Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Photos of your personal/home style

Posted by dinobambino (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 13:47

I think it would be fun to see rooms from each persons own personal style. There is another thread going now that shows our inspiration styles or styles that we like but may not be able to incorporate into our own homes for now due to cost, function, etc.

Would love to see photos of rooms that you've personally decorated.

here's a link to some of my spaces.

http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/dinobambino/sgallery.esi

This post was edited by dinobambino on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 13:49

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Photos of your personal/home style

My living room

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 14:06

o

other angle

o

My dining room, with buffet made from reclaimed wood from a barn on the property, made by my father:

o

And my bedroom, which was once a barn! Blue walls…love blue walls in bedrooms; can't see it, but it's very barn-like furniture, two dressers and side tables.

o

I had no idea Rate My Space was still out there. Love your outdoor area and small pond.

What a pretty home, Tibbrix.

I think everyone is sick of my kitchen, so won't post it.

Master Bedroom

Master Bath

Lower level den

Main level guest room

Lower level guest rooms

Main level laundry room

Dining Room

Great Room

Christmas

o

allison, your house is beautiful. I love your MBR. It's nothing like anything in my house or how I would envision my perfect bedroom. Yet, when I see it I think, yes, that room would make me very happy.

o

Tibbrix, I love your house. It is so calmly peaceful and serene. A work of art.
Alison, I think you know I adore your home. I would never tire of that house, never in 9 lifetimes, even if I am a cat.

o

Living room, temporarily. The final living room will probably be a different room and this will be a dining room/sitting room. This was when we moved in, we just painted everything white.

o

TY, Patricia.

o

Living Room

Dining Room

Library

Master bedroom

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-Mqhfxh3/0/S/i-Mqhfxh3-S.jpg

Laundry

Kitchen

My Home Office

Downstairs

Outside

This post was edited by kswl on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 6:02

o

I've made some changes to most of the rooms since some of these photo's were taken but this is the general idea.

Library:

photo library.jpg

Kitchen:

photo kitchen3.jpg

photo kitchen1.jpg

photo kitchen4.png

photo kitchen7.jpg

Living room

photo livingroom.jpg

Dining Room:

photo diningroom.jpg

Entry:

photo door-1.jpg

Master Bedroom:

photo masterbedroom.jpg

Basement: (work in progress)

photo basement.jpg

Outdoor spaces:

photo patio.jpg

photo outdoor.jpg

photo pond.jpg

This post was edited by dinobambino on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 19:20

o

Dino, what is the paint color on the walls of your foyer?

o

It's Sherwin Williams Sanderling #7513

o

Allison
Can you tell us about the prints on the wall in your bathroom? They are beautiful, and remind me of some I have from Germany.
Thanks!

o

What lovely homes everyone! We are certainly in good hands when we seek advice on this thread - thanks for sharing!

o

Alison, Tribbix, kswl, Dinobambino - your homes are stunning! Alison, do you have more pics of your kitchen? I am jealous of your laundry room.

I love everyone's Christomas decorations.

Palimsest - for a temporary living room, it is gorgeous! I really like the chairs and wall color. Cant wait to see pics of your finished house.

I think most of you have seen mine, but here's a link with some pics:

Here is a link that might be useful: mcm home

o

Thank you, Linelle. It's a very soothing room with various pieces used around our last house. Only the bed and bench were bought new.

Thanks, Patricia. :)

Thank you, Junco. I have many European etchings, lithographs, a few prints and a beautiful watercolor all over the house. No idea how many. Most have water, bridges, cottages, street scenese or other interesting architecture (cathedrals, gates). This is the back (and only) stairway where leftovers, then new additions went... I have room for a few more! (Ignore the dog/baby gate folded over to the left, opened to take the photo.)

I also selected eight photographs and had framed for our lower level hallway. I could look at the details texture of the buildings for hours. It's an illness!

They were purchased over time at local antique stores, eBay, Etsy or when traveling. Most of the smaller ones were bought already framed, but all of the larger ones were not. I spent three weeks traveling in Europe with DD2 when I was 40yo. DH said it was the most expensive trip ever - my taste was refined a bit and I hunted (shopped) the next 10 years.

Pal, your things look great anywhere.

o

Rockybird, thanks! Here are more pictures, linked below. I had a dank, dark and dreary unfinished basement laundry area for 20+ years. I told DH this one was going to be pretty!! We call it mine (shared with the cats), with a second one with larger w/d in a large storage room on the lower level... called DH laundry room. I refuse to call it a basement since it is open on three sides, has high ceilings and nice finishes, with a fantastic view of the lake and ridge. It is nothing like the underground basement in our last house!

Here is a link that might be useful: More kitchen photos

This post was edited by allison0704 on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 21:15

o

I'm so happy to see so many 'complete' views of GWer's homes! I love it! So many beautiful spaces!

