Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorishopaholic

Lighting for kitchen island - suggestions please!

lorishopaholic
9 years ago

I am wanting to change the lighting over our kitchen island. I posted in the kitchen forum but haven't got any input so I thought I would try here. I have received great suggestions on my other posts in the past.

I want to stick with two lights and I am thinking maybe lanterns? I would love any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (25)

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another view

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wondering about something like this.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Are you wanting more of a statement? Are you needing more light? What are your issues with your present fixtures? What style are your other light fixtures, I am wondering what your style is like?

• teacats
    9 years ago

Maybe this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: LP -- outdoor hanging lantern

• missymoo12
    9 years ago

Yes to your choice but I would go bigger. Beautiful kitchen.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Another possible lantern ......

Here is a link that might be useful: LP -- another lantern

• teacats
    9 years ago

Possible lantern from Bellacor ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor -- lantern

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

IMO, the lanterns look too outdoorsy.

How about two of these, on dimmers?

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: mini chandeliers

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i think they might look nice, although the curved top reminds me a little of a pagoda, so i would probably look for something with straighter lines...
    i love the little cabinets next to your cooktop- they must be great for spices, oils, etc!!

• teacats
    9 years ago

Perhaps this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor -- elegonated bell pendants

• teacats
    9 years ago

..... and now for something different ..... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor -- different kind of pendant lighting

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arcy- I am just wanting them to make more of a statement. The current ones are just blah to me. Teacats- I love the last one you posted! Different and pretty. I need something that will blend with the rest of the lighting since it is a open floor plan and I think those just might work. Here is a pic of the lighting over the kitchen table.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Really like teacats's elongated bell pendants.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is another direction I could go. I love a little bling but is this too much?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Colors of this one would go well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper mini

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Switch the table chandy out for the bling chandy and the island pendants for the glass bells; the glass of the bells will compliment the bling of the chandy.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Lots of Lantern styles here

Here is a link that might be useful: Capecod Lanterns

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still not sure what to go with.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I'm tired of the lantern look. It seems to be the default light. You've got a unique hood so I wouldn't distract from it with elaborate lights, nor would I interfere with the window view from the other direction. I like an open metal look more than a glass shade with your wood cabinets. Keep looking!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I too feel the lantern look does not work inside. To coordinate you need to look for a fixture with the glass or the metal the same as you dining fixture. It may be easier to think about replacing them all as Tribbix suggests. Bling is fun, but the more sparkle the more dust and grime they collect. Have you looked for bigger glass? Many stores sell just the "globes". There are some real "art" pieces out there.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a photoshop of lantern pendants.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Keep in mind that the bare bulbs of the lanterns will be more glaring to the eye than those filtered by the glass shades. This was a big factor for my gf who suffers frequent migraines.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Just do not think the lanterns look good. Too clunky; too outdoors looking.

Your island chairs are beautiful, as is the island. They both have an elegance to them combined with a rusticity.

Maybe something like this:

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aktillery-thank you for the photo that helps so much! I think the laterns look to bulky but maybe a more open design would look better. I found these but are they too contemporary for the kitchen? I wonder if I fabric shade would help soften all the wood of the kitchen. They have some without the metal detail if that might be too busy.

• lorishopaholic
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or something like this in bronze?

Sponsored
VA Exteriors, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Family Owned & Operated Exterior Construction Experts