Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

o
part lll...slice of life...

Posted by trailrunner (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 14:01

Wow...so many stories. It is certainly true that a pic is worth a 1000 words. I am still without internet so using my phone..sigh. ATT will be here later. Till then: mailbox incident..whoa! ,maverick..bad voy!!,Mom'..there are so many thoughts that go throufh my mind and heart...thank you each for posting about your Mom,money lost and returned...fabuloys stiry,dee..love the scrabble story..dh and I used to play all the time! I was 19 and he was 24 too. Grat cartoon..love Pogo. Awm...wonderful pic.Mitch..congratulations to dd. Jzr..sunset perfection.Joyce love the cruise pic. Natesgrm..beautiful . 4kids..a week of great pics!!kmbc..beautiful home..can we hear more about it and more pics? Sundoener..Kenya??tell us more nd shiw more too! Jave..haha..buried treasure..what have you found..tell us and show us more. Boop juice! A new product!

I will post my pics when computer working again. C

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: part lll...slice of life...

Today's 'corn-cam' pic--GS is 45" tall. Notice blue sky. No rain today!! I'd do a happy dance, but I'm afraid it might be misinterpreted as a rain dance. ;)

o

Ooh! Part 3! I didn't have a chance to participate in the first two. Here's a pic that makes me smile...we have just returned from a vacation to the Mountain Top Inn in Chittenden, VT. It was so beautiful, but my kids' favorite part was the bean bag room - literally, a room full of bean bags! I think the intent was for it to be a move watching room, but i didn't see any kids doing anything other than jumping all over all those beanbags!

photo vaca_zps0dcc6cf0.jpg

o

Closing on this fixer upper next week, currently living in our RV while we wait. I'm going to be asking for lots of advise in the coming months.
 photo IMG_0885.jpg

o

Love this thread! So many wonderful pictures and little stories!

In response to the posts in Part II:

Cat_mom,

You've got two girls, I've got two boys! :-)

Jillinnj,

I'm a snooze button abuser, so I set my alarm clock 20 min ahead to get myself out of bed faster.

Here's my picture du jour. Well, not exactly a today's photo, but it's about what I've been busy with lately. We have mulberry trees in our front yard. I've been picking the berries and making jams for the past two weeks. Now I have 10 32oz jars, and probably a couple more to make this weekend.

o

Mama goose......"the corn was as high as an elephant's eye..."

Danielle---great pic...3boys...you are one busy mom!

Nates...that looks like a pretty nice "fixer"!

o

I just looked at my spelling...thank goodness I have my computer back thank you AT&T !! What great pics for round III !! Already I see trends..the corn gets better and better !! I don't remember it being that tall in OH when I was little...back in the 1950's. What a fantastic crop it will be. Danielle love the idea of a bean bag room ...what fun ! Natesgram, wonderful house. I can hardly wait till we see more pics and get to help decorate :) Ummm....can I send my address and get a quart of that mulberry jam lana ???? please ??? they are beautiful !

Here are 2 pics. DH and I rode to the gym 3x this week and today as we got near the house he said we needed a reward...sweet man ! It was 78 degrees...and 78% humidity !! He got us each a Frosty and we hurried home and had porch time while we enjoyed the fan and the cool confection.

photo Image_zpsac68e1db.jpg

You can see how I got them home..in my handlebar bag ! My haircut is almost 2 weeks old...it was really short :)

photo Image1_zps5011d047.jpg

I am so enjoying the slices and pieces and peeks and tidbits that we are all sharing. I am seeing names that I haven't seen ever before or some not in ages. I am so glad that folks are coming out to play. I hope that some Boys will come out too !! c

o

Congratulations Natesgram, that does look like a nice fixer. Is it connected to the house/building on the left?

LanaRoma, I've heard of mulberrys but have never seen them before. Thanks for showing.

o

LanaRoma-right now they are curled up around each other, next to me, while I type this!

PS I am a snooze button abuser, too!

PPS C--yum!

o

Nothing better than Ohio sweet corn! Looks like a great crop Mama!

I took some time out today to work on a comfort quilt for a dear friend....chemo for the third time in 4 years...hope she finds this colorful, fun and warm during treatments...

o

Our two Labs got to go on a road trip today, so that meant the two little knuckleheads had to stay home alone. Oh no!!

When I got home from work I took them on a walk. They went about 3 blocks and apparently their adrenaline ran out. They kept trying to walk up driveways to go home. Now they're lying at my feet, passed out.

Ruphous on the left, Aurora on the right.

o

Trail...nice to "see" you!

o

trailrunner, what a sweet man. You rode your bike to work out? I would have been exhausted by the time I got there, much less working out and then having to ride home. yes, you did deserve a treat.

Juleecat, I love your quilt! Cancer 3 times in 4 years, how heartbreaking. I hope your quilt brings her a lot of joy, hope, and determination.

o

marti, the building on the left of the fixer house is the garage. Luckily, it isn't a major fixer. Needs popcorn ceilings removed, all walls repainted, new carpet, and someday all new kitchen. It will be a great project for us.

Love the quilt, pooches, kids, and corn. By the way MamaGoose, how many ears do you normally get on a stalk that tall? I've never seen anything like it.

Trail, you are just amazing.

o

Ohio sweet corn is wonderful, especially the first mess of the season. The pics are of field (dent) corn, meant for feed and silage. Although the field is part of the original dairy farm, the owners retained that section, and their heirs lease it to a nearby neighbor. The large field to our north is also leased to the same neighbor.

When the neighbor's boys were small, they'd ride the tractor with their father, until they were tired or bored, then their dad would let them off in our yard, where they'd play and have popsicles with my youngest. Almost 20yrs later, those little boys are now doing most of the farming. They rotate corn, soybeans, and hay, so in the corn years we almost feel as if we live in a tunnel; when the corn is gone we feel suddenly exposed, off-balance, and unprotected from the road noises.

