Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

What to do with this piece of furniture

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

Okay, so it's a little odd. Hard to tell from the photo but is has an acidic green color that goes well w my cushions. I bought it from a local antique place.

I will prob use it as a buffet. A plant stand would be nice but since we aren't there every day all summer, not realistic.

What would you put on the funny posts if anything at all?

PS, hmm, first pic posted from ipad mini. Looks like i need to learn how ... will search old posts. In the meantime, PBWM.

Comments (43)

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Interesting! Did the antique store have any idea what the original purpose was for the piece - including the thingies? How are they secured to the base?

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

It does go well with your cushions. It appears to be two pieces one inverted on another. How difficult would it be to removed the three spindles down the middle?

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

By the way, I love it. It looks just like something I would drag home.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Phonelady,
    They did mumble some sort of antique-speak. You know, where everything always comes from small charming town in rural France. Which just makes me tune them out because, given what I paid for it, and the gazillion-percent standard cutesy-antique-store-in-hard-to-find-charming-hamlet-mark-up, and shipping costs, I don't believe it came from France. She said she got it from a florist.

Arcy, I don't think it is. I wouldn't want to remove the spindles, that's what make it cool and interesting (or, odd and ugly)!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Phonelady ... a kindred spirit!

The first thing I imagine on them is Boston ferns. Then pillar candles. DH points out that would light the lattice and the whole house. Ok so maybe in glass. But how to keep them stable? Museum putty?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here we are, sorry!

• bpath
    9 years ago

Maybe the columns supported a shallow shelf? I'm thinking it'll make a nice bar. Long Island Iced Teas, anyone?

• forgetmenot74
    9 years ago

Hi, Im new here today and I just love, love your piece of furniture. I would put large candles on the two outside spots and a vase of flowers in the middle. (You could use flameless candles if your prefer. I would keep it just the way it is because it is always the odd pieces that are more valuable. You could use that buffet and change it to fit whatever the occasion is. Happy buffeting!

• pugga
    9 years ago

I agree with bpathome, I think there was a narrow shelf supported by the thingies.

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Phone lady, I would have fought you for it. lol Birds, ceramic or wood, added to the tops of the spindles is what I would probably do. Looks to be something that was made to use in a shop(France?)to hold something. Maybe the flat round things on the top of the spindles were added later, and it originally held yarn, ribbon, lace...just a thought. Also may have been more to it, and this was the only piece that survived. It's cute, and interesting!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

My first thought was candles because they do sort of look like big cande holders. Some of those flameless ones look pretty realistic, so that's an idea.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Potting bench! Bar? Serving surface? Def let those things support another shelf !

• roarah
    9 years ago

Lovely find! I like the idea of solar candles on the three top legs.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, if i add a shelf (great idea), it will never match the old, mottled, imperfect aged color (which I like). Would you do a glass shelf? Might that look weird, as though some things are floating in air?

Has anyone ever used this?

• maddielee
    9 years ago

If it came from a florist, it was probably specially made for display.

My first thought was that maybe those sticking up things would be for a lady's wigs. :)

I would remove the thingys.

ML

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL, Maddielee, i am just picturing wigs!

Taking them off is not an option; it is what makes it distinctive (ugly or beautiful)

• Jules
    9 years ago

My first thought was also having wavy or frosted glass cut to make a top shelf and then using the piece as a multi-level bar or buffet.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

I am in the "add a shelf camp"

Was thinking a glass shelf too but then I thought......wrought iron.

In keeping with the French provenance (I like the idea it had a romantic, Parisian former life), I was thinking of that beautiful French window box iron. I was going to say "I wish you could see inside my head" at what I am envisioning, but you really don't want to go in there. Honestly. :)

Or if not a salvaged piece of wrought iron as a shelf, would something like this scanning the pillars look too top heavy? The possibilities are endless of what you could display in there.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

I'm in AZ and one of the few things I miss about living in New England is the antiquing. I used to have a house that I built to look like an old farmhouse. I wanted the "look" but didn't want to deal with the headaches of restoring an old home.

MANY wonderful hours spent just poking around in shops. Especially love old crocks and using items in ways not originally intended.

Now I'm retired and pretty much moving superfluous stuff out of the house, not back in. I love my AZ home but it really doesn't lend itself to CT decorations. I think that's why I enjoy seeing others finds like this one.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I have in use something like the museum putty. My brother brought mine, it is blue & I have a few small pictures hanging with it. When I have removed them to wipe down beam there is no blue on the beam. It holds good.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I love it. If you're not excited about glass shelf, what about a piece of marble cut for a shelf? Or copper?

• kswl2
    9 years ago

I use museum putty all the time. Anything ceramic or porcelain or glass on a shelf is seated in the clear putty. It's a godsend for people with children, pets and husbands.

Mtn, how about a milk glass shelf, rounded at each end ----like the bakery servers' glass shelf. Green milk glass would be fabulous!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, marble or copper are interesting ideas, that would work well I think. Esp copper ... and I can patina it! Thanks!

Custom rounded green milk glass? wouldn't i need to do a whole factory run, KSWL?

I think for now I will experiment with putting things there with putty and see how silly it looks...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Hard to tell from the pic...are the thingies in the center, front to back? Or are they attached near the back side so there's more room in the front?