Pictures aren't the best quality but here goes:

My LR:

photo 20140419_094203_zpswiod5ovq.jpg
 photo 20140419_094827_zpsgtwy7amo.jpg
 photo 20140419_091222_zpswgi9fpgw.jpg
 photo 20140419_091330_zpsuommelbq.jpg
 photo DSCN0077.jpg

Dining Room in Progress
 photo Hutch.jpg
 photo Sign.jpg

Mudroom
 photo 8_zps2f08d808.jpg
 photo 7_zps59fa2c2e.jpg
 photo 2_zps0c8597e8.jpg

Boys Room
 photo 20130914_142538_20130914161850180_zpsad25fadf.jpg
 photo 20130914_141737_20130914161643481_zpsafdba5b7.jpg
 photo 20130914_152845_20130914161539574_zps387b3c5e.jpg

Office/ Reading/ Game Room
 photo 1656374_661660713880386_1590640565_n_zpsf2dbe7a0.jpg

In Process
 photo FireplaceII.jpg

Entry/ Center Hall
 photo IKEATreeCanvas.jpg

This post was edited by TheFoxesPad on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 22:50

o

Loving all these photos as well! Foxes Pad, i could live in your office/game room, it is wonderful and historic and supremely liveable and I just love it!

Dino, love your backyard, it is gorgeous! And I never tire of Alison's beautiful home!

This post was edited by kswl on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 22:32

o

Damn, I get to follow all these fabulous homes. Sure, this is mine. Snort! Cough, cough.

This post was edited by voila on Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 22:53

o

::: eye roll :::

Big deal, Voila. Everyone knows turrets are so "out"!

o

Waow. People who post around here must be in a league all of their own. Obviously the types who love to have "pampered" and "pristine" homes.
I guess so...otherwise they wouldn't be on the Home forum. :-)

When you look on Realtor, it is usually pretty bad; and that includes relatively large and expensive houses.
Poor decorating, huge walls without adequate furniture on them, misplaced things, tiny pictures on large walls, a sensation that I wouldn't want to live there if you paid me. It also seems as if many people buy as much house as they can afford and then they are left without any money to adequately furnish the place. And when children are present, you can SO tell.

By contrast all these pictures here are just beautiful.

I don't have any handy and our house is not large, but I love it because it has a traditional style, it is all furnished, and my grandfather's art collection is on the walls. And that's all I care about. :-))

o

This was my living room in my last house. I have to mention the couch was a cheap purchase for staging only It was super uncomfortable and I would not use it in my living situation. We are in a rental now, so I do not really like our decor as much.

o

Begonia, I hear you. My absolute, by far, without any doubt, no competition, favorite things in my house are the buffet in the dining room and the master bathroom mirror, because not only were they made from reclaimed barn wood from an1880s stable I had to have torn down when I bought the place, but they were made by my father - priceless, needless to say. Also, the gold chair in my living room (in desperate need of reupholstering!); that was my grandfather's chair. I would sit on his lap in that chair when I was a tot. I loved it then too! And the antique pedestal dining room table, which was given to me by a friend, Alice, who is the "Alice" from Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" and the movie of the same name. so, a little cult Americana there! She's a hoot! Unfortunately, it was missing the leaves when she gave to me, so I had to make two myself. A LOT harder than it should have been

The few items I bought retail also happened to be among my least favorite. "They just don't make stuff like they used to."

o

KSWL, Dinobambino, what absolutely lovely homes and exterior homes. Beautiful grounds and landscaping.

Pal, I like the way your house is going. I think you have great style.

o

Holy cow, these rooms are fabulous! I think we need to publish a book, Homes of GW! Seriously!!

o

I wish we had a 'Like' button so that I could just go like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like,like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like, like.........

o

I agree! I love photo posted!

o

Akillery, I remember that fabulous window treatment from your previous home--- wasn't it a condo you eventually sold? Those windows probably sold it for you! Window treatments are expensive but the right one does more for a room than almost anything else, IMO.

o

Such gorgeous homes, so well done...each looks like a magazine article. I have to admit that I love foxes' eye for vignettes. But what I especially love is how each home is styled so differently and yet so well done. Individually, the style is predominant, but as a series, the style becomes less relevant and the underlying core principles of good design become more apparent as they appear and reappear in these rooms that are so well balanced for massing, color, shapes, and light.

Well done all!

I love the idea of a book of homes of the GW! I think it would sell well and be a great educational tool, it would be a wonderful source for creative design ideas, and it would give courage to other homeowners that, as Christopher Lowell says, "You can do it!" (We should get him to edit it!) It would certainly help drive traffic to GW too. The proceeds could go to something like habitat for humanity. And just think what great fun it would be pulling it together!

o

So this is why I will never post photos of my home. So many beautiful homes! All very individual as well. Personally, I love Foxes Pad's home, there is such drama in the simplicity of it, and I love the contrast in the light walls and dark ceilings.
No wonder people come here to get help with the talent displayed on this board.

o

I would buy the book for charity, but it might be easier to do a calendar. If we really wanted to raise money, we could have decorators bid on/ buy a month/page to show their spaces, and then sell the calendar as well.