This weekend I am in charge of my grandmutt, as my daughter calls him. Here he is with my Brittany, getting reacquainted (re-establishing the pecking order). It's hard to get a nice, sharp pic of two bundles of early morning energy. :)

o

A pic from this AM . The kids are packing up the last of their stuff today and loading the truck tomorrow. DS1 cooks his last meal tonight at the Red Hen ! We are so excited to have them coming "home".

photo photo_zpsf05f7073.jpg

Hey cat_mom...it was very yum ! Julee, what a beautiful quilt and story. We have a group at our church that makes comfort quilts too and they are passed around to members as they need them...it really makes a difference to wrap yourself in love. Pesky..cute pooches ! And yours too mama goose ! Joanie...can I "see" you too ! Thank you natesgram..I have my moments :) Marti yes we do. In the past DH hasn't wanted to do it with me so he would take the local senior citizen's bus. It is between 22-25 miles round trip. But he has had a change of heart after all the cycling in VA in June , he didn't want to "lose his legs" , so to speak. He is a real trooper...just turned 66 in May ! He has also decided he wants to do a bike tour with me so we are in the planning stages for the Spring. Life has so many interesting turns..don't you think ?

o

Good Morning All Trail may I have some of your energy ..........What a nice quilt what a puzzle to put it together........I want a bean bag room looks fun......Children(Child) of the corn? LOL........... Mulberries they kind of look like blackberries I have never had one or seen them in stores.... Cute doggies kissing.... 3 blocks that is a short road trip are they seniors?

Mine can't go that far anymore either she is 15 in Aug but has back problems. It is going to be an indoor cozy day today 6C/42F and supposed to get to a whopping 3C/37F overnight I am hoping that it does not snow it is raining right now.

o

Wow CL Blakely, that is cold for the middle of summer. Where are you? Wherever it is, I'd love to trade for a day. We're supposed to 101F today.

o

photo image-5.jpg
Taking a break from preparing a grillparty for 45. My youngest is 20 and asked if we could host a grillparty for her family and friends. What we do for our children and would you believe it is raining and has for the most of the summer.

o

This was taken right before dusk last night when I went to get Lizzie to bring her inside. The turtle has has a bit of fingernail polish on him because we're keeping count of all the turtles hanging out on our property. It's fun! Oh, and Lizzie has no interest in eating it. lol

photo IMG_4898_zps3e7af6c0.jpg

o

My sweet sweet little Chihuahua Angel.....

o

Such sweet poochies! Love that Lizzie doesn't mess with the turtles. Western Pond Turtles are diminishing in number here ;( What type of turtles do you have there Oak?

CL-these two boneheads are only 4. They'd been indoors all day and I think they spent all their energy in the first 10 minutes of the walk as they tired out VERY fast. It was hard for me to walk them, due to my back still hurting, but i figured they're small-what can they do? HA!

The Labs that went on a road trip yesterday are older-9 and 8-but they seem to have more endurance than the smaller ones. I think, however, the two youngsters play harder all day long, too.

Love all the photos that are posted. This is so much fun.

o

I spent the morning shopping for a sorority party at my house this week with a book inspired menu (link to previous thread below). Had to borrow three books from which menu items were selected to use as table decorations.

Eat Me. Drink Me. Strawberries. coldtonguecoldhamcoldbeefpickeldgherkinssaladfrenchrollscresssandwichespottedmeatgingerbeerlemonadesodawater

Here is a link that might be useful: Book Inspired Menu

o

Kitty looks like she is not impressed with the turtle crossing her path.

I see the Alice in wonderland and Caterpiller Rolls come to mind.

Angel kinda has doe eyes very cute.

Is that a pony tail Ice?

We are in NW Alberta.

o

Pesky, I'm not sure what type of turtle that is, but there's a bunch of them. I'm always swerving so I don't hit them with the car. lol. This type of turtle and snappers are usually all I see.

Know what we haven't seen this summer which is extremely odd? Toads. Not one toad. We have horny toads and lizards (which Lizzie loves to stalk), but not plain old toads.

You saw this picture on FB, but here it is for everyone else. A Mockingbird attacking Liz, but they don't seem to bother her.

photo IMG_4863_zps46a92cf6.jpg

o

Loving all the photos. I wish I could comment on every one. I do love the boys and bean bags shot because it brings back memories of when my sons were that age.

Here's my little side patio just now. With all the rain we've had, everything is booming, including the weeds.

I think the electric meter adds an especially nice touch, don't you?

o

Gosh, do the pics of corn and mulberries bring back my childhood. It does my heart good to see such healthy outstanding specimens. Speaking of outstanding specimens ... thanks for continuing the thread trailrunner. :)

So love the pets, the comfort quilt, the new house and sweet family and everything else posted since I started typing this about three hours ago.

Here is my slice of life today. Still Life With pearls & Polka Dots or an alternative title may be Skirt Redux. I think I've worn this skirt three times in the last two weeks. Luckily I don't see the same people day in and day out. lol!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Oakley -I had to laugh at your pic. We had a cat that didn't "make good choices" one day, and killed the mate of a mockingbird. That surviving mate made Ash's life a living hell for TWO WEEKS. It seemed kind of funny the first couple of days, but after awhile we just couldn't believe it!

o

Love these threads. Thanks all for participating.

Here is mine. Naptime with our new kitty. Yet to be named.

This post was edited by lyfia on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 14:05

o

One of my nieces gave us this "Day of the Dead" inspired wedding couple when she was visiting for my birthday. Thought I'd post it since our 7-year wedding anniversary is tomorrow. I know this is not to everyone's taste, but we think it is pretty cool. We have a canvas print that was the inspiration. Perfect example of a gift that was inexpensive yet thoughtful and meaningful.

photo couple.jpg

o

My family this past Christmas. Son Nickolas, daughter Amanda, DH and me. (We had our 32nd wedding anniversary this past May.) And our sweet dog Jack, he was 16 years old. He died less than a month later, on Jan. 13, 2013.

o

It is a hot day....perfect for pink lemonade with star shaped ice cubes.. The lemonade I bought wasn't quite tart enough so I added an extra squeeze of lemon.

o

My kitty, Toni Two-Toes (she's an assassin of small creatures, hence the mafia name and you can see her two white toes) was curled on the cushion next to me. I get up for a glass of wine and come back to find her in my spot! She vehemently protested moving :)
 photo IMG_4104_zps55918ae3.jpg

This post was edited by alex9179 on Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 23:10

o

Gosh, I wish my bras had cute little straps like Trailrunner's. Mine are all orthopedically large :(

o

Something a little different. My camera club went to an abandoned building today. Fascinating & colorful in its decay:
Taryywile 035b

o

gsciencechick Happy Anniversary :D

Toni Two-Toes does what my dog does the minute I move she takes my spot.

awm03 cool shot

Katlan sorry for your loss ours is 15 and had a bad year last year but seems to have bounced back for now.