• cawaps
    9 years ago

Zinc shelf. Or copper.

Or gazing globes secured with museum putty.

Or a rotating display of seasonal decorations: miniature Christmas trees, jack-o-lanterns, Easter baskets, etc.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

The second picture looks to me like the spindles are against the back side..in the two corners for sure. That gives you space for your buffet idea--I really couldn't see ROOM in the first picture, I thought the spindles were down the center. I am voting for a shelf addition across the top of the spindles. If you used it as a dry bar it could hold glasses. Perhaps you would find that too much of a camouflage for your unique piece?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Fill the bottom with fine beach sand, place a few shells or smooth shiny rocks in there, and get a small wooden rake to create a zen garden. No need to feel obligated to do anything with the thingies...they are what they are. Or place a shell or stone on top of each which can be incorporated into the zen garden, or not. They really are meditative and inspire creativity.

• kswl2
    9 years ago

Not if you could find a piece and have it cut.

Or you could paint the reverse side--- sometimes called the poor man's milk glass. But etched glass would be great too, as would marble.

• mclarke
    9 years ago

You could get three of these:

... Or if you wanted to run a string between the little pillars...

Or you could be artsy...

• maddielee
    9 years ago

Annie wrote: "Fill the bottom with fine beach sand, place a few shells or smooth shiny rocks in there, and get a small wooden rake to create a zen garden. No need to feel obligated to do anything with the thingies"

Your own little Stonehenge! :)

ML

• mclarke
    9 years ago

I like the sand/shell idea... and to continue the seaside theme, you could add a couple of these little wooden boats to the tops of the pillars. They are "balancing toys" and they come in different sizes...

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

! could see a pot of vining flowers on each spindle and the bottom filled with other pots of vining plants and flowers. The whole unit would look gorgeous in bloom. Being under the porch they would have to be shade loving plants as I believe your home is facing east towards the ocean.
    so mostly morning sun?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think I was not clear enough... This will be used as a buffet on our verandah where we have dining. So that's how the base will be used. I'm really talking about the three pillars.

Also, due to the harshness of oceanfront conditions, thus piece will be brought in in winter. The home will rarely be used outside of summer anyway...

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Oh I see...sorry. From the pic it looks too small and low to serve that purpose....but maybe it's just the angle the pic was taken.

If that's what you want, then just get 3 different old fashioned plates and glue them solidly to the top of the spindles...maybe add a spacer under the middle one to raise it higher than the other 2...the plates wouldn't come off, but you can certainly wipe them off before using them. (You could paint the spacer close enough so it would look ok under the plate.) Or maybe two plates and a soup plate in the middle for whatever you might be serving. Or you can put a candle on each of the two side spindles and then a plate in the middle. I would glue a candle holder to the spindle rather than try to adhere the candle directly to the spindle. Something flat and glass or ceramic, or more like a glass holder wrapped in twigs or something more rustic...maybe something with sides that would protect the flame from the wind.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I'd put these deck prisms, you could use them alone or purchase the lights that go under them. I have given them as house gifts and people love them. The refractions make a wonderful experience.

Here is a link that might be useful: deck prism

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

I would probably add some antique finials from etsy or RubyLane or some such place. It's a conversation piece so IâÂÂd add to that idea.

Or, I would add a green marble ledge and do a simple milk glass arrangement on top.

Edited to add...
    Or, it may be simpler to call some soapstone dealers/installers and see if they have an off cut of soapstone with green veining.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 10:40

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Shelf, for sure. It would be perfect for condiment dishes on your buffet. Or desserts.

Wait, let's fill the whole thing with desserts!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yayagal, I think I HAVE TO HAVE a deck prism now, perhaps many! So pretty.

I am not confident enough in my aesthetic sense to accentuate the pillars though, with finials, prisms, birds, etc. Someone with talent could make it look great; i fear my execution might veer from fanciful to farcical.

And it is hard to tell, but the table is a sort of a trough and the spindles sit in the trough, and appear to be integral to the corners (from what I recall and I am in CT now so can't check. Lemme ask a houseguest ...)

Anyway, the trough isn't terribly deep and I like to make buffets with varying heights so I can work around that aspect.

I think I will order some museum putty and try putting some small saucers up there and then play around with plants, flowers, food, candles. Over the winter I will look into having a shelf made, prob. copper, zinc or marble.

Thank you all for your great ideas.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I vote for shelf! Copper, zinc, or even a slab of grey, weathered wood would be great :)

• Oakley
    9 years ago

It's definitely a potting table, but I'm not sure if the spindles came with it or they were added onto it. I'm not sure if I like the spindles or not. Maybe adding a shelf on top would look better...I don't know.

Yes, I use Museum putty all the time and it works wonders! A little bit goes a long way.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

if it is from a florist shop, I wonder if it was used to create arrangements? Put the live flowers on the table and the arrangement on the posts so you can see and access all sides while creating? Not sure if the tops are turntables or were at one time, but that's how I imagine it being used.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

Vintage beach hat collection holder?

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Maybe the bottom portion of a Welsh hutch. They're very narrow and the ones I've seen are on legs, no cabinet below. Just another thought.