And for those who didn't want to buy a whole month/picture, we could buy a décor-related message or note on a particular day -- "Jamies' screen porch opening day", or "Annie's bedroom chair reveal".

o

Katrina, I am sad to hear you won't ever post pictures of your home. I thrive on variety and diversity--I get something positive out of every single home I see.

I hope you will reconsider. Remember that it can just be a nook or corner that makes you smile. I like the way Soule Mama (link below) thinks of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Corners of My House

o

I agree with anele...I too would love to see pics of your home...it's not about perfection, it's about what you love.

I've been in many homes that were far afield from "magazine ready" but have enjoyed every one for what it says about the homeowner, what they love and what they find important. I remember the surprise at seeing GF's house and how much it changed from pre grandbaby to post grandbaby...suddenly there was a high chair, toys, sippy cups and little shoes in the house....clearly a huge change in priority for her!

o

Everyone has such gorgeous homes! I love seeing everyone's personal styles and find things I love inside and outside each home. Definitely some talent here and I think a coffee table book or calendar for charity is a great idea. I would personally prefer a book; I think I might get tired of looking at the same picture of someone's bathroom for a month, but that's just me.

And I am with Katrina; I think I may be too intimidated to post photos on this thread. I love my little house and think it reflects my style, but it definitely is not of the same caliber as what I am seeing posted here.

I am going to try to get some pics today some time and at least follow anele's suggestion and maybe just capture a nook. Or maybe I should start a new thread - "photos of your personal/home style for the not so talented"?

This post was edited by peacamp on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 10:51

o

Begonia, that's known as being "house poor." I once went to a garden club function - lovely downstairs. Went up to see the children's room; mattresses on floor, no chairs, no bookcases... everything was on the floor. That said, when we bought our first home we had a newborn and a 2yo. Didn't buy LR furniture for two more years, after #3 came along. We weren't house poor, but had other things set as a priority. I've noticed the same when looking at real estate - DH currently want to build another home, so I've been looking at current listings also. So many homes that haven't been updated in decades. But everyone is not a house person, so you have to look past it. I'm an extremely neat person, so if DH is not around the house is picked up.

Like Tibbrx, we have many pieces that have been with us for a long time and mean a lot. Several traveled around the last house and we are using in different rooms now than then - MBR armoire was in the LR, chest used in the foyer. Always good to have/buy multi-funcational pieces. The pie crust table on my side was my maternal grandmothers. The den coffee table was a kitchen table. I had DH cut down the legs - has a drawer so it was perfect with three children to hide crayons, remotes, etc. The top is perfectly distressed by their little hands that now have little hands of their own.

I had horses while growing up, and we live in a horse community, so they are a part of our home. Same with dogs and anything outdoors. I'm drawn to things from nature (antlers, porcupine quill boxes, birds, butterflies), texture (leather, beaded and woven boxes, rugs, fabrics), chairs (I am a chair-aholic) and European etchings. If something catches my eye I almost always reach out and touch, so when in museums I usually have to hold my hands behind my back when studying. I've gotten so close to Albert Bierstadt’s massive and commanding canvas, Looking Down Yosemite Valley that belongs to our local museum of art, that the security guard started walking over.

I've enjoyed seeing everyone's home. Hope more will posts pictures.

This post was edited by allison0704 on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 10:57

o

Annie, exactly--I enjoy them all for the same reasons.

Peacamp, the fact that you love your home makes me even more excited to see it. I am always "in progress," slowly moving and not at the point where I love my home. (Vision not reality, esp due to $.) Loving your home is a gift. Don't let any pics of others' homes make you hesitate to post what you love.

o

Pal, your LR reminds of the the LR of an architect I used to work for. Interesting!

Ditto to Tib's 'Like like" reply. lol.

I'm just going to post one picture, which many have already seen before. This is one of my favorite rooms in the house.

This is the utility room which used to be part of our old LR. It has everything I could possibly need in the room, plus the large windows and counter, which I use for plants and not folding clothes. Who wants to do *that?* :)

photo IMG_1079.jpg

o

So many of my favorite homes!

Library:
 photo 425AFD81-DD0B-4C3F-ADD9-15DCA480C3CA_zpsppgbkskg.jpg

Basement :
 photo fb7241e2e3360069ad7b68ba1e18ce3f_zps1368f9df.jpg

Family room:
 photo DSC_3254_zps61f0007b.jpg

photo DSC_3261_zps739d8ad5.jpg

Master bathroom:
 photo DSC_2476.jpg

Master bedroom :
 photo F8F05B26-257D-49DB-B238-F50614A94A25-6010-0000043172ACCD56_zpsbfcaacaa.jpg

Outdoors:
 photo 4A2EEBEA-3424-4992-8D57-1A82B32A0FD4-2057-000001CA4E015FA5_zps856b30d0.jpg

o

Wow, How fun to see everyone's unique decorating styles. I love them all. Like someone said in a previous post. I find something in every persons style that I love or would use in my home.