So question of the day what makes lemonade Pink?

orthopedically large - mine are just large I should have been a flower child a bra burner at heart here I hate them.

o

Love,love all the everyday life photos. CL Blakley my Hugo has a ponytale. We have him cut short but have not wanted to take of the tail. He looks so cute with it. Now I should take a photo and show everyone the state of my home the day after the grill party. But Im too wain to do so. So Im getting of the computer to clean . Again love all the photos.

o

I offered to make breakfast for my 4 yo nephew. He wanted a bowl of strawberries and blueberries. To make sure I did it correctly (control freak!), he drew me a picture to copy.

o

Chipping sparrow nest in a small cedar tree in the front yard. I noticed it last evening when I was pulling weeds--it's only about 30" off the ground. The little chippies have such a hard time--building so low, they're at the mercy of feral cats, raccoons, and snakes.

o

Vacation winding down...last stop, Budapest....this is the view of the Danube from our hotel. Don't believe anyone...the Danube is green, not blue!

o

CL...I'm with you re bras! I know you're in cold country, but just know the bra was invented by a man--let's wrap women in spandex in 95 degree heat and 100% humidity!

o

First picking of raspberries this morning.
 photo smallDSC09843_zps9ba37321.jpg

o

All of the photos and stories continue to be so interesting and enlightening. What a treat to open this thread each day. I am trying to get the house together for the arrival of the kids and grand baby tomorrow. Got a vintage high chair...sort of chippy so not sure DIL is going to let me use it...we'll see...but it is very cool. I found a bargain on strawberries at the farmer's market....99 for 2# !! So I got 4# and cleaned them...I also made a bunch of kefir cheese and will use it in the lasagna that DH is making pasta for. Here are pics of the cheese and the strawberries.

The raspberries look LUSCIOUS !! Love the pic hh ...you need directing I am sure :) Annie that is such a pretty picture. I hope your trip has been wonderful. katlan...beautiful family. Kitties and puppies and bird nest, pink lemonade...that was interesting I did look it up !! You will have to look at Huffington Post and see if you believe the story LOL ! java you will have to report back on the menu and how it all went. gs...interesting portrayal . Our UU fellowship has a Day of the Dead service every year. it is always interesting the way they do the alter. awm...great photo..must be fascinating to be in a class with others interested in photography. lyfia...sweet ! dee...I love polka dots and pearls. I hope I got everyone.

Oh...the bras !! How could I forget ?! I have on a sports bra and the thin straps you see are the stretchy camisole top over it. Hard to tell in the photo . I have to wear the sports bra since the camisole is too see-thru...I for sure don't need a bra :) LIttle left to hold up LOL !

photo IMG_6366_zps51e1f9b1.jpg

homemade kefir cheese:

photo IMG_6365_zpsd1412f29.jpg

o

Never had kefir, but it looks interesting...where does one get kefir?

o

I am going to try real hard not to feel guilty to not comment on every pic. I don't want anyone to feel left out but when I miss one I feel guilty. All pics are amazing some will stir comments. Grain capitol of the British Empire 1939-1949

o

blakey: great pic !

I hope I haven't missed anyone too ! I love to comment and try to make notes on a paper ...OCD ...this has been the best thread. I hope all will keep coming back and we cont. to get new folks.

Hey Annie...you get the grains from someone. Then you follow the directions and you ferment it yourself. You can purchase a sorta of commercial Kefir in the grocery but it isn't as healthful as the real thing . The culture is way better for you than yogurt...has a lot more good things in it that aid your guts :) Also you never ever have to buy the culture grains again..they last a lifetime. Most people get theirs for free from someone. Ask around at your local health food store. I imagine someone is growing their own. All you do is let it set out extra long and it separates into whey/thick curds. You drain off the whey and cook with it and you press the curds and make cheese ! We eat it in everything and I bake with the whey. We make smoothies out of the kefir ..it has a slight fizz which is lovely. here is a link to more info. Do try it ...you will love it. c

Here is a link that might be useful: all you ever wanted to know about kefir !

o

Oh man, I KNYM about commenting on every single photo! There are so many and they are all, every one of them, beautiful in their own special way. The second one is new (yesterday), but the first one is DH and I from our 'road trip' on the motorcycle the week of the Fourth of July thru the North Carolina mountains and down to Greenville SC. This was at 'The Lazy Goat' in Greenville, one of the best restaurants.

photo 19bae8bb-f019-4686-9c86-b4875775342a_zpsc596bc09.jpg

The second is my DD Meredith, niece Sarah, DGD Mackenzie, and my great-niece, Collins at a 'Sip and See' put on in honor of Collins who is about 7 weeks old now. Lots of family and close friends there and it was definitely pass-the-baby time.

Meredith,Sarah,Mack,Collins-Jul13,13 photo DSCN1267_zps92030050.jpg

Trail, Thanks for these lovely threads. I know you're so thrilled to have your family coming 'home'. Is your son going to open a restaurant or work at another one in this area? I'm dying to know!!

This is OT, but Trail, you posted a pic of a hydrangea in the garden photos a few weeks back. It was a creamy white lacecap with bluish tones. Do you recall the variety? I have one that I planted several years ago that is identical and can't find the tag. Mine bloomed for the first time ever this year after I'd almost given up on it. Our hydrangeas were spectacular this year.

o

Love seeing everyone's photos. I only check every few days as I am pretty busy unpacking/moving in. I won't show the photos of boxes but it's not unlike the mid-packing photo Trail showed of her kids-- I am just working in reverse.

Here is my moment of recognition that most of my art is too small and/or not going to work. I have another huge pile of the framed art but what I am finding is that this house-- though small, wants BIG art. It may be time for me to put brush to canvas.

o

My tiny bottle collection. I recently moved it to the backsplash by the coffee maker and it made me smile this morning.

