Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueiris24

Help with covering awkward window

blueiris24
9 years ago

I have 3 windows that need window coverings - my living and dining rooms are attached, and this awkward window is in between the rooms. I like things simple, clean lines, no fuss, easy to clean.
I have no idea what to do with this window - as you can see it looks directly out on the neighboring house. I don't want or need anything room darkening.
This window starts about 4' from the floor, and has enough of an arc on the top that nothing really fits right.

Comments (18)

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Apologies I don't know how to upload multiple images at once - following are the dining room window and the living room - only looking to cover the lower windows of each of those.

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

living room

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Check out Redi temporary shades. The fabric ones are great, and they are a great temporary solution while you'er figuring out what you want to do.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Suggestions about window coverings should be influenced by the other items in the room and the style. For your first window, you have the options of bottom up pleated cellular shades, bottom only shutters, cafe curtains etc. It depends on what's going on in the rest of the room. Same for your other windows.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

On the arch top window, I'd inside mount some gathered sheers below the arch. Can be a sheer with texture or pattern like this embroidered bastiste. That way you let the light in and obscure the view.

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annie, can you explain more what you mean? How would I do that? (sorry, I am very limited in the decor dept) Your idea intrigues me but I need more of a visual.

Beverly, the main problem is the first window with the arch - it doesn't have enough arch to get an "arch-type of window covering" but it's enough of an arch that I can't put anything straight across it without it looking weird.

The window starts 4' up from the floor and goes almost to the ceiling, so it's also in a weird place -- I think the less the eye is drawn to it the better.

I love plantation shutters but they aren't in my budget, so I will need to go with some type of blind if I can find something to work or some basic curtain.

I'm not too worried about the other two windows - just wanted to give you an idea of what the other ones looked like if anyone has any coordinating ideas.

My dining room is red and my living room is beige. Most of the furniture is wood or neutral colors.

Tibbrix, thanks for your suggestion. This is embarrassing now, but I have lived here 14 years ;0 ha! The living room used to have a blind but it broke a few years ago and I just never replaced it - now it's time to get it together before another winter comes and all my leaves that give me privacy during the summer months are gone.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I mean something like this, without the valance topper....though you can add one if you like.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Williston Park Kitchen & Bath Designers Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly, Inc. (CKD, CBD, CR)

You can gather it on a single rod, like above, or put a rod top and bottom, like below.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Novato Kitchen & Bath Designers Julie Williams Design

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Just seemed to me that if you did half the window, that would be enough to give you privacy but you'd still have light above. This way you avoid the arch completely.

I wasn't suggesting Plantation shutters, just the regular shutters that aren't too pricey.

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Annie, I am wondering where to put the bar on the window so it wouldn't look strange - this is such an odd window, the placement is odd, the shape is odd, then I have the squares in each of them.... I'll have to give it some thought, maybe I'll give it a trial run.
    Thanks, Beverly, I didn't realize there were a cheaper version of shutters. I had never considered covering just the bottom half so I have to think about that too - I've basically ignored it because I have no idea what to do with it. The sun can come through it very strong, so I wouldn't be adverse to having something that could be opened and closed completely.
    The window is about 35' wide and then about 70" high. And like I said, it only starts about 4' from our floor.
    If I did put a bar on top as far as it reached and had sheers hang down from that, that would probably look like a ghost, wouldn't it?!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Blueiris, I have sheers in the kitchen that are like the 2nd picture Annie posted(rod, top and bottom)and love the look. I really don't need privacy, but wanted something on the windows, and this was the perfect solution. I went 3/4 up the windows since I thought 1/2 would be 'typical', just not me. I've used a valance also because I wanted a more formal look, but the sheers alone are fine. My windows are 1' from the floor, but I used the same treatment on a LR window that was 4' from the floor in my last home, and loved that too! Window length/ width shouldn't matter. Good luck with your decision.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

If you use a tension rod...spring loaded...then you can play with where to put the rod without drilling any holes. I'm thinking about 2/3 of the way up, and definitely line it up with a muntin in the window (the wooden dividers between the glass).

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I can't believe how helpful everyone on this forum is - so welcoming to those of us who are clueless - thank you all so much for taking the time to help me - I'm going to get a tension rod this afternoon and play with it for a while - I kind of like the idea of 2/3 - 3/4 way up as well, will see what it looks like -- any other ideas are still welcomed! Thank you again

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is probably not much help but it's all I have for now - I went out and got a pressure rod and a sheer just to see what it looked like. I put it about 2/3 up the window (because that's how far I could reach) and I came home and someone in my house took it upon themselves to put it all the way up. If I decide to go this route, I think I'll get a white pressure rod and a white sheer (they were out of stock) -- here are my ignorant questions:
    1) If I keep the sheers, do I want one panel like this, or should I get two panels so it looks like it can "open"?
    2) Where should the bottom of the sheer curtain end? At the wooden window ledge? Below it? Does the answer differ if the sheer is all the way up like this or if it's halfway down?
    Thank you!

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Late in commenting, but I would use double spring loaded rods as in the photo of the tub, Annie shared with your rods at top and bottom of you window. If you want more light, you could lower the top rod to be even with the bottom of the top pane, or leave it full.

• carolssis
    9 years ago

I have windows in my kitchen that start 4 in. from floor and have curved top windows. The bottoms are slide windows. Lucky for us, some one had installed a 4 in. deep shelf into the window casing and we have horizontal blinds on the bottom. I love being able to look out the top of the windows. I would put in tension rods, and leave the upper panes uncovered to show off the curve of the top. I would have the top 2 rows of glass panes uncovered. Use as many panels as you feel comfortable with, for privacy and or light control. The inbetween window only needs to be covered up to the top 2 panes, leave the top open to showcase the shape at the top and let in light. I would try the same for the living room windows. I like the deep set back of the windows, and I would leave the bottom hem right on the sill. Good luck and I hope you get it like you want and it pleases you. I just like the look of showing off that top curve.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would put the top rod at 2/3 up, lined up with a muntin and then hem the curtain to the top of the ledge so the fabric is contained within the woodwork. The 1 panel you have now is ok. If you want to screen the view more, than use two panels. I think the top and bottom rods can work well too.

But I don't like the rod all the way up as it makes it look like a mistake given the arch. Lowering the top rod makes it look more intentional and makes more of the arch.

• blueiris24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I agree with not having the rod all the way up - I live in a house of men, and I think they thought they were helping me when I was gone. Now that I have something up on the window I like the warmth of it, so I will try again -- I think I'll follow up with a shorter sheer and bring the rod down and maybe get another sheer just to try that look. Thank you

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Agree with Annie. I've seen the pretty arched windows with drapes all the way up, leaving just a slit above the drapes where the arch is, and it looks dumb. Definitely keep a reasonable space between the top of the curtain and the top of the arch.