Keep the photos coming!

o

Oak, love the floor of your utility room!

o

A few random faves most of you have seen before... I have an album somewhere i cant find.

My favorite. Back of the house from the gardens on the far side of the pond. Most of this we can take no credit for. We added the middle section and the greenhouse to the left, dormers over the windowed DR.

DSC00434 photo DSC00434.jpg

front of house, all new
 photo DSC02848_zps53cd6bfc.jpg

photo e5bba18c.jpg

stone house
 photo DSC06936.jpg

photo DSC00422_zps77e160a5.jpg

photo 7b52cf01.jpg
 photo 176823ad.jpg

photo photo87_zps0c2d14b1.jpg

photo DSC04828_zpsc368cc7a.jpg

photo DSC04829_zps50f199cc.jpg

photo da0f4b38.jpg

o

mtrd..All I can say is WOW!

o

My dream is to have a pool exactly like that, Mtn.

Never gonna happen, though. :-(

o

Thank you. Mother Nature gets any credit.

Meant to add, I love seeing all the homes. Especially perhaps since it is mostly our own designs. All the different styles and touches. The details!

As for relative grandeur, it's like they say " do not compare yourselves with others for there will always be those lesser and greater". Some of my very favorite GW projects are the shoestring ones... They are typically the most creative and interesting . I do hope everyone shares what they love.

o

Wow is right. Love all of the pics from you talented bunch! Hate my multi posts, so only a few. First two demonstrate my most
crucial need: seeing nature ( trees!!!) from my windows. If I lived in Manhattan, I'd choose a lesser apartment to be on a treed street.
First one is why we bought here: autumn leaves in So. Ca. Yes!
Apologize again for multi posting. :(

o
RE: personal/home style

Winter View from the back .

o
RE: Photos of your home

Lots and lots of books.

o

How do you delete a post. I hit back on my browser and mistakenly submitted this one.

This post was edited by peacamp on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 14:13

o
RE: your personal/home style

Last one, 'cause most of my pics are upside down since I just recently discovered the fix. I'll bet the previous ones showed that way ....darn ! Silly ipad. Youngest GD's room.

o

This is pretty indicative of my style, I think -- a portion of my family room.

o

And a corner of my dining room/library.

o

Finally, a vignette from the living room. The photo is the top of our beach house and starry sky.

o

I love that painting in your family room, Sue. Who is the artist?

o

I also wish we had like/love buttons on here. So many wonderful spaces.

Here's martin's photos:
 photo test1.jpg

photo test2.jpg

photo test3.jpg

o

Sas, it's Peter Batchelder.

Here is a link that might be useful: Artist web site

o

mtnrd - I adore your taste and your lovely house. I am debating whether to mention this or just drop it but i just can't get the feeling out of my mind.

Is it just me or does your pool room emit a bit of an unearthly vibe? I don't know if it's the lighting or the reflections but I feel like I wouldn't want to hang around there by myself late at night.

If I am being crazy, feel free to tell me to get a grip :)

o

Thank you Dino for fixing my pics!
BTW, I am marti, as in female. When I changed from leahcate, I failed to see how this would be misconstrued. :>O
Re MTN's beautiful pool, I went back to take another look, Dee, and believe it's simply due to it being an indoor pool. Too many scary scenes from film and t.v. have involved being allllll alonnnne at night in an indoor pool. One could feel vulnerable alone in any pool at night, and maybe more so if indoors. I don't swim alone at night without DH knowing I'm out there in our UN-covered pool, and wouldn't in MTN's.....but wish I had the opportunity!!!

o

Mtnrd, your house and outdoor living space is just wonderful! The pictures almost feel relaxing to look at; it looks lfriendly and welcoming in a way that many large homes do not. Hats off to you for creating a haven like that for your family!

I am awaiting the sea captain's manse turned beach house reveal with dwindling patience!!!

This post was edited by kswl on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:21

o

Here is my living room gallery wall (on BM Mount Saint Anne).

I'm loving all the beautiful rooms from everyone!
Thanks

o

Junco,
I have a wall like that saved somewhere: i really like the wood and gold against blue. NIce job.

KSWL, Thank you, and right back at you. I think the first thing I remember about your house was those super cool museum banners. I wish I could find a good place for them!
I have always said that walking into our backyard lowers your blood pressure! I don't think any of the rooms are 100% done at the beachhouse, but I will find one to post, and followup with it soon.

MartinCa, I remember Leahcate, I didn't know that was you! Love the undulating hills in your backyard. Could be Provence! And the netting over the bed ... move over Rachel Ashwell! Lastly, I always loved bookshelves over doorways!

Deee, LOL, maybe its my lousy camera, or all that blue. It is surrounded by windows and greenery so it feels very "earthly" to me. At night, the pool is lit so to me it is even prettier! (will look for a photo). All that said, I know a lot of people don't like unadorned windows at night ... so yeah, it could be spooky to them!

Sue, Love that shot of your living room. I like your color sense and the playfull hedgehoggy things.

Tibb, It's cool to have, especially in the winter when it is snowing out. But we did not put it in and it is really impractical. We have a huge dehumidifier ... no one ever knows we have a pool by walking into our house. But it is very costly to run. Also, to be honest, I miss having an outdoor pool. With all the doors to open and patios you get the breezes and such, but it's not the same.
I like your color palette in your home. And I love the ceiling/roof line in the dining room, so cozy. I have to find a great picture of a kitchen like that that I wanted to build (back when we were doing a beachhouse teardown).

o

Here is the first room I decorated in my first house ever, it was such an intimidating task! I have a very modern style, but fell in love with a traditional tudor home built in 1929. Trying to marry those two styles has been a challenge.

o

Oh, and here is the other direction.

o
RE: Photos

Have to add how I do sooo envy you easterners your lakeside homes, and vaca homes. It's what I miss the very most, living in So.Ca. The ones pictured here just take my breath away. Oh the joy of a jump from the pier into cool, clear lake water.
Also, as for MTN 's indoor beauty: in her climate it's the best kind to have.
Poor pic of the lake I miss.

o

Mtn., I'm very frustrated by the colors in my house. when I bought it, I had nine months to get it set up to rent the following summer, and I worked like a dog all year (I do my own painting, etc.). I knew nothing about picking paint color, and made the mistake of picking colors that looked nice to me.

Now I've learned so much more about paint colors. And yet, I just repainted the master bedroom…LOVED the SW Languid Blue in pics online, on the test sheets I painted and hung on my walls for a week or so…I was sure of it, but once it was up….it is too technicolor or something. Wish I'd stuck with BM Van Courtland Blue. Don't even know why I didn't.

So, I LOVE the Van Courtland Blue, and I'm fine with the BM Nantucket Fog in the other bedroom. I do like the Languid Blue at night, and I"m not up to painting that room yet again for a while.

But I really want to repaint the dining room, which is now done in BM Cape Hatteras Sand and is too purple and doesn't work as well with the pine ceiling as a paint should. I also want to repaint the LR, which is now in BM White Sand and is too peachy most of the day. DR is easy to paint; LR is VERY hard to paint, so I'm dreading it.

I"m convinced there is a ward in every state mental institution for those gone mad trying to pick paint colors.

o

My home was finished at one time, but now I'm redoing every room but the bath. Sooo this is the only one done...simple and uncluttered :)

o

Really nice, Kitchen4me. Those arched curtain rods are a great invention, aren't they? And glad to see another using a curtain rather than the glass. So much more practical, IMO. And a heck of a lot less expensive to maintain!

o

This is the start of the guest room....I like yellow and florals :)

o

Love my guest room dresser...
Tibbrix...yes especially for very small bathrooms!
Thanks!

o

Tibbrix, Color is hard, I so agree. My beachhouse DR is supposed to be blue but the first weekend we spend there they said "what color was it supposed to be again" and I said "never mind", we will paint it at the end of the season now. I chickened out. Your colors are neutrals but with a subtle unmistakable twist. They aren't trying too hard.

Kitch, great dresser... love oval mirrors.

o

I am quite traditional...we designed and built this house 3 years ago. These are some of the professional pics taken after we moved in, so they don't reflect changes since.

Exterior front...actually I took this pic, not one of the pro ones.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Exterior rear:

Family room (missing chair and sofa is now recovered in a dark brown tweed.)

Here is missing chair in left corner:

Kitchen:

Formerly bare wall in breakfast room:

Dining room (finally ordered a rug, but not here yet.)

I really need some new pics! :) But these definitely show my pared down, traditional aesthetic! :)

o

So many lovely settings. I do enjoy seeing what everyone has done. All styles from antique to modern.

I'm linking ours, categorized by individual room. Builders model that we purchased 18 years ago. Kitchen and bathrooms have all been updated and basement finished. No additions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Home Room by Room

o

It's so funny, I remember these house but not always whose they were. Love your place Nini. So soothingly elegant.

They should have little house photos next to our name when we post so remember "who is who"

o

Sue, I remember the topic you did about the blue chair and painting. Glad to see you still have them in the same place!

I can't take a current picture because of toys that are temporarily in my book nook. I'm kind of proud of the book nook/entryway because I designed them at the last minute.

I wanted built-in's, but I didn't want them to take up more space, so we jutted the front porch out on one side to make room for the two areas. We have a large porch so it didn't matter.

I recently made stome structural changes to my son's house that's being built. I missed my calling!

This is before floors were laid. I also want to add, I thought this would be a bright room with all the windows, but once the dark floors & plantation shutters were installed, it's pretty dark. Thankfully I like dark rooms.

The wall on the left of the entry way is the same length as the booknook, because the room goes further to the left of it.