True life is lived when tiny changes occur.
~Leo Tolstoy

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

Since our floors won't be in until mid-August, I've been removing baseboards, sanding the ick off of them, and decided to paint our coat closet with a punchy color.

SW Hearts of Palm
 photo IMG_4105_zps6d2b3069.jpg

o

I hope you aren't getting tired of my weather pics. We've had some of the most spectacular sunsets this year, or maybe it's just that I am starting to appreciate them again. Last night's sunset reminds me of a lizard about to pounce on an astronaut (or a ghostbuster, for those who remember that movie). Everything above the dark line of the horizon is clouds--including the 'fin' on the lizard's back, and his prey. If you look closely in the middle of the pic, you can see the sun's pink rays. I'll post a better pic of the rays, taken a few minutes earlier.

o

2nd pic:

o

The last pic that I was able to take while the light was sufficient:

o

Bumper crop of apples last fall:
 photo IMG_2122.jpg

Relaxing by the lake
 photo IMG_0570.jpg

New Salem, North Dakota
New Salem Sue photo IMG_1089.jpg

o

What can I say? Even though DH and I split this wonderful slice of apple pie and ice-cream...we totally blew our diet. Ah...tomorrow is another day.
 photo pie.jpg

o

I was sitting on my deck enjoying the day when I noticed this guy looking at me from across the way.

o

Badgergal, how wonderful and whimsical!

I am enjoying all the photos, they are a rare glimpse into the lives of those we know only by their GW names.

Last night someone was looking particularly cute

My name is kswl and I am addicted to taking pictures of Mr. Fluffy.

o

trees with faces and clouds that have come to life !! What a thread this has been....puppies, pie, paint, pink toenails, bottles and art...love that lizard cloud !! And outside...you and your DH are handsome !! love the family pic too. And apple tree and the BIG cow.

We are trying to get ready for DS1 and DIL and grand baby. I started bagels yesterday and finished them this AM...

boiling:

photo IMG_6367_zps5c0f4e47.jpg

finished boiling for 40 seconds:

photo IMG_6368_zpse95f1c37.jpg

yum...see the blisters on the crust...that is from retarding in the fridge overnight. Ya'll are welcome to come for coffee and a bagel any morning...just give me a holler !

photo IMG_6369_zps46380269.jpg

o

Alas, our last night in Budapest...tomorrow we fly home. Sorry the vacation is over, but I'm ready to get back to my old routine...but it's going to be hard not having a full selection of eggs, fruits, pastries, etc etc for breakfast every morning...and you mean I'm going to have to make the bed!?!

Budapest at night...

o

I'm loving all this! I wish we could have a daily GoToMeeting.com dial in to talk about all these wonderful slices of life.

We took the grands to Weeki Wachee Springs to see the mermaid show, take a glass bottom boat ride, and pet the "pets". As a kid, WWS was where I went for summer camp because my aunt was a mermaid.

o

Just took this picture of my "baby" -- our 3 yo French bulldog who fell asleep in mid-play, apparently.

o

Great photos everyone!

It was husbands birthday, so I took him wine tasting in Solvang/Santa Ynez California.
We had a great time!

o

He climbed up in a dining room chair.....I turned around and there he was .......peeking at me over the counter.
He was so cute......I think I might just leave him....my entire estate.....even my new car!

o

I didn't know Weeki Wachee Springs was still there! I sure do remember those shows too when I was a kid. Love finding surprises in clouds (did that as a kid too and should do more of it now), and the big cow is cool! So is that lime green closet! Annie, welcome home...We know you had a lovely time.

o

Badly needed rain finally came to Central TX. I feel so cleansed!

o

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Mt. Rainier from our side of the water.

This post was edited by nan53 on Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 20:56

o

love all the pictures!!!

I cannot comment on all of them but I must make one special comment:

OUTSIDEPLAYING!!!! We ate there twice a couple of weeks ago. We stayed 6 stories right above where you were standing! We had a balcony overlooking the river!

Ok, update, got the word today--the car is a total loss. Moving on....started car shopping this past weekend.

Today's pictures:

My assistant. She really never answers the phone. I'm pretty sure anybody trying to get in without an appointment would be stopped at the door...

photo F306CA4E-4757-47D7-BF29-54C77DB9E952-794-000000FBAEA4BE07.jpg

And this is her after I say "Do you want to check the babies?" she starts scratching on the slider, pushes past me and runs to look through the cracks on the deck to see the robin and her babies that just hatched yesterday. They are about 8" below the deck boards.

photo 41BC1FDE-B07F-41F2-BD3E-3DDB84D7CC30-794-000000FBB7DD276A.jpg

and Oustideplaying, this is for you..

o

Went with the pooches out to the back yard and was nearly bowled over by the fragrance of dozens and dozens of stargazer lillies. I cut hust the few stalks that were falling over, and grabbed a bit of lavender that the dogs broke off in their exuberance.

I was going to put this in my bedroom but realized the scent would overwhelm

o

Love the sunset on the canal/river beautiful. :( about your car.

And here I thought that puppy was ordering breakfast.

Nan what lake is that and is there camping on or nearby I am starting to collect places to camp for when we get our new truck next year.

My single lone perennial peony this year no other buds and the other peony is still only 8 inches out of the ground

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 10:14

o

Here's mine for today.... DD (17) decided at 10:30 last night she just had to make a new brownie recipe, which required a trip to the grocery store (and somehow cost me $42 LOL). Of course I went with her because I get so few invitations to spend time with her anymore....So at 11 she starts in on her brownies.... And this morning, she's her usual rushing out the door self, with a quick, "Oh Mom, I didn't have time to make the ganache, can you please do it?" And then a few admonitions to make sure I do it EXACTLY like the recipe calls for.....
 photo IMG_1104_zps67d25e10.jpg

o

I have avoided the backyard for days as the sight of the backhoe and bobcats and the sound of jackhammers makes me almost physically ill. The patio was redone two years ago. That contractor made it look great, but sloped the new surface towards the house instead of away from it. We're now spending about ten grand to fix the drainage issues... The other company has gone out of business so there's no recourse. Welcome to my backyard--- for at least the next few days :-(

o

kswl are they going to be able to salvage the slab by lifting it or is it a complete redo. I find there really is no recourse when dealing with builders they can just close shop and open under a new name. Your yard looks fabulous though.

o

CL- that's Puget Sound. We are on Bainbridge. There is camping at Faye Bainbridge Park (no longer a state park). I like going there but I've never spent the night so I'm not sure if it's great for camping.

Beautiful peony!

o

They will be able to salvage the slab but we will have the drain running all the way around the patio with bricks on either side for more drainage. I am so OVER this!

The yard does look beautiful because it has rained for about two months! Of course, that is also why we are having so much trouble with the drainage. The grass hasn't been cut for two weeks... we have company coming at the end of next week... I am leaving Thursday for New York... work not finished.... ARrRrrrr! This is a slice of my life right now, but I am thankful it is just stuff out of whack and not our loved ones.

o

Everyone is here safe and sound. Dinner last night was great . Lasagna and homemade bread and lots of laughter. GB loves his "new" retro highchair and the lasagna ! We spent hours laughing and talking and "sittin on the po'ch " ! Just like old times....have been babysitting all day today and just got GB down for a nap...first time anyone has ever put him down except his Momma..he is 20 1/2 months old !! I am proud that it was only slightly hiccuping/crying/sobbing...and I tried to stop when it upset baby :) Love all the pics and the stories and the usual wonderful sharing that has characterized this thread. Anyone can start #4 when the time comes..don't wait on me !!

Here is a pic of dinner last night.Someone was moving in every pic...DIL is so funny ! c

photo IMG_6376_zpsa2d0a409.jpg

o

hey Trail! It's nice to see the baby, but what caught my eye (of course) is that Yueng is now available where you are! They are local brewery and it took a long time to spread out. I'm so out of touch, they are probably in all 50 states by now!

Glad to see everybody together

o

Trail, I am so incredibly happy for you that you now have your son, DIL and darling grandson close by!!! What a blessing that must be.
Lynn

o

Have you seen the "Pure Michigan" ads promoting tourism for Michigan? I love them because the scenes they show are the places I grew up in and the places I miss so much. We've just recently gotten back from our annual 11-days there on beautiful Lake Huron and I'm so missing my family and the lake. I took this pic of the view from our cottages down towards the lake and our beach with all of our beach chairs. Most afternoons, there's up to 50 of us down there, swimming, playing in the sand and enjoying our time together (this is just my parents, DH, DD & I, all my sibs and their families, including some grandbabies now). It's wonderful!
Lynn
Summer at the Lake photo S6_zps38ee3fdb.jpg

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 16:29

o

Hi Mustangs...I have the exact same picture (except of my grandkids) when we visited WW last year! We're hoping to get them up to Silver Springs before school starts.

Its important they see the places we loved as kids...right?

ML. (Cathy)

o

I look forward to each new picture that you add. Too many to comment, but I have looked at and enjoyed each one, along with your stories. Today was a banner day for me. For the first time ever, I cracked an egg and got two yolks!

Look, Ma, it's twins! (not quite as exciting as the previous ultrasound of twins) The big yolk is from a regular egg, for comparison.

o

Today's CSA basket!

o

DH has weekdays off instead of weekends. Today we took the kids to Galveston and visited the Railroad Museum, bought their Grandpa sugar-free candy bars for his birthday and a treat for themselves at the chocolate shop, had dinner and generally had a lovely afternoon. The rain came just when we were leaving.
I'm pic heavy on this one 'cause my kids are so dang cute :)

The drive in and seeing the marsh and a newly rehabbed house.
 photo IMG_4114_zps6242f624.jpg
 photo IMG_4116_zps4b2fb915.jpg

Eating at the restaurant with the evil birds laying in wait and our "lovely" Galveston water views. Ahhhh, the industrial park. Sooo thirsty!
 photo IMG_4118_zpsb608eb50.jpg photo IMG_4119_zps7ddd103a.jpg photo IMG_4126_zps550b9530.jpg photo IMG_4129_zps325e6448.jpg

The Moody Mansion on the way back home. photo IMG_4135_zps817116d2.jpg

o

Yes Dang cute!!

I am still having trouble with the 42$ brownies LOL

o

Yeah, how does THAT happen? Brownies at this house are bought on sale with a coupon :)

o

I was in this crowd of more than 44,000 people tonight

And watched this man perform for 2 hours and 45 minutes without taking a break or even a drink of water on a humid 85 degree night.

The concert was awesome. I can't believe Sir Paul McCartney is 71 years old and still performing at such an incredible level. This is the third time I have seen him perform and it was even better than previous concerts. Absolutely no lip syncing from this man.

o

I cannot tell you all how much I am enjoying all these pictures and comments-everyone has such beautiful kids, yards, houses (even when not 'perfect'!).

Last year at this time, I was in la Dordogne and breakfast in our gite was always tea, croissants, and fruit. At least I still have the tea today with a small remembrance of my favorite city.

o

Badger---saw JamesTaylor 2 years ago and he still has it too! Voice still intact---it was a great concert.

Alex---such cutie patootie kids!

o

Just received another letter from my pen-pal of 48 years. She is from a small island in Micronesia, her father was chief of the island. In junior high school, my class wrote to her class and we've continued our friendship. She remained single but is a favorite aunt and travels from family to family helping to raise their children. She has been a lifeline to my childhood. She writes in broken English but I love the way she writes, such as "our dog had 6 kittens." I have been able to find some of her family members on facebook and they have posted some current pictures of her 48 years later. I'm so lucky.
 photo shrue2.jpg

This post was edited by natesgram on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 12:44

o

Nate, Great that you have this lasting relationship!

The b&w picture reminded me of one that I recently scanned for our reunion. This is my HS cheerleader picture.
CHS Cheerleader photo image.jpg

o

I've been holed up in the (nice cool) basement for the past week or so and almost missed this whole post! I've really enjoyed looking at everybody's pictures and I absolutely love how all-over-the-map this post has rambled.

After nearly 7 months, our contractor is finally done with the construction portion of our newly finished basement. I always do all my own painting, so that's what I've been up to for the past week and a half...caulking, priming, painting and cleaning up lots of construction dirt and grime. Still lots to do. Very happy with how it's shaping up, and DH was THRILLED to be able to move back into his basement workshop. He spent all weekend putting it back almost exactly like it was before the project started.

