Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ajc9

two quilts...which one?

ajc9
11 years ago

Which quilt do you like best? I'm purchasing one or the other in ivory. I suppose it's a personal preference thing...but maybe one is better quality? I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards the heirloom quilt...it seems a bit sturdier?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: heirloom quilt

Comments (20)

• ajc9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oops! Here is the other quilt...

Here is a link that might be useful: stonewashed quilt

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I much prefer the Heirloom quilt. It's lovely, but the Stonewashed looks to me as though it's on its last leg. (Well, if a quilt had legs ... ;-))

• ajc9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, sunnycottage! You put it well...it does look messy, eh? A lot of people can pull of that casual relaxed look...when I try...it just looks a wreck! I like it..but it would be more difficult to pull the look together.

You've confirmed my thinking on the heirloom quilt;). Thanks for the reply!

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

I've seen the stonewashed in person and it looks really nice, possibly a bit more distressed than the heirloom, but not much. The heirloom's wider border makes it look a bit more formal and crisp , imo.

I doubt one is sturdier than the other, they seem to be the same quality.

• ajc9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey mitchdesj...I wish we had an RH nearby. I've had the most difficult time finding a quilt for our master. With their 20% sale going on for a few more days...I hoping to hit it right this time a choose a keeper!

• EngineerChic
    11 years ago

I like the Heirloom as well. Umm, have you looked at TJ Maxx or Marshall's, though? I have 2 quilts that look very similar to that. One in a deep cranberry red and one in a 'coffee with cream' color. Both purchased at TJ Maxx and both for $50 each (king size).

I'm sure these are beautiful, but if it's going to be a layer on the bed or folded at the foot most of the time ... A less expensive version may be close enough and would let you spend more on something else (like lighting or drapes).

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I like the heirloom better. And ditto to what EngineerC said if budget is a concern. I have this quilt below in white and it's very nice although it does have scallops.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock

• ajc9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks engineerchic and bumblebeez...

I haven't checked out TJmaxx or Marshall's...I really should. I can afford the RH but it's not like I have $ to burn either;). Do they have basic colors...like ivory? I've always heard its hard to find basics there...?

Thx for the link...I will check it out now!

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I have an ivory quilt from Overstock. It's the Vashon; comes with two very nice standard-size pillow shams. Actually, I have it in the yellow color too. It's lightweight, washes well and does not wrinkle. It may be more simple than what you're looking for, but as mentioned above Overstock has many well-priced quilts. I always read all the reviews before ordering from O. Their cheap shipping can't be beat!

Here is a link that might be useful: Overstock's Vashon quilt

• User
    11 years ago

I couldn't make that choice without seeing both. Why don't you order both and return one?

• rj56
    11 years ago

I like the details on the heirloom.

• juddgirl2
    11 years ago

I prefer the stitching pattern on the heirloom but the stonewashed looks softer. Both of my quilts (one from Overstock and one from Pottery Barn) are too stiff even though I've washed them several times.

Do they have them in the store so you can see how they look and feel?

• ajc9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sadly, I don't have a store near me, kswl!

After reading your replies...I might shop around a touch more...I just keep going back to the heirloom and may settle on it. I was also looking at a coverlet at cuddledown...a nicer price AND made in Portugal vs. China. Hmmmm. Anyway...link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuddledown

• Alittleapple
    11 years ago

I prefer the heirloom.

• User
    11 years ago

You can't order them online and return one the same way they were delivered?

• hilltop_gw
    11 years ago

Of the two you posted I like the heirloom better.

I've ordered different quilts from overstock and have been very satisfied. They wash up nice.

Just be aware of the size differences between RH and O. RH costs a little more, but they are also a little larger.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I realize I never answered your question! I'd choose the heirloom. The stonewashed quilt appears to have much larger stitches. I'd worry that it wouldn't hold up to wear and laundering as well as the heirloom quilt. Hilltop's point about O's quilts is a good one. Checking the dimensions is an important step.

• ajc9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just a quick update! Thank you for your help! The heirloom quilt came yesterday. Finally, a keeper! It is a touch more lightweight than I wanted...but is wonderful for layering. Now...onto shams and accessories!

• mitchdesj
    11 years ago

Cool !! glad you're thrilled !

• tarhlfan
    11 years ago

Oh, so glad you like it! I like the Heirloom better too just from looking at the pics. Enjoy!