New Room photo IMG_0577.jpg

o

I'm reluctant to post the same old pics yet again, but I suppose some haven't seen them.

Kitchen, bkfst nook, FR

Library

DR

BR nook

Guest room

Front facade

Rear facade

Under deck to the terrace

View from deck

o

It's no wonder I hang out here, so many gorgeous homes: the larger the better; the smaller, the sweeter.

Your homes are all in my dreams and prayers, and I love all of them. Not one that I would not love to occupy at any given time.

Thank you all for inviting us into your beautiful homes. It's not an easy thing to undertake decorating and then inviting the world into your private homes.

o

Oh Annie! That b.r. Nook with view of pond. Sigh.

o

Annie that BR nook looks so much like your inspiration picture on the other thread, you did an amazing job interpreting that in your own home!

o

Everyone homes are so LOVELY!!!!
Right now, this is my style...freaking crazy. :) I have my entire house torn up re-decorating, re-arranging, etc. I think I must be re-"nesting"-My oldest daughter is about to go away to college. I suddenly hate everything that I've done decor-wise and want to change it all. SIGH.

o

Such a fun thread. Sorry for the poor quality of my pictures but here goes ...
Living Room
 photo image10_zpsefab34c3.jpeg
Entry
 photo image4_zps7f8ed047.jpeg
Ceiling in kitchen and Dining
 photo image9_zps59f75368.jpeg
Kitchen
 photo reding_kitchen3_zps99e3d022.jpg

o

Wow! Such pretty homes! So much to like about each one. Many of you have seen and helped me with our home. So grateful for this forum! Here are some pics that many have seen before (although I took some time today to update a few).

Front of house:

photo 1C3614D5-3B51-4EA8-B081-5CF2F9DE2D7B_zpsqmezxiql.jpg

Living room:

photo P8017186_zpsd4c09313.jpg

photo P8017187_zps33761af0.jpg

photo P8017188_zps21444744.jpg

Dining room:

photo P7127174_zps851473ac.jpg

Den:

photo P8017181_zpsaa547cc5.jpg

photo P8017182_zps588219e3.jpg

Kitchen nook:

photo P8017185_zps0988defb.jpg

o

Thanks, kswl, but the inspiration pic came after the nook, not before. Go figure....chicken and egg I guess. The inspiration for the room, as in most rooms in my house, came first from the fabrics for the window treatments...I was buying the fabrics before we even had windows!

Someone on GW pointed out Phoebe Howard and I went and saw and liked. But that was after we already lived here for a couple of years.

o

Here are some of my pictures, though several have been posted before.

Front entry:

Living room:

Dining room:

Kitchen:

We turned the eat-in part of our kitchen into a coffee, read the paper and let-guests-have-some-wine-while-we-cook area.

o

I have loved seeing all of these homes. Some I totally forgot who they belonged too.

This was my last house. It still needed a lot of work but we were slowly working on it. One fall I planted 1500 bulbs in that front bed to the right. It was nice, but I have never planted another bulb again!

photo frontofhouse.jpg

We never did finish all the rooms, but these are a few rooms we did finish...

photo curtainsarehung009.jpg

photo 060905miscpics001.jpg

Sometimes it is amazing what some paint can do...

before:

photo BeforeFoyer7.jpg

After:

photo Afterfoyer3.jpg

Then we decided to downsize and have kids and this is the only room we have actually finished in the new house....

photo IMG_1046_zps282f5c0a.jpg

I am having a really hard time figuring out what to do with the rest of the house. Maybe I will get it together someday.

o

Boop, it is amazing what paint can do! May I ask about the bannister in your old home? Is that stained or painted? We painted ours and it chipped almost instantaneously (or so it seemed). Thinking we should strip and stain instead.

o

Everyone has such lovely homes! It's fun to see all the variety.

Here's a little snippet of my living room that pretty much shows my style and the colors that I use throughout the house. I like things simple and fairly minimal and use lots of natural materials and second hand finds. All floors are bare, windows are covered with muslin or lace panels hung from cast iron rods and antique blue mason jars (part of my dad's collection that my siblings and I helped dig from old homesteads as kids) line the windowsill. I aim for a really pared down casual country look that is easy to keep clean on our dusty pet filled farm.

o

Fabulous pictures. So many talented and fortunate posters. You shamed me into posting quick, crooked, un-staged pictures.

o

Family Room

o

Living Room to Family Room.

o

Kitchen

o

Kitchen eating area.

o

Grandma's old clock.

o

Florida version of indoor pool.

This post was edited by voila on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 0:11

o

mamorella - I am madly in love with your living room! DId you have the sofa custom made?

We had that house about 3-4 years after we had the floor and banister painted.

Trying to find a better picture....
 photo Followup.jpg

We had the floor upstairs (it was cheap parquet) and the banister painted. He used a BM Epoxy paint from what I remember. My husband said the guy said it was for boats, but I don't remember that part. I do remember he called BM (not the local store if I remember correctly) to find out what to use. It did take about two weeks to cure fully. After 1 week we could walk on it in socks.

