Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homersmom

Need help with selecting bath lighting

homersmom
9 years ago

We're 10 days out from starting our master bath facelift. I'm struggling with vanity fixture styles. The room is traditional and the plumbing fixtures are chrome. Any suggestions on styles that might work or styles to avoid? Here is a rendering of the vanity. We have not selected mirrors yet - stick with oval or? Thanks!

Comments (12)

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic of the plumbing fixtures.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I'd get two LARGE rectangular mirror and put sconces in, not fixtures over the mirrors.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sink vanities are only 33" wide, so I'm not sure there would be enough room for a mirror and two sconces for each side.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

If you're doing the wiring, you should be able to put sconces on the side walls and the opposing wall on the tower also. That would be beautiful too.

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The rendering is misleading - there is no wall on the left. I need to use a light bar.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Tibbrix and I just went through helping someone with lights, so I'll pass on some of what I learned after looking at hundreds of chrome vanity lights.

First, is that your only lighting? If you need three lights over each mirror, I would use rectangular mirrors. The mock-ups the other poster did with a three-light over an oval mirror didn't look as nice as a two-light or side sconces. You'll also be able to see more of yourself in a rectangular mirror. I have a three-light over a temporary 24" rectangular mirror over a 36" vanity, and helping her convinced me to stick with a rectangular mirror.

Secondly, some chrome vanity lights can look cheap imo while others in the same price range can look more expensive. It's in the detailing and the glass shades.

Then we had the discussion of feminine vs. utilitarian style, which her bathroom was a mix of both, having the original chunky sink from the 1950s but pink tile. I see yours as a more feminine bathroom with the curved lines of the faucet (we had that Moen faucet and it was great), the door style and feet, the arched glass on the hutch. So look for curved instead of angular features on your lighting.

Here's a link to her thread. There were a lot of lights suggested and discussion of the "whys".

Here is a link that might be useful: lighting thread

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks may flowers!

• busybee3
    9 years ago

we have a master bath now with a vanity very similar to yours with a tower between the sinks--- the mirrors are full wall above the sinks with wood frame around the edges and crown at ceiling and the lights are vanity lights mounted on the glass centered above the sinks... it what the previous owners had and we kept it like that... haven't really used yet, but i think it will be fine...

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Have you purchased the vanity already? We have a 60" two-sink vanity in our MB in that configuration. I hate how so much of it goes to sink base. When we remodel, I planned on using a counter hutch at first but I really didn't want to give up the counter space and elbow room. My thinking now is to do drawers for the sink base, where the top drawer is notched around the plumbing. You just pull the drawers out to access the plumbing. Then the middle space could be a cabinet or pull-out trash or hamper with a small drawer above it.

With the hutch design, I would do as busybee suggests for lights.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I just thought of a tip from my cabinet maker when he drew a plan for our vanity. He said he could recess the hutch into the wall about 3", as you do with a medicine cabinet. I liked that the hutch would be less obtrusive while still giving plenty of storage. IIRC from the comments, these hutches are recessed. I think the mirrored fronts are very clever to reflect light and make the hutch blend with the mirrors.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Huntington Interior Designers & Decorators AMI Designs

• homersmom
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Everything is set in stone except for the mirror and lights. I found a couple today that would work.

• osagecounty
    9 years ago

There's such a difference between overhead and side lighting in a bathroom. The older you get the more important that becomes. I hate hotels that only offer overhead.