Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slflaherty

Need help with furniture arrangement in nursery!

slflaherty
11 years ago

First a disclaimer: Please excuse my sad excuse for a Paint drawing. I'm clearly not very good at this and I'm pretty sure it looks like a 3 year old drew it.

Now onto my dilemma. My daughters nursery is irregularly shaped and approximately 10' x 10'. The door leading into the nursery is on a wall that is angled, the window in the room is not centred in the little "nook" that it's in, and there is a gigantic closet with a huge door that seems like it's in the way of pretty much everything. As for furniture, in the room is a crib, an antique rocking chair, a dresser that doubles as a change table, and an Expedit bookshelf from Ikea. I've thought about getting rid of the shelf to make furniture arrangement a little easier, but in addition to holding her storybooks, it also stores diapers, wipes, receiving blankets, washclothes, and other miscellaneous baby junk in wicker baskets, so we really do use it quite a bit.

We've been living with the furniture arranged how it is now for a little while, and it just doesn't feel comfortable in there. First and foremost, the rocking chair is blocking the closet door. If I want to get into the closet, I have to move the chair out of the way first. I'm hoping you guys can help me out with more ideas for arranging the furniture. I feel like it should be obvious, but I'm having the hardest time with it!

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I suspect the drawing is not to scale, so it's hard to suggest changes.

First, can you remove the closet door and replace it with a curtain? That would make it a lot easier without a lot of work. Or you could do a little more work and replace it with bypass doors so nothing swings into the room.

I would think about putting the rocker in the corner by the window and putting the shelf on the wall behind the closet door. Or if there's room, put the changing table by the crib on that wall and put the shelf and the rocking chair to make a reading/rocking nook by the window with a nice floor lamp.

• mjlb
    11 years ago

You could remove the closet door. If there is sufficient room on one side, you could re-mount it on track hardware to slide across the front of the closet. Or if there isn't enough room to the side, you could replace the door with a curtain, or even leave it open, but organize the closet interior for view.

I'd probably want the rocker to be in the window alcove area, but you know where it feels better. If rocker near window, then move changing table near crib, or possibly where bookcase is.

Any photos that you could post?

• slflaherty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I do like the idea of removing the closet door and replacing with a nice curtain. The thing is such a monster! It would definitely give me more options when it comes to placing furniture on that one wall.

I also really want the rocking chair and shelf in the alcove by the window, but I was stuck when it came to where to place the dresser...

• jollyrd
    11 years ago

I know this is an old post but I wanted to comment and also hear back from the OP to see what she came up with.

I immediately thought about "remove the closet door and hang a curtain" b/c this is what I did first with my nursery. Any door takes up 3x3 feet of space so it's a no brainer - get rid of the door. I use a tension rod for my curtain - made it from a cute piece of fabric that was on sale.

The second thought I had was to rearrange the "sections" of the room. I would move the crib and rocking chair to the right of the entry door - by the window area. And then move the dresser and shelf to the left side, next to or opposite the closet. The reason is:
    there is probably more movement in front of dresser/shelf than in front of crib. You just get the kid in and out of crib, and then sit in the rocking chair. But with the new arrangement, you can let the toddler play in the open area on the left.

• slflaherty
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I can't believe this thread popped up again. It brought back all those lovely (Not!) memories of desperating trying to find an arrangement that worked for this oddly shaped room. I did eventually find an arrangement that I was happy with.

The crib is now where the shelf was in the picture above. There is an antique rocking horse where the dresser/change table was. The bookshelf is now on the short 45 degree angle wall beside the entry door and the rocking chair is in the corner where the crib was. The dresser/change table is beside the rocking chair on the wall across from where the crib is now, and I keep diapers and the diaper genie between the dresser and the closet door. The closet door is still on there, but I can still get in and out of the closet fine and the dresser doesn't seem to be in the way too much.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    11 years ago

Thanks for the update!

• benlinus
    10 years ago

First, remove the closet door and a screen instead? This can be done very easily without much effort. Or do you still have some work to change the bypass doors in the room can change it.