We didn't wear shoes in the house often and that staircase was not used all the time (there were two staircases in the house and the other was closer so used more often) We did walk on the floor upstairs all the time though.

We had lots of issues with dust on that black floor, but no chipping. It held up very well and I would say looked brand new when we sold the house.

o

So many lovely additions to this thread! I went back to enjoy it again and fell in love with PPS's library rug---- it is beautiful and so subtle! I can appreciate subtle although I cannot do it, lol.

I think one of the best things about this forum is the breadth of tastes and styles and the depth of experience in owning and decorating homes. The variety is astonishing---no "cookie cutter" houses here!

o

THE LIVING ROOM

Here is a link that might be useful: An Vien TV - The best TV

This post was edited by vutaikt on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 8:56

o

It's so great to see so many of these wonderful spaces. The photos are further inspiration to help pull together my spaces (which is an ongoing battle as I update the remaining rooms). And thanks to everyone who has offered up advice when I've posted before. I had to wait until I had time this week to slowly scroll through this thread, and it was well worth it.

For something different, here's our industrial loft city space that serves as a pied-a-terre. We've been trying to inexpensively update the space and are now doing the whole airbnb thing. Thus, you'll likely see some of the stuff swapped out -- strange how a temporary placeholder lasts seven years. The one thing is we didn't go the full RH industrial route with this space.

main seating area
 photo 46D82A41-EBF1-4B9D-BB37-7BCFE34FB58F_zpsqxxmshyw.jpg

Work area --
 photo 04F150C8-F94C-4FE7-9A22-285A38BC638A_zpssgtfqp3o.jpg

I won't bother reposting the other home, which is more traditional. It is fun to be able to purchase things at opposite ends of the spectrum.

o

My gosh, continue to be inspired by this masterful melange of photos. I still say we need a jolly GW photo book!

You've seen mine many times...

storm photo candle1_zps959d441a.jpg

photo 3-7.jpg

photo 9-2.jpg

photo foyer_zps185810c2.jpg

photo newtable_zps8a0d2b88.jpg

photo toilebedroom.jpg

We just finished our new patio out front, will have to snap a pic.

o

I gotta ask: Do you guys need to pick up before snapping these pictures? Or does your house look like this all the time?

Just beautiful. All of them, no matter the style.

o

Finallyhome: in my case, very careful editing, lol!

o

There's a Brio train track set up on the main level guest room rug at the moment, that's been there since last weekend when DGS spent the night. DH puts his gigantic gym bag on the laundry counter, and has been known to hang clothes on the doorknob. It's just the two of us, and pets, so it pretty much stays picked up. When he's home, the island might has his computer, cord and dog leash on top. I'm a neat freak, everything that can be done before bedtime gets done so there's less to do in the morning. I've always been this way. :)

This post was edited by allison0704 on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 12:15

o

Alison's home is what I would have destroyed myself and my budget dying to create. I love the style so much and it's so well done that I would try to recreate it going against my natural style. Love it so much Alison!

Nini -
I love the exterior of your home! The crispness, the style, the white! Right up my alley! I wish I could pull of curtains like what you have in the DR. No such luck in mine!

finallyhome,

If you look close in most of my pics you will see a toy here and there. I pick up for pictures but it's usually such a mess that I miss something & I refuse to kill myself making my home look like something that it is not just for a picture. Often I will just shove the crap to the side out of camera view.

The pics that I posted of my LR are very sparse because I was preparing it for a picture for the sale of our home. I wanted to see what it would look like fully edited down.

o

Here's the place I sold at the end of 2012:
 photo 5.jpg

And here's the rental we lived in until our tenants moved out:
 photo rental2_zps2dfd71b0.jpg

I think there is going to be a certain amount of consistency, no matter what the house or building looks like. And this is pretty much how the living areas are kept even though we use them every day. People thought the top picture was staged for sale, but it wasn't, that was it. We have a messy office area but it's concentrated in one spot.

o

Can pets play? Cat landing pad (and way to use up Farrow and Ball paint samples!)

o

OK. Here goes. Not exactly what I'd choose if I had the budget to go out and buy everything in one shot, but it still feels pretty much like "me" and I feel happy when I come in the door.

Foyer

photo foyer.jpg

Living room / family room. We only have one room for both.

photo lr4.jpg

Master bedroom

photo mbr.jpg

Guest bath / my private retreat

photo bth2.jpg

photo bth1.jpg

o

This has been a lazy weekend for us. Reading, movies, cooking, but we have not picked up or pruned or done any other tasks. We have been married a very long time, traveled and gathered things we like. Almost all our furniture comes from yard sales, used stores, friends and auctions. I found the living room chairs outside a consignment shop in 1974 and recently had them reupholstered for the 2nd time with fabric I found on ebay. DH is the photographer and a fine pianist. We really enjoy our house and our things. I can't show the bedroom because it is strewn with laundry that has to be folded and put away. My least favorite task.
More after Bonnieann

This post was edited by sixtyohno on Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 18:57

o

Fun thread! It's so nice to see the various styles, all so different and reflective of home styles throughout the country. Here's our LR last Christmas. The drop-leaf gateleg table to the right of the fireplace belonged to my late parents. We open it up for an intimate fire-side dinner in the winter. The curio belonged to my Mom and has many of her treasured pieces in it. So many good memories!

o

I finally figured it out. I have to upload from photobucket.
 photo DSCN0334.jpg

photo DSCN0335.jpg
Now with the rug.
rug photo livingroom1_zps77ea0eb0.jpg
 photo DSCN0345.jpg
 photo DSCN0328.jpg
 photo DSCN0312.jpg

Just in case you haven't seen my kitchen a thousand times.
 photo DSCN0289.jpg
and finally, this is me recolored by DH
 photo laura_zpsc55c31c2.jpg

o

Aw, thank you, TheFoxesPad! I feel like I could just move into your house (and Pals, and several more!) and be comfortable too.

Have enjoyed seeing everyone's homes, even those seen before.

o

I am late to the party, but I think almost everyone has seen my pics anyway :)

o

Everyone's home is so lovely and full of personality. Here are a few of mine:

photo EXT_FRONT9_zpsa9d55830.jpg

photo DSCF0012-3_zps8a5761ba.jpg

photo DSCF0004_zps04e89fb7.jpg

photo KIT35_zpsf43d2fe6.jpg

photo photo1_zpsa6f621f6.jpg

photo INT_LIVING1_zps5f81f0a1.jpg

photo DSCF0006-1_zpsb048f7b9.jpg

photo DSCF0003_zpsf93706d8.jpg

photo IMG_0728_zpsfaecd6e8.jpg

photo DSCF0003-2_zps5b0843a5.jpg

photo DSCF0054_zpsc47c3fb2.jpg

photo laundry5_zps61fcf6d2.jpg

photo IMG_0323_2_zps75314ceb.jpg

photo IMG_0371_zps4ec4ad84.jpg

o

Peacamp. your home is so inviting and happy! No wonder it feels good to come home.

o

More pretty pics! Love them all.

Boop, thanks so much. It think our mistake was using the same paint we used for the interior doors. Oh well. Live and learn. We have only been here a little over a year and the bannister and many doors should be redone. They never fully cured as we didn't have time before move in so many of our doors have rubbed/chipped where it meets the frame. I just try not to look! I will look into the BM epoxy. I can imagine it is marine grade, as your DH remembers. I wanted that for our front door but ended up with BM Grand Entrance. It is fine but we will have to get a new front door in a couple of years so I will redo it properly then.

As for the couch, I bought it on a whim online at Chairish, a high end online consignment. The living room was the only room we didn't have furniture for. We saw these and thought they would be kitschy and fun for a while. The price was right so we got them. I really like them and am in no rush to change them out. The fabric is Schumacher and according to the listing was taken out of retirement for the PO of the couch.

o

Wow what a thread. Here's a corner of my living area/family room

o

sixty ohno- Wonderful house!! I love, love your green velvet sofas.

o

peacamp, are you the artist of all your colorful and beautiful paintings?

sandyponder

o

Updated decor with new sofas -

photo IMG_2028_zpsb5e975ab.jpg

o

Wow, enjoyed seeing so many lovely homes, something to love in each one--so many reflective obviously of personalities and lives!

o

Kellyeng, did you change screen names to Magdalena? I had to do a double take at the last picture because we helped you with the room. lol

Your house is very inviting!

o

Not, my house, but my parents' time capsule. Dated, a little stiff--although we use it a lot--but I still find it completely pleasant and not as dated as it could be since it was furnished 45 years ago and some of the upholstery is original to then and some is from about 1987. It has definitely had an influence on my viewpoint:

(I think it's kind of unfortunate that mirrors like that were reproduced in every form including 100% plastic at the time of the Bicentennial. It's a genuine 19th c. girandole, but in pictures it looks a bit trite)
 photo FPwallwatermark-2.jpg

o

Peacamp--Those are indeed charming.
Magdalena--I knew I recognized that warm Texas home!
Love seeing all these spaces.

o

Oak & Kitchen - I was wondering if anyone would recognize my house - made me feel special!

I changed my screen name a few months back. Sometimes you just need to change things up . . .

o

Magdalena, I've thought about doing the same thing. I'm tired of Oakley. lol

DelawareDonna, I love your room. I've always wanted to do this but my house doesn't have two windows like yours. Have you thought about putting a Boston Fern in front of each window with matching plant stands?

o

Love seeing everyone's homes, they're so beautiful.

Question for TheFoxesPad ~ Love, love your mudroom! I've seen the taller photo in your mudroom photo before with the tree and fench. Would you be able tell me the artist?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here