So here's what my "slice of life" looks like today:
 photo DSC06189_zpsaa09e642.jpg
 photo DSC06190_zps0b5a047b.jpg
Door with window leads into the workshop...
 photo DSC06191_zpsbdc13c19.jpg
 photo DSC06192_zpsb730138f.jpg

Now I need to go search for parts 1 and 2 of this post!!!

o

Just spent some time with part 2...this might be my favorite series of threads ever. Thanks for starting it Trail. And CONGRATULATIONS baylorbear!!!!!

On the cooking forum (I'm only a lurker there) they have an ongoing thread of "what's for dinner?" and they post pictures of what they cooked for dinner the night before. I think we should make this slice of life thread an ongoing one...is anyone else game?

o

Mustangs---you gotta love ric-rac!

Arlos---beautiful basement!

o

Arlos, can you share the brand and wall color? I'm looking for something similar. Beautiful room.

o

natesgram, it's the color I've painted so many rooms in my house: BM Manchester Tan. I think this is room #6 for this color.

o

So, we find out mustangs is really Wonder Woman or am I the only one to see the resemblance to Lynda Carter? Beautiful, by the way, mustangs.

Trail - Why am I teary-eyed? It's your DS,DIL, and GS, not mine! How wonderful to have them close!

Last time I had $42 brownies, they were (ahem) "organic".

Here's my slice of life. We had our literature-themed party last night with 26 here. The photographer was late (she was forgiven as she brought her 6 mo old GS) and people said "no" to waiting for the food and drink. This is what was left from "great joints of meat, sucking pigs" (roast beef sandwiches and pork BBQ inspired by A Christmas Carol) and gin rickeys (inspired by The Great Gatsby). Other menu items were cheeses (The Hobbit), strawberries (Emma) and other fruits, chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting iced with "EAT ME" (Adventures of Alice in Wonderland) and "pickledgherkinssaladfrenchrolls" (The Wind in the Willows).

o

Loving all these photos, especially families and kids! Mustang, you look so sassy in that picture!

o

So many amazing photos. As arlosmom said I hope it will continue on in just the way it has so far. It is so nice to pop in and see what your friends and their families are doing. I think we have done a great job of keeping up with each other...just a photo away instead of a phone call :) This is very nice...and thank YOU java...what a sweet post.

We have had grand baby all day for the past couple days as they get their rental home prepared. He is such a treat and very easy to care for. DH and I walked to the local park this AM and spent 1 1/2 hrs exploring. We had a stroller for him but he insisted on walking part way home..all up hill ! He is his grandma's boy ! After his lunch and nap we chilled on the porch...

photo Image2_zpsc1bd7496.jpg

o

love all of these !! check it every day for new posts.

Badger gal, I totally agree. My son took me to see Sir Paul when he was in Tulsa for a belated Mother's Day. . . felt like I was 30 again (I'm almost 70). . .an incredible treat for a Mom and her 36 yr old son!!

Had my grandaughter for an extended visit. . . did lots of fun things that she loved including the Chihuly at the OKCMOA and the Science Museum. . .but I loved this pic of her feeding the giraffe at the Zoo. First time ever she has let me braid her hair!!

Thanks to everyone for your "slices of life"!!

o

kswl - What kind of contractor did you get to design the solution to your drainage problem? I have a (less profound) drainage problem caused by the landscape contractor, so I'm to reluctant to call in another landscape contractor. I don't know whom to call.

o

Since everyone seems to love babies. Here is my first grandchild's one month picture taken yesterday. My DD has a set of those month stickers and plans to photograph our little angel with the same headband and a white onesie for each month until she turn 1.

I haven't been commenting on all the pictures in these post but I must say I am thoroughly enjoying each and everyone

o

Okay, I can see I need to explain the $42 brownies!!! What happened was we went to a grocery store that is soon to close down... and they had their makeup 50% off, cereal at great prices, etc. So DD found lots of bargains....and THAT's what added up to $42!

o

Javachick, I hear you--- I was in the same boat. Two different people recommended a masonry company to do the work. They dug the trenches, cut out the patio, put in the drains, built back the pondless waterfall, and even put the sod back. We now have a river rock bed in our backyard where all the drains converge. They are almost finished and I will post pictures next week. I am hoping that when I get back from NY Sunday night that everything will all be back in place. Then we have to clean... I have someone coming to pressure wash everything to get rid of the thick layer of pink dust from cutting bricks.

o

With an amateur's pride, let me show you what I finished today. This is my latest hobby that came out of nowhere. As someone who has to suit up every day for work, I can't wear this stuff nor am I talented or dedicated enough to make it a serious pastime. I give it away to daughters of friends and other young women. Here is my project from earlier today.

This post was edited by nutsaboutplants on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 21:08

o

These threads are wonderful. I am enjoying so much. Trail, the photo of you and GS on the porch brought tears to my eyes. Actually, lots of them did. Thanks so much for sharing.

I've been going between a rental cottage with my mom (12 miles away but it makes her happy so we go), and starting a new job. Not a lot of time for photos. I'm pretty sure you all don't want to see the one that my son sent me today of the cat eating a baby bunny out on the deck today. Of course, the men didn't remove the carcass either.....

Love!

Beth P.

o

Bee, THANK YOU for the photo of the scene that I missed! It was a beautiful downtown area, but we didn't have time to go exploring up! We stayed outside the downtown area as we were closer to the Convention Center and visiting family also closer to Simpsonville. But we were downtown almost all day one day and could have stayed much longer. Loved that meal and also could have eaten at several other places we saw during our walk about.

To everyone else...keep the photos coming. Love your slices of life! Kids, grands, food, whatever!! Delightful!

o

Bestyears - I knew it had to be something like that LOL things jump into my kart too when my daughter goes with me. I just couldn't resist LOL.

Nice necklace Nutsaboutplants.

no photo today.......... summer cold :(

o

Still loving everyone's pictures!!

