Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting for kitchen island - suggestions please!

Posted by lorishopaholic (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 13:59

I am wanting to change the lighting over our kitchen island. I posted in the kitchen forum but haven't got any input so I thought I would try here. I have received great suggestions on my other posts in the past.

I want to stick with two lights and I am thinking maybe lanterns? I would love any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting for kitchen island - suggestions please!

Another view

o

Wondering about something like this.

o

Are you wanting more of a statement? Are you needing more light? What are your issues with your present fixtures? What style are your other light fixtures, I am wondering what your style is like?

o

Maybe this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: LP -- outdoor hanging lantern

o

Yes to your choice but I would go bigger. Beautiful kitchen.

o

Another possible lantern ......

Here is a link that might be useful: LP -- another lantern

o

Possible lantern from Bellacor ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor -- lantern

o

IMO, the lanterns look too outdoorsy.

How about two of these, on dimmers?

Here is a link that might be useful: mini chandeliers

o

i think they might look nice, although the curved top reminds me a little of a pagoda, so i would probably look for something with straighter lines...
i love the little cabinets next to your cooktop- they must be great for spices, oils, etc!!

o

Perhaps this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor -- elegonated bell pendants

o

..... and now for something different ..... :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bellacor -- different kind of pendant lighting

o

Arcy- I am just wanting them to make more of a statement. The current ones are just blah to me. Teacats- I love the last one you posted! Different and pretty. I need something that will blend with the rest of the lighting since it is a open floor plan and I think those just might work. Here is a pic of the lighting over the kitchen table.

o

Really like teacats's elongated bell pendants.

o

Here is another direction I could go. I love a little bling but is this too much?

o

Colors of this one would go well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Copper mini

o

Switch the table chandy out for the bling chandy and the island pendants for the glass bells; the glass of the bells will compliment the bling of the chandy.

o

Lots of Lantern styles here

Here is a link that might be useful: Capecod Lanterns

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still not sure what to go with.

o

I'm tired of the lantern look. It seems to be the default light. You've got a unique hood so I wouldn't distract from it with elaborate lights, nor would I interfere with the window view from the other direction. I like an open metal look more than a glass shade with your wood cabinets. Keep looking!

o

I too feel the lantern look does not work inside. To coordinate you need to look for a fixture with the glass or the metal the same as you dining fixture. It may be easier to think about replacing them all as Tribbix suggests. Bling is fun, but the more sparkle the more dust and grime they collect. Have you looked for bigger glass? Many stores sell just the "globes". There are some real "art" pieces out there.

o

Here is a photoshop of lantern pendants.

o

Keep in mind that the bare bulbs of the lanterns will be more glaring to the eye than those filtered by the glass shades. This was a big factor for my gf who suffers frequent migraines.

o

Just do not think the lanterns look good. Too clunky; too outdoors looking.

Your island chairs are beautiful, as is the island. They both have an elegance to them combined with a rusticity.

Maybe something like this:

o

Aktillery-thank you for the photo that helps so much! I think the laterns look to bulky but maybe a more open design would look better. I found these but are they too contemporary for the kitchen? I wonder if I fabric shade would help soften all the wood of the kitchen. They have some without the metal detail if that might be too busy.

o

Or something like this in bronze?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here