Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammi_vetter_miles

Traverse rod wave drapery DIY?

Tammi Vetter_Miles
11 years ago

Hi, first post but long time lurker. We are gutting our kitchen and need new window treatments for our slider. I have champagne taste on a beer budget sadly. I want ceiling to floor drapes on a transverse rod but every quote has been astonomical, well over $1500. So I started pricing the rods on my own. I can get a rod for under $100 and wave tape as well. Problem is the actual drape. Is it realistic to get a pro look on a DIY budget or should I just suck it up and have a pro do it?

Comments (24)

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Well, the fact that you are asking indicates you probably are not an experienced sewer.
    If that is the case, then I suggest ready made drapery. Country Curtains, JC Penney, or Etsy.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

You can get a pro look on a DIY budget by buying ready made drapes, getting the right materials, placing the rod appropriately, and then hiring a seamstress to hem the drapes to the exact right length. There are lots of places along the way to make a mistake with drapes.

Snap a photo of the window and give a link for the rod you plan to use. What is your budget? What do you have in mind for drapes?

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. I will take a couple of shots and upload them later tonight. The link for the rod is attached. I do not have a huge concern with the actual install of the rod, as my husband will handle this and he is very skilled. My concern is with the drape. So I guess my question is this; if I go with a store bought panel I just need to basically attach the wave tape to the panel and then attach to the rod?

We moved into this house from a beautiful townhome in the city where we had (prior owner installed) high end drapery on transverse rods and I just love them and now want them here. As far as fabric, I am open really, something neutral and mid weight as this is west facing. Budget I can justify up to $400-$500. Or I should say my husband can justify that:) Thanks for all the help!

Here is a link that might be useful: Rod

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

You realize that the actual rod will show, and the standard white traverse rods are not very attractive?

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I agree with terriks, that looks like a standard white rod. And it's a one way draw, which would put all the fabric on one side when open, exposing the rod and the opposite side bracket.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Do you sew at all?

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know the rod will show and I am ok with that. I also know this is a pull to the left, that is what I want because it is for a sliding glass door.

I do not sew unfortunately. We had a similar product in our last house and I really like it. Is there a better rod? Other than a standard rod which I know you can use wave tape with but I feel like I can't get full coverage (drape to cover the rod) with those. The look I am going for is in the link below, our listing for our old townhouse. I am looking for a simialr set up as pictured in the living and dining room. I am sorry for posting the link for all the photos but I do not have a good shot of my own.

Anyway, if still reading, thoughts on getting a similar look with store bought panels?

Here is a link that might be useful: photos

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I should have mentioned you have to to the "upper" part on the floor plan to see the drapes.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

So, you are planning to mount the rod on the ceiling?

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I found the instructions for changing from a center draw to a one way

Here is a link that might be useful: Instructions

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

I also found some information about Kirsch Ripplefold rods.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ripplefold

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

If you don't sew at all, then don't diy this project. It is not a difficult sewing project, but you would need a machine and basic knowledge of straight line sewing and familiarity with measuring and cutting fabrics and lining.

• beeps
    11 years ago

I used to sew a LOT, although haven't for years, but I don't think I'd tackle this project. I'd find some ready made within budget. How tall are your ceilings? I've got 10 foot ceilings in my new house and I want to hang some curtains from top to bottom and the selection is limited for 120".

Your condo was beautiful. I love the ceiling to floor look also. I'm sure you will get your new space looking beautiful also.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

These may be the type rods you're needing:

Home Depot

BBB
    or......the link below.

I've seen the ones at JCP and they move soooo easily. I'm considering them in a bedroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP

• annzgw
    11 years ago

What is 'wave tape'?

• suero
    11 years ago

You might be able to use fusible webbing with the wave tape if you don't sew.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to make draperies with wave tape

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Thanks suero. I've seen the tape in the fabric store....didn't realize that's what it was called!

• Tammi Vetter_Miles
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow!!! So helpful, all of you. Thanks for all of the links, I really appreciate this! Currently our ceiling is 8 ft, which is a huge adjustment coming from 10th ceilings. Another problem is we wil be installing crown molding in this space. And another issue is the family room has a bank of fixed French dors,4 total, that sit on the same wall as the slider, about 4 or 5 feet away. It is separated by a half wall. That room already has crown and some grommet drapes from Rest Hardware. I am not crazy about the drapes and wil most likely change them at some point. They were a quick fix when we moved in. I go back and forth on whether they should be he same as the slider and I am guessing yes.

So, next question. Should I do a wall mount instead of ceiling because of the crown that is happening? That is how we did it in the family room. I think I will just go with a rod and store bought panels. Rest Hardware has some nice 100w panels I can use. The door width is 84 so I assume the 100w will be fine? Or do I need more fabric?

Again, thank you and I promise to upload a photo tomorrow of the room. Just hectic around here with the kitchen Reno plus I have a 6 month old and a 2.5 yr old that keep me very busy. :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

All the big box stores in our area have decorative traverse rods with clips something like the overstock rod shown above. If the room has crown, that look might work with the wave tape.

• graywings123
    11 years ago

The door width is 84 so I assume the 100w will be fine?
    Only if the drapes are pleated and being measured across the top. Generally, you want the fabric to be at least twice the width of the rod, and three times the width if you want a generous look to the fabric. It depends on the style you are going for.

Generally you would mount the rod just below the crown molding. But please, don't buy that ugly white rod.

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

Agree with above. Drapery width, especially for pinch pleated, will be 2 1/2 to 3 times the width of the opening. So this may be why your custom prices were as quoted That IS a lot of fabric.

And when I saw you mention tape, I was assuming you were referring to drapery hook header tape. Back in the day, this pleater tape was sewn to the top edge of the flat drapery. Then 3 prong pleater hooks would slide into the sheaths of the tape, causing the pleat to form and fold up. This hook is then what was hooked onto the small ring on the traverse rod. You might find info on some sewing sights or books.

• kimiko232
    11 years ago

I don't know if this will help or not. I thought it was cheaper to buy some ready made pottery barn linen drapes. This was at least eight years ago when I did. I know how to sew and should have just made them. I wanted to match the thick silk drapes in the family room and pb chestnut was the closest linen I could find. Well, this is neither here or there.

Anyway, I bought 100" w plus a regular 40" w one for each sliding door. I wanted enough fabric to not look cheesy. I pulled apart the lining and the fabric. Sewed the raw edges together and pinch pleated the top. People think they look pretty good. I know better (I don't think they look great) and one day when my kids are older I'll make better ones. I've already made lined and interlined drapes in all the other rooms. You might try sewing two together that if you're worried about skimpy drapes like I am. Maybe at minimum, buy the two and put them side to side.
    Good luck!
    Kim

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

check out JCP...their prices have really come down since they went to every day low pricing and they have a decent selection of reasonably priced draperies.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA