Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarhlfan

pls show me tv in master bedroom

tarhlfan
11 years ago

Please show us pic of TV in your master bedroom. Needing ideas. I am wanting to update and really don't have any ideas thus far with this. Thx!

Comments (34)

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I don't have a pic - but, I keep mine in my armoire. I don't like "seeing" a tv in a bedroom. WHen I had to share my armoir space - the tv sat on top...yuck

• Susan
    11 years ago

i have ours recessed in a nook over the faux fireplace.

before that i always had it on top of a tall dresser.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

My bedroom television resides in an armoire. I like being able to close the doors and have it out of sight before we go to sleep. All of my televisions are behind doors of some kind because I don't like the look of a blank screen when it is not in use.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I am very nearsighted and want to watch TV without my glasses on and with the volume low. So I parked it on a long night stand so it is positioned right where I can see it when I lay on my side...but often I turn away and go to sleep with the TV on sleep timer. Just enough distraction to quiet my mind so sleep will come.

I know many people put it in their armoire or on a dresser across the room...I used to do that in the old house, but it led to me falling asleep with my glasses on and constantly bending them!

• susanlynn2012
    11 years ago

My 32" LCD TV is in a small armoire and I bought it in July 2007. I had planned to put it on a nightstand but the furniture from Stanley came damaged and when I sent it back and ordered Durham solid Maple furniture, I decided that the armoire was worth spending for after all. If my bedroom was bigger with more wall space, then maybe I would have it on a wall with a junior chest underneath.

• porkandham
    11 years ago

We don't have a TV in our room, but if we were to put one in, it would hang on the wall above the fireplace.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    11 years ago

No T.V. In our MBR. My sanctuary. I love to read in peace and quiet, use my iPad to surf the web, check in with email, shop online. Not going to listen to annoying politics/sports programs. He has his space (the whole rest of the house). If there was a T.V. In our bedroom, I'd have to vacate that room, too, whenever he decided to occupy it.

seagrass

• jane__ny
    11 years ago

Love your response, seagrass! Your life sounds like mine. Yankees, Knicks, Giants, politics and then there's the music blasting. I'm trying to figure out a way to soundproof the bedroom.

Jane

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I don't even have satellite or cable right now, but even when we do, a TV in the bedroom is not happening. DH can sleep with the TV on, but I can't. Plus, sleep and marriage experts generally recommend to save the bedroom for sleep and sex, and since one statistic showed couples with TVs in the bedroom have half as much sex as couples without TVs in the bedroom, I'm taking the recommendation seriously! ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: 18 Good Reasons to Get the TV Out of Your Bedroom

• tarhlfan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I really like having a TV in our bedroom. I iron in there sometimes and like to watch TV while ironing. We gave our TV in the bonus room to our son and have not replaced it yet. Our son graduated from college and moved into an apt. You can make or break it as far as turning it on at what should be "couple time". We have been married almost 33 yrs and it has never interfered. I retreat also with my ipad or macbook. Sometimes while hubby is watching sports downstairs I would like to watch something else upstairs, but I am not talking about at bedtime.

• ideamom
    11 years ago

Ours is mounted on the wall. You can see it in the blog post below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedroom tv

• texanjana
    11 years ago

No tv in our bedroom either, got rid of it a few years ago.

• sis3
    11 years ago

Our TV is in a chest at the foot of the bed. The chest has a lift so no TV in sight until/unless we want to watch it.

• tarhlfan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I appreciate those of you who helped w/ your answers to my question. I did not ask for marital advice or ask if we should have one in the master br. I am quite secure in my marriage of 33 yrs. Sorry don't mean to be b*tchy, but some of these responses just rubbed me the wrong way.

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I was hoping to see some pictures too. I like watching tv in bed on winter mornings.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I have mine over the fireplace and some of my favorite art on that wall so I enjoy it even when it's not on. My husband watches t.v. in the den and I use the bedroom as I have a bad back and sitting is hard for me. I LOVE my t.v. in the bedroom. I've been married 52 years and a t.v. never got in the way of our love. You just shut it off, simple as that lol.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Ours is functional, not all that pretty. I found an old picture. No clutter on the dresser, must be from when we first set things up :)

The ironing board no longer has a home there, and there is a small picture in its place.

• loves2read
    11 years ago

I too have trouble seeing TV while sitting in bed--so when we moved to new house (for us) we got a flat screen 42 inch--would have loved a 50 but my husband did not want to spend the extra money...

the space between the bed and the wall where it is mounted is shorter than in the bedroom we moved from...so the space was too small to use the armoire the old tv was in...and it would not have held a large flat screen anyway

We moved the entertainment armoire and the tv we had to a guest bedroom upstairs...

We placed our dresser across from the foot board of the bed and use it to hold the cable box and dvr and some photos--
    and the flatscreen LCD is wall mounted...
    I like it--my husband really only watches tv in here when he is sick or wants excuse to take a nap on the bed (vs in his chair)...
    I use it sporadically when I want to catch up with stuff I have recorded at night and he is watching something else but I would never have bedroom w/o TV-
    And we celebrate our 40th anniversary this July---

REgarding the other commentary about tvs in bedrooms...
    Any problems around tvs in bedrooms are just symptoms of bigger problems in relationships--
    they don't make/break marriages...
    My son didn't have tv in bedroom and his first marriage lasted 18 mo...

the one suggestion I would msuggest is to make sure you mount the flat screen (if you have one) high enough so that you can look at it straight on from sitting on YOUR bed...

we have a high mattress and a higher than normal king bed frame...
    the media guy doing our install argued with me for 20 min about where I wanted the TV--
    I wanted it higher than he recommended as the "best" placement...
    because viewing flatscreens at angles CAN distort the view/color...

But I sat on the bed and made him move the TV until I was satisfied...

The other problem is that I have to raise the remote high enough so the footboard does not block the signal when I want to change channels or do something else...
    no footboard---no problem...so that might not be concern for you

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

I got rid of the bedroom tv at one time, but we bought a tv for the kitchen and put it in the bedroom temporarily, and it's still there.

I love what Annie did, as I would love to be able to lay down, take off my glasses and still see the tv.

We used to have the tv on a chest parallel to the bed, and it was easy to watch while laying down but if dh rolled over to his side, I couldn't see over him. lol

Right now we have the tv on a dresser opposite the bed, but we can't watch it except while sitting up. I like having the tv on, it makes it a little less lonely around here during the day, and I fall asleep better with the drone of someone talking and usually set the sleep timer to turn off after the news.

• sas95
    11 years ago

We have a TV mounted on the wall across from the bed. It's positioned closer to my husband's side than mine because I don't like watching in bed, but my husband claims to need the TV to fall asleep. The noise used to cause some conflict until we bought wireless headphones. I can't hear a thing when he watches.

• jlj48
    11 years ago

Our tv in the bedroom is on top of my husband's dresser. I also iron in the bedroom and like to watch tv while ironing. We will be married 22 years this Saturday and tv does NOT negatively affect our relationship. In fact, it's fun to cuddle and watch tv together. It's also fun when one of our kids join us for a program. With ours being on the dresser, and with the positioning, you can't even see it until you enter the room all the way. There's no way to really make it attractive, but then again, my clothes lying around or my cluttered dresser aren't attractive either.

• tarhlfan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thx, ladies! Appreciate the helpful suggestions :)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

I used to have a small tv in my bedroom but that was before I remodeled the room, before it didn't have any heat or electric (ran extension cords - my bad); since I had to open the bedroom door to let what heat I could in from the rest of the house, the livingroom got very cold too. So I went to bed to keep warm and watch TV under the blankets! Had the cable company run a line in there after I remodeled but it's been three years and I still haven't replaced the TV. It's warm enough I can sit and watch tv in the livingroom. Oh, and the one thing I did NOT like about the tv in the bedroom was the little red light on it and the other lights on the cable box. For some reason, they were such a distraction while trying to sleep. But I'll keep the cable in there just in case I change my mind in the future.

• lolauren
    11 years ago

RE: little red light and/or logo, I put electrical tape over that. Just a tiny piece was enough to eliminate that annoyance.

OP: I am glad you asked the question, because I'd also love to see photos of others' solutions. Unfortunately, I don't have a photo for you, as our TV is on an old wine cabinet. The TV is 55" and way too wide for the cabinet, but it's been difficult finding a stand that's high enough to see comfortably and wide enough to look balanced. (It needs to be at least 36" high to see from our bed, but media stands are always too short.)

• judiegal6
    11 years ago

Here is mine. Personally I couldn't live without a tv in my bedroom. It causes no problems in the "intimacy department".

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I toured a huge, gorgeous home not to long ago and in the master bedroom, the huge tv was wall mounted over the bedroom dresser, where a mirror would normally go.

It was opposite the bed and a perfect viewing spot. I thought it was clever, if not my taste.

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

"Plus, sleep and marriage experts generally recommend to save the bedroom for sleep and sex, and since one statistic showed couples with TVs in the bedroom have half as much sex as couples without TVs in the bedroom" Really???

I don't know who these "experts" interviewed, but I can assure you that the tv has never presented a problem in the intimacy department in my own home.

Also, I find it sad these so called "experts" deem the bedroom as the only suitable room for sex in one's home. IMO, lack of imagination, or perhaps some other undisclosed "issues" in the marriages of those who were interviewed by these "experts" seem to be the more likely intervening factor.

Our bedroom tv sits on a bookcase on the wall across from our bed, since DH uses the armoire for storing some off season clothing.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

hellokitty, I just wanted to apologize for my comment on sex & sleep. It was meant tongue-in-cheek, but I can see why it could be offensive.

• katlan
    11 years ago

Here's ours. Nothing fancy but it works. I love having a tv in our bedroom.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

My tv is mounted on the wall across from the end of the bed. It's large and mounted high enough so that I can see it when lying down without straining my neck. I'm one that can't sit in bed and watch TV.....my back won't tolerate it! DH would have installed it higher but I didn't want a TV mounted near the crown molding!

The TV has been in the room for 7 months and today I'm finally heading to HD to buy the cord covers!

Another poster mentioned problems with the remote needing a direct signal to the receiver. That problem can be solved with a RF (radio frequency) remote.

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

ours is also mounted on the wall across from the bed

• tarhlfan
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No worries, Jessicaml, but thx for the apology. We ended up putting the new TV on top of a dresser opposite our bed. I would like for DH to mount it on the wall, we'll see, LOL. I like it in that location, much better than where it was before. It used to be angled on a table that was parallel to our bed and made watching in bed quite difficult. Don't do that much, but would like to be able if I wanted.

• joannemb
    11 years ago

Ours is in an armoire....Even though I could desperatelyuse that extra shelf, I would never put it anywhere else. I think it would completely ruin the look of the room if it were out in the open.

• bird_lover6
    11 years ago

TV causes no problems with intimacy.

Just watch tv naked and see what happens.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.