Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheesharee

Picture: spray painting mat - what to do w/ frame?

Sheeisback_GW
12 years ago

I don't care for the mat and frame of this picture. I dislike the mat even more than the frame. I'm not looking to spend any money on this which is why I'm going the direction I am.

I was planning to spray paint the mat off white (Rustoleum Heirloom White) and figured I should makeover the frame too. If the underside of the mat is white, maybe I'll just flip it.

{{!gwi}}

Paint it black, dark brown, dry brush? It currently is a goldish green color with a gold leaf look.

{{!gwi}}

Here's a few mock ups I did on allposters.com.

I think the all black looks kind of harsh.

{{!gwi}}

I like the wood look but since I'm not replacing the frame I'd have to use paint or stain somehow.

{{!gwi}}

Thoughts?

Comments (9)

• natal
    12 years ago

You might be happy with the frame once the mat is white.

• rockmanor
    12 years ago

I've recyled quite a few old frames by using Rub N' Buff on them. You might like your frame done over with a bronze or copper finish combined with your newly painted off white mat. One tube of RnB has been enough to redo up to half a dozen frames, depending on their sizes, so it's pretty economical.

• DLM2000-GW
    12 years ago

shee - just so you know, you're not limited to what you can get in a spray can. I paint mats with plain old acrylic craft paint, even doing mottled finishes with multiple colors and glaze. Works like a charm.

• ratherbesewing
    12 years ago

Was this print orginally "professionally" framed? I am asking because I attempted to change a mat and couldn't assemble the picture and frame back together.There weren't any metal tabs to fold down to keep the glass, mat and picture in place. Do you framers understand what I mean? Is there something I can purchase to reassemble?

• Sheeisback_GW
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't get to mess with the picture today like I wanted but hopefully tomorrow. I honestly really don't love the picture anymore either. Its one of those "until I find something I love to take it's place." I had planned to do a makeover ever since I bought it but didn't get around to it.

Natal - Good point. I'll start with that first.

Lazygardens - Another good point about flipping the mat.
    I actually think the colors in the picture and frame clash with the mat (greens).

Rock - I didn't even think about Rub N Buff. I currently only have the gold and patina but have been wanting to get the copper one for a long time.

Dlm - I didn't even think about craft paints. I do have a quart of SW Antique White I figured I'd also take a look at. It's good to know other people do paint mats. Cheap fix. :)

Ratherbesewing - It looks like this was professionaly framed. How was your picture/frame held together? I have another double mat framed picture I took apart once. The picture fell down and I just used tape to move it back up. It was so long ago I don't remember how it was together. I was crossing my fingers I could figure out the one above.

I'll let you know how it goes.

• ljwrar
    12 years ago

ratherbesewing, you can reassemble a frame with glazier points from a hardware store. They are metal points with tabs. Just use a flat screwdriver to push them into the frame.

Here is a link that might be useful: glaziers points

• ratherbesewing
    12 years ago

Glazier points! Who knew?? Perhaps now I will dig that half finished project out of the back of my closet. Thanks.

• User
    12 years ago

If you paint the frame a medium to darker brown, you could use shoe polish or acrylic brown paint to "antique" it and give it a ORB look.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks