Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

part lll...slice of life...

User
10 years ago

Wow...so many stories. It is certainly true that a pic is worth a 1000 words. I am still without internet so using my phone..sigh. ATT will be here later. Till then: mailbox incident..whoa! ,maverick..bad voy!!,Mom'..there are so many thoughts that go throufh my mind and heart...thank you each for posting about your Mom,money lost and returned...fabuloys stiry,dee..love the scrabble story..dh and I used to play all the time! I was 19 and he was 24 too. Grat cartoon..love Pogo. Awm...wonderful pic.Mitch..congratulations to dd. Jzr..sunset perfection.Joyce love the cruise pic. Natesgrm..beautiful . 4kids..a week of great pics!!kmbc..beautiful home..can we hear more about it and more pics? Sundoener..Kenya??tell us more nd shiw more too! Jave..haha..buried treasure..what have you found..tell us and show us more. Boop juice! A new product!

I will post my pics when computer working again. C

Comments (150)

• User
    10 years ago

Javachick, I hear you--- I was in the same boat. Two different people recommended a masonry company to do the work. They dug the trenches, cut out the patio, put in the drains, built back the pondless waterfall, and even put the sod back. We now have a river rock bed in our backyard where all the drains converge. They are almost finished and I will post pictures next week. I am hoping that when I get back from NY Sunday night that everything will all be back in place. Then we have to clean... I have someone coming to pressure wash everything to get rid of the thick layer of pink dust from cutting bricks.

• nutsaboutplants
    10 years ago

With an amateur's pride, let me show you what I finished today. This is my latest hobby that came out of nowhere. As someone who has to suit up every day for work, I can't wear this stuff nor am I talented or dedicated enough to make it a serious pastime. I give it away to daughters of friends and other young women. Here is my project from earlier today.

This post was edited by nutsaboutplants on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 21:08

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

These threads are wonderful. I am enjoying so much. Trail, the photo of you and GS on the porch brought tears to my eyes. Actually, lots of them did. Thanks so much for sharing.

I've been going between a rental cottage with my mom (12 miles away but it makes her happy so we go), and starting a new job. Not a lot of time for photos. I'm pretty sure you all don't want to see the one that my son sent me today of the cat eating a baby bunny out on the deck today. Of course, the men didn't remove the carcass either.....

Love!

Beth P.

• outsideplaying_gw
    10 years ago

Bee, THANK YOU for the photo of the scene that I missed! It was a beautiful downtown area, but we didn't have time to go exploring up! We stayed outside the downtown area as we were closer to the Convention Center and visiting family also closer to Simpsonville. But we were downtown almost all day one day and could have stayed much longer. Loved that meal and also could have eaten at several other places we saw during our walk about.

To everyone else...keep the photos coming. Love your slices of life! Kids, grands, food, whatever!! Delightful!

• User
    10 years ago

Bestyears - I knew it had to be something like that LOL things jump into my kart too when my daughter goes with me. I just couldn't resist LOL.

Nice necklace Nutsaboutplants.

no photo today.......... summer cold :(

• baylorbear
    10 years ago

Still loving everyone's pictures!!

I was inspired by all the food pics! This is what I have for breakfast about five times a week! Love it!

It's easy to put together too! You need a sliced banana, blueberries, sliced almonds, chopped pecans, shredded coconut, and I top it with almond milk. Yum!

Arlosmom, Thank you so much! :-)

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Wonderful slices of life. Speaking of slices and speaking of the Cooking Forum where we take pictures of our food, this is what was left from my Butterfingers Cake.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

I need to treat myself to an iPhone for my birthday so I can post more pictures. Honestly, in the last few days I've thought "that would be a cool photo for the slice of life thread" but I didn't have a way to take a picture.

If I'm sure she's not home, I might sneak over to my neighbor with my iPad and take a pic of her hydragena because they are deep, deep purple and gorgeous.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Such wonderful photos! I love this thread! I wished I could comment on each and every one, but then I would never be able to get anything done today ;)

I have always stared at these little seeds or berries or whatever they are on our cedar trees and have always admired their beautiful color. It is the perfect blue/green that I would love to capture throughout my home!

I finally picked some a few minutes ago and put them on a plate so I could take a photo and share it.

• User
    10 years ago

aktillery - my first thought was she is going to make gin.

Starting to pack for camping next week going to the Sunny Okanagan. Can't wait to try out my new 6 day cooler it is actually big enough I can pack ice. Our last cooler was puny. Anyone else tent camp?

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Trail---I remember those after-nap cuddles with my kids....just great!

Badger and Cheri--darling girls!

CL--happy camping...I admire those who do it. I'm a city girl and for me camping is a fate worse than death! Drop me off at the Marriott on your way to the forest. I think it was Jerry Seinfeld who summed up his views on camping--"why would you WANT to live like a homeless person?! LOL.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fantastic photos continue !! I want that cake :)

Blakey...we tent camp all the time. I have posted lots of pics on here. And on my bike trips I camp every night for 2 months at a different site...I have a small trailer to pull behind my bike. Here is a pic of how my site looks when I am "on the road". I hope you will post pics of your camp too !

me with my trailer riding through the desert:

my camp...every night a different site..all the comforts of home...but no cooler !

• kellyeng
    10 years ago

Trail, your son could be my husband's brother. They look just alike!

Speaking of DH, he informed me this morning that I have paper product "issues." I wonder what he's talking about?

• User
    10 years ago

I don't see a sign "Please don't squeeze the Charmin" so nope no issues LOL

Trail my camp is embarrassingly full of comforts when we don't back pack. 7 inches of foam(1-3" and 1-4") queen size mattress with sheets in a humongous tent. Pretty Posh for tent camping LOL

• baylorbear
    10 years ago

Kellyeng, I am so jealous!! I love paper products and would love to have a full cabinet like that! I might have to make a Target or Sam's club run tonight! ;-)

• natesgram
    10 years ago

LOL Kelly!
    Arlosmom, thanks for the paint color. I'll have to get a sample.

Camping in the back of the station wagon and tent days are over for us. Here is our version of camping now. This is right on the sand at Jalama Beach in California several months ago.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

I wish I had a spare cabinet for paper products! Jealous!

My 10-minute craft project for the week (maybe for the summer). I bought this tray for $2 at a yard sale. It had a brown frame and the bottom of the tray was brown burlap. I spray painted it black and found this cute fabric for the bottom in my DD's stash of craft supplies. Now it's on the kitchen table holding a wire napkin basket and a plant. (Took the napkin holder out so you can see the fabric.)

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I'm being stalked!

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Kelly, glad to see that you use Viva papertowels, I swear Viva saved my life one day. lol.

My DIL sent me this pic of my GD, it was an "Awww" moment. She was on the patio and was told to stay out of the ash bucket from the fireplace. I don't think she did by looking at the evidence all over her. :)

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Alex and Oakley---too cute---takes me back!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

These threads are just so much fun! I'm so enjoying everyone's pictures and "slices". Thanks, TR for creating them!

aktillery, I had some cedars outside my dr window that made those berries at the old house and came across a fabric that blended perfectly with the greens and blues. I really loved bringing those colors inside. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am enjoying all the pics too !! I appreciate all the great comments...if it wasn't for this wonderful forum this thread would have never taken off as well as it has. I am glad you all like it so much.

We are having very full days. Baby is still staying here with his Mom and Dad . They go all day long and get their place organized and DH and I take care of baby. Yesterday I used their car and had baby with me to do errands. It was so fun. Here is a pic of our Krogering !!

• User
    10 years ago

The only time it is safe to sleep and drive.

• sparklebread
    10 years ago

Swim clinic with Olympic Medalists David Walters and Christine Marshall this morning. Great instruction and motivation by these two outstanding athetes. Healthy habits, goal setting, hard work- lessons even 40 somethings need to be reminded of from time to time! The medals my daughter is wearing are the real thing!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

haha..blakey...he is looking down at his feet !! Trying to figure out how to make it go FAST ! He honked the horns all the way through the store. Here is a pic from this AM at the park...

• Boopadaboo
    10 years ago

This is the first thread I check. :) My picture for today... Piglet.

DS (4) insisted that I bring him to my other home aka work to keep me company.

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Love, love all of your pics! Here is one I took of the Sabinal River in Utopia over July 4th weekend. We love it there. Spring-fed, crystal clear water.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OH Texan...I have a bunch of pics of our campsite in the Lost Maples area when I did my 2010 bicycle trip ! We loved that area. So beautiful and what hills ! Great pic. c

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

Such cuteness and beauty above, lovely slices of life.

My harsh reality for today: after working out and feeling good about myself, I decided to cook dinner ahead of time and I tried out a new chicken recipe and this is what happened. I salvaged the chicken though.
    My rice casserole turned out all sticky and gummy, to the trash it went.
    I cleaned the kitchen and proceeded to clean the glass dining room table, I used stainless cleaner by mistake and got the table all oily, I had to pour a cup of vinegar to remove all the oil.

I'm still smiling, it's a beautiful day, I am too blessed to be stressed.

• User
    10 years ago

Burning supper is the perfect opportunity to take the night off and go out instead. I try not to burn supper at regular intervals but sometimes it just can't be helped LOL.

• jakabedy
    10 years ago

I worked from home today and this afternoon the dogs were being loud, so I shut them out of my office. When I went back out, I found that the sofa pillows had all been absconded with and were in various places. Our little guy doesn't get them down, but once they're down, well . . . this is where I found the last pillow. And him. And the cat keeping him company.

• lynn_r_ct
    10 years ago

Javackik, I was beginning to think I was the only one! mustangs, searched cooking forums here with no success - MUST have recipe for butterfinger cake. I am having surgery soon and I get to eat anything I want, whenever I want - like a child I am -and I want that, so please point me to the recipe. TYIA. Lynn fr CT

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Trail, I love the way your GS is holding his fingers in the air as he slides. Very sweet.

Here is a an editorial cartoon I bought at a charity auction a couple years ago. I am a great library lover and this cracks me up every time I see it. It's by Tony Auth.

• natesgram
    10 years ago

Lynn, I think I found your cake.

Here is a link that might be useful: butterfinger cake

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Ded, love the cartoon. I may try to find a copy online to hang in my classroom!

I am also checking this thread regularly. Best ever! Thanks Trail.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Thanks Natesgram for posting the link for Lynn, I hope your surgery goes well.

The adjustments that I made (and posted in the link from the Cooking Forum) made for an impressive picnic dessert. It was easy but I didn't tell our picnickers.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All the pics and stories are so great. This is the most interesting thread on GW ! We sure are a diverse group and yet our sense of humor and adventure and desire to share binds us all together. I am so glad everyone wants to continue the thread. Here are 2 pics....3 generations:

grand baby and grandpa making pasta together:

our son " chef" at work in our kitchen...just like old times: he made the shrimp dish that went over the pasta :)

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Trail-love the pics of your grand, he is so precious. Does your son have a new restaurant?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Texan...I will link below. It is the facebook page for the new restaurant. It is here in Auburn AL...10 min from us. If you scroll down to June 8th you will see the announcement and an explanation of what he will be doing. All the butchering and charcuterie for the restaurant with a plan to open his own shop in the future. He won't be cooking anymore but this is his new interest. As an aside my Dad was a butcher at one point in his life in the late 30's-40's. Our son has his grandpa's knives and an apron so it is pretty special. Thank you for asking. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Acre restaurant Auburn AL

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Don't you wish we could go on a cross country tour visiting our newly expanded friendships? We have frequent get togethers with Cooking Forum members; at last count I was up to meeting 33 members.

Blakey is soooo cute coming down the slide, he looks like he is on a mission.

Here is lunch, lettuce wraps and ham and bean soup.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Yeah, and I ALMOST stayed with Mustangs last winter when I was hankering for a Florida vacation. Cathy, you were an adorable cheerleader.

I love the picture of the little girl standing in the corner with the ashes all over her toosh.

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Hey Trailrunner - any bagels leftover? I our way to Gulf Shores for vacation.

We saw Sir Paul 4 years ago and he rocked it out! He is superb.

• patty_cakes
    10 years ago

Sweet lady Caroline, I just have to say that you are the picture of life! There's a commercial deal out there somewhere for you, they just haven't taken the right road to find you!!

What a really enjoyable thread!! Flowers, fauna, and food, oh my~life don't get much better than that! Keeping it real is food for the soul. There's nothing like the fun that summer brings, heat and all. Keep the bug spray, sun screen, and a cold bottle of 'something' close by, we still have a couple of months to go! ;o)

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Who's having twins?! I need to go back to the last Slice thread and catch up!

Love seeing all the babies, toddlers, trips, flowers and animals. The lizard/Ghostbusters clouds were great!

Y'all will think I'm weird, but I'm posting a picture of a toad that was on the front veranda last night. It's an American Toad. He's a gorgeous copper color, so perfect with the flagstone and downspouts! lol It's the first time I've seen a toad this color and size, and we've been here 7+ years. He posed for the camera (which took horrible pictures with the lighting) and the iPhone without batting an eye. I may never see him again after putting him through all that plus taking the two dogs out!

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We used to have get togethers on Kitchens. Cat_Mom organized one in Manhattan in 2007 and we had 13 of us at lunch and shopping and Union Sq afterwards. She had one more after that and I couldn't make it. We don't get up to NYC like we used to. My DH and I have gone to WA and met up with Rhome and her DH...we actually all got together 2 times in one week ! It was great. Perhaps we need to try it here on Deco. Mustangs that is a very impressive number 33 !!

Love the puppies on the pillows and the food pics and the cartoon ! Motherof3sons...what time ?? I have bagels !! Thank you patty sweet compliments.

This is what I was watching out of my sitting room window last evening. So beautiful. c

I just scrolled through part ll...there were several pics that I missed. Betty's birds and a pic of Venice/boats were two. So many moments shared. Please link to this part lll when you start part lV. That way they won't get lost.

Here is a link that might be useful: slice of life 2 link

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Pre-dinner glass of wine on the deck of our house in Brewster. We spent the week there during the heat wave-perfect!

• motherof3sons
    10 years ago

Double

This post was edited by motherof3sons on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 10:35

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

The stone says, "Welcome to My Garden" in Italian. Whichever critter left this message is right. My veg garden DOES look like crap right now.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    10 years ago

trailrunner, I haven't taken pictures in the last few days, but I just want to add my thank you for these threads. I've enjoyed all the pics, and glimpses into each GW member's life.

Love your sky pic.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

C, there were a total of 4 get-togethers, and you were at three of them! I have photographic evidence! :-)

First one was at Nice Matin (sp?)

Second one was at Blue Water Grill

Third one (which your DH was also at!) was also at Blue Water Grill

Fourth one (the one you didn't make) was at Spice Mkt.