I was inspired by all the food pics! This is what I have for breakfast about five times a week! Love it!

photo IMG_7259_zps1a73d740.jpg

It's easy to put together too! You need a sliced banana, blueberries, sliced almonds, chopped pecans, shredded coconut, and I top it with almond milk. Yum!

Arlosmom, Thank you so much! :-)

o

Wonderful slices of life. Speaking of slices and speaking of the Cooking Forum where we take pictures of our food, this is what was left from my Butterfingers Cake.

o

I need to treat myself to an iPhone for my birthday so I can post more pictures. Honestly, in the last few days I've thought "that would be a cool photo for the slice of life thread" but I didn't have a way to take a picture.

If I'm sure she's not home, I might sneak over to my neighbor with my iPad and take a pic of her hydragena because they are deep, deep purple and gorgeous.

o

Such wonderful photos! I love this thread! I wished I could comment on each and every one, but then I would never be able to get anything done today ;)

I have always stared at these little seeds or berries or whatever they are on our cedar trees and have always admired their beautiful color. It is the perfect blue/green that I would love to capture throughout my home!

I finally picked some a few minutes ago and put them on a plate so I could take a photo and share it.

o

aktillery - my first thought was she is going to make gin.

Starting to pack for camping next week going to the Sunny Okanagan. Can't wait to try out my new 6 day cooler it is actually big enough I can pack ice. Our last cooler was puny. Anyone else tent camp?

o

Trail---I remember those after-nap cuddles with my kids....just great!

Badger and Cheri--darling girls!

CL--happy camping...I admire those who do it. I'm a city girl and for me camping is a fate worse than death! Drop me off at the Marriott on your way to the forest. I think it was Jerry Seinfeld who summed up his views on camping--"why would you WANT to live like a homeless person?! LOL.

o

The fantastic photos continue !! I want that cake :)

Blakey...we tent camp all the time. I have posted lots of pics on here. And on my bike trips I camp every night for 2 months at a different site...I have a small trailer to pull behind my bike. Here is a pic of how my site looks when I am "on the road". I hope you will post pics of your camp too !

me with my trailer riding through the desert:

photo 0426100945-00.jpg

my camp...every night a different site..all the comforts of home...but no cooler !

photo 0317101720-00.jpg

o

Trail, your son could be my husband's brother. They look just alike!

Speaking of DH, he informed me this morning that I have paper product "issues." I wonder what he's talking about?

o

I don't see a sign "Please don't squeeze the Charmin" so nope no issues LOL

Trail my camp is embarrassingly full of comforts when we don't back pack. 7 inches of foam(1-3" and 1-4") queen size mattress with sheets in a humongous tent. Pretty Posh for tent camping LOL

o

Kellyeng, I am so jealous!! I love paper products and would love to have a full cabinet like that! I might have to make a Target or Sam's club run tonight! ;-)

o

LOL Kelly!
Arlosmom, thanks for the paint color. I'll have to get a sample.

Camping in the back of the station wagon and tent days are over for us. Here is our version of camping now. This is right on the sand at Jalama Beach in California several months ago.
 photo IMG_0031.jpg

o

I wish I had a spare cabinet for paper products! Jealous!

My 10-minute craft project for the week (maybe for the summer). I bought this tray for $2 at a yard sale. It had a brown frame and the bottom of the tray was brown burlap. I spray painted it black and found this cute fabric for the bottom in my DD's stash of craft supplies. Now it's on the kitchen table holding a wire napkin basket and a plant. (Took the napkin holder out so you can see the fabric.)

o

I'm being stalked!
 photo IMG_4148_zps7ba5d1f8.jpg

o

Kelly, glad to see that you use Viva papertowels, I swear Viva saved my life one day. lol.

My DIL sent me this pic of my GD, it was an "Awww" moment. She was on the patio and was told to stay out of the ash bucket from the fireplace. I don't think she did by looking at the evidence all over her. :)

photo IMG_7327_zpseba772db.jpg

o

Alex and Oakley---too cute---takes me back!

o

These threads are just so much fun! I'm so enjoying everyone's pictures and "slices". Thanks, TR for creating them!

aktillery, I had some cedars outside my dr window that made those berries at the old house and came across a fabric that blended perfectly with the greens and blues. I really loved bringing those colors inside. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures.

o

I am enjoying all the pics too !! I appreciate all the great comments...if it wasn't for this wonderful forum this thread would have never taken off as well as it has. I am glad you all like it so much.

We are having very full days. Baby is still staying here with his Mom and Dad . They go all day long and get their place organized and DH and I take care of baby. Yesterday I used their car and had baby with me to do errands. It was so fun. Here is a pic of our Krogering !!

photo Image6_zps67d62532.jpg

o

The only time it is safe to sleep and drive.

o

Swim clinic with Olympic Medalists David Walters and Christine Marshall this morning. Great instruction and motivation by these two outstanding athetes. Healthy habits, goal setting, hard work- lessons even 40 somethings need to be reminded of from time to time! The medals my daughter is wearing are the real thing!

o

haha..blakey...he is looking down at his feet !! Trying to figure out how to make it go FAST ! He honked the horns all the way through the store. Here is a pic from this AM at the park...

photo Image7_zpsf6d69b45.jpg

o

This is the first thread I check. :) My picture for today... Piglet.

DS (4) insisted that I bring him to my other home aka work to keep me company.

o

Love, love all of your pics! Here is one I took of the Sabinal River in Utopia over July 4th weekend. We love it there. Spring-fed, crystal clear water.

o

OH Texan...I have a bunch of pics of our campsite in the Lost Maples area when I did my 2010 bicycle trip ! We loved that area. So beautiful and what hills ! Great pic. c

o

Such cuteness and beauty above, lovely slices of life.

My harsh reality for today: after working out and feeling good about myself, I decided to cook dinner ahead of time and I tried out a new chicken recipe and this is what happened. I salvaged the chicken though.
My rice casserole turned out all sticky and gummy, to the trash it went.
I cleaned the kitchen and proceeded to clean the glass dining room table, I used stainless cleaner by mistake and got the table all oily, I had to pour a cup of vinegar to remove all the oil.

I'm still smiling, it's a beautiful day, I am too blessed to be stressed.

o

Burning supper is the perfect opportunity to take the night off and go out instead. I try not to burn supper at regular intervals but sometimes it just can't be helped LOL.

o

I worked from home today and this afternoon the dogs were being loud, so I shut them out of my office. When I went back out, I found that the sofa pillows had all been absconded with and were in various places. Our little guy doesn't get them down, but once they're down, well . . . this is where I found the last pillow. And him. And the cat keeping him company.

photo 2_zps3d62bb0b.jpg

o

Javackik, I was beginning to think I was the only one! mustangs, searched cooking forums here with no success - MUST have recipe for butterfinger cake. I am having surgery soon and I get to eat anything I want, whenever I want - like a child I am -and I want that, so please point me to the recipe. TYIA. Lynn fr CT

o

Trail, I love the way your GS is holding his fingers in the air as he slides. Very sweet.

Here is a an editorial cartoon I bought at a charity auction a couple years ago. I am a great library lover and this cracks me up every time I see it. It's by Tony Auth.

o

Lynn, I think I found your cake.

Here is a link that might be useful: butterfinger cake

o

Ded, love the cartoon. I may try to find a copy online to hang in my classroom!

I am also checking this thread regularly. Best ever! Thanks Trail.

o

Thanks Natesgram for posting the link for Lynn, I hope your surgery goes well.

The adjustments that I made (and posted in the link from the Cooking Forum) made for an impressive picnic dessert. It was easy but I didn't tell our picnickers.

o

All the pics and stories are so great. This is the most interesting thread on GW ! We sure are a diverse group and yet our sense of humor and adventure and desire to share binds us all together. I am so glad everyone wants to continue the thread. Here are 2 pics....3 generations:

grand baby and grandpa making pasta together:

photo Image10_zps9aea5ec6.jpg

our son " chef" at work in our kitchen...just like old times: he made the shrimp dish that went over the pasta :)

photo Image4_zpsc39bfca5.jpg

o

Trail-love the pics of your grand, he is so precious. Does your son have a new restaurant?

o

Hey Texan...I will link below. It is the facebook page for the new restaurant. It is here in Auburn AL...10 min from us. If you scroll down to June 8th you will see the announcement and an explanation of what he will be doing. All the butchering and charcuterie for the restaurant with a plan to open his own shop in the future. He won't be cooking anymore but this is his new interest. As an aside my Dad was a butcher at one point in his life in the late 30's-40's. Our son has his grandpa's knives and an apron so it is pretty special. Thank you for asking. c

Here is a link that might be useful: Acre restaurant Auburn AL

o

Don't you wish we could go on a cross country tour visiting our newly expanded friendships? We have frequent get togethers with Cooking Forum members; at last count I was up to meeting 33 members.

Blakey is soooo cute coming down the slide, he looks like he is on a mission.

Here is lunch, lettuce wraps and ham and bean soup.

o

Yeah, and I ALMOST stayed with Mustangs last winter when I was hankering for a Florida vacation. Cathy, you were an adorable cheerleader.

I love the picture of the little girl standing in the corner with the ashes all over her toosh.

o

Hey Trailrunner - any bagels leftover? I our way to Gulf Shores for vacation.

We saw Sir Paul 4 years ago and he rocked it out! He is superb.

o

Sweet lady Caroline, I just have to say that you are the picture of life! There's a commercial deal out there somewhere for you, they just haven't taken the right road to find you!!

What a really enjoyable thread!! Flowers, fauna, and food, oh my~life don't get much better than that! Keeping it real is food for the soul. There's nothing like the fun that summer brings, heat and all. Keep the bug spray, sun screen, and a cold bottle of 'something' close by, we still have a couple of months to go! ;o)

o

Who's having twins?! I need to go back to the last Slice thread and catch up!

Love seeing all the babies, toddlers, trips, flowers and animals. The lizard/Ghostbusters clouds were great!

Y'all will think I'm weird, but I'm posting a picture of a toad that was on the front veranda last night. It's an American Toad. He's a gorgeous copper color, so perfect with the flagstone and downspouts! lol It's the first time I've seen a toad this color and size, and we've been here 7+ years. He posed for the camera (which took horrible pictures with the lighting) and the iPhone without batting an eye. I may never see him again after putting him through all that plus taking the two dogs out!

o

We used to have get togethers on Kitchens. Cat_Mom organized one in Manhattan in 2007 and we had 13 of us at lunch and shopping and Union Sq afterwards. She had one more after that and I couldn't make it. We don't get up to NYC like we used to. My DH and I have gone to WA and met up with Rhome and her DH...we actually all got together 2 times in one week ! It was great. Perhaps we need to try it here on Deco. Mustangs that is a very impressive number 33 !!

Love the puppies on the pillows and the food pics and the cartoon ! Motherof3sons...what time ?? I have bagels !! Thank you patty sweet compliments.

This is what I was watching out of my sitting room window last evening. So beautiful. c

photo IMG_6384_zps08e26683.jpg

I just scrolled through part ll...there were several pics that I missed. Betty's birds and a pic of Venice/boats were two. So many moments shared. Please link to this part lll when you start part lV. That way they won't get lost.

Here is a link that might be useful: slice of life 2 link

o

Pre-dinner glass of wine on the deck of our house in Brewster. We spent the week there during the heat wave-perfect!

o

Double

This post was edited by motherof3sons on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 10:35

o

The stone says, "Welcome to My Garden" in Italian. Whichever critter left this message is right. My veg garden DOES look like crap right now.

photo 100_4835.jpg

o

trailrunner, I haven't taken pictures in the last few days, but I just want to add my thank you for these threads. I've enjoyed all the pics, and glimpses into each GW member's life.

Love your sky pic.

o

C, there were a total of 4 get-togethers, and you were at three of them! I have photographic evidence! :-)

First one was at Nice Matin (sp?)

GW NYC Get-Together 6-08 at Nice Matin photo GWNYCget-together6-08.jpg

Dessert! photo dessert.jpg

Second one was at Blue Water Grill

Table shot photo Tableshot.jpg

Greenmarket photo Greenmarket.jpg

Third one (which your DH was also at!) was also at Blue Water Grill

Robert and Caroline photo IMG_1015.jpg

Fourth one (the one you didn't make) was at Spice Mkt.

photo IMG_4393.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here