the kitchen feels somewhat disconnected from those rooms, though...

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

"Rees Roberts and Harris traveled to Asia, where the homeowners lived at the time, to study their clientsâ lifestyle and tastes. "

8000 square feet and the kitchen manages to look like a Manhattan apartment kitchen. A beautiful kitchen, but still.

I would kill for that Zen viewing garden.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Once you get to a certain size, the necessity of a high level of consistency goes out the window.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

So small though! I mean, for 8000sqft. Not for a regular Manhattan place.

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was the lack of consistency amongst the various rooms that struck me. That moss wet room seems so incongruent with the rest of the adjoining 'Draper" bathroom. As do other rooms. Oh well. It is hard to imagine 8,000 sq feet, or 8 floors for that matter. I suspect there must be an elevator somewhere.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I kind of like it ...let's see, what could I do with eight floors...

B1 Hammam-ish pool/sauna subbasement
    B2 Downton Abbey style servants' quarters and catering kitchen
    M1 Venetian palazzo public reception floor
    M2 Parisian friends' reception rooms
    M3 Wabi sabi private family rooms and family kitchen
    M4 Eclectic family bedroom floor (to their taste)
    M5 Scandi master suite and sitting rooms
    M6 Industrial office, sky gym, and outdoor pool floor. Of course this is where I'd place my outdoor zen garden shower experience.

Yes, I did daydream about this for 20 minutes instead of coding survey responses to meet a midnight deadline.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 23:04

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

How does one clean a moss floor?

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good question Annie. Maybe it cleans itself??

Great plan robotropolis! The sky gym sounds great.

• lakeaffect
    9 years ago

Thank you for posting, sochi, great pics (wish there were more). Also have to say, that is no mere wet room, it's more like a *deluge room* with the stream of H20 they show in the pic. And, sorry, but what is a Draper bathroom?

Also like your plan, robotropolis, sounds inspired.

sandyponder

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Dorothy Draper was an interior designer from the 1920s through the midcentury period. She worked in a style that was traditional in form but used color and pattern in broad graphic strokes that were not traditional. Two of her more famous commercial projects are the Greenbriar and the Carlyle hotels She loved large patterned, graphic, vinyl floors.

• lakeaffect
    9 years ago

Thank you, palimpsest, I was not familiar with Dorothy Draper or her work. I will Google those projects with interest, as I'm thinking of painting a pattern on the hardwood floor in our EIK this fall, and maybe I'll get some ideas.

sandyponder

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Love the outdoor space but nothing else except the excellent windows really move me.