Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
traveljunkie_gw

LR help...I'm afraid to ask opinion but here goes!

traveljunkie
15 years ago

I posted before that I wanted to turn my LR into a library. Well, I bought chairs that were totally different than I visualized but I like them and they are comfortable. We had company and everyone sat in this room to chat or read. My problem is that it is very tight now and I think I have to scrap my bookcase plans which I was going to put on the blank wall. What do you think of the room as it is? Too crowded? What would you put on this empty wall? I'm not sure what I would've done differently but I don't think my husband (or I can take the thought of returning stuff again and again). These chairs are 35" w & d which is smaller than alot of comfy chairs I've seen. There is room to walk behind the chair to get to the dining room but this is NOT the usual thorough way to the rest of the house. Also, I can't move the chairs so the back is facing the entryway b/c there's this ugly zipper I didn't notice until I bought all four (3 trips later!)

Like this idea but too crowded....

Comments (34)

• parma42
    15 years ago

I know you wanted the four chairs around a table or ottoman. If you went with a curved sofa and one chair or a small sectional, you could probably have your bookcase.

Keeping it in a four chair configuration, you are left with putting up a floating bookcase or a few shelves, higher on the wall.

It all depends which feature of your inspiration room appeals to you the most.

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

I think that, if you turn the chair configuration just a bit, you could put a shallow bookcase on the wall between the two chairs. I probably would put a shorter bookcase and then a nice picture or mirror above the bookcase.

LOVE the rug and the chairs. It's a nice arrangement. :)

• meg711
    15 years ago

I love that set-up and had been hoping to do that to our livingroom. (My inspiration was Zuzu's room, even though our room looks nothing like Zuzu's room.)

Have you used Arrange-a-room on the Better Homes & Garden site? What are the dimensions of your room?

Here is a link that might be useful: Arrange-a-room

• amysrq
    15 years ago

It feels too crowded to me. I know you don't want to hear this (sorry) but if you must have four chairs in that space, I would use bucket-type chairs with rounded backs. All those square edges and corners are filling up the room and reducing the feeling of flow. Even if you don't use that space as a thoroughfare, it needs to look like you could.

Of course, I think you know this. Or you wouldn't be posting. :-) I know it feels like a big drag to take the chairs back or start hunting again, but you have a definite vision for this room (which puts you way ahead of the pack in and of itself!) and you should invest the time and energy to push it toward your vision.

I would also consider giving up one chair for a bookcase if you can.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

I love the chairs, love the rug and love the ottoman and the way you have them set. It's so unexpected in a living room that it's just wonderful! And what a lovely way to sit and chat with friends. I am wondering if a round ottoman would work better though? It would still allow everyone a place to put their feet up, but give a more spacious feel. The round ottoman would break up all the straight lines and square look the room has now also.

As for a bookcase I don't see why you couldn't put shallow one all along that wall. I doubt anyone would walk behind the light colored chair. There's really no need to. If you don't like that idea then one behind the dark chair and one in the corner to the right of the light chair, leaving wall space between them for displaying art.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Just thought of another idea. You could place the chairs facing each other with two on each side of a long ottoman in the middle. This would give you plenty of room for the bookcases on that wall.
    In any case I wouldn't return the chairs. Like you said it's hard to find comfy chairs that aren't huge!

• meg711
    15 years ago

I was also going to suggest breaking the seating into two areas of two chairs each, as suggested above. If you are looking for smaller-profile but comfy chairs, then see if you can find this one by Palatial. (I posted on the furniture forum to see if anyone knew about this company but no one responded.) This chair is comfortable, very high and only 31" wide and 34" deep.

Here is a link that might be useful: Claysburg chair and ottoman

• budge1
    15 years ago

Love the chairs, but like justgotabeme above, I think they would look better with two on each side rather than at angles.

The 1st thing I thought when I looked at your pictures was that the chairs were great but the ottoman was all wrong for your arrangement. The chairs have clean modern lines, but work with the traditional elements of your home (rug, columns, etc), but the ottoman is really traditional and just doesn't go. I love the idea of a rectangular ottoman or table in between teh chairs.

If you really want to keep the chairs at angles like youve got, then you need a lower smaller and most importantly round ottoman or table in the middle. With a smaller round ottoman you would probably be able to do the bookcase as well.

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the thoughtful responses. I'm not sure what I'll do next but I appreciate all the honest answers!

• meg711
    15 years ago

Here is Zuzu's room, in all its glory, so that you can see what it would like with a round table in the middle:

• ttodd
    15 years ago

It's hard to find small scale comfy chairs so if you like them hang on to them! I have a small room w/ a large 42" cocktail table. The room is about 12'X13' w/ 1 lg. sofa & 2 small barrel back leather chairs, short bookcase, side table, drop-down writing desk & bureau w/ TV. What I think makes our small room flow better then before is the fact that the coffee table is round.

Could you do a smaller round ottoman/ coffee table?

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I agree with meg (she posted a great picture) that its the ottoman that is too overpowering for the space. A smaller round wood table would work better. I do love the rug, do you know who makes it? Are the colors black, brown and cream? I also think your bookcase idea would still work, without the ladder.

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

Yes, definitely a smaller round ottoman and, if you can, chairs with a rounded back.

Did you know that most paperbacks fit onto a 5" deep shelf, most hardback books will fit on an 8" deep bookshelf, and almost all large art books will fit on a 12" shelf? The shelves we had built into an upstairs hall and loft are all three of those sizes, depending on how much room we had -- for example, the 4.5' wide hallway has 6" shelves floor to ceiling, so we still have a plenty wide hall. The loft has 12" shelves on one wall and 8" on the other two. Once the books are up, you can't tell that they're different from each other.

My point is that even if you think you don't have room for the bookshelves, maybe you really do. Having ours custom built was cheaper than buying that many shelves readymade, even at IKEA.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Ooooooooh! Now I want to buy more chairs and arrange my front living room like this! (Or can I just move right into Zuzu's house? Is that not gorgeous?!)

Hmmmmmmm ... I could move the leather sofa into the den; I already have the round coffee table in the LR; I'd have to buy more chairs for the LR, and could develop an obsession just like Organic's ...

;-)

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The rug is made by Orian Rugs. I bought it at Costco for $229! It is cream, chocolate brown, light green and a salmon/orangy color. I think it pulls in the colors of the chairs, hardwoods & walls. I was concerned that it was too big at first.

• estreya
    15 years ago

I watched your previous thread with great interest, as i'm in the process of doing a similar thing in my front room. But can i say, traveljunkie, that you don't let any moss grow under your feet! I'm overwhelmed that you've transitioned so quickly from idea to implementation. Congratulations on a great beginning ...

Having said all that, i really love the chairs. And i love the overall feel you've got going in the room. But i agree with others here who've suggested you swap out the ottoman for something with a lower, more graceful profile.

I'm really looking forward to watching this room come together ...

• meg711
    15 years ago

traveljunkie,

What are the dimensions of your room?

• budge1
    15 years ago

ttodd, just wanted to say I love your room. That wicker table/ottoman is to die for and I love how you've mixed (and pulled off) the masculine modern chairs with the shabby chic. Also jealous of your secretary - been searching for one without luck.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

I actually preffer the chairs the way they are. It's perfect for conversation. Just thought if moving them would allow for more room for the bookshelves then I should mention it.

Maybe you should start another thread and ask for a squirrel or Linda to do a virtual for you.

• User
    15 years ago

I agree that the ottoman is just too large. A round, smaller one would make this space more manageable.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

ttodd: I have to agree with everything that budge1 said. I was thinking of your room just yesterday but couldn't remember your username. It definitely has all the right elements. Thanks for posting the pic again.

traveljunkie: Agree with everyone else about the ottoman. If you could find one like ttodd's that would be perfect. I would not give up on the built-in bookcases. That will really make this room. I'd love to see it integrated all along that back will and incorporate a small seating nook for that side window as well.

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I thought my husband would blow a gasket when I told him the ottoman probably won't work b/c yesterday he'd just about had it with my indecision, unloading, moving and returning stuff. And everyone in my family kept saying how much they like the ottoman (mostly because it has 'cool' storage drawers & pull out trays)...But he didn't scream at me! So I'm going to start looking again for the right ottoman. UGGG

Another question. I have an 'art' niche on the other wall which is 2 1/2' wide x 5' tall. Was thinking about putting a mirror and dark shelves in the niche, thoughts?

Estraya: it only 'seems' like moss hasn't grown under my feet! thanks...but we saw a showhome at least a year ago with this design and I haven't been able to find just what I want. We redid our LR & DR with hardwoods 6 months ago and my room has been sitting bare since. My husband said he was starting to really enjoy the empty room LOL! I told him that naming our children was much easier than this project!

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

one more round ottoman person here. And I am glad to know that the picture I printed out and carry with me is Zuzus!
    I can't do it because my room is a rectangle - but what I am going for is the feel( try splaining that one to dh- this is what I want our room to look like only different)
    Travl I love those chairs and rug I hope you do the shelves. You know,I would even forgo a chair or two to be able to do the library shelves.
    ttodds room is one of my favs too.

• tinker_2006
    15 years ago

I think you have a great concept going! I did this arrangement with our patio furniture (yet to be delivered).

I also did a lot of chair shopping in the past few months, and 35" D is pretty deep. I sat in a lot of them that were very comfortable and only 25" D That's a lot of space added to each chair.

I echo the round table suggestions!

I LOVE bot Zuzu's and ttodd's rooms! Very nice

• bungalow_house
    15 years ago

I think you could still do the bookcases. The chair can back right up to the bookcase.

As for the ottoman, I'm always a fan of round tables over square or rectangle...they're just much more flexible for arranging (and no chin-banging!). But I wouldn't go out and replace a brand new one, particularly if, as you said, the one you have has great storage.

Before ditching anything, I would try playing with the arrangement a bit. Did you try two chairs side by side and the other two opposite them and square off the ottoman with them?

• ladyamity
    15 years ago

The pictures posted here are soooo inspirational--thank you so much for posting them!

My 'vision' on this room, besides the fact that I love everything in it, would be to have a center coffee table made that has very short/low book shelves on each side.
    Make the coffee table a revolving table.
    In other words, a four-sided, revolving bookself/table combo.

Or, a smaller coffee table but a couple side tables next to the chairs --- the side tables would be low bookcases with a nice/coordinating tabletop.

Me being me, I love the room as is and knowing me, I'd find a way to make it work, crowded or not. *smile*

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

Where do people put their drinks? What do you use for light? I just see one lamp in the corner, do you have a good ceiling light that works for reading?

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love all the ideas that keep coming. Thank you all again! This board is great. I remodeled my kitchen last year using the kitchen forum and just love seeing homes of others and the great wealth of knowledge here.

There is no lighting in the room right now (except for the torch lamp which is leftover from before) but it is the brighest and sunniest during the day maybe it'll only be a daytime library :) . There is no overhead lights (and we have very tall ceilings...13'). This room is nowhere near completion and I haven't figured this part out yet! Depending on what I find for an ottoman and the spacing, I will probably have small side tables ??? Don't know....

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm back again. What do you think of this table? better, worse or same problem? I keep rereading all the posts. I've turned the chairs & put them side by side. Just can't get it perfect. As much as I'd like to reconsider my chairs, I'm afraid I'm stuck. Worse (very worse) comes to worse, I'll redistribute around the house... My husband and neighbor like the new setup. I'm not sure. Anyone willing to photoshop the big wall? Should I repost with that question? My camera just isn't showing the true colors of the room and I can't seem to figure out how to enlarge them on photobucket.

Here's the newest table (the wood goes perfect with my wood floors and it came with 2 side tables):

Here's my layout, choppy and rectangle and the side window throws everything off.

looks tight but there's 35" and then 45" from chair corner to corner stand.

Love ttodds room too. Help me make my room perfect sans returning chairs LOL! Thanks. Jackie

• funkyart
    15 years ago

Jackie.. I REALLY like the new table-- now it isn't the cushy ottoman you were looking for but I love the round shape and I think it really brings the "library" look into the room. How does it feel for you?

I think it is time to accessorize and make it more personal to you. Art on the walls, a plant or two? I'd love to see a bookcase in there somewhere.. perhaps opposite the knick knack alcove (is that what they are called?) or maybe some shelves in the alcove, if it fits.

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

I like the table a lot. Love the round shape, and it looks better proportioned than the ottoman which sort of seemed to overpower the other arrangement. Definitely a library/reading nook feel. Put some books on that table, and yes start accesorizing. With this arrangement do you have space for any bookshelves? Good change!

• traveljunkie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WHEW! I was ready to get blasted! It has been hard finding a round ottoman (for me) b/c I just don't like ordering things online which limits me. The ones I have seen have mostly been square or too big or $800-$1000 which I'm too cheap to spend on an ottoman...

Anyway, I 'sorta' have room for a bookcase depending on the size. Right now there is one corner of a chair that narrows the space to 14" otherwise I have about 22". That length of wall is 9'7" to the window however, the section with the pillar jets out 21". I could move the chairs and rug towards the other way but then that limits the 45" walkway...

I have to find the perfect bookcase set up or move it down past that corner of the chair. I wish I knew how to Photoshop to get a visual. May have to be custom built, know any carpenters!!

I'm starting to 'feel' better about the space but it'll take lots more work! Thanks for the thoughtful replies!!!

• funkyart
    15 years ago

If you can fit bookshelves in the room without crowding it, I think it would be terrific-- but if not, some well stacked books here and there will carry on the library theme and add some warmth and personality without taking up floor space. I also think you could do a narrow bookshelf on one of the walls beside the pillars.

The more I look at the room, the more I like it.. great job!

• les917
    15 years ago

I have to say that I am not crazy about the round table in the middle of the chairs. It feels like the arrangement is fighting the shape of the room and the rug.

Don't know if this would work, but I would turn the rug to run the other way in the room - long side running parallel to the double windows on the end. Then place the chairs side by side on each of the long sides of the rug - on square, not angled. Tables and good sized lamps between each set of two chairs for drinks, etc. No table in the middle.

By keeping the seating toward the left side of the room ( as we look at the last floor plan), it would allow bookshelves to go on the long wall to the right of the window at the top of the floor plan.

One other thing, just for grins. If the four chairs are identical in size and design, just different in color, I might try switching out the cushions - light cushions on dark chair frames, and vice versa. I think it will create a sense of greater continuity